Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nostalgia hit hard  (Read 1514 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Nostalgia hit hard
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:39:06 am »

I remember seeing the ASCII for the first time,
the purple, brown, yellow and all the other colors on the world map and not having an idea what shit was.
The magic of seeing the "O's" and the happy little faces and... Man. *dwarfy tear*.
It's amazing how now I just see everything in the ASCII.
I make things out of marble for my dwarves even though I as the player can't really see a difference between it and any other white stone.
It's unbelievable what DF does to your brain.

Nostalgia thread
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:54:37 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia hit hard
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 11:06:49 am »

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Militarydwarves who trained by engraving the quarries.
Tentacle demons rushing out of the adamantine chamber, leaving their crazy playthings behind.
Entire threads wiped out of existence after someone won the Most Evil Deed contest.
I've watched carp drag a legendary axedwarf into the river and tear him to pieces.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:19:42 am by HmH »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 12:36:23 pm »

My first glimpse of legends mode. For my first several games I had no idea it existed, but then I noticed it, checked it out for sheer curiosity, and ended up in awe of the stories it told about my worlds that I otherwise would've had no idea about.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 12:51:58 pm »

I still think about the first fort where I made any headway with the military screen. I started with an animal trainer who I gave some social skills to be my expedition leader, and she struck up a romance with my militia commander almost instantly. I drew them, based on their descriptions, because I loved the idea of this disney princess dwarf and her knight in shining ≡bronze armour≡, watched over by her horde of trained cave crocodiles. I miss that fort :')

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 05:41:22 pm »

Hard to believe it's 10 years now that I've been playing DF.

I still remember that one night in the summer of July 2009 when I first found out about it.  I was playing a heavily modded version of BGII: Shadows of Amn and googled "sleeping dwarf" as there was a quest related to the dwarf sleeping in the Copper Coronet.  That turned up the old Magmawiki page for noise and I started browsing through it, downloaded a version of 40d...and the rest is history.  I don't remember my first fort but I do remember how awesome it was when I checked and saw 0.31.01 was released.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 07:40:04 am »

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Militarydwarves who trained by engraving the quarries.
Tentacle demons rushing out of the adamantine chamber, leaving their crazy playthings behind.
Entire threads wiped out of existence after someone won the Most Evil Deed contest.
I've watched carp drag a legendary axedwarf into the river and tear him to pieces.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.

I see what you did there, and I approve.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 02:33:43 am »

I remember my first fortress on 40.24

It was a mountainside with terrifying wilds around it. 6 of the first 7 were killed in the first spring by a giant undead wolverine. No immigrants made it to the rough perimeter till the next spring. Leaving 1 dwarf to bury his 6 friends.

I followed the story of that dwarf. That kind of thing can change a dwarf. He was slain by a were mammoth the next year, and his corpse got up and charged the traps gate. He would finally join his brothers in the crypt of the founding seven.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 11:02:33 am »

My first tantrum spiral, which included the vampiric mayor being beaten to death by a child, and one lone survivor of the fort, standing there, training with her copper axe in the midst of the carnage.

We rebuilt.