Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bay12 plays Rimworld - Join a community fort in outer space!  (Read 14078 times)

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay12 plays Rimworld - Join a community fort in outer space!
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:45:58 am »

You wake up to the sound of blaring alarms and flashing red lights. In the next instant, your are ejected from your cryosleep casket into the weightless main corridor of the passenger liner which was supposed to take you to a better life on one of the Glitterworlds.

The hallway is soon filled with other people who have likewise just been ejected from what is probably several decades of deep slumber and are now vomiting all over the place due to cryosleep sickness. Frequent explosions violently shakes the ship and its terrified passengers. After you've gotten your bearings, you and a few other passengers make your way for the control room, which you find completely empty. On the big mainscreen is an image of what seems to be an inhabitable planet which is quickly coming closer. According to the screen's graphics, the planet is called Al Bellatrix and it does not look like the paradise that was promised in the commercials:

It seems that the ship has somehow ended up at the very rim of the civilized galaxy and that the ship is heading straight towards a desolate rock with no means to turn back. As the foreboding planet draws nearer, you brace yourselves for the impact. This is going to be a rough landing.

Hello everyone! As a long-time lurker on these forums (and on the DF community games sub in particular) I've been wanting to do a community fort for a while. I'm not very good at Dwarf Fortress though, so now I have decided to do one in RimWorld, which, as you may know, is basically simplified Dwarf Fortress in a sci-fi setting. The base game is a bit bland and rather too easy, so I will of course be using a bunch of mods, mainly consisting of the HarcoreSK modpack.

Rimworld allows you to customize and control your pawns (that's what dorfs are called in this game) more directly than DF and I will use this to make this community fort more interactive. Therefore, I hope that you will join me on this journey to the edges of galactic civilization by signing yourself up for dorfing uhm, pawning list and hopefully partake in the adventure through roleplay.

Pawning
Since people in this game are called pawns, I guess there will be a pawning list for those who want to get pawned. When I get any requests I will list them here.

Currently pawned:
Jebidiah
Mimiko
Kingawsum
Darius

Waiting list:
Lunar
0cra (Good shooter, hates the cold)
Uke (Very Neurotic, Chemical Interest, Fast Walker or Creepy Breathing)

Roleplaying and interaction
It will be possible for roleplaying to affect in-game events so if you want to put others in jail, build your own house or make a statue of yourself, then that is going to be possible. And if you get your peers to elect you leader then you can order other people around as well. So I hope we can get some RP going!

Chapters
Chapter I: A Brave New World
Chapter II: A New Home
Chapter III: Winter Is Coming
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:01:10 pm by Emilovich »

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
Re: Bay12 plays Rimworld - Join a community fort in outer space!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:15:37 pm »

Name: kingawsume (whatever surname happens to be default for that pawn)
Race: Human
Appearance: Black hair, scruffy beard, small scars (if available)
Backstory: Because of his "mental capabilities," his parents didn't have time for him. He found solace in a old barn and a BB gun. He liked making pictures out of the holes on his target paper, and colored them in on occasion. He may be a little special, but show him a firearm or brush, and he'll light up.
Taits: Savant, Sharpshooter
Religion: Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (or some other outlandish religion)
Skills: 15 Shooting, 5 Crafting, 5 Construction, 5 Artistic
Passions: Major Passion in Shooting and Artistic, minor in Construction.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:41:40 pm »

Revised, see below.
Word of warning, I haven't actually played Rimworld so I might not have this quite right, like how many traits we can pick?

