Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RWBY Mod  (Read 1215 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
RWBY Mod
« on: September 20, 2019, 03:44:25 pm »

So as a long time standing fan of RWBY ever since I saw the first trailer, I really badly want to make a RWBY mod for DF.

Currently the idea is that there are 3 "Base" civilized Races, Human, Faunas and Grimmborn (If you know of Court Al'Aran or Malboudes works, you know what this is. Ill explain in their section), which are then split up into Sub-Civs.

Alongside this I'd be replacing various Creatures, Enemies, Bogeymen, Werecreatures, Titans, Semimegabeasts, Megabeasts and possibly Forgotten Beasts with Grimm variants.

The Human Civs would be:

-Atlesian: More resistant to Cold temperatures, Able to make different grades of Atlesian Steel (Lightweight and cheap, but not sharp or durable in any regard), Learn Mental skills (leadership, bartering, etc) faster, smarter, alongside other benefits I can think of.

Vacuoian: More resistant to Hot temperatures, able to make different grades of Vacuoian Steel (Lightweight and Durable, not cheap or easy to make), able to turn different Desert based plants and animals into Food and Drink, more durable, learn Physical skills faster (Mining, Woodcutting, etc) etc.

Mistralian: neutral to Cold or Hot weather, can make different grades of Mistralian Steel (Sharper and more durable, not cheap or easy to make), learns Combat skills faster (Armor wearing, swordsmanship, etc), physically stronger, etc.

Valean: Neutral to Cold or hot weather, can make different grades of Valean Steel (Sharp and Lightweight, but not durable or easy to make), learns all skills faster (but not to the extent of the others), natural leaders, etc.

Wastelander: People that survive living in the expansive Grimm Wastes. Learn all Survival skills faster (Foraging, Farming, Butchery, Swordsmanship, etc), can turn certain wasteland specific plants and animals into Food and drink, physically stronger and more durable, etc.

Bandit: Survives by raiding weaker targets around them. Learns Combat skills faster, baby snatchers, etc.

The Faunas civs will be Tribes seperated via Genus, but are all friendly with eachother. All Faunus have Nightvision.

Feline Tribe: Tigers, Cats, Lions, Pumas, etc. Has a chance of having feline Ears, a Tail, or Claws, agile, natural hunters, etc.

Canine Tribe: Wolves or Dogs (can't think of more that are canines, feel free to suggest). Has a chance of having canine Ears, a Tail or Claws, fast and durable, loyal, learns quickly, etc.

Amphibian Tribe: Frog, Poisonous Frog, Salamander, Axolotl, Toad, Poisonous Toad, Newt, etc. Has a chance of having Slimey Skin, webbed hands/feet or long tongue. Can possess a natural Poison/Toxin, fast and agile, whimsical, etc.

Arachnid Tribe: Spider or Scorpion (of various types). Has a chance of having Poison Fangs (if spider), Stinger (if scorpion) or Multiple Eyes. Can possess natural web spinner, flexible and quick, natural hunters.

Avian Tribe: Eagle, Hawk, Dove, Crow, Seagull, etc. Has a chance of having Wings (allowing Flight), Feathers in hair, or clawed feet. Quick and smart, natural scouts.

Reptillian Tribe:

Bovine Tribe:

Ursine Tribe:

Piscine (Fish/Aquatic) Tribe:

Vulpine Tribe:

Serpentine Tribe:

Murine (Rodent) Tribe:

Equine Tribe:

The Grimmborn Civs are split into 3 different types of Grimmborn.

Awakened: Human/Faunus + Grimm hybrids, taking on the traits of their Human/Faunas side but with pale skin, red eyes, horns and a grimmified feature (a large, powerful arm, tentacles, boned legs that are faster, etc).

Abomination: Human/Faunus + Grimm hybrids, but didn't adapt correctly, causing them to mutate into a Human/Faunus-grimm abomination, but still retains their sentience.

Perfected: Human/Faunus + Grimm hybrids that look like any other Human/Faunus, but can turn into their Hybrid form at will. Stronger then both Awakened and Abominations, and have a chance of having aura/can have their aura unlocked.

I'll edit in relevant information once I get home but I do have a few questions to get this going.

For Aura, is it possible to give civs a natural armor that, once depleted, can regenerate/be restored via Auric Booster?

Also is it possible to have Civs to have a chance to have Semblance as a Natural ability, with the semblances detailed in another file? (So that I don't have to make 100s of castes with different semblances)

Is it possible to have Aura be a chance to be possessed? Or have it be "awakened" via a custom building/workshop?

Is it possible to have Transform on Weapons, to simulate Mechashifting? Or have Melee weapons also have Ranged capability? (If not then this will be placed in Great War era, before Mechashifting was a thing, but guns were around)

I have a few more questions but these are the more important ones I need answered right now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:57:47 am by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: RWBY Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:03:01 pm »

You can give civs an auric booster foodstuff they can consume to gain a material_force reduction for a time to act like a "shielding" effect, or give them an armor made of aura to wear that covers most of the body, and an auric booster is a reagent in a reaction to produce a new one for free when it breaks, which assumes aura material isn't impenetrable and can be broken. But no, an auric shield the way youre describing isn't possible. An "awakened aura" could be a separate, better material you can make at a workshop, yes.

