Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: My Little Fortress Part 2: Electric Boogaloo - 2020 (DF 47.04)  (Read 27732 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress Part 2: Electric Boogaloo - 2020 (DF 47.04)
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2022, 04:01:32 pm »

Getting the mod updated to work with the classic version of DF when it's released should be fairly easy.  As far as I can tell, most of the creature stuff is the same, so it's possible that the raws will work as-is.  Entities may need a little tweaking.

Making a graphical version of the mod would be really cool but would be a pretty huge undertaking.  It would be a couple hundred sprites to make different mane styles and colors for ponies, for clothes and so on.  Then if you make zebras, griffons or whatever else was part of the mod then there's that much more.  The graphics configuration files are also really verbose, so if the dwarf files are any indication it'll take tens of thousands of lines of configuration for them all.  Not sure how much of it could be reused from dwarves either.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2022, 05:12:49 pm »

Getting the mod updated to work with the classic version of DF when it's released should be fairly easy.  As far as I can tell, most of the creature stuff is the same, so it's possible that the raws will work as-is.  Entities may need a little tweaking.

Making a graphical version of the mod would be really cool but would be a pretty huge undertaking.  It would be a couple hundred sprites to make different mane styles and colors for ponies, for clothes and so on.  Then if you make zebras, griffons or whatever else was part of the mod then there's that much more.  The graphics configuration files are also really verbose, so if the dwarf files are any indication it'll take tens of thousands of lines of configuration for them all.  Not sure how much of it could be reused from dwarves either.

Someone actually contacted me on Discord after I posted that, and they've already begun working on porting it. As you said most of it works fine on it, just doesn't have graphics and thus uses the default little blue blob graphic, but the person making the mod has sprites and ideas for giving graphics to the ponies.

There's been a few hiccups already, but it's slow but steady progress from what I've seen on their end.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2022, 09:25:51 pm »

Update, the person working on getting this to the Steam Version of DF is open to having anyone help them in this endeavor, so feel free to DM me if you're interested in getting their contact info! They're doing some pretty good sprite work to get this working but they're open to having anyone else help them in other areas, I'm looking forward to it myself!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 09:27:53 pm by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2022, 09:26:31 am »

I'm looking forward to seeing it too, but unfortunately wouldn't have time to contribute.

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2022, 12:22:14 pm »

Is there some trick to not getting an endless string of rejections during world creation? It always seems to happen when "placing civs" reaches around 45 or so.

And even if it manages to work, it crashes when finalizing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 01:57:10 pm by Comito »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2022, 03:33:06 pm »

Is there some trick to not getting an endless string of rejections during world creation? It always seems to happen when "placing civs" reaches around 45 or so.

And even if it manages to work, it crashes when finalizing.

We haven't had much of any issues when genning, if this is in regards to just moving all of this to Steam edition. But we did only move a few files and not all of them. In that we didn't move over files that were already in Vanilla, since Vanilla has sectioned out it's content now, so we only moved over the stuff for the new Ponies, changelings, etc to be there.

Here's a screenshot of the only files that were moved over atm, it should only include all the new pony stuff so as to not conflict with the vanilla stuff, so let us know if it's missing anything.

Comito

• Bay Watcher
  • Barrens chat scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2022, 06:12:45 pm »

I mean the 47.04 version.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2022, 06:24:20 pm »

I mean the 47.04 version.

In that casing, I have no clue, it's working just fine on my end.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2022, 05:00:16 pm »

Just to give a heads up, the one that was uploaded to the workshop today by King of Turves isn't the one being worked on with my slight assistance. The person working on the one we're doing with the graphics and all is called Poopsikins on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/llarkin67/

That being said, be sure to check out King of Turves version regardless, I just wanted to let people know that it's not the one I'm talking about in terms of someone working on getting it to steam.

