Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Sunless Skies: Murder a Sun  (Read 15035 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sunless Skies: Murder a Sun
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2017, 09:16:04 pm »

But how is the game itself?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2017, 04:13:40 am »

Hard to tell from a pre-alpha... many features and areas aren't in or aren't completed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2017, 11:26:46 am »

So it's early access or are they literally selling the pre-alpha? Sunless Sea didn't go up on Steam until it was reasonably playable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2017, 12:55:56 pm »

To the contrary, their post says that this should be a complete vertical slice of the game. Most features and gameplay is in, it's just that only 1 of the 4 game areas is in.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2017, 01:05:26 pm »

Maybe they've got more skills than during SS but it changed A LOT between pre-alpha and near release. Whole systems reworked.

And it's a Failbetter game so the content is literally 90% of the game.

Wasn't planning on getting in early, it seriously spoiled Sunless Sea for me. So I was going to wait either way.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2017, 01:48:35 pm »

https://www.failbettergames.com/sunless-skies/sunless-skies-faq/

I'd suggest holding off unless you're a huge fan of their work.  What is there is mostly good, but it isn't a game yet.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »

To the contrary, their post says that this should be a complete vertical slice of the game. Most features and gameplay is in, it's just that only 1 of the 4 game areas is in.

That's pretty much what it looked like as I played through it, there's about a dozen ports included within a single region and while it's very incomplete, I gotta say that the basic bits do play pretty well. I'd say Terror gain is a bit too quick and I'm also unused to needing a bit of finesse to not smash into everything with my space train, but it's a solid baseline. The art has improved tremendously, the music is still great and what I've seen of the stories is really quite promising.

Wouldn't advise buying it at this juncture unless you like paying for a demo, of course, but as someone who got it for backing and deeply enjoyed Sunless Sea, I'm quite happy with it.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2017, 12:21:34 am »

there's a lot of stuff going on in The Reach. interesting how its just Early Access but there's already a lot of intriguing characters and places.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:34:16 am by xaritscin »

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2017, 01:30:29 am »

deleted,responded to an early post without realising it.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2021, 07:16:04 pm »

I have to say: Iīm playing Sunless Skies and I find it much more accesible than Sunless Sea. I never managed to truly get into the latter. In the former, Iīm hooked. Tuned fuel and supply consumption to "thrifty" to make it just slightly challenging without crippling my ability to explore (you couldnīt do this in Sunless Sea without tweaking around with inis, and it discouraged exploration too much for me). And the world seems more alive, with you finding wrecks, marauders, etc... in previously explored areas. There are also wonders and horrors, which provide extra oomph on the exploration &lovecraftyness feeling. I find myself embarking into exploratory expeditions, and sometimes I find myself wondering if that particular one will end like Franklinīs.

I kind of wish Sunless Sea had the accesibilty, QoL, and extra features of Sunless Skies, though. I found SSīs atmosphere gloomier.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:19:27 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2021, 11:20:36 am »

I prefer Sunless Sea's lore and writing myself, but the mechanics of Skies are a significant improvement.

The main issue I have with both games is how slow they are. At least Skies gives you full steam now. Haven't tried with the Sovereign update, but I gather there's a new engine you can get that has an even faster full steam mode.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2021, 11:40:51 am »

I actually really liked the pace of Sunless Sea. It's the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon game. Yeah, once you're about 50% of the way through the game, steaming across the known world with nothing new to encounter is a bit of a drag. But the first half it's got the right balance to me. But I'm definitely a stop and smell the roses kind of gamer.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]