Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: [47.04] Human Fortress v3.0  (Read 27177 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Human Fortress v1.3
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2019, 11:59:55 am »

Placing stockpiles on top of saplings stops them from growing into trees.

Otherwise: Make tree-cutting elves. ;)

Well tree-cutting elves is out of the question  :P

but, maybe I will just leave it up to the player to stockpile over or build free 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc. "workshops" in areas that they want to preserve. Otherwise, expecting players to build in inhospitable environments (e.g. deserts, badlands, mountains, etc.) with the intention of turning those areas into new forests for the elves by "growing" tree (and other natural) workshops

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 12:38:15 pm »

but, maybe I will just leave it up to the player to stockpile over or build free 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc. "workshops" in areas that they want to preserve.

This idea sounds really neat, as dedicated glades give some nice elvish flavor.

On a side note, it just might feel like the forest is steadily trying to consume the elves, with them only loosing more and more ground fit for building as the time goes by and not being able to do anything about it other than postpone it. Ironic :D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:40:10 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 03:23:20 pm »

This idea sounds really neat, as dedicated glades give some nice elvish flavor.

I'll go this route and give the elves some Sacred Groves and and Sacred Glades that look like natural landscapes/plants to preserve areas.

On a side note, it just might feel like the forest is steadily trying to consume the elves, with them only loosing more and more ground fit for building as the time goes by and not being able to do anything about it other than postpone it. Ironic :D

poetic really :P

Let me know if you have any ideas for this mod. :)

So, I will be giving the elves five main workshops that are the heart of their fortress. These workshops are free to build and produce their respective seed also for free (e.g. grown birch seed, grown maple seed, etc.):

Sacred Birch (shown below)
Sacred Maple
Sacred Oak (shown below)
Sacred Pine
Sacred Willow

These seeds can then be used to build other workshops (certain workshops requiring certain seeds). Those workshops will then require the same seed to produce items. e.g. Sacred Birch (produces) -> Grown Birch Seed (which can build) -> Brier Thicket (trap workshop) -> Grown Birch Cage (requires another Grown Birch Seed).

This will encourage the player to "grow" lots of different kinds of trees/natural areas and multiple copies of those trees in order to increase production. In the example above, a player would have to increase the amount of Sacred Birch and Brier Thicket workshops in order to increase their grown birch cage production. This should also make the main free workshops the most abundant as multiple items will require the same seed (cage, mechanism, wooden spike, etc.).

This was a badlands now with Sacred Oaks and Sacred Birch trees.

I will also add a workshop (grown from a Willow Seed) that will produce water and allow land to become fertile.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 06:23:46 am »

maybe a tree gathering wand that basically acts like an axe?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2019, 06:38:02 am »

Placing stockpiles on top of saplings stops them from growing into trees.

Otherwise: Make tree-cutting elves. ;)
You must make with dfhack workshops that can be placed only on sapling. And made of sapling wood material. And grown wood from workshop must be as wood of workshop.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:39 am »

I don't think I am going to add a way to remove trees. Harvesting trees (even through magic) seems very against the elven philosophy.  I think that elves would be happy to engulf the world (and civilizations) in nature even if it was a detriment their own production/industry. However, from a gameplay mechanic, I could slow down the spread/growth of trees. This may make playing as other civilizations (like humans) harder, but it would be more realistic for a tree to take 10+ years to grow.

I also dont think I will add an easy way to obtain logs (even grown logs) because then Elf Fortress will just look and feel like Human Fortress. In the vanilla game, the elves do not build walls, floors and ceilings. However, this means that elves can't use beds, tables or chairs either (as those items have to be placed inside). Elves would be expected to eat and sleep in their trees.

You must make with dfhack workshops that can be placed only on sapling. And made of sapling wood material. And grown wood from workshop must be as wood of workshop.

Like my other Fortress mods, I am going to avoid dfhack. However, I will make most items "growable" from any of the five main seeds (birch, maple, oak, pine, willow) at specific workshops. I will give each material different properties making them better for different things though (e.g. oak being valuable for creating statues and chests, pine being more protective for armor, etc.) I could add more tree/seed types though to add more variety.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2019, 03:55:30 am »

I don't think I am going to add a way to remove trees. Harvesting trees (even through magic) seems very against the elven philosophy.  I think that elves would be happy to engulf the world (and civilizations) in nature even if it was a detriment their own production/industry. However, from a gameplay mechanic, I could slow down the spread/growth of trees. This may make playing as other civilizations (like humans) harder, but it would be more realistic for a tree to take 10+ years to grow.

I also dont think I will add an easy way to obtain logs (even grown logs) because then Elf Fortress will just look and feel like Human Fortress. In the vanilla game, the elves do not build walls, floors and ceilings. However, this means that elves can't use beds, tables or chairs either (as those items have to be placed inside). Elves would be expected to eat and sleep in their trees.

Like my other Fortress mods, I am going to avoid dfhack. However, I will make most items "growable" from any of the five main seeds (birch, maple, oak, pine, willow) at specific workshops. I will give each material different properties making them better for different things though (e.g. oak being valuable for creating statues and chests, pine being more protective for armor, etc.) I could add more tree/seed types though to add more variety.
Without dfhack you cannot make items "grown". So for elves you need dfhack.

