Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [47.04] Human Fortress v3.0  (Read 26946 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[47.04] Human Fortress v3.0
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:12:47 pm »

Download [47.04] Human Fortress v2.0

This mod adds playable vanilla-esc human civilizations. It allows the player to use everything available to dwarves while still feeling like a different experience by forcing the humans onto the surface and creating long crop harvest cycles and a viable lumber industry. Only minor changes were made to the vanilla files (see below).

Current Features:
> Adds playable vanilla-esc human civilizations with all current game features available.
> Adds the following nobility positions to humans available dependent on settlement size (village, town, city):
• Rulers: king, duke, count, baron, lord, [squad members: crown guards, royal guards]
• Administration: steward (manager), chamberlain (bookkeeper), chancellor (broker), physician (chief medical)
• Diplomacy: foreign ambassador (diplomat), royal emissary (outpost liaison)
• Law Enforcement: knight, executioner, guard captain, [squad members: village guards, town guards, city guards]
• Military: constable (general), field marshal (lieutenant), sergeant (militia commander), man-at-arms (militia captain), [squad members: man-at-arms]
> Adds 6 preferred religious spheres to the human civilization: creation, agriculture, sun, war, courage, family, marriage, laws and oaths.
> Adds 9 personality trait ranges to humans: pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, anger, stress vulnerability, gregariousness and ambition.
> Adds strange moods to humans.
> Changes the following skill learn rates and rust rates for humans:
• Skill learn rates doubled and rust rates halved for wood cutting, carpentry, wood crafting, growing, fishing, swords and bows.
• Skill learn rates slightly increased and rust rates slightly decreased for spears, armor and shields.
• Skill learn rates halved and rust rates doubled for mining, masonry, stone crafting and engraving.
> Adds a sawmill where 1 wood log can be cut into 5 wooden blocks.
> Adds a quarry (workshop) where 1 stone boulder can be cut into 5 stone blocks
> Adds a bulk wood furnace (workshop) where 1 wood log can be made into 5 charcoal
> Adds a bulk glass furnace (workshop) where 1 raw glass can be cut into 5 glass blocks
> Adds a bulk kiln (workshop) where 1 clay boulder can be made into 5 clay bricks
> Adds a reaction to create an iron anvil at a smelter using 5 iron bars.
> Adds a reaction to create wooden statues at the carpenter's workshop.
> Adds a reaction to make wooden slabs at the carpenter's workshop.
> Adds a reaction to make wooden mechanisms at the carpenter's workshop.
> Adds reactions to encrust weapons and armor with gems at the crafter's workshop
> Changes "rye beer" to "rye whiskey" and "maize beer" to "bourbon whiskey".
> Increases the growth time of all edible surface plants to one and a half seasons (requiring an unfrozen biome of at least late spring to early autumn for crop growth).
> Makes all edible underground plants cause food poisoning (nausea, vomiting, dizziness and reduced speed) if consumed by humans.
> Adds padded armor and padded hoods that can be made out of cloth at the clothier's workshop
> Adds a reaction to create quivers out of cloth at the clothier's workshop
> Adds quarterstaffs that can be made out of wood at the crafting workshop
> Changes the cotton plant biome to [NOT_FREEZING] to allow for more accessibility to cloth

Starter Guide:
> You start with a lord or lady, who can appoint a steward, chamberlain, chancellor, physician, guard captain and seargent, but these are not needed at the start as most have housing requirements. I recommend starting by assigning 2 wood cutters/carpenters, 3 farmers and 1 animal handler.
> Start with the following buildings/areas: farm plots, sawmill, animal pasture, meeting area, temple zone, stockpiles.
> Next build a village wall and a building for the lord/lady using wood blocks from the sawmill. Remember to plant crops early. If the biome freezes, you will need your harvest to last the winter or you will have to find another food source.

I encourage any feedback, concerns or recommendations.

This mod is completely compatible with [47.04] Dog Breeds and [47.04] Fishing Expanded. Install this mod last.

For compatibility with other mods, this is a complete list of the vanilla file changes:

Spoiler: Changelog v1.1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v1.2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v1.3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v2.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v3.0 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:28:41 am by brolol.404 »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Human Fortress v1.1
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 05:55:10 pm »

List of nobles is very specified. And spheres. In vanilla humans can have different civs. But this mod make humans boring and restricted.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:34:09 pm »

List of nobles is very specified. And spheres. In vanilla humans can have different civs. But this mod make humans boring and restricted.

spheres are preferred. chance of getting other spheres (even opposite spheres is very high). my current fort has a starting deity of disease and deformity and another deity of art and festivals. the personality traits are wide ranges and the nobles are loosely based off the time period and culture DF is set in. the humans are very diverse

edit: this mod also leaves in the vanilla human civs which are populated throughout the world
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:55:41 pm by brolol.404 »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 07:45:04 pm »

spheres are preferred. chance of getting other spheres (even opposite spheres is very high). my current fort has a starting deity of disease and deformity and another deity of art and festivals. the personality traits are wide ranges and the nobles are loosely based off the time period and culture DF is set in. the humans are very diverse

edit: this mod also leaves in the vanilla human civs which are populated throughout the world
DF not fully set in Europe. Humans is so diverse, they can be look like Japan or Arabs. But in your mod nobles all european.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:40:35 am »

I am ok with changing the noble position titles to make them more generic and diverse and allow for different cultural interpretations. What titles did you have in mind? Would you prefer them to match their dwarven counterparts (manager, bookkeeper, broker)?

