Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Noita
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2019, 08:15:39 am »

Decided I'd recovered a bit from last time, could maybe try another Noita run... Check the beta patchlog, looks like they've implemented a system where you can reroll offered perks using gold (...okay, so that's a game-changer, but carries with it the risk of making runs even MORE drawn-out than before), new enemies, new spells, moved around secret areas and added some new ones (oh god... Well, there goes that map)... Same same.

Go through the mines, find a nice spammy bouncy wand, blast my way through, hit the first holy mountain, it's a wand shop, maybe they have something interesting? There's a fancy-looking one on sale for 90 gold, I'll go look at tha-...

...excuse me what the fuck?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...I couldn't. I just couldn't. That broke me. I got homing perk, a stacked nuke wand in the coal mines, second holy mountain offered melee immunity and vampirism, but I just... I couldn't. That damn wand.

Ended up basically throwing the run away because I couldn't get my head in the game after that absurdity. Committed a very entertaining suicide by launching a flaming nuke into a ravine, forgetting that it had homing, and watching it make a U-turn to swing back up and do three orbits of the jetpacker trying to tag me before it connected with his face. Ain't even mad.

EDIT: ...oh god, what have I done.

I just realized... I died holding the nuke wand.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2019, 10:19:45 pm »

One thing I like doing when tweaking the opening setup is using more wand passives and less custom slots; it allows for stronger initial wands at the trade-off of limited growth. (And, in a vague narrative sense, it's the wand that your guy's been using for years or something, so he's used to it, which justifies why it starts off a bit more powerful.)

And one thing I really like about wand passives-- you can use it to get infinite casts of limited-use spells. My Easter Basket 'wand' that spewed infinite eggs was fun to play with, albeit entirely OP.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2019, 03:13:05 am »

Lessons from death: if you happen to find an absolutely ridiculous wand that, say, has "always cast: volatile crystal" on it, remember that those projectiles are launched at the same time and in the same space as any other projectiles the wand is loaded with. Like, say, the five or so odd firebolts. Which will immediately connect with the crystal that just spawned, and detonate everything directly in your face.

*Sigh*... I even had homing perk on that run. Would've been amazing.

Anyways, in other news, the beta has some funky stuff in it. Perk rerolling is incredible, but also means that the game becomes even more optimally drawn out and also makes perk lottery even better than it already was.

But rather than take good perks this run, I picked weird and unknown ones! They've added a kicking perk, and then there's Plague Rats... Which... Oh god, this perk.

Basically, every enemy killed will spawn 1-2 friendly rats that then go around attacking enemies for a while before they vanish into wisps of magical energy.

They're actually pretty damn robust for being rats, but you see... The problem is, I'm using a wand of explosive necromancy. So the enemy dies, rats are spawned, the rats and the homing projectile both attack the necro spawn, it dies, more rats (and gold!) spawn, the rat horde finds a new victim, rats spawn... Yeah.

It's hilarious as hell, but definitely not an A-rank perk.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2019, 04:41:51 pm »

One potential problem with Plague Rats is that it seems to work on rats that have been dipped in chaotic polymorphine. If you reach a critical mass of rats, this essentially becomes a fork bomb, as the rats keep polymorphing, dying, and recursively releasing more rats. Rats fight the polymorphed creatures, keeping the reaction going, and eventually the sheer mass of the bodies will cause them to drown.
I was afraid the game would crash, so I ran away. I'm gonna make a copy of my savefile and see if I can get close enough to take a screenshot.

ED: It didn't crash! Fortunately, something seems to have polymorphed into a worm, which tunneled through the floor allowing the polymorphine to drain away.
I got a screenshot of the aftermath.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That big pile between the hole in the floor and the diamond dust is all dead bodies.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:57:28 pm by Soadreqm »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2019, 04:12:20 am »

New update came out, putting some of the beta features into the stable release. The changelog's kinda hard to read because most of the stuff on there is SEECRET SEKRITS, but there are some notable mentions:
  • Perk rerolling is now in stable, with all that that entails.
  • New spells and perks
  • Slime blood got improved, and now removes the speed penalty to being slimed
  • "Wands have a new secret ability" I don't even know what this means

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned much yet, but there's a new area designed to let you get back up to the surface from the bottom of the main dungeon. Entrance should be just off to the left of the temple of the art.

EDIT: Oh right, and there's a new "ending" of sorts... Bring the final piece of the work to the altar on top of the mountain, and just kinda jam it in there or something I dunno dude it's alchemy it don't gotta make sense.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2019, 08:05:59 am »

Huh. That sounds like instead of engoldening the temple or whatever, you're exposing the entire world/atmosphere to that massive burst of midas radiation. Gild the planet, I guess?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2019, 08:11:20 am »

Funny thing is; the one in the temple actually engoldens the whole world too. You're just generally not alive to see it.

But if your game happens to crash at that exact moment, you can load back into a world that's been completely blinged out...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2019, 08:12:53 pm »

The wand thing refers to an interaction between wands on the ground and certain potions.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »

I found the always-cast-matter-eater wand. I disrespected the gods. I became immune to lightning. I became able to cast a lightning bolt that flies farther and truer than the eye can see. I can breathe eight lightning bolts at once. I carved worm-tunnels through the snowy depths, the jungle, the holy mountain, and the caves. I defeated the fieriest of my brethren and drank the noble blood. I have cast off my shackles. I am worm.
One wheel short of a wagon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2019, 11:10:43 am »

Turns out always cast rock minion as a projectile modifier on a 9 cast wand is, uh.  Pretty good. Have to watch out for all the freezing vapor, but. Basically everything you point it at dies. Sometimes things you don't point at die, too