Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fulfilling needs  (Read 2599 times)

treehugger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fulfilling needs
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:04:36 am »

I have been trying lately to fullfill some of the needs for my dwarves. Mostly been focusing on pray/meditate and "craft an object" I kinda found a way that works for me while using dwarf therapist, but it is starting to get too tedious. Especially with 100 dwarves. When I get to 200 I will probably not be able to keep up. Setting them up for crafting works fairly well but praying is difficult to get to work properly. Even though I cancel all their jobs and all hauling tasks they still dont go to the temple. I am also wondering if its a bug that they dont go praying without having to cancel all their jobs? If anyone could give me some tips here it would be great!

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fulfilling needs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 05:12:02 am »

Hi. I've heard that, with praying, it helps to have single-god temples. I have a temple for each god and one generic (for foreign gods) and I haven't noticed any problems. All are regularly visited. Maybe you need to let some time pass, but you definitely do not need to cancel jobs (I have work shop orders running for years or decades).

For the crafting needs of my 160 dwarves, I have made some 8-10 craft shops, with different rank requirements and different permanent orders covering different materials and then I've given to most of the dwarves wood, bone or stone crafting (with Therapist it's super easy). Excluded are the very skilled artisans, that regularly craft exquisite and masterwork items through my orders.
This way there is a constant rotation of dwarves crafting stuff and taking care of that need, but it's not super micromanaged. The "super-micromanagy" way would be to make dedicated workshops for every 1-2 dwarves and only allow those to craft there, with permanent orders to craft something every season or so, but I'm not willing to go that mad with the system. With my system I can switch the dwarves working for their needs through max 10 clicks on Therapist.

Krakyziabr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:41:59 am »

With my system I can switch the dwarves working for their needs through max 10 clicks on Therapist.

how often do you do this? twice a month? once a month? frequency can also turn into micromanagement

If you have  dwarves who pray to 3-4 gods?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:59:47 am »

How fulfill needs of goblins?

treehugger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 01:45:21 pm »

Ah! Thank you for these tips Kathe! I will play around with it. After some searching around on the forum yesterday I found a solution for the pray/meditate issue I have. Now I just check once in a while who is in the reds in therapist and then I assign them to a temple burrow with drinks and food stockpiles. Much easier, even though I still have to micro it to some extent but at least it gets the job done. Also I do not have to cancel their labors this way which was a huge pain in the bum after a while And for now its sort of fun to look after it and see their praying needs fullfilled. Damn I love this game!

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:22:07 pm »

I have a temple dedicated to each god - each temple is 5 x 5 and fully engraved by a master engraver, has a well made table, a well made statue, and a well made door. The temple district is even in the central area of the fort !

After 2 or 3 years the dorks simply ignore the temples, and think unhappy thoughts instead of praying. There were a lot of AI problems that came with the 44 wants&needs update .

Also, dorks tend to stop thinking happy thoughts after a while about stuff they have experienced in the past ( legendary dining room, good quarters, a well made door, e.t.c.
 I think it's 2 years, but I have not tested it yet. Everyone in my fort ignores the master crafted armor stand encrusted with master cut gems, and master decorated ivory inlays ( one of the most expensive non artifact items in my fort ). The  thing is sitting right in the middle of the hallway where everyone has to walk.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 03:54:17 am »

It's intended that dorfs don't tend to needs when tasked with work: work trumps leisure time. However, if needs go unattended for too long dorfs WILL Socialize! or Worship! as uninterruptible needs satisfaction tasks that do take precedence over work. A well managed fortress allows dorfs some free time between tasks for need satisfaction (that they're rather inept at actually succeeding in satisfying needs on their own is a different bugs+tuning set of issues).

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 04:05:20 am »

With my system I can switch the dwarves working for their needs through max 10 clicks on Therapist.

how often do you do this? twice a month? once a month? frequency can also turn into micromanagement

The possible switching-around-who-gets-to-satisfy their crafting needs, maybe once every year, if I see that there are some particularly unhappy dwarves or remove the ecstatic ones from the program. Otherwise I just leave everything running as is.

As for praying, I don't really do anything. The temples are there, dwarves use them, I don't really pay that much attention to it because I haven't noticed any glaring problems.

Krakyziabr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 06:00:59 am »

The possible switching-around-who-gets-to-satisfy their crafting needs, maybe once every year, if I see that there are some particularly unhappy dwarves or remove the ecstatic ones from the program. Otherwise I just leave everything running as is.

