Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes  (Read 1628 times)

AlphaNomad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi all,
I am fairly new to DF and honestly never use forums but this game and my question is fun enough for me to post so here goes,
First an explanation and background,
I have an older 2011 laptop that was running 64 bit win 7, I am not a huge computer expert but I know enough to get around the basics, I got an annoying bug that was slowing my computer down so I did a clean install of xp,
I did xp because that is the os that was sent with this laptop when new, my folks had upgraded to 7 and when they gave it to me did not have the win 7 disk just the original software discs that shipped with this unit.
Now due to another bug which I've found is common but I cannot seem to fix I cannot connect to the internet with this anymore and I found that the xp version is a 32 bit os.
Now through much trial and searching and reading of guides I found a 32 bit version of DF that I downloaded to USB and successfuly installed to my system  (v0.44.11)but it is only the ASCII version. I have done everything I can to get some simple graphical tilesets and cannot get any of them to work. I even found a version of the launcher with tiles that is 32 bit compatible but I cannot get it to work.
My question now is as annoying and awful for me to ask you guys does anyone have a file of DF with a simple and clear tilesets that will run on a 32 bit win xp laptop that I could download to USB and then to my laptop?
I was really loving the game and just starting to learn it but cannot seem to be able to understand the pure ASCII version, I have been trying with the DF I have on my system but just cannot seem to wrap my head around the symbols.
Thank you all for your patience if you've read this far and any help would be appreciated.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 05:52:47 pm »

Did you download the Legacy or SDL version? You need the SDL version for tilesets.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:02:49 pm »

Every version of the game is available right here at Bay12Games in 64 bit and 32 bit. You don't need to use an old version.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

Standard tilesets should Just Work (wiki can help you there):
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tilesets#Installation_and_creation_of_custom_tilesets

Graphics instructions here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphics#Installation

For fancy tilesets using TWBT I'm not sure. Someone from Dfhack development can presumably chime in on whether it's compatible with the 32 bit versions.

Of course, there may be a 32 bit starter pack out there somewhere too. That'd make your life easier.

(Incidentally, until the paid version is released (maybe next year) "Dwarf Fortress" only comes in an ASCII version. Everything else is fan made tiles, graphics, and packages putting all the mods and hacks together).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:12:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

AlphaNomad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:09:17 pm »

Thank you for your replies, I finally got everything working! after frustrating hours of searching and trying and downloading different versions I finally found out about the 2D graphics function setting in the starter pack launcher. It now works just like it used to and I'm so very happy I'm going to go learn how to die again! Thank you one and all once again.