Also, not try add modern baking. Only bread (as plant cheese) will be better.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2019, 07:17:32 am »

Without dfhack you cannot make items "grown". So for elves you need dfhack.

"Growing" isnt a problem using "grown oak seeds" obtained from "communing with nature" at the sacred oak. "Grown oak" is the material so at a workshop, those seeds grow into "grown oak cages" for example. So, the available seeds/materials come from the first five main magical workshops which can then be "grown" into items at other magic sites (e.g. grown birch cage, grown maple short sword, grown pine helm, etc.)

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ef_GROW_OAK_SEED]
[NAME:commune with nature]
[BUILDING:ef_SACRED_OAK:CUSTOM_SHIFT_A]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ef_SEED:INORGANIC:ef_GROWN_OAK_MAT]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

[REACTION:ef_GROW_CAGE]
[NAME:grow cage]
[BUILDING:ef_BRIAR_THICKET:CUSTOM_SHIFT_J]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ef_SEED:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CAGE:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

[INORGANIC:ef_GROWN_OAK_MAT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:grown oak]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:grown oak]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:GREEN]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melting grown oak]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:melting grown oak]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:GREEN]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling grown oak]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling grown oak]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[SPECIAL]

Also, not try add modern baking. Only bread (as plant cheese) will be better.

Good point.

I will do more research into it, but it looks like there was bread, pies, tarts (custard/fruit), cookies and cakes in the european middle ages (without sugar, yeast or exotic spices).

I will work on adding these as well as rose gardens, hedges and fountains today.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2019, 12:39:22 pm »

there were cakes even with sugar in medieval ages, but it was hard to come by.
so to make things sweet, they'd use honey or used sweet fruits.
when the elves gather tree seeds and/or saplings magically or by gathering them from the ground, and make them grow into furniture, we could also have them weave the growing branches in the big trees into walls of rooms.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2019, 02:03:03 pm »

when the elves gather tree seeds and/or saplings magically or by gathering them from the ground, and make them grow into furniture, we could also have them weave the growing branches in the big trees into walls of rooms.

This is a cool idea, but I don't think it is possible without dfhack. I believe the game considers "inside" a tile with a tile over it (like a ceiling), so without that, beds, chairs and tables can't be built. I could always just add a "grow log" reaction that makes "grown logs" so that the player could build wooden houses/castles/forts but the elves would no longer look like the vanilla elves (living in trees). I'm not sure the best way to handle this at the moment. Without the ability to build walls, I fear that the elves will not be an enjoyable race to play. With walls they will be closer to nature humans than to vanilla elves. I may be at a standstill on this idea/project again lol

there were cakes even with sugar in medieval ages, but it was hard to come by.
so to make things sweet, they'd use honey or used sweet fruits.

I have to think about how I want to handle these baked items. I think I will add a butter churn workshop to make butter and then make the following obtainable at a baker's oven:

> bread: milk; eggs (2); flour
> honey cake: milk; eggs (2); flour; honey
> honey cookie: egg, flour, butter, water
> custard tart: milk; eggs (3); flour; butter (2)
> strawberry tart: flour; butter (2); strawberry
> blackberry tart: flour; butter (2); blackberry
> blueberry tart: flour; butter (2); blueberry
> rasberry tart: flour; butter (2); rasberry
> honey tart: flour; butter (2); honey
> sweet potato pie: flour; butter; sweet potato, water
> strawberry pie: flour; butter; strawberry, water
> blackberry pie: flour; butter; blackberry, water
> blueberry pie: flour; butter; blueberry, water
> rasberry pie: flour; butter; rasberry, water

Any other requests?

I added a new poll. Should these items boost happiness?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:06:04 pm by brolol.404 »

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2019, 02:28:59 pm »

Having high labor intensive food options with a high reward sounds fair to me. Uh oh the was a big raid and everyone's gonna be on corpse duty for a month,  better bake up some strawberry tarts, lol.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2019, 06:12:26 am »

Having high labor intensive food options with a high reward sounds fair to me. Uh oh the was a big raid and everyone's gonna be on corpse duty for a month,  better bake up some strawberry tarts, lol.
just sounds fair to me :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:11 am »

Without dfhack you can't really terraform a place, but you can make "grass blocks" that you plant (construct) to create grass (floor). With TWBT you can make it look like any grass you want. Players can slowly terraform a desert or badlands and make it more and more green. Would be funny to see a garden one day in hell. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »

Without dfhack you can't really terraform a place, but you can make "grass blocks" that you plant (construct) to create grass (floor). With TWBT you can make it look like any grass you want. Players can slowly terraform a desert or badlands and make it more and more green. Would be funny to see a garden one day in hell. ;)

Yeah that was the plan. Large areas of groves, springs and glades as "workshops". I guess if I made them 1x1 it would give the player something to do without building/digging lol

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2019, 03:08:22 pm »

I meant constructions. Construct floor: Grass. It prevents trees from growing too, and you can always add your workshops later on on top.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7