As for praying, I don't really do anything. The temples are there, dwarves use them, I don't really pay that much attention to it because I haven't noticed any glaring problems.

could you look in dwarf therapist for dwarves who pray to 3 or 4 gods? please?

Ninjaedit: I as well as you have built a temple to each God and a common temple but dwarves who have more than two gods still cannot pray properly
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:07:30 am by Krakyziabr »

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 04:10:35 pm »

A well managed fortress allows dorfs some free time between tasks for need satisfaction (that they're rather inept at actually succeeding in satisfying needs on their own is a different bugs+tuning set of issues).
As of right now, it's not possible to scheduled tasks, even with mods. Once the pop gets over 50, managing things manually is not feasible.
 Example: If I have an order to cook fine meals until the fort runs out of raw food, I have no control over who works in the kitchens, and when the work gets done.

There is no way in the underdark I'm babysitting the jobs list, and keeping notes on who needs a break - especially with 120+ dorks  I'm trying to keep alive .

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:12:13 pm by RLS0812 »
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 04:39:01 pm »

You do have control over who works in the kitchen: those with the labors to do so. If you've got enough dorf power you can set up things such that you don't run everyone at 100%. If you e.g. have two kitchens and 3 cooks and they don't have other labor assigned the cooks won't work more than 2/3 of the time even if the kitchens themselves are worked around the clock. The other side of the work equation would be to reduce the amount of work requested to match the ability of the fortress to absorb it with a suitable amount of slack.

Personally I run low pop fortresses with winter being the Rest & Recreation season (although it is frequently trashed by the need to clean up after and process gate crashing gobbos), which requires that I make a tour around all the workshops twice per year (I don't use the manager) to suspend work and reenable it, respectively.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 08:01:14 am »

I would really recommend using the manager, It makes everything so much easier.

Having some reserve squads rotating into training also helps with martial arts needs in my experience.
In a time before time, I had a name.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 12:38:04 pm »

Part of my "R&R" is a month of military training.

The reason I don't use the manager is that it doesn't work for what I want done, as far as I'm concerned (after the latest manager update I tried to set up a number of jobs that were complex enough that it should be easier to set it up in the manager than directly in the workshops, but all of them failed to either work at all or work properly):
- It places jobs in the wrong workshops (the block making mason's shop gets furniture, and vice versa, and the magma glass furnace gets bogged down by sand collection orders that should be handled by the ordinary glass furnace off in a corner that exists solely to host those orders).
- Complex orders don't work at all (trying to do e.g. shearing results in cancellation spam, while a once per year repeat order [in the shear/spin workshop by the pasture] produces a single cancellation message when all animals have been shorn. It's possible to write a repeating DFHack script that does shearing with cancellation messages only when you manage to slaughter an animal that was due for shearing, though (but that bypasses the manager completely).
- You can't use it to produce clothing reliably because it can't make decisions based on equipment quality or size, and when running out of source material production restarts with the first item rather than continuing in a round robin fashion, resulting in too many of the first type of clothing and too few of the later ones.
- It can't handle workshops with multiple job types, so it will block all production in all craftdwarf workshops on the job type the dorf that went on a prayer bender served.
- It can't start/suspend jobs based on the calendar.

However, if the manager works for you, that's fine. Keep using it.

treehugger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 12:49:33 pm »

Hah! Thanks for that post PatrikLundell! I was thinking about it just yesterday to start to use the manager. Havent used it yet at all. I like the workflow plugin(dfhack?) Been playing quite a few forts over the last 2-3 years since I started playing this game but the manager have been sort of of-putting for me. I like the idea of setting up the orders myself since I feel I do not have the same control with the manager. And the fact that I then didn't feel I learned the mechanics of the game completely. But if it doesn't even work reliably.. Guess I will put it off for a little longer then!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 09:07:48 pm »

@PatrikLundell:
- JSYK; if you select a workshop with q-P, you can set manager orders for this particular workshop and disallow general work orders; this will work neatly if you only have 1 block-making/sand-collecting workshop.
- As far as calendar goes, there is the "checked yearly/seasonally" condition+"x order must be completed first". Though I am not sure whether that will result in counting from 1st Granite or from when order is first validated, either one could be jury-rigged into doing something near the start of the summer.

@treehugger: You might find this post in particular and that thread in general to be helpful. But yeah, like PatrikLundell says, when you aim for N of quality or need to use job-material, workflow is still generally superior (but shearing doesn't work for it either). Outside of these, I'd say manager is better.
Pages: [1] 2