Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization Forge Unofficial Branch - v2 release  (Read 2708 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Civilization Forge Unofficial Branch - v2 release
« on: November 24, 2019, 10:24:27 pm »

CIVILIZATION FORGE UNOFFICIAL BRANCH
[DISCLAIMER]
I am not the original creator of this mod.
Mephansteras has granted me permission to upload my personal update to his mod, found here, since he's unsure when he'll actually have a release available for the mod proper.

WHAT THIS MOD DOES DO
Updates, trims, strips out antiquated systems, and brings Civilization Forge (mostly) to v47.04, and integrates Fungus Expansion and Splint's Utility Mod into the mod, to allow for more varied stuff, and more efficient building, among other things. Some of these changes are based solely on personal preference, and do not reflect any design choices Mephansteras may make.

WHAT THIS MOD DOES NOT DO
Claim to be the original mod, its replacement, or take credit where it isn't due.

Spoiler: CHANGED STUFF (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: REMOVED STUFF (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NEW STUFF IN VERSION 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PLANNED STUFF (click to show/hide)
CREDITS
Mephansteras - For creating Civilization Forge and granting permission for this unofficial branch to be made available publically. It was a good mod once upon a time, and I'm eager to see the mod brought up to modern specs properly.
ZM5 - For help in fixing the bugged invertebrates.
MottledPetrel - For Fungus Expansion

NOTICE!
This release may have issues. Please please please let me know if problems crop up.

D O W N L O A D   H E R E

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Unofficial Branch - v1 release
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:34:26 pm »

reserved, in case I need it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge Unofficial Branch - v2 release
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 12:30:01 am »

What's up you beautiful motherfuckers, I bet you thought I wasn't gonna keep up with this.

Well guess again.

While it's been a long-ass time in the making (not really, I literally did this in an afternoon,) I've finally gotten off my ass to make another release!

The main things in V2 are some minor updates to bring the mod up to v47.04, namely adding the Dungeon Master to the dwarf entity, adding altars and dice where needed, and updating the mod to use the most up to date version of the utility mod.

As mentioned on the OP above there, in the README file, and on the download page, this update consists of the following.
- Included Utility files and entities that use them updated to SUM v11.
- All entities updated to include die and altars where appropriate.
- A "No Additions" version that removes the Utility Mod, for those who prefer that. You'll lose bedrolls and anvil casting going that route, but those aren't strictly essential anyways.
- A playable Vamarii entity found in its own folder, with a very mild focus on living in colder climates.

Now the Vamarii are a little more special, in that they are designed to live in colder biomes. This is achieved by a few unique buildings, the Iceshaper's Shrine, and Icepump.

The Iceshaper's Shrine
Built from a bunch of blocks and some statues, the shrine's main purpose is to shape items from ice into the desired furniture. However, it can also be used to create the steel-grade Enchanted Ice, which can then be worked by stonecrafters and masons, be split into rough gems for jewelers to work, or cut into bars for smiths to turn into military gear and other goods that way. It's more valuable than iron or silver, but the relative ease of access to its base parts makes it much less valuable than steel or gold.

The caveats are that you need silver and flux to make the stuff, and a cold environment in which to make/harvest the ice you need as well (any old hunk of ice will do,) so as the Vamarii you need to be at least a little picky about where you set up to get the most out of their stuff.

The Icepump
Built from blocks and a statue. Basically a glorified water pump, its main job is to vomit out ice boulders for use in the Iceshaper's Shrine in the event you lack a decent amount of frozen water to harvest locally to meet your needs, though you can also use it to fill barrels and buckets with drinking water. For best roleplay results, settle on an aquifer of some kind or stick it by a body of water.

Like the shrine, you need a cold environment for the boulders, otherwise you'll just be making puddles of water in the workshop.

You'll also find they have some nobles renamed/removed.
- Monarchs are referred to as Tsars and Tsarinas
- The Militia Commander and Captain have been renamed to the Militia Captain and Sergeant respectively
- Army Captains have been removed.
- Dungeon Masters are referred to as Spymasters among the Vamarii.

The Vamarii as a playable entity are entirely optional, as is the Utility and Fungus Expansion stuff. I'm also reasonably certain I remembered to include a patch for the mod's unique dyes for the shield painter in the main version, but don't quote me on that. Knowing me and my own slothful nature, I probably forgot to do that properly.

Everything should, in theory, work correctly as I reused Meph's iceshaper reactions with his permission, but if something doesn't work then please LET ME KNOW. As I will 100% confess to having not fully play-tested this shit properly.

As before there is almost certainly a mess of issues or missing tags or what have you, seeing as I'm basically just kicking this mod up a few versions.  Hell, for all I know given that it's after midnight here, I forgot one or more entity tags for the Vamarii or something.

Any suggestions, offerings of stuff to crowbar in, or big reports are appreciated.

Enjoy! Or don't, it's not really my business what you do with your spare time.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 04:08:17 am »

Besides the Vamarii race mentioned here, are any of the other races playable?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 12:49:46 pm »

Besides the Vamarii race mentioned here, are any of the other races playable?

Nope, but I'm open to suggestions.

Stokeling9701

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:55:01 am »

could have the Chaos dwarves be able to make evil constructs (golems/mechanical machines) that run off of blood or something. Hobgoblins could focus on mass production and maybe slavery?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 01:49:00 am »

In regards to the former, being able to make various constructs is doable but a bit janky, and requires DFhack or an extremely clunky workaround.

The latter could be doable, tough minus slavery (it's just not something able to be done without a derpy caste-level workaround which floods your fort with inept rubes and insufficient numbers of leaders/competent fighters.)