Weapons cannot mechashift, unless you use a pair of reactions to convert one weapon type into another. They can have both melee and ranged attacks, but keep in mind the ranged weapon ai is made of pure idiocy and they will run right up to enemies in melee range and try to shoot them.

I have no idea what you're talking about with semblances. Like, describe the actual process you want to simulate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:56:25 pm »

On the Weapons thing, can always just make it so this is based in the Great War period then, there were virtually no Mechashift weapons back then, as it was a newly discovered thing that just popped up (Also helps with the Faunus tribes being so seperated, since this is before all Faunus were sent to Menagerie.)

In relation to the Semblances thing. So basically I want to have Semblances basically be additional actions/abilities for the ones that have them, if possible. Like for example a Speed Semblance letting that user move faster for a short amount of time or attack faster for a short amount of time. Thing is, when you create too many Castes, DF gets a bit fucky. So I was wondering if it was possible to have all of the possible semblance types detailed in another file, and in the Creature file for the various civs, make it so that it'll randomly take a Semblance from that Semblances file, and apply it to that creature.

The other way to do this would be, I would think, to just create tons of Caste's with each type of semblance, and maybe a Descriptor to change how they look (as semblances in this would be categorized instead of specific. Like Speed, Strength, Durability, Illusion (if possible), Flight (if possible), Teleportation (if possible), etc etc. But creating tons of Castes is something I want to avoid.

Would it be possible to make the "Aura" Armor be worn over regular armor? At least so it can simulate "Aura" over armor?
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 11:55:57 pm »

Not sure about armor over armor. Try setting it to be an "over" layer.

Semblances, you might be able to use an original "discover yourself" cdi interaction everyone has that gives a target a random chance to permanently gain one of many semblance interactions, which makes it an invalid target for the original interaction or for acquiring any of the other actual semblance interaction.
It's complicated but the next least complicated way I've come up with to deliver a random syndrome/interaction to everyone without creating new castes is to use a clothing material that melts and then delivers the interaction on contact. It's how I've decided I'll do natural racial powers for my Spellcrafts mod, if I ever get around to it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:57:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 12:22:01 am »

Oh those are some really good ideas semblance wise.

Okay so the next few questions are Dust related.

Is it possible to have weapons Infused with dust, without harming the wielder and somehow needing Ammo in the form of more dust?

Is it possible to make Dust volatile (aka a chance of going off when mined?)

Would it be possible to have Ranged weapons be infused with Dust that, again, don't hurt the wielder, and fire said "elemental" type ammo? (Like Fire Dust Arrows, Ice Dust Bullets, etc)

Would making a Dustcaster be viable? (A weapon thats only use is to activate the Dust on it, but can have a variety of effects and uses depending on the Dust)

(Also added some more info to the OP, couldn't fill out all of them though, as I was busy all day and need to go to bed if I don't want to be tired at work.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:58:49 am by Unknown72 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 05:26:34 pm »

Dust, as the mineral you could make it "explode" if it has a second version with all the same names and outward appearance but dissolves into a high temperature gas when mined. You can do that by making the fake material only occur in single blocks exclusively inside veins of the real material. The fake material gets a high boiling point of like 12000, but an even higher constant temperature of 13000. It will immediately boil and probably kill the miner when their clothes catch fire/their fat all melts at the same time.
"Infused with dust" would have to be it's own material (and/or a different "dust infused" x version of the weapon so the new weapon can have different properties that the material can't provide like a new attack)
Ranged weapons could use dust as ammo if the ammo is made of dust. You could even use a new type of ammo with the same ammo class usually used for that weapon, but can only be made via reaction, from dust.

Not sure what you can do by "activating" a weapon with dust. Maybe use the weapon and dust in a reaction to produce another "activated" version of the weapon, again that breaks down with use (is brittle) without destroying the original. Thus having to replace "activated" weapons occasionally. Otherwise it would just be like the infused weapons.

I gotta admit, I've never watched this show, and now I'm more confused than ever.
I make Spellcrafts!

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 01:50:00 am »

To help explain, Dust is a gem like mineral that causes various elemental effects. When mined it's very volatile, which can cause it to explode into it's element if your not careful mining/handling it. It can also be grinded into a powder to make it less volatile and more controlled, but as a result also makes it less powerful.

In RWBY Dust crystals are typically put into weapons that pack a big punch while dust vials (aka powdered dust) are either used to make bullets with different effects or to give your weapon a special elemental property. If it's powdered, it can also be infused into thread, allowing it to be weaved into clothing and allowing the wearer to use the dust weaved into the clothing to basically act like a "Mage".

The current known dust types are:

Wind/Air Dust - Green in color

Fire/Burn Dust - Red in color

Water Dust - Dark Blue in color

Lightning Dust - Yellow in color

Ice Dust - Created by mixing Water and Wind dust together - Light Blue in color

Steam Dust - Created by mixing Water and Fire Dust - Dark Grey in color

Gravity Dust - Black or Purple in color

Earth Dust - White in color

Volcanic Dust - Very Rare - Bright Orange in color

Hard-Light Dust - Rarest Dust there is - Cyan in color

These are all of the confirmed dust types in RWBY, used in the show/manga or talked about in their World of Remnant episodes.