Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploration Missions? Kobold Caves?  (Read 2407 times)

XenocideSoldier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploration Missions? Kobold Caves?
« on: September 20, 2019, 06:52:11 pm »

After years of not finding any GCS in the three cavern layers under my fortress, I read on the wiki that kobold caves can be raided for tame giant caves spiders. I found a cave that has both kobolds and GCS, but I can't raid it from the mission menu. I didn't have caves set as always visible in world generation, is that required to send out a raid to a cave? Can I change that option my messing with the world's files, if so?
Also related to world generation, I haven't been attacked by any megabeasts whatsoever, despite the world being 20 years old, my fortress easily blasting past the wealth limit. I do only have 30 dwarves in the fortress(Helps me keep track of them), but I've been told that you only have to exceed one of the three requirements for a megabeast attack. There are dozens of megabeasts in the world, but none of them want to steal my vast riches(so that I can capture them for the zoo). What gives?

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploration Missions? Kobold Caves?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:01:09 am »

I'm positive that regardless of the other parameters, you need a minimum population to be attacked by megabeasts.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to raiding for GCS.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:53:00 am »

You can always edit their attack triggers lower in the raws to be surer (Note how Minotaur article says all 3 triggers have to be met), but it may be that your world is just too young. It took years after reaching 80 pop in Moonhome to see a single one; 3 in about a dozen iirc.

XenocideSoldier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 12:16:56 pm »

Hmmmm, alright. Does anyone know where the attack triggers are? I know where they're at in the worldgen parameters, but it sounds like you're saying they can be modified post worldgen. If not, I suppose I'll have to get a population infusion to be atomized later
EDIT: Nevermind, I think I've got it. I appreciate the replies, folks. If anyone's got info on the GCS raids, I'd love it, but unless someone's got that I'll let this thread die

:D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:24:19 pm by XenocideSoldier »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 12:25:46 pm »

Worldgen parameters are for titans (which can be edited with dfhack). Megabeast parameters are in their raw text files.

Note that my assumption on attack trigger editing working for them post-wg is based on it working for goblins.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 12:29:54 pm »

Adding to Fleeting Frames' answer: The raws you want to modify are the ones in the save folder, not the ones the in the "normal" raw folder. Changes to that one takes effect on new games (and are the ones copied into their save folders).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 06:32:32 am »

I believe sites like caves, camps, and shrines will stay visible if an adventurer goes there. Retire fortress and run out there as an adventurer, maybe?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 07:10:59 am »

After years of not finding any GCS in the three cavern layers under my fortress, I read on the wiki that kobold caves can be raided for tame giant caves spiders. I found a cave that has both kobolds and GCS, but I can't raid it from the mission menu. I didn't have caves set as always visible in world generation, is that required to send out a raid to a cave? Can I change that option my messing with the world's files, if so?
Also related to world generation, I haven't been attacked by any megabeasts whatsoever, despite the world being 20 years old, my fortress easily blasting past the wealth limit. I do only have 30 dwarves in the fortress(Helps me keep track of them), but I've been told that you only have to exceed one of the three requirements for a megabeast attack. There are dozens of megabeasts in the world, but none of them want to steal my vast riches(so that I can capture them for the zoo). What gives?

I believe sites like caves, camps, and shrines will stay visible if an adventurer goes there. Retire fortress and run out there as an adventurer, maybe?

Vaults and shrines yes do need to be adventurer revealed, but kobold caves can be attacked and explored if you turn the hidden caves setting off in advanced world creation, or by changing the default world generation raws (for the generic create a world you're given).

Also Kobolds do not have a proper military (outside of what i think variable positions can do on those sites), so you could probably add a simple military with [POSITION:CAPTAIN] (which is a hardcoded role for siege fodder) so they have some people to call up for a actual counter attack.

XenocideSoldier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 12:35:58 pm »

Vaults and shrines yes do need to be adventurer revealed, but kobold caves can be attacked and explored if you turn the hidden caves setting off in advanced world creation, or by changing the default world generation raws (for the generic create a world you're given).

Also Kobolds do not have a proper military (outside of what i think variable positions can do on those sites), so you could probably add a simple military with [POSITION:CAPTAIN] (which is a hardcoded role for siege fodder) so they have some people to call up for a actual counter attack.

Hmmmm, so there's no way to change this after world generation? Looks like it's time to roll up an adventurer. Thanks for the replies, guys!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 02:24:30 pm »

Going back to the first post, you mentioned not finding any GCS in the caverns. Because they are not very aggressive with non-military dwarfs, they often can arrive on the map and not interact with your dwarfs. You can lure them by building a wood door with some cage traps around it (set up a few of these at different locations). So long as GCS are not extinct, you should capture some over time.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?