Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: Noita  (Read 48416 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Noita
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2019, 03:37:35 am »

Oh, did they fix gunpowder trail? That's nice; before it'd just burn away without the slightest explosion (only gunpowder arc or the fireworks modifier would act like proper gunpowder).

Which also meant that it didn't pop when hitting terrain, so it would just pile up in a great big mound and block off passageways very quickly. So, obviously, putting that on an unstable crystal projectile was a horrible idea back when I did that... Because the crystal just sits there for ages, burying itself under a mountain of gunpowder and insulating itself against any sort of interaction that might blow it up (the gunpowder was piling up faster than it could burn).

Currently I've got a very nice "ruin everything" wand that's a timed spark bolt that spits off four mists with double acid trail. This combination is infinitely reusable, and tends to do a pretty good job of obliterating enough terrain that I can just pop through once everything's evaporated. It generates way, way more acid than the acid rain spell... Been using it to melt my way through the holy mountains!

As an aside, if you have a method of killing the secret spider boss, do that... Last time I did, it dropped a pretty sick wand (something like 1000 regen, 3000 mana cap, 21 slots, no shuffle). Plus of course another health up.

The dragon wyrm didn't poop out nearly as much cool stuff, its wand was already lackluster compared to the things I'd picked up normally in the jungle.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2019, 11:59:12 am »

Oh, I meant gunpowder arc.
Ah yeah, that'll do it... Most of the arcs are pretty dangerous when you're using them straight up!

Anyways, lost a LOT of progress today... Was playing on the same save that'd crashed earlier, and while that save is a little odd (some terrain/items are like they were before I went into the sky, some thing are like they were after) and I seem to have lost a couple wands to save glitchiness, it's still a good seed and I've got a couple crazy wands.

So I kept going, exploring, trying stuff out... Ended up with even crazier wands (including a 25-slot wand that I filled out with about 14 damage+ shocking burning crit-on-burning homing mists), got explosion immunity on top of lightning immunity, learned that dormant crystals are capable of some serious homing and also are immune to acid (which means that if you have one with an acid trail, you can just place it and it will sit there forever constantly pumping out acid and melting the terrain underneath it), used my new immunity to put together a crazy lightning shotgun wand and learned that if you put a trail on lightning, it will apply quickly enough on a direct hit to count for critical calculations (I.E., water trail + crit on wet enemies let the lightning crit everything on the first blast, although that might have something to do with there being multiple bolts). Also I was using lightning to douse myself, which I found kinda funny.

Melted my way through the vault, was fiddling around in there for a while when suddenly... I fucked up bad. Hit the hotkey for what was usually my digging wand, but I'd swapped it out for the acid crystal. Got a faceful of green death.

And, uh... Turns out you can savescum! So I'm only about, ooh, 6 hours back... Instead of nearly 20.

EDIT: Oh, right, and there's a new update out now with new spells/enemies/stuff. Also apparently a new secret ending, I guess in case the moon wasn't enough? Jibbers.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2019, 02:49:18 pm »

Frankly I'd just like a mod that guarantees that there will be one decent combat wand in the mines.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2019, 04:04:00 pm »

New update also includes better-incorporated modding support, including a mod that randomizes your starting loadout based on various schools of magic.

Ooh, very neat. There's a modding page (linked to in the patchnotes) with a nice array of mods array. Mostly nice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2019, 04:31:42 pm »

The randomized start is pretty ace. Best I've seen so far is probably summoner, which has one wand that doesn't matter and a second wand with no spell components... and always cast summon rock. Football wizard agogo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2019, 07:18:33 pm »

The randomized start is pretty ace. Best I've seen so far is probably summoner, which has one wand that doesn't matter and a second wand with no spell components... and always cast summon rock. Football wizard agogo.
I just got a "Fire Druid". Starts with oil blood and fire immunity. Wands have fireball and oil trail, and firebolt and always cast oil trail.
It's amazing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2019, 08:05:10 pm »

I got the same or something similar. Second wand had torch, I think. Turns out when you pop a torch modifier on a wand with oil trail it becomes less 'oil' and more 'liquid fire'. Ignites the oil as it's leaving the wand, flamethrower style. It's pretty awesome. Puddles of fire all over the place, first time I've seen much of that particular effect.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2019, 10:29:22 pm »

That's a weird way to spell opportunity. There's no bs in that, though there might be bees in this prospective doom wand. Incidentally, you could make wand that spawns bees. Big bees, little bees, clouds of bees, trails of bees, bees for days. If the game has a bee modifier I haven't seen it yet and the lack is sore. Sore like myriad bee stings. Noita needs bee projectiles and bee summons with great urgency.

