Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Food Or Drink As A Beastman - Death By Starvation / Dehydration  (Read 3052 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile

I have attempted to play as a foxman several times, however every attempt ends the same: death due to hunger or thirst.
 I am always forced to spawn in an elvan tree during winter. There are never any farms, there is never any wild edible food, all water is frozen over, and my character is unable to seriously hurt the extremely rare animals.
 100% of the time I die from starvation or dehydration. The winter waste land is littered with foxman bones  :(

Note: leek leaves should be a 100% eatable food.
 Pine needles should also be 100% eatable ( but unpalatable to some creatures ) .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:35:39 pm by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: No Food Or Drink As A Beastman - Death By Starvation / Dehydration
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 02:57:28 pm »

Animal people carry the diet of their base animals over (or should, see red section). While adventurer animal people with the [BONECARN] token (example: wolf people) can't eat bones due a bug, adventurer animal people whose base animal has the [BONECARN] or [CARNIVORE] tokens will still be restricted to meat only. It's possible that foxes have the [BONECARN] or [CARNIVORE] tokens, thus forcing adventurer fox people to eat meat only. I say adventurers specifically because getting an animal person visitor, let alone a long-term resident or citizen, seems to be quite rare; though animal person LRs/citizens are probably diet-restricted in fort mode too.
Possible bug alert:
Grazer animal people seem to be omnivores, at least in adventurer mode - I asked a question about that here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173918.msg7969616#msg7969616.

Hydrocyanide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:22:53 am »

Yep, fox men are carnivorous, so even though there are plants with edible leaves all year round (garden cress, lettuce, spinach, artichoke hearts, bitter vetch, amaranths and red spinach, from the top of my head, the last one should even be available in a taiga biome), they aren't going to help. You'll have to find some animal to kill and eat, preferrably one larger than a weasel and smaller than a grizzly bear.

If all water is frozen and there is no snow around to melt, drinking blood would be an option. And while you cannot eat sentient creatures, wounding them and drinking their blood is fine. So if you're desperate enough, attacking one of the elves around could be an idea. (Alternatively, you could try to press on to another settlement or a less hostile biome, if they are close enough - you can make it pretty far in a day.)

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 09:08:08 am »

In case you don't know how to melt ice/snow (as Hydrocyanide mentioned) pick up snow, create a campfire with 'g', interact with the snow by pressing 'shift+I', and melt it.
I keep a lot of snow in my backpack whenever i start out/ travel through cold places.
Only nuisance about that is you can't melt a stack of snow at once, but every single unit of snow.

...but yeah, as the others pointed out, you'll have to kill something for meat.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 09:11:19 am by HakuryuVision »

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 11:37:08 am »

Melting snow I did not know about.

A few things I found out while inadvertently killing more foxmen:

1: lighting a campfire on top of a frozen river is perfectly fine
2: my bite does far more damage than my sword
3: foxman is no match for a grizzly bear
4: I can not eat snow for some reason 
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Hydrocyanide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 02:13:16 pm »

1. True! The river only melts if the outside temperature rises (e.g. in summer). Water will of course also freeze if temperatures drop below freezing, so don't go for a swim if it's very cold.
2. Is the sword in question wooden? (I think adventurers from elven civilisations start with a wood weapon?) If so, yeah, you're probably better off with your starting dagger (should always be metal) and unarmed combat.
3. Heh, not many unarmoured, untrained creatures are.
4. Doesn't really make sense, but yes, snow is inedible.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 01:27:29 am »

Butcher and craftsman can be useful skills. You can cut down a tree and make a bucket, I think. Which can be filled with snowand melted. I think you can make leather goods but that could be from a mod.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 01:05:51 pm »

Leather crafting in adventure mode is modded. DFhack gui/advfort is a nice mod for that. It just allows fortress crafts in adventure mode. No extra items.

Normally you start with a waterskin and a backpack. Both can be used to store water/ice/snow. Inns will have muggs that can be used for transporting drinks too.

As for biting being very effective, weapons are often not that good until you get a bit of skill. Going for a bite to the throat will finish many opponents. I'm not sure if I would let my adventurer bite zombies, even if it was effective. There might be other occasions were you would rather use a weapon.

