Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Noita  (Read 48247 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Noita
« on: September 25, 2019, 02:56:57 pm »

Noita is more or less Spelunky meets Powder Toy. Or Liero, if you're already familiar with the genre of Finnish cave shooters.
You walk and hover around a randomly generated cave system, casting magic spells from randomly generated wands, and finally die due to your own hubris. The magic includes several kinds of damage-dealing projectiles, and also explosives, clouds, liquid generators, spells that act as modifiers to other spells, projectiles that trigger other spells upon impact, and several things that are mostly good for killing yourself by accident. You can combine different spell effects, and should you somehow survive, build some truly overpowered things.
There's falling water, falling sand, falling crates of explosives and other falling things. Also burning things.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:48:54 pm by Soadreqm »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noita
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 03:15:33 pm »

Played it a bit, and it doesn't feel great.

I mean the game can be cool, and there are many things to find; but everything is random, many things are limited ("big" spells have a limited number of cast per dungeon) and you can only re-arrange your spells in your wands (to put the "shotgun modifier on a wand instead of another, for example) in the "between dungeon" area, you can not really test things.

It is fun, but I feel like it could be twice as good with little improvements :/

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 05:08:45 pm »

I love the idea of this, it looks pretty unique, I've heard it runs on proton so I might end up picking it up at some stage.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 08:54:25 pm »

and you can only re-arrange your spells in your wands (to put the "shotgun modifier on a wand instead of another, for example) in the "between dungeon" area, you can not really test things.

Do you mean having a target dummy or the like? You can still fire your wands quite liberally in the 'between dungeon' area, so I haven't had too much issue fiddling with spell sequences. (That said, I have almost killed myself a couple of times doing so...)

Edit: Turns out "edit wands anywhere" is one of the random perks you can pick in between levels. It's called that outright, too, so it's not one of the cryptic ones.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:36:09 pm by Dostoevsky »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 02:06:44 am »

I mean the game can be cool, and there are many things to find; but everything is random, many things are limited ("big" spells have a limited number of cast per dungeon) and you can only re-arrange your spells in your wands (to put the "shotgun modifier on a wand instead of another, for example) in the "between dungeon" area, you can not really test things.
Yeah, that's definitely true. I think it's deliberate, to force the player to dive deeper and take risks. If you remove the limits, you can easily start running into the opposite problem, where you can easily make an overpowered wand and no longer have any need to experiment.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:08:43 am »

I remember Liero!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:44:40 am »

Picked this up and played for a little bit. Seems interesting so far, I enjoy the environmental interactions.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 08:34:15 am »

and you can only re-arrange your spells in your wands (to put the "shotgun modifier on a wand instead of another, for example) in the "between dungeon" area, you can not really test things.

Do you mean having a target dummy or the like? You can still fire your wands quite liberally in the 'between dungeon' area, so I haven't had too much issue fiddling with spell sequences. (That said, I have almost killed myself a couple of times doing so...)

Edit: Turns out "edit wands anywhere" is one of the random perks you can pick in between levels. It's called that outright, too, so it's not one of the cryptic ones.
If you test out some more destructive spells during that in-between level and you damage enough of the surrounding area, you will have an invincible enemy spawn over the upgrade altar who will shoot explosive spells at you and slowly follow you throughout the rest of the game, always respawning at the altar. Plus I don't think you can test out spells with limited uses without spending those uses, since the refill is a thing you pick up at the start of it.

With that and the stringent inventory limit, it really does feel like they're punishing you for trying to take more educated guesses.

That said, the game has massive potential and is still fun and interesting to play.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 11:26:23 am »

Still trying to figure out how some of the rules work with spells, does anybody know?  Like how modifiers work, how it cycles through spells, etc.  2 bolts and a fire modifier made it shoot fire only on the third shot, others seem to modify everything

i found a wand with like ten bolts, a triple, a bounce, and a fire l, which just sprayed fiery bolts in random directions, setting everything on fire and killing me
Shoes...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 11:42:26 am »

Pretty much a nope for me, although I do have a few observations...

The first thing to check is whether or not the wand has "yes" to shuffle - that means it'll randomly go through the spells before recharging instead of going through in the right order. E.g. 1234, 4231, 1324, etc.

If shuffle is at "no," then it'll run through all the spells in sequence before triggering the wand recharge cooldown (the second of the two cooldown figures). I.e. 1234, 1234, 1234...

One mouse click will only fire one salvo (usually set to a single spell attack, though some wands will do more at once naturally). Holding the mouse button down will fire as fast as the inter-sequence cooldown allows (the first of the two cooldown figures).

If it's a spell that triggers another spell upon completion, you still need mana for the subsequent stage or that subsequent stage will not trigger.

Otherwise... it seems like a modifier affects the spell immediately afterwards (or adjacent?), except that with the chainsaw/melee spell I could get a faster rate of fire by putting splitters and the like after the spell instead of beforehand.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 06:54:45 pm »

Mmm... so I hit a polymorph potion, turned into some kind of worm. I burrowed straight down. Turns out the temples between levels are literally between levels. I burrowed through two of them before turning back into a person.

Then I got a message "You have angered the gods" and a lot of monsters attacked me all at once. So don't do that?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 09:48:23 am »

Mmm... so I hit a polymorph potion, turned into some kind of worm. I burrowed straight down. Turns out the temples between levels are literally between levels. I burrowed through two of them before turning back into a person.

Then I got a message "You have angered the gods" and a lot of monsters attacked me all at once. So don't do that?
Yeah, the entire world is continuous. With enough black hole spells, or chaotic polymorph juice, you can go anywhere.
The divine punishment occurs when you dig through the temple, or more commonly, when anything else digs through the temple. It only spawns one temple guardian though, so the things that attacked you were probably just the normal monsters for the level you were at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 11:15:32 am »

When the wand hits a modifier it reads to the right, picking up any more modifiers until it hits the next spell.  So you want to put your modifiers on the left, with the best modifiers last, so they trigger on the maximum number of clicks.

My best random wand so far, once I cleaned up the spell order, was bifurcated cast and three bouncing sparks with trigger, basically a bullet hell wand that filled any enclosed space with bouncing sparks.  Unlike the sawblades which also bounce, the sparks don't damage you, so you can just fill a room with sparks and run through it.  Another really good spell is glowing lance, which passes through any loose material.  Really good in snow and coal heavy areas, you can hide behind them and kill people through the powder.

Favorite death so far, I got the electric perk which electrifies any metal you're touching, accidentally landed on one of those sea-mines.  It blew up and threw me across the cave, directly into an oil barrel, which also blew up.  I got alley-ooped.

And yeah, the whole map is one instance.  THere's a lot more than just the sequence of levels passing through holy mountain.  If you find chaotic polymorphine (remember you can right click to squirt instead of throwing it) you can fly over the cliff to the right, there's a floating island with an orb and an altar, and even further to the right there's a desert with a pyramid dungeon.  Underground there's a lava field on the right which I haven't managed to cross yet, don't know what's on the other side.  To the left of the dungeon there seems to be a side dungeon that goes all the way to the bottom with no holy mountain transitions.
Shoes...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 02:26:41 pm »

Underground there's a lava field on the right which I haven't managed to cross yet
You can refill any flask with water. Spray the contents out with right mouse, and then step into deep water while holding the empty flask.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 02:31:40 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a bug but I have noticed that you can slowly 'delete' liquid by pulling out a wand, standing in the liquid, crouching down and repeatedly swiping the wand back and forth against the ground.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20