Name: Mimiko Nya
Race: (Female) Cat Person
Appearance: Green eyes. Platinum blonde hair, mixed blonde/white fur on the rest of the body to the extent it's possible
Backstory: The Cat People have not been treated well (or at least not Mimiko's home world), alternately exploited for their exotic looks or forced into harsh containment programs for fear of a population explosion. ( :P ) Mimiko grew up surrounded by decaying remnants of past mining operations and barely regulated terraforming experiments. Hellish by glitterworld standards, she thought it fairly normal until some 'charity' organization 'rescued' her settlement when she was a teen. With few high tech skills to market in her new life, she spent the better part of her adulthood as a nanny in wealthy human households, playing games with the children by day and playing a different sort of game with her employers after the tots were tucked in bed.
Traits: Pretty (she's a catgirl, duh!); Nudist (not a shy catgirl, either); Kind (because who isn't cheered up when a pretty, nude catgirl talks to them?); Night Owl (self explanatory, to a catgirl); Cannibal (not a vegetarian)
Religion: undecided, currently sympathetic toward Atheist
Skills: Shooting 2; Melee 3; Construction 0; Mining 0; Cooking 4; Plants 2; Animals 4; Crafting 3; Artistic 2; Medical 3; Social 7; Intellectual 0
Passions: Major passion in Social, minors in Cooking, Artistic, and Animals

Spoiler: Possible modifications (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:11:10 am by mightymushroom »

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 03:58:44 am »

I'm pretty sure the user-created backstories Are All in the game so you can be an urbworld enforcer!

There is a sh*tload of backstories from all kinds of mods, so that's why I didn't link any lists. Feel free to write your own, then I'll find an in-game one that fits, or take inspiration from the ones on the rimworld wiki, that's perfectly fine as well!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 04:42:35 am »

Word of warning, I haven't actually played Rimworld so I might not have this quite right, like how many traits we can pick?

The game won't create pawns with more than three traits by default, but that is not a hard cap.

Anyway here is mine:

Name: Darius Blackhall
Race: Human male
Appearance: Dark hair, thin, Blue eyes if possible.
Backstory: Unknown.
Traits: Uncouth, Too smart, Greedy
Religion: Atheist
Skills: Shooting 4, Melee 2, Mining 6, Plants 8, Crafting 4, Medical 6.
Passions: Major passion for plants and medical, minor for shooting
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 05:01:13 am »

Right, 2-3 traits would be perfect.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 05:30:08 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 09:10:33 am »

Thanks for the feedback; after sleeping on it overnight I decided I'd rather roleplay the transhumanist angle and switched up her skills a bit.

Name: Mimiko Nya
Race: (Female) Cat Person
Appearance: Green eyes. Platinum blonde hair, mixed blonde/white fur on the rest of the body to the extent it's possible
Backstory: The Cat People have not been treated well (or at least not Mimiko's home world), alternately exploited for their exotic looks or forced into harsh containment programs for fear of a population explosion. ( :P ) After being 'recruited' as a teenager, Mimiko found a niche as a seductress-slash-undercover agent for a powerful urbworld family, but constant discrimination against her race left her longing to be more . . . more free, and maybe just more.
Traits: Pretty (she's a catgirl, duh!); Nudist (not a shy catgirl, either); Transhumanist (what's better than a catgirl? let's find out)
Religion: undecided, currently sympathetic toward Atheist
Skills: Shooting 2; Melee 5; Construction 0; Mining 0; Cooking 3; Plants 3; Animals 4; Crafting 3; Artistic 0; Medical 3; Social 7; Intellectual 0
Passions: Major passion in Social, minors in Cooking, Melee, and Animals

Not sure how well going into melee will work if she doesn't want to wear protection, but like I said personalities don't always add up. I like Urbworld enforcer, pick whatever childhood you think might work. Something related to Animal care?

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 04:01:12 pm »

OK, here's a preview of your characters!

First we have kingawsum. Turns out HardcoreSK is not using the trait modpack I thought it was so the traits you picked didn't exist :/ I picked some others I thought fitting and voila, here is the legendary marksman Kingawsum McCall deadliest sharpshooter in the galaxy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the way, when skills don't match your wishes it's because your backstories provide bonuses, so for instance Kingawsum's backstory makes him much better at shooting.

Next one up is Mimiko Nya.She grew up on a medieval farm where she took care of the animals.

Lastly we have Darius Blackhall. Since Khan didn't provide any backstory and you've got to have one, i just randomized one for him. Darius used to live as an urchin on a polluted urbworld and when he grew up he worked at the factories, earning little money.