Kingofturves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2022, 05:14:01 pm »

Hi Unknown72,
Kingofturves here. Apologies for not reaching out. My laziness/incompetence with navigating the labyrinthian nature of the Dwarf Fortress forums.
Some timidity at reaching out to strangers. Some impatience in just wanting to play around with the files and using it as a motivation to edit text files and see how things work.
I wasn't sure of the status of the pony mod community for the steam version.
Some of the search results for google were for much older versions of the Pony mods, and some of them seemed quite divergent from the FiM TV series.
So I wasn't exactly sure who to talk to.

I think I used your files as a source. So I'd like to ask retroactive permission. Hopefully I've stated on the steam page that I don't view it as my own work.
Would you like crediting on the page as a source, in text files in the mod, etc.
Not exactly such on the etiquette of these things as the last time I ever messed around with text files was making a few scenarios in Civilisation II.

My edits to the files for the mod have been to mainly just have the MLP races, but mostly using the Dwarf Fortress items, clothes, etc.
Have any of the races as playable civs.
I do fancy trying to work out how to add Deer as a replacement for Elves as the Wood obsessed tree dwelling civilization.
I'm curious as to whether Diamond Dogs can be modified to be able to mine without the need for picks.
I also wonder if its possible to have a player race be ruled by a legendary monster, for example, have the Alicorns be generated at world's creation like other megabeasts (dragons etc.) As they don't seem to pop up in the pony civs?

Would it be okay to come to you to advice on how to edit text files, I assume this stuff is mainly your work, or your work as part of other user's like: Sorcerer or Nidokoenig.
I'm kinda fascinated as to how these mods develop over the decade or so along in parallel with the game itself.
Would you like me to rename my uploaded mod to avoid confusion, help promote the one that you're working on to release on steam?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the graphics.
I apologize for being a bit bull headed in wanting to get a mod as soon as possible.

Hope you've had a good Christmas and wish you a Happy New Year! :D

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2023, 01:43:57 am »

Hi Unknown72,
Kingofturves here. Apologies for not reaching out. My laziness/incompetence with navigating the labyrinthian nature of the Dwarf Fortress forums.
Some timidity at reaching out to strangers. Some impatience in just wanting to play around with the files and using it as a motivation to edit text files and see how things work.
I wasn't sure of the status of the pony mod community for the steam version.
Some of the search results for google were for much older versions of the Pony mods, and some of them seemed quite divergent from the FiM TV series.
So I wasn't exactly sure who to talk to.

I think I used your files as a source. So I'd like to ask retroactive permission. Hopefully I've stated on the steam page that I don't view it as my own work.
Would you like crediting on the page as a source, in text files in the mod, etc.
Not exactly such on the etiquette of these things as the last time I ever messed around with text files was making a few scenarios in Civilisation II.

My edits to the files for the mod have been to mainly just have the MLP races, but mostly using the Dwarf Fortress items, clothes, etc.
Have any of the races as playable civs.
I do fancy trying to work out how to add Deer as a replacement for Elves as the Wood obsessed tree dwelling civilization.
I'm curious as to whether Diamond Dogs can be modified to be able to mine without the need for picks.
I also wonder if its possible to have a player race be ruled by a legendary monster, for example, have the Alicorns be generated at world's creation like other megabeasts (dragons etc.) As they don't seem to pop up in the pony civs?

Would it be okay to come to you to advice on how to edit text files, I assume this stuff is mainly your work, or your work as part of other user's like: Sorcerer or Nidokoenig.
I'm kinda fascinated as to how these mods develop over the decade or so along in parallel with the game itself.
Would you like me to rename my uploaded mod to avoid confusion, help promote the one that you're working on to release on steam?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the graphics.
I apologize for being a bit bull headed in wanting to get a mod as soon as possible.

Hope you've had a good Christmas and wish you a Happy New Year! :D

It's all good! I can understand the want to get it out there, I just wanted to make sure people knew that the one you did wasn't the one that me and the person I linked were working on, to avoid any confusion in getting the 2 mixed up!

