Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts should be able to reproduce  (Read 2356 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts should be able to reproduce
« on: September 20, 2019, 07:13:01 pm »

I know sometimes they kill each other, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  But I like the idea that sometimes they should get together and make - lesser beasts.  Never as powerful as their parents but having properties of them. 

And not just with other forgotten beasts.  A lesser beast from a humanoid parentage would be just like a member of their species, only with some kind of property of their forgotten beast side.  You know, like a human with one crab claw or a dwarf that can breathe fire.  Maybe they are made of odd materials or just part of them is.  Give them a small stat boost to make them stand out a little.  Make them live a little longer and be a little tougher but nothing big.

I saw some future of the fort that mentioned procedurely generated creatures and thought this would fit right in.  Also, it wouldn't happen very often, like the forgotten beast has to encounter something and be in just the right mood not to fight it.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts should be able to reproduce
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 06:45:44 am »

On the one hand I like the idea, on the other hand I always thought that Titans and especially Forgotten Beasts are basically what was left over from creation. They shouldn't exist because they are so strange and mock life itself but non of the creators of the world bothered to clean up.

I think most other Monsters reproduce, so I'd like to see that happen with Night Creatures and maybe gods and demons.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:21:09 am »

Many mythological monsters were themselves children of the gods (multiple antagonist monsters in Norse Saga's were children of Loki) and the trope that monsters breed even more wierd monsters is fitting.
  • Yes i would agree, but I think the reproduction should be spontaneous trait and work out a little bit like the proposed devlog necromancer experiments where they fit into a set 'type-slot'. ("It gives birth to many minions") in place of a larger trait like fire-breathing or dust for the best kind of effect.
I can't actually see how a FB would feasibly mate with anything consentsually, especially sentients unless they were somehow blessed or influenced by the forgotten beast by worshipping it Dagon style.
I think most other Monsters reproduce, so I'd like to see that happen with Night Creatures and maybe gods and demons.

Night trolls forcefully transform citizens and mate with them, so I think context ought to bear heavily here for immaculate conception or very grounded consentual relationships in regards to dieties (Zeus was a notable extramarital womanizer if you need a key example), abstractly though the concept of a not quite so descript anti-christ child of a demon is both funny but possibly controversial.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 07:47:35 pm »

In thread about different reproduce ways.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 04:16:01 am »

They already *can* reproduce. :)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »

What happens if they do? They produce just another Forgotten beast?
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 01:13:30 am »

PTW

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 11:57:17 am »

This piqued my interest. So do some of the FBs (and Titans) have sexed castes, similar to Clowns? Either way they shouldn't reproduce when encountering one another due to being part of different species. If they were not each one-of-a-kind it would be a different story.

+1 to the suggestion anyhow. It feels like something that would fit in all settings where FB:s are considered aberrant monstrosities by nature. After all, isn't two strange monstrosities breeding and giving birth to other strange monstrosities extremely myth-like (e.g. Echidna + Typhon => Cerberus, The Lemernean Hydra etc.).

Considering gods (or primordial pseudo-gods) often have a part in this (both Echidna and Typhon are of divine descent, Loki, Zeus of course) I feel like this would be fit for some part of the mythgen development. This even if the body rewrite (allowing partial transformation, true half-breeds) has not been done yet; far from all of these are physically similar to their parents.

I'm surprised I can't seem to find another older thread like this.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:39:41 pm »

Some ideas for this were talked about in the "Alternative breeding variants" thread.

Personally, I think it would be cool if he implemented a gender generator system (for creatures it is appropriate for, IE, titans, FBs, clowns, etc). That way, you could have a species of clowns that reproduces using a third party (infection with syndrome/sting), or that reproduces asexually, or that reproduces via a ternary operation (two members of different genders both knock up a third), or even a system where two creatures of opposing genders where both can get pregnant (via oviposition).

The possibilities are really out there.

The sting/syndrome pregnancy would be really interesting, a lot of parasitic creatures sort of reproduce that way, laying eggs in or on others as a food source for their young- mostly after normal sexual reproduction. A FB could impregnate your dorf army with stings during battle and you won't know there's a problem for months until the young burst out of them in the middle of you tavern.

These kind of changes would make sense with the things he's doing for the magic update- making way more about the game procgen.

The book I Contain Multitudes talks about a self-cloning parasitic wasp that has a female only population.  They create fertile cloned eggs of themselves that they stab into grubs with their ovipositor, the egg hatches and eats the grub from the inside.  That would be a cool thing for demons or FBs to do.

Another thing I think would be interesting, for some worlds at least, would be FBs breeding. If their logic allowed them to meet each other without fighting to the death they could occasionally breed.  I don't think you'd have to really over think it too much, ancient myths are full of creatures birthing unrelated creatures, it would a way to add procgen beasts to a world after generation.  Any two beasts could meet and lay an egg somewhere that could hatch using the same procgen logic the game uses to make them in world gen.  That way if you have a high beast or savagery world it wouldn't have to slowly run out of monsters.

I'd add to the list of cool breeding ideas - demons could puke out their young instead of standard birth or eggs, also not unheard of in the animal kingdom.