Overall, it seems we have a pretty balanced team. Apart from cooking and research. Perhaps an extra participant or two could remedy that.

If you have any corrections, just say the word! Otherwise I will probably start playing Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:04:58 pm by Emilovich »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 11:17:02 pm »

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 12:15:14 pm »

OK, this is Jebidiah:

He doesn’t have a beard since elves can’t have one. There are only a few pre-defined religions you can choose, so I assigned Jebbo one I found appropriate. Perhaps he will be able to make us some robots at some point, to the honor of the almighty TechnoGod! I don’t think there is any lore behind the religions, so you’ll have to invent that yourselves.

… And now I’m ready to play!

Chapter I: A brave new world

The ship starts to shake violently as it enters the atmosphere of Al Bellatrix. It becomes clear to the passengers assembled in the cockpit that they are going to crash near one of the planet’s poles, on a barren tundra between two lakes:

Shortly after, the ship tears apart and everyone passes out due to the G-forces as the vessel spins towards the planet’s surface.

The next thing any of them remember is the four of them waking up on a barren plain. The ship seems to have crashed a few hundred meters away. The ground is sparsely covered with moss, mushrooms and a few small trees. Jebidiah, Darius, Mimiko and Kingawsum seem to be the only survivors along with Darius’s old Labrador Retriever that he brought with him on the shuttle. The sun is shining and there is no sound to be heard apart from a chilly breeze (the temperature is 21C). Then Darius breaks the silence by asking Jebidiah whether he could teach him how to play chess.

The survivors gather the supplies they can find laying around. Kingawsum bursts into a hearty laugh as he finds a Lee-Enfield rifle along with some ammo. His talent with a gun probably won't be missed on this hostile world! Darius finds a pickaxe and a hatchet, as well as 24 first aid kits. Mimiko picks up a Colt handgun and a knife. Jebidiah collects a hammer and 30 kg of food rations. Also, they find two survival tents.

However, the survivors might not need the tents, for slightly north of them across the plain, they spot what seems to be an old building. Hoping to see a friendly face, the survivors rush up to the building, but alas it is abandoned. The concrete walls are cracked and worn down into irregular forms by the raging of the elements. No-one has been here for quite a while, but those who lived were civilized people with electricity and plumbing. The compound consists of two main buildings with very thick (and irregular) walls. The northern building consists of the "oil room" where oil comes out of the ground and soaks the ground in black stickiness. Next to that we have some toilets and showers, and then a caved-in room that seems to have been dug into a hill. It contains two peg legs and a battery, but with no source of power, all the electric devices are defunct.

The southern building contains a weird mazelike area, a kitchen covered in rotten mush next to a corridor with nice marble and ceramic slabs also covered in rotten mush and feces, and then there is a big storage room with several work stations and lots of resources lying around. To the east of the two main buildings is a small third building, to the south of them some statues, and in between them a hallway with workshops and a bed.

Although the records found in the ruin indicate that the temperature drops to -80 degrees Celsius during winter, the survivors decide to put up their tents and stay here for now. If they can sew some better clothes and get some electricity up and running, they should be able to survive here. If they can find enough food that is.

That's it for now, I didn't have much time to play unfortunately. We were really lucky to land right next to a very extensive ruin from the Real Ruins mod, which is actually an abandoned colony of some other player using the same mod. Pretty cool huh? Wonder what brought him down!

Our planet, Al Bellatrix, has a very high axial tilt, meaning that the difference between summer and winter is rather significant. While the average temperature during summer is around 30C, it plummets to a freezing -80C during winter, which means all animals will migrate and we might not be able to go outside. so we will probably have to leave soon.

Therefore, naming our settlement might not be too important, but we definitely need to name our faction. And Darius's labrador. I'm open to proposals!

Also, you may start roleplaying, campaigning for leadership, initiating projects and forming cults!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:59:51 am by Emilovich »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 03:50:43 am »

He doesn’t have a beard since elves can’t have one.
    Hmph.  So it's gonna be like that huh?