Credits wise, I actually haven't contributed much to the mod itself, just minor editing to keep it up-to-date with the DF version of the time! I'd recommend absolutely crediting the original creators Sorcerer and Nidokoenig on the steam page however, as this is all their work with my minor edits!

In terms of deer I could see that as just copying the Earth Pony set up, getting rid of it's Castes (as that's how the cutie marks work), and adding Horns to them (in all regards this wouldn't be too hard to do, just time consuming.)

Diamond Dogs being modified to not need picks for mining does sound possible, but I'm struggling to remember what the tag would be for enabling it if any. Same with having Legendary Monsters ruling a civ, though I think that already happens as sometimes Dragons, Demons and other creatures become leader/monarch of a Civ, albeit rarely.

I would highly recommend checking out the DF Wiki and keeping an eye out on the DF Modding Questions thread, the DF Wiki is really good at documenting all the information needed for making your own mods, like how to make your own unique stuff, how tags work, etc etc, and if you ever have questions, the Modding Questions thread users typically answer near instantly. The Kitfox Discord would also be a good place for modding help and information!

And absolutely feel free to edit it as you like, it's open source for anyone to utilize and do what they will with it!

In terms of name, maybe adding something like "Unofficial" to it or the like? Up to you really, I don't really mind the name itself, I'm fairly sure the one Poopsikins is working on is going to be called My Little Fortress or some variation of it.

You have a good Christmas and new year as well!

And speaking of progress, have this funny little preview as Poopsikins tries to get it working right.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:49:28 am by Unknown72 »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2023, 08:28:03 pm »

Update: The person that was working on getting it in, Poopsikins, with graphics and all, has had to pause development due to real life issues taking precedent. Fortunately, for those interested Kingofturves has made their own version already! So I highly recommend checking them out on steam if you haven't already!

Here's a link to it, since I forgot to link it before: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2906176996

This is something Kingofturves has been working on by themselves, so props to them for their hard work!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 08:31:27 pm by Unknown72 »

Kingofturves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2023, 09:42:49 pm »

I've managed to get some placeholder sprites for various entities. The re-introduction of the Arena has been rather helpful to look at the rare one's like the Changeling Queen, etc.
These are 32 by 32 pixel sized icons. Scoured from across the internet. I've had to use GIMP to reduce these images down to the correct size (have since corrected the changeling queen as pixels outside the 32x32 square won't display, unless some other special options required?). As they are 32x32, they are rather simple, had to use sharpen and other options to bring out details. They're a bit limited, since they only have one adult, one child, one corpse, etc. image per caste.
I haven't figured out the pony castes, looks like it requires more text as there seem to be 10 castes (5 male, 5 female) per phenotype of pony (earth pony/unicorn/Pegasus) and 4 alicorn castes. So a bit more text files to write up.
Current limitations; no variation for hair colour/style, mane colour. I'm guessing this might be possible but might need more images?
Was quite hard to find suitable existing sprite files of Diamond Dogs, etc that were without clothes and had full bodies.
Most of these sprites were modified from True Frenzy on Deviantart, seemed to be under the fair use license.
Might need to redraw the Diamond Dogs to remove clothes, if planning to add clothes/armour variation, etc. in future, implementation dependent on enthusiasms.

One possibly useful addition, domestic horses has the following code;
"
[LAYER:BAGS:SADDLEBAGS_DOMESTIC:0:1]
         [CONDITION_NOT_CHILD]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MIN:1]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MAX:4]
      [LAYER:BAGS:SADDLEBAGS_DOMESTIC:1:1]
         [CONDITION_NOT_CHILD]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MIN:5]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MAX:9]
      [LAYER:BAGS:SADDLEBAGS_DOMESTIC:2:1]
         [CONDITION_NOT_CHILD]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MIN:10]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MAX:14]
      [LAYER:BAGS:SADDLEBAGS_DOMESTIC:3:1]
         [CONDITION_NOT_CHILD]
         [CONDITION_HAUL_COUNT_MIN:15]
"
This text is neat as it will apply saddlebags to the horses in the normal unmodified dwarf fortress game when they are carrying objects around like stones, etc.
Copying this into the graphics text file for ponies will make the ponies have saddle bags when hauling. Kinda neat.... might have other applications like animation of alternative poses?