If you start in an elven area, try and trade a bow. Maybe you can pay with leeks:p Enter sneak mode outside the village so you can see where animals are. Bigger birds are butcherable. Aim for the fat and the muscular.

Once your skills get high you can take on a grizzly bear any way you like: with your hands, with your teeth or with your weapon. To reach high skill you might want to use the run option once in a while. Foxes are good at running?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:20:47 am by Urist9876 »

adseaghtrnjty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 12:46:11 am »

You may have to immediately leave the elven civilization for a human one. However, it's also totally possible to go very hungry on the journey there and be attacked by boogeymen. I can't see you grinding any skills like shield user, but if you can, put one point into shield user so you "spawn" with a shield, if possible at all. I don't usually play as a furry, so I don't really know. For actual hunting though, you might be able to throw rocks or sneak attack the animals. If you're around elves, you may be able to train sneak by using an outside program like autohotkey or the built in macro generator(?) from DF itself. With that, you can sneak up to animals and use your signature bite. You say it's hard to hurt them, but you might need smaller prey. If there are mountains nearby, go into those and you might find goats or other small animals. It could be possible you're in a savage area. You could also simply kill and eat the elves, I guess.

When you're traveling, you can, of course, pick up the snow and heat it into water, but that requires a container. When moving, go and using the mountains.

All I've said was quite obvious, but I hope it helps. If you want, I would also love to see your world and try myself. I'm open to help.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 09:10:23 am »

(Un?)fortunately, sapient creatures (defined as creatures with the [CAN_LEARN] token in their raws) cannot be eaten by adventurers, or be made into trophies by adventurers (such as via bone carving), even if the ethics of the adventurer's starting civ permit that. Civs that allow eating of sapient creatures/making trophies out of them can, however, bring products made from sapient creatures in caravans from those civs in fortress mode (E.G. instruments with bone pieces, or one-piece instruments made of bone).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 12:10:49 pm »

Melting snow I did not know about.

A few things I found out while inadvertently killing more foxmen:

1: lighting a campfire on top of a frozen river is perfectly fine
2: my bite does far more damage than my sword
3: foxman is no match for a grizzly bear
4: I can not eat snow for some reason

If you want to to you could play a fort until spring, then there will be plenty of wild food. But since you are a foxman and therefore a carnivore you have a few options:

For water: If you need water, one way of getting it is to slit a creature (Another foxman or whatever)'s throat then wait a couple turns with [.]  this will create a pool of blood you can then drink from (It does this 100% of the time if you successfully slit their throat (it will say " a major artery has been torn" or something like that)

As someone else mentioned you can also make a campfire go [shift+i] then choose to heat whatever is holding the snow over the campfire this will make it melt into water

For food, for food i reccomend foraging on the ground rather then in the trees, look for spinach (which exists regardless of season in df right now) and pick spinach leaves, those are edible if you are not a carnivore

If that is not an option unfortunately you will have to kill an animal use your teeth, then you can take out whatever sharp edge weapon you have and hit x this will bring up the interaction menu, scroll through the list until you see "butcher a corpse" something similarly worded, then butcher it and grab its internal organs (they are weightless right now so dont slow you down) and then if thats not enough you can get its meat aswell.

This should be enough to survive wherever you are, also if you cant find food fast travel around and stop occasionally and look for animals rather then not fast traveling. Usually theres something around animals arn't as uncommon as you think.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:13:38 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

SakuraHeinz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 08:07:24 am »

Hoi! I played a lot of animal people lately and starting at elven town is already a challenge but not if you have experience:

1. You dont have a waterskin and probably only a wooden weapon(no problem):

-go out of town(Travel mode) range until the Camera zooms out of the city, stop in open nature open your walk menu and activate sneaking now walk in sneak mode until you see animals sneak to them and grab them from behind, than use wrestle and use "take down" now bite them to death(use horns/tusks if avaible), your wooden weapon is useless or equip the dagger and use it.
- butcher the animal(if it is large enough) the smallest animal I found in winter that has enough skin for leather is a Eagle, tan the skin and make a waterskin from leather.
- pick up meat/organs/bone if your animal person is a carnivore its the only thing you can eat.
- fill the waterskin with snow and make a campfire, now heat the waterskin on the campfire and you have water in winter to drink.

This is very easy to make, if you dont want to act like completely insane murderer and prey on humanoids.