Then Darius breaks the silence by asking Jebidiah whether he could teach him how to play chess.
     I like a guy who has his priorities already sorted …
Our planet, Al Bellatrix, has a very high axial tilt, meaning that the difference between summer and winter is rather significant. While the average temperature during summer is around 30C, it plummets to a freezing -80C during winter, which means all animals will migrate and we might not be able to go outside. so we will probably have to leave soon.
     Is there anywhere on the planet that has a more hospitable clime?

Therefore, naming our settlement might not be too important, but we definitely need to name our faction. And Darius's labrador. I'm open to proposals!

Also, you may start roleplaying, campaigning for leadership, initiating projects and forming cults!

I believe the Labrador should be named Einstein, he is clearly the most intelligent of all of us, having brought his own fur coat...….
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 05:52:25 am »

Is there anywhere on the planet that has a more hospitable clime?

Indeed! If it wasn't for all the resources in the ruin, we'd be heading north right away! However, the entire planet has crazy temperature fluctuations, so it's a choice between insanely hot summers or insanely cold winters. I'm a bit torn between renovating the ruin and using the resources there to outlast the (9 months long) winter or head north straight away, which could also potentially be dangerous...

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 09:39:08 am »

Mimiko had to keep shaking herself out of a daze after the crash. It was hard to believe, hard to pay attention to her surroundings. If someone had asked, not that anybody did, she would have bet she could survive on a strange, uncivilized planet better than the three men surrounding her. None of them looked to have grown up on a medieval planet, without the benefits of urban technology.

Except . . . that wasn't quite true. She may have more experience in "roughing it" but she had been a child, an animal tender, before being removed from home. She certainly had never built even a hovel, much less a stone castle. Knowing of them was not the same as knowing how they went together; she had always avoided the harder labors. The ruined base, then, was a sort of godsend . . . and its terrible condition also ominous, a godsend from a reproving god angry at the lapse of her childhood faith perhaps.

As the others set about cleaning up and organizing the wreckage, she fell into old habits and wandered off to avoid as much hauling as she could get away with explore the surrounding area, telling herself that she was surveying for useful plants and animals, or possibly a source of clean water if the ancient plumbing could not be repaired quickly.
-----
OOC: There's not much personal space at those ruins and only one bed. What about that other rectangular shape on the map? From the lack of detail I'm guessing there's not as much to see, but could it be fixed up for a larger shelter, or animal pen?
-----
     I believe the Labrador should be named Einstein, he is clearly the most intelligent of all of us, having brought his own fur coat...….
Cat woman likes pretty dog Einstein. To you she says "nyeh."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:44:58 am by mightymushroom »

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:34:17 am »

Mimiko had to keep shaking herself out of a daze after the crash. It was hard to believe, hard to pay attention to her surroundings. If someone had asked, not that anybody did, she would have bet she could survive on a strange, uncivilized planet better than the three men surrounding her. None of them looked to have grown up on a medieval planet, without the benefits of urban technology.

Except . . . that wasn't quite true. She may have more experience in "roughing it" but she had been a child, an animal tender, before being removed from home. She certainly had never built even a hovel, much less a stone castle. Knowing of them was not the same as knowing how they went together; she had always avoided the harder labors. The ruined base, then, was a sort of godsend . . . and its terrible condition also ominous, a godsend from a reproving god angry at the lapse of her childhood faith perhaps.

As the others set about cleaning up and organizing the wreckage, she fell into old habits and wandered off to avoid as much hauling as she could get away with explore the surrounding area, telling herself that she was surveying for useful plants and animals, or possibly a source of clean water if the ancient plumbing could not be repaired quickly.
-----
OOC: There's not much personal space at those ruins and only one bed. What about that other rectangular shape on the map? From the lack of detail I'm guessing there's not as much to see, but could it be fixed up for a larger shelter, or animal pen?
-----
Cat woman likes pretty dog Einstein. To you she says "nyeh."

The square ruins are always filled with ancient robots, which are usually a lot of !!!FUN!!!, so let's not break a hole in that yet!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4