I assume that each sex of the pony phenotype has 5 separate caste defaults in order to over come Dwarf Fortresses' assumption that all the dwarves will have similar skin colour, etc. So having 5 castes of male earth ponies and 5 female earth ponies, would ensure more coat colour variation.
Might take longer for me to right a text file that references them.
So I will possibly need images for the following?

"CASTE:E_DEFA_M][CASTE:E_DEFA_M1][CASTE:E_DEFA_M2][CASTE:E_DEFA_M3][CASTE:E_DEFA_M4]
[CASTE:E_DEFA_F][CASTE:E_DEFA_F1][CASTE:E_DEFA_F2][CASTE:E_DEFA_F3][CASTE:E_DEFA_F4]

[CASTE:P_DEFA_M][CASTE:P_DEFA_M1][CASTE:P_DEFA_M2][CASTE:P_DEFA_M3][CASTE:P_DEFA_M4]
[CASTE:P_DEFA_F][CASTE:P_DEFA_F1][CASTE:P_DEFA_F2][CASTE:P_DEFA_F3][CASTE:P_DEFA_F4]

[CASTE:U_DEFA_M][CASTE:U_DEFA_M1][CASTE:U_DEFA_M2][CASTE:U_DEFA_M3][CASTE:U_DEFA_M4]
[CASTE:U_DEFA_F][CASTE:U_DEFA_F1][CASTE:U_DEFA_F2][CASTE:U_DEFA_F3][CASTE:U_DEFA_F4]

[CASTE:A_PRIN_F][CASTE:A_PRIN_F1][CASTE:A_PRIN_F2][CASTE:A_PRIN_F3][CASTE:A_PRIN_F4]
"

On Alicorns and population ratios.
The text files I used had the Earth Pony, Pegasi & Unicorns as POP RATIO: 100000 and the Alicorn at 100.
The Alicorn never seemed to spawn. So I just reduced the Earth Pony, Pegasi and Unicorn down to 100 each.
The result seemed to improve the chance of one Alicorn spawning. It was suprising that only one spawned, I assume this might be due to the link with Alicorns being eligible for the leadership position of Princess. So I would recommend this alteration to the POP RATIO amounts in the creature files.
Although the Alicorn still seems to have a bad habit of being killed or eaten by others in world generation if the history is long enough.
Also there only ever seems to be one Alicorn, shared by the entire multiple pony societies, regardless of world size.

Hope Poopsikins is okay, I understand how real life issues can and do need to take precedence. If they are able to continue at some point in the future, I look forward to seeing the results, as my own skills are a bit limited and I've many relied on what's available on the Internet.

At some point on my days off, I shall have a go and see if I can get the pony sprites to properly display for Earth Pony, Unicorn, Pegasus, Male/Female, Alicorn, etc.
Although they might only still have the same eye and hair colour.

I wonder if a larger sprite like 64x64 or 126x126, 256x256, etc. will be still the same size on screen or just more detailed? But might be easier to recognise.

Hope you are all well.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2023, 01:21:26 am »

I wonder if a larger sprite like 64x64 or 126x126, 256x256, etc. will be still the same size on screen or just more detailed? But might be easier to recognise.

You may want to check out how werecreatures and forgotten beast graphics work.  I don't remember for sure if the RAWs for them are exposed or if they're automatically generated, but the graphics are larger than the usual creatures so that implies that it's possible to use larger sprites.  The game still treats creatures as a single tile, so the graphics can end up clipping, but I'm pretty sure it does work at least.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]