Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bay12 plays Rimworld - Join a community fort in outer space!  (Read 14076 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 plays Rimworld - Join a community fort in outer space!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 08:58:19 pm »

Well, I seem to be too busy to even think about my goal - building robots - hell, we need to secure a source of electricity … oh, and food, of course.  I wonder, now we have a sustainable source of heat, if perhaps hydroponics might be possible, still needs electricity, hmmmmm, indoor gardening of some sort, maybe.  I will think on the possibility of making some traps to capture or wound the local ... somewhat rambunctious .. wildlife to augment our supplies.
    *sigh*  Need to stop being pestered by fools who think they can just move in and benefit from our hard-work in making this ruin habitable.  We need to only accept the non-fools, but, yes, I admit it can be hard to determine the exact level their idiocy.

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 10:49:44 pm »

As long as we're warm and fed, these next few months or so should pass right on by; so long as we have enough munitions to keep out whatever's not supposed to be in, that is. Note to self: build more chairs. Egghead'll need one for his special workbench, and I'm just as eager to get away from this place as the others. Maybe turn some of these stones into bricks? Probably easier than trying to find wood before this place makes Cocytus look like a glitterworld skating rink.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 09:28:40 am »

Mimiko falls into a routine of butchering and cooking. Looks like none of the men will do it. Typical, she thinks; although she has to admit they aren't entirely idle either. The food situation worries her, and her forays into cannibalism (and pseudo-cannibalism) don't provide long term answers. Perhaps she's not so tough-minded after all. There simply aren't enough plants in a reasonable walking distance, and fewer still with the heavy frost blanketing the ground. She's never lived in a place where it gets so cold so early in the fall, and she suspects the few animals wandering nearby won't remain much longer. She starts making a mental list of who will get priority if it comes to rationing, with Mimiko firmly at the top in mental magic marker of course. Maybe even circled and doodled in mental glitter pen, since she's so important.

Mimiko is comforted to see that she looks quite stylish in every kind of hat. A girl's got to have some way to dress up. Perhaps when the heating system is fully functional she can start dressing down, too, hehe. Except . . . she goes in and out of the cold, cold storage all the time. Ugh! Those men, it's all their fault. Somehow.
-----
OOC: I think this is actually a good situation for Mimiko, she doesn't want any of the other jobs. She's just frustrated this update.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:54:57 am by mightymushroom »

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 11:05:04 am »

Also, fun fact, I hate the cold IRL. Feel free to add a "Hates the cold" type of trait to my pawn if possible.

EDIT: OP abandoned his thread again. Back to making <insert massacre here> look like a tea party in comparison in a roll to dodge or something.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:43:21 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 04:39:19 am »

If this is still going, rim me!   

...Wait, no, I mean, pwn me. That's what we're calling it, right?
Chuck me on the list, waiting for the first male pawn with at least one of the following traits: Very Neurotic, Chemical Interest, Fast Walker, and Creepy Breathing. Listed in order of preference. Name 'em Uke, short for Ukulele.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 09:17:14 am »

at this point I will take a cat
a perfectly normal cat that will totally not take everything over
Name it Lunar please 
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 11:58:16 am »

This is not dead, finished playing through winter yesterday (We made it ... barely) and now I have to write the update. Sorry for not replying to any of the above posts and thank you for the patience!

@0cra_tr0per - I'm playing with the HardcoreSK modpack. Thanks for the suggestion, we might add that mod if this gets boring!

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 12:58:54 pm »

@0cra_tr0per - I'm playing with the HardcoreSK modpack. Thanks for the suggestion, we might add that mod if this gets boring!

I knew the modpack's name.

Got a link to the modpack? I want to try this myself.

I asked for the LINK. The name and link are two very different things.
it's over

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2019, 01:12:10 pm »

finished playing through winter yesterday (We made it ... barely)

Yippee!*

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2019, 02:12:30 pm »

finished playing through winter yesterday (We made it ... barely)
*snip* I reserve the right to change my mind if my character was eaten
Get pwned, weakling. Rimworld is a !!FUN!! game, just like its older, harder, complicated, and lower graphics cousin.
it's over

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2019, 02:33:18 pm »

Sorry, here's a link.

I'm playing the github version... I think.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2019, 02:58:12 pm »

Sorry, here's a link.

I'm playing the github version... I think.
I'd prefer a steam link. nevermind it would be hell to get everything to work together if all the mods were installed via steam because of necessary changes needing to be made so shit doesn't break
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:03:51 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »

OOC: I like the log book style most DF community games are written in, so this time I’m going to try and write from the point of view of Einstein, our supposedly super-intelligent Labrador retriever. Enjoy ;D

Chapter IV: Hunters and Prey

5th of Aprimay, clear weather, -11C
I have decided to write this diary in the likely case that I will end my days here in the southern wastes of Bellatrix. My hope is that someone someday will find this diary so that my memory will not vane even though I have passed.
My name is Einstein and I’m an genetically engineered, intelligent dog. I’m stranded on a the planet of Al Bellatrix on the outer rims of the galaxy with my master Darius and three other survivors, Mimiko, Jebidiah and Kingawsume.
According to my calculations based on the changing position of the sun, this planet should have 60 days in one orbital period, so I’ve decided to partition the year into four quadrums which I’ve named… Decembary, Aprimay, Jugust and Septober, where Decembary is the hottest, at least here on the south pole. And Jugust is the coldest. It will be very cold and very dark, due to the radical axial tilt of this godforsaken planet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The humans have noticed that it’s quickly getting colder and Kingawsume, Mimiko and my master have decided to go on a hunting trip to fill up our food stocks while Jebidiah works on his power generator. Personally, I think it’s getting a bit chilly, but the cat-woman seems to think it’s perfect, so she has taken off her clothes and is now only wearing boots and hat. I don’t like it, since it makes her look more like a cat, and I really don’t like cats.

6th of Aprimay, fog, -17C
Jebidiah finished his generator. It doesn’t work with coal, which is the only thing we have in great amounts. Back to the drawing board!

7th of Aprimay, blizzard, -22C
We have been struck by a blizzard! I hope my master is okay, the hunters have not returned yet. I’ve spent most of the day barking at the door, I tell you, something strange is moving around outside. We’d better stay indoors. Jebidiah is building a room for Mimiko so she doesn’t have to sleep in a tent indoors anymore. I hope my master returns soon, it’s getting colder even quicker than I expected.

8th of Aprimay, clear weather, -30C
Jebidiah went outside to isolate the walls for Mimiko’s room, and was met by my master fleeing for his life, followed by four giant insects. The beasts broke through the doors and we’re now hiding in the kitchen/storage area:

Note the mammoth that also snuck inside, having been attracted by the smell of two blueberries Darius found on the way back from the hunting trip. Talk about desperation. 

My master tells us that the hunting trip has not been as successful as we’d hoped, but they are still bringing back a good amount of meat. They set up camp to the east, near an old ruin they used as temporary storehouse. It didn’t have as many resources as we did, but they played pool at the old pool table:

My master went ahead of the others and we can expect their arrival very soon, he says.

In the evening, Kingawsume and Mimiko return and make short work of the bugs:

9th of Aprimay, clear weather, -39C
It’s getting insanely cold outside. Together with the bugs, the arrival of three mammoths will make wonders for our meagre food supply. They are so starved that they are eating rotten stuff from our refuse pile. The humans have found four mushrooms in the cavern that they will try to lure them inside with so we can tame them. Speaking of, where are those mushrooms?

Goddammit! Tired of caribou steak, are we? Oh well, I guess we will just have to slaughter them. Got nothing to feed them with anyway. Kingawsume sets about bringing them down before they migrate to warmer lands. They go berserk when you shoot them, but Kingawsume can easily outmaneuver them, everything will be fin---NO MIMIKO DON’T GO OUT TO THE RAMPAGING MAMMOTH OH NO SHE’S IN THE WAY KINGAWSUME CAN’T GET A CLEAR SHOT IT’S GOING TO CATCH UP WITH HER SHE’S GOING TO DIE

Wow, that was close. Mimiko seems fatigued by the hunting expedition and isn’t really doing much work. But at least she survived.

10th of Aprimay, clear weather, -39C
Even with the mammoths and bugs, the humans are not sure if we have enough food to make it through winter. Jebidiah is now making fur cloaks and gloves for everyone so we can send another hunting expedition out while surviving outside is still viable.

11th of Aprimay, clear weather, -45C
The fur cloaks for Mimiko and Kingawsume are ready, so they set out on another hunting trip. However, in the evening they come running back, explaining that they made contact with a group of people to the northeast. The group called themselves the Epic Vultures, were heavily armed and demanded our surrender. The humans spend the rest of the day preparing to evacuate.

12th of Aprimay, fog, -55C
12:00
A freezing fog makes it difficult to see, but four of the Vultures have arrived to the south of our base and are setting up mortars to bombard us. They are armed with modern weaponry and we wouldn’t stand a chance if we were to attack their position. Yet the humans hesitate with the evacuation. Perhaps the temperature will take care of our besiegers?

15:00
The bombardment has begun, however mortars are horribly unprecise. This is even worse than fireworks! And as a dog I really hate fireworks.

17:00
Kingawsume is hit by burning debris as a firefoam grenade hits the roof above the southern entrance. He is badly burnt, but didn’t lose any fingers this time.

20:00
Even more vultures arrive and set up their position to the southwest. The humans decide that the odds are against us and we evacuate, leaving with tents and provisions for a warmer place to stay. However, we’ve barely left our warm home in favor of the freezing wastes when another group of bandits beset us from the north:

These are not as well-armed as the others, but they are many and some of them have guns.

21:00
We made it away from the base. Hiding in the hills to the west, we watch as the bandits approach our base. There’s no easy way inside, so they tear down the wind pump and move south following the sound of the mortars.

22:00
Oh what luck! Our enemies are fighting each other! The bandits charge the southeastern Vulture position. The Vultures are overwhelmed and forced into a corner where they are fiercely beaten down.

13th of Aprimay, clear weather, -70C

00:00
They then move west to attack the other Vulture position. They’ve taken heavy losses though and give up their attack. The survivors flee north.

Our enemies have been decimated, whilst we’ve been hiding. It’s indescribably cold, we’re all shivering heavily (except Mimiko, who is however wearing clothes) and I can’t feel my tail at all. We decide that our chances have improved and we run back to the base.

02:00
Bombs are still hailing down on Bay 12, as we have come to call our home. It’s only slightly warmer indoors due to grenade holes in the roof and the broken-down wind pump which is needed to circulate warm water throughout the compound.

Mimiko and Kingawsume go down to the unoccupied Vulture position to man the single intact mortar still standing there. The ramparts dug by the Vultures are littered with dead and dying, but Kingawsume mans the mortar and begins shooting back at the besiegers. An intense mortar firefight ensues.

04:00
In the end, however, it is the cold that takes out our enemies. Two collapses from hypothermia, the rest run away. Amazingly, we survived with only a few burns and frost-bitten tail (I hope it fall off). 

After a very tough day and night, we all go to bed and when get back up, the humans start repairing the wind pump and bringing in weapons and loot. If we face another of these attacks, we will be able to protect ourselves much better, with automatic rifles and mortars.

14th of Aprimay, clear weather, -65C
The weather is a bit warmer and the humans are hoping for spring. Oh my sweet summer children.

In the evening, a shower of meteors strike the strange bunker to the south of us. Strange ant-like bugs come crawling out. Along with the food rations looted from the Vultures, this should mean that we will make it through winter!

15th of Aprimay, clear weather, -69C
Come morning, the insects have succumbed to the cold. The hives inside are still warm and humming with activity though. This is a very welcome source of food. The humans also find a few useful things lying around the bunker, such as another full-automatic rifle, medicine, psychic insanity lance and a multitool for Jebidiah.

Encountered a group of hostiles with modern weaponry – “The Epic Vultures” – made it back to the base before them – they decide to besiege us, hopefully they will die of hypothermia – they hammer us with mortars and kingawsume got hit by burning debris! He’s okay though, without any missing body parts this time.

1st of Jugust, clear weather, -77C
Winter is officially here.

It’s now so cold that even boiling water freezes immediately outside. When we were least expecting it, someone came knocking at our door. Her name is Lunar Clark, and she is apparently from the same ship as we are. When she crashed, she was taken prisoner by bandits, but she made it away. Shaking from hypothermia, she made it to our home. My master and Kingawsume immediately took a liking of her and decided that she should stay.

She is an evangelist, but she doesn’t have a religion. Wonder what made her leave her homeworld? Anyway, she seems to be rather useless. She is sluggish and a night owl, which means she prefers to be up at night. Good thing there isn’t going to be any sun the next weeks. But my master likes her and I think he stands a better chance than Kingawsume.

OOC: So I thought we’d made it through winter, but apparently it’s really just started. Oopsie. Haven’t really been able to do any projects, but now that we have enough food (I think) and we’re holed up inside (except for Mimiko, who can go where she pleases), there will be time for some projects. Actually, the only crafting I got done was that chair Kingawsume wanted to do for Jebidiah. It’s an ordinary ceramic stool. The schematics for the coal fueled power generator are ready, we just need some concrete, which I will have to find somehow. Perhaps we can make some, we’ve got lots of sand.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:35 pm »

Quote from: battle log
Mimiko kicked dirt in the Mammoth's eyes.
Aw yiss! You might be king of the boreal forest but you wouldn't last a day on the streets, you dumb hairy elephant!

-----
Her name is Lunar Clark, and she is apparently from the same ship as we are. When she crashed, she was taken prisoner by bandits, but she made it away. Shaking from hypothermia, she made it to our home. My master and Kingawsume immediately took a liking of her and decided that she should stay.
Her name is Lunar Clark
My master and Kingawsume immediately took a liking of her

Mimiko retreated to the kitchen to chop and think. There was, literally, a new girl in town. *Chop.* Now, Mimiko wasn't put out by that, specifically. But she recognized that the planet had changed her. She wasn't reacting the same way to trauma or danger. *Chop.* And this Lunar person comes in, half frozen, a damsel in distress and of course the males get all mushy. *Chop chop.* She was a threat to Mimiko's status, to Mimiko's place in their affections. It wouldn't do. *Chop chop.* Well, Mimiko still had all her social and acting skills. She was willing to give the new girl a run for her money. *Chop chop chop.*

Lunar would need a new bed, and a new bedroom. But there was a shortage of rooms. Someone would have to share, and Mimiko could be that someone. The cat woman was no stranger to double beds. Hmm . . . Darius had the nicest room. And that pretty dog, too. Mimiko liked Einstein. *Sly grin.*

And then the thought occurred, maybe the men would somehow think it was more appropriate for the two women to room together. That could almost be better, although befriending Lunar might take longer since they hadn't shared these last weeks of survival. But Mimiko had her own prisoner story in her past. The bonding would come. And if the two women colluded, the males wouldn't stand a chance. Still, Mimiko wanted that nice bedroom. Whatever – whoever – it took to get there.

*Chop.*

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2019, 09:53:01 pm »

As if winter were not bad enough, along come raiders … Everyone on this planet has regressed back to the dark ages, which feels more than true considering what I have to work with.  I really need a 45 watt plasma-stabilised harmonic ballast to get this generator going, but, of course, no-one can find one, and to make one will mean I have to reinvent the wheel.
    And our neighbours, those Luddites, took our primitve windmill to be an idol of an ancient god, brain-damaged idiots that they are, breaking it down and proclaiming their god to be stronger than ours.  Feh.  As I said, idiots.
     Two notable events lately: 1 - another passenger from our ship turned up on our doorstep, half-frozen and stammering about being a captive in a bandit camp. And 2 - Mimiko seems to have fluffed up her fur a bit more than normal, making herself look bigger and more curvy … coincidence?  could be … meh, gotta get back to work on this generator, I know our survival rests on it …
     The only two sane people on this planet, Einstein and myself, will be the only ones to keep this place together … I swear, when that dog swaggers into the room, he actually looks over my work as if he understands it, then nods and leaves to attend to his self-appointed tasks … I do not ask.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4