Another option would be for me to make a few versions of the entity that have different position titles. However, you wouldn't be able to tell which culture you were going into at embark and the multiple entities might crowd out the other races during worldgen.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:51:27 am »

I always wanted to make a RL-culture based human mod; just traders/invaders, not playable. Japanese, Arabic, Zulu, Inca, etc. Maybe that gives you some ideas.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 11:46:10 am »

I always wanted to make a RL-culture based human mod; just traders/invaders, not playable. Japanese, Arabic, Zulu, Inca, etc. Maybe that gives you some ideas.

I think that would be pretty cool and setting up the entities would be pretty quick (could also make new class tags for my dog breeds mod to put dogs with their cultures). I actually really like this idea.

It would require a lot of new items though (clothing, weapons, armor). I also would probably have to make humans specific to their culture so they could be identified. Japanese Human, Arabic Human, etc. but I dont know if that would be odd in game?

Edit: I guess if they were just traders/invaders they wouldnt need to be identified and could just be "human". To be playable though they would probably need to be identified

Edit2: also would adding more human civs make the other races less populated?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:52:37 am by brolol.404 »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:01:00 pm »

I think that would be pretty cool and setting up the entities would be pretty quick (could also make new class tags for my dog breeds mod to put dogs with their cultures). I actually really like this idea.

It would require a lot of new items though (clothing, weapons, armor). I also would probably have to make humans specific to their culture so they could be identified. Japanese Human, Arabic Human, etc. but I dont know if that would be odd in game?

Edit: I guess if they were just traders/invaders they wouldnt need to be identified and could just be "human". To be playable though they would probably need to be identified

Edit2: also would adding more human civs make the other races less populated?
Make more entities of other races.

wingersky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 01:15:55 am »

Aww, a kindred spirit. I've been doing half of the OP-post operations for some 5+ years now, playing humies only.

My checklist is reactions/skills, trapcomps, strange moods&noble titles, basically getting the human CIV packed with dwarven exclusive stuff like minecarts, w/o underground plants or animals though. No fiddlin with anything else, mostly.
Started throwing in a tabard and a rapier past couple years. :3
Occasionally i'd fiddle around with role names, but it is mostly left out simple: generals & lieutenants, a diplomat is a diplomat and such.

Humies #1, spread the word

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 07:07:36 am »

Aww, a kindred spirit. I've been doing half of the OP-post operations for some 5+ years now, playing humies only.

My checklist is reactions/skills, trapcomps, strange moods&noble titles, basically getting the human CIV packed with dwarven exclusive stuff like minecarts, w/o underground plants or animals though. No fiddlin with anything else, mostly.
Started throwing in a tabard and a rapier past couple years. :3
Occasionally i'd fiddle around with role names, but it is mostly left out simple: generals & lieutenants, a diplomat is a diplomat and such.

Humies #1, spread the word

Humans are a lot of fun to play as. If you haven't tried it yet, try out the sawmill. I think it makes above ground megaprojects a lot more manageable.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions for this mod :)

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 10:07:29 am »

> Adds strange moods and trances to humans.

Are Strange Moods the only way to generate artifacts? Thematically, I feel like Humans should create artifacts in a different manner. Probably by having a noble demand the creation of an artifact, or some sort of collaborative venture between multiple humans. I don't know how possible it'd be to mod these things in, though. 
And why Trances? The Martial Trance feels like an intrinsic dwarven thing. Maybe humans could learn combat skills faster, so they'd be able to quickly train a large skilled military, to offset the fact that they'd not have the benefit of the Martial Trance.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 06:09:54 pm »

Personally, I really like working with clay and that seems in character for humans.  If you could figure out some fun ways to expand/make more viable pottery (there's some neat features in MW where that's concerned, I recall) I think that'd be another fun thing that humans could make use of since it just requires soil digging (which is still practical even with weaker miners)
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 06:34:37 pm »

Are Strange Moods the only way to generate artifacts? Thematically, I feel like Humans should create artifacts in a different manner. Probably by having a noble demand the creation of an artifact, or some sort of collaborative venture between multiple humans. I don't know how possible it'd be to mod these things in, though. 
And why Trances? The Martial Trance feels like an intrinsic dwarven thing. Maybe humans could learn combat skills faster, so they'd be able to quickly train a large skilled military, to offset the fact that they'd not have the benefit of the Martial Trance.

Those are good ideas and I definitely agree that human artifacts would be better created through noble demands. Without dfhack artifacts can only be made with moods that I know of though. I could potentially add dfhack scripts into this mod to change that though that would add another layer of complexity that might not be worth it for artifacts.

I like the idea of taking out trances for faster combat training. I'll change that.

Personally, I really like working with clay and that seems in character for humans.  If you could figure out some fun ways to expand/make more viable pottery (there's some neat features in MW where that's concerned, I recall) I think that'd be another fun thing that humans could make use of since it just requires soil digging (which is still practical even with weaker miners)

Cool idea. I can expand on this. Do you have ideas that you would like to see incorporated with this?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 09:15:53 pm »

If you want you can copy the clay setup I use in Masterwork. It's... comprehensive. The kobolds have a batch kiln too for mass production.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 02:06:43 am »

Along with the stuff from Masterwork, adding new glazes would be cool, there was an older mod that did that and having more options for colors and fancier decorations would be neat.  And since making enough coal and ash is likely to involve burning a lot of wood, ways to make use of charcoal and ash or make them efficiently might be good
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7