In other news, I've found out lava (and liquids in general) react really friggin' weirdly to having rocks chucked into them. Drained most of the lava lake just by spamming rocks into the thing, and it even drained out pretty quick. Not thoroughly, but most of the lava just kinda' vanished.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:33:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »

That's a weird way to spell opportunity. There's no bs in that, though there might be bees in this prospective doom wand. Incidentally, you could make wand that spawns bees. Big bees, little bees, clouds of bees, trails of bees, bees for days. If the game has a bee modifier I haven't seen it yet and the lack is sore. Sore like myriad bee stings. Noita needs bee projectiles and bee summons with great urgency.

I'm suddenly reminded of this bit from Don Hertzfelt... https://youtu.be/W7JyjZI3LUM?t=139

Edit: Graaaah... Fire Immunity, Explosion Immunity, Electric. Not a single combo that gets to really take advantage of them. (I mean, sure, being able to stand on a bomb doesn't hurt, but it's not like having Torch+Gunpowder Arc+Bouncy Balls all over the place.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:59:37 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2019, 04:00:24 am »

No bees as such, but there is the chaotic projectile modifier. Put that on something cheap like a bubble spark and it'll fly around like a crazy thing.

And by rock, do you mean a kicking boulder or the rock allies summoned by the spell? Because the rock allies do blow up into freezing liquid, and both booms and sudden gas production tend to mess with liquids...

Speaking of which, I need to empty the lake. Gonna slap a water-to-poison mod on a dormant crystal and just chuck it in.

And huh, that's an interesting quirk with the torch passive... Shame the passives are so rare, you'd think a torch would be at least slightly common!

EDIT: Also a shame that stuff like toxic/fire/even poison isn't really that effective against enemies, considering the number of creative ways they can be applied...

EDIT 2: Note to self: Never, ever, ever use tentacle spells against the giant corpse flies. The tentacle grabs and pulls in every flame that they shoot out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2019, 06:36:34 am »

When I say rock, I mean the non-minion boulders. The ones you can pick up, kick, etc. The random start mod has one of its options start with an empty wand that has always cast summon rock, so you can basically poop out rocks for free, forever. It's remarkably brutal as an early general use weapon (also pretty amusing, since melee enemies tend to ram the things face first, killing themselves in the process), and you can do stuff like drop dozens of them into a lake of fire just to see what happens. Plus it seems to count as an accidental kill so you get all the monies forever. It's pretty great.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2019, 08:04:01 am »

When I say rock, I mean the non-minion boulders.
Ahh, I got confused because the exploding minion rock spell is also just called "summon rock", and I'm pretty sure the mundane rock spell wasn't even in the game ('cept for beta) before this latest update. Definitely sounds beefy, and a lot more usable than the standard 3 charges on the spell!

So my super-long run just ended properly now... It would appear that savescumming has some strange effects, such as the world going back to how it was when you killed the process, and your character going back to however it was when you last saved. This meant that I ended up losing a bunch of wands and perks, since they were taken from the world and put on my character when I scummed... Which also meant that my dreams of the moon or other secrets were dashed, and I had to settle for just pissing around in the lava lake and then taking a standard victory.

Speaking of which, there's a new modifer that's been implemented... "Slimy explosion", it makes the projectile it's attached to cause an explosion whenever it hits an enemy that's covered in slime. Pretty neat.

...however, I'd recommend against putting it on a homing slime mist and using it against the boss. The game doesn't seem to like that very much.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Endgame stats (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2019, 08:40:28 am »

Probably? There's a goodly amount of vids up on youtube, and last I noticed it's increasing fairly quickly (to little surprise, the game's pretty great and at least as fun to watch as it is to play). Check for winning recordings or whatev' for the generally better stuff. Full winning run can happen in like less than an hour, though, so if you're looking for long form LPs this probably isn't the game for it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2019, 09:24:14 am »

Plenty of streamers doing it, so yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20