Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Legionary’s Life  (Read 7241 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: A Legionary’s Life
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 01:13:35 pm »

a Napoleonic wars, say
The problem is that the closer you get to modern the more war becomes unpredictable bullshit, where you're hit by a projectile from far away and never get to see who did it. (in a Napoleonic setting you get to see the color of the guy's uniform, in WWII you get shot by some mortar team you can barely hear and in the deserts of Afghanistan a white devil from Nevada shoots you with a missile from his drone) There are only so many stories you can set in the classical/medieval period without them blending together.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 03:21:14 pm »

At least in the earlier version I played, everything pretty much happens in the same way each playthrough. There are a few random encounters you can get in different orders or miss, and there are a very few path branches depending on random rolls and your skills at the time, but all the major battles will happen for your soldier each time.

There is some limited replayability in that each character adds (a little) to a pool of bonus points for the next character, but I just couldn't be bothered to grind and grind to get the swordmaster / shieldmaster perks.

The demo was fun for me but I really don't think it's a game you can play with much replayability, but all things considered it's still cheaper then going for a movie and will probably entertain me for longer so may buy it later. Don't think it's going to be one of those 50 hour + timesinks though.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 04:51:32 pm »

There's only so much that can be done narrative-wise. If you allow major deviation from the main plot, it takes away the feeling of being "just one mortal", which is the whole point of the game: playing a game where the world doesn't center around you.

Now if they added more time periods where you could choose,  then the hall of fame would be more like a bloodline; although this does bring up the issue of balance. Is this "adventure" balanced around a fresh character, 1000 points, 10000 points etc.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 06:01:17 pm »

I'd be pretty enthused if there was a mode that just gave you a faux-historical what-if scenario where the campaign randomly deviates from what was supposed to happen, giving you different playthroughs without making your decisions a deciding factor. Tho I'm guessing this engine wasn't made with that in mind, or it'd take too long to give the alternative scenarios the same kind of detail, and that's fine.

I just hope this inspires more games of a similar fashion. Exploring what pre-modern military life (probably) looked like in between the great battles is pretty novel on its own.

a Napoleonic wars, say
The problem is that the closer you get to modern the more war becomes unpredictable bullshit, where you're hit by a projectile from far away and never get to see who did it. (in a Napoleonic setting you get to see the color of the guy's uniform, in WWII you get shot by some mortar team you can barely hear and in the deserts of Afghanistan a white devil from Nevada shoots you with a missile from his drone) There are only so many stories you can set in the classical/medieval period without them blending together.
I would note that in this game you only ever get javellined at pre-determined events and shrug it off pretty easily for what'd probably be a pretty debilitating injury. Can just spare the player from getting insta-killed by random artillery or firearms fire.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 10:45:27 pm »

I just hope this inspires more games of a similar fashion. Exploring what pre-modern military life (probably) looked like in between the great battles is pretty novel on its own.

a Napoleonic wars, say
I would note that in this game you only ever get javellined at pre-determined events and shrug it off pretty easily for what'd probably be a pretty debilitating injury. Can just spare the player from getting insta-killed by random artillery or firearms fire.

All true.  Not to mention in the Napoleonic period there wouldn't be much to spend your wages on between battles... just whores and drink mainly.  And no excercising to speak of.  Just grooming for lice and standing guard.  Ah, the soldier's life never really changes, even when it does.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."
Pages: 1 2 [3]