Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow fast travel while at Evil Civ type sites and Evil Sites in general  (Read 1311 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]

For some reason, adventurers aren't allowed to fast travel through evil civ type sites. This is especially awkward if your a bonafide site member, but can't fast travel despite the guards and the villagers of the site not being hostile at all due to being in the same faction. Even if they are hostile, fast travel shouldn't be cut altogether at all- considering even if your hostile with other Civs with non-Evil Site types you can still fast travel through their holdings. It should be instead where if you attempt to fast travel through any settlement that is hostile to you, there is a chance of an encounter instead of being locked from fast-travel. This will significantly reduce tedium traveling through pits... As for Pits..

Why do Goblins (or any modded civ utilizing Evil Site type) have trenches in the first place? Why would they need trenches at all when this is a medieval style game. It should be replaced with watch towers or walls instead, or something else entirely.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:24:30 pm by Lidku »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Allow fast travel while at Evil Civ type sites and Evil Sites in general
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 12:06:52 am »

Well, I think fast travelling through enemy sites should still be blocked. But there needs to be a better system to check that than "is bad place?".

It's especially frustrating when you're playing a completely vanilla game and you find that you can't fast travel from your own home because it's a camp or a dark pits due to historical takeovers.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 07:52:26 pm »

I think, its strange, if you play as goblin, but cannot travel from your site. Also bug with chat_worthy needs fixing.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:18:16 am »

The reason is that if you travelled you would escape all the evil clouds.

The issue however, is why are [EVIL] creatures not immune to said clouds?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:57:48 am »

And again, it's currently too efficient. If you start in a dwarven dark pits or camp (because, history) on a non-modded, vanilla game, you cannot fast-travel from or through your home because Site="bad place". Ancient mechanic broken by the (relatively) new world rules.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 01:39:35 pm »

Evil Civs barely set up shop in evil biomes. They usually make settlements in regular terrain types. Even then your adventurer could fast-travel through evil biomes anyway.

EDIT: Also the cloudes in evil biomes don't care for the alignment of any creatures. I think only Necromancers are immune to that cloud, but anything else, even if a goblin, get zombified if they make even one contact with it. The cloud is just an environmental danger accompanying the place.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:42:18 pm by Lidku »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »

And again, it's currently too efficient. If you start in a dwarven dark pits or camp (because, history) on a non-modded, vanilla game, you cannot fast-travel from or through your home because Site="bad place". Ancient mechanic broken by the (relatively) new world rules.

I never use fast-travel anyway.  Not that I play Adventure Mode at present because of the folks killing rescued kids bug. 

The no fast travel mechanic in dark pits was pretty lazy on the devs part.  Rather than coming up with a general, logical system to prohibit fast-travel in various contexts, they came up with specific solutions in every single context.

Evil Civs barely set up shop in evil biomes. They usually make settlements in regular terrain types. Even then your adventurer could fast-travel through evil biomes anyway.

EDIT: Also the cloudes in evil biomes don't care for the alignment of any creatures. I think only Necromancers are immune to that cloud, but anything else, even if a goblin, get zombified if they make even one contact with it. The cloud is just an environmental danger accompanying the place.

They can set up there, [EVIL] wildlife creatures also live there.  It does not really make sense that they are effected by said effects, they do not take losses when the map is offloaded but they do when it is onloaded. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:54:33 pm by GoblinCookie »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:20:23 pm »

Well you are able to sneak in fast-travel. I think the all out inaccess on fast traveling through Evil Civ sites should be lifted, with emphasis on using sneak to get through the site without encounters. I also suppose entities that inhabit EVIL biomes just attempt to hunker down or try to avoid evil clouds when they spring up from an RP standpoint. Also now that I think of it, maybe the Trenches DO make sense, maybe as a underground byway to avoid whenever such a thing begins to pop-up.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:29:25 pm by Lidku »

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 04:46:35 pm »

I think this feature should be changed for the sole reason that it lags. I play on a pretty mediocre laptop, and when travelling through Dark Fortresses while sprinting, I average about one step per minute or so, I know this isn't a problem for everyone, but it deterred me from exploring the fortresses.
The sneaking idea is honestly my favourite, but I also think sites should be classified according to civilisations, not alignment.(At least with the Dark Fortresses/Pits, I personally don't mind with camps and towers, because they're small and in the middle of nowhere.) I think this would work a bit like this:
Game looks at player's civ
Compares it against site's civ
If at war, fast travel is limited. (only safe while sneaking.)

It needs more improvement, but I'd be pretty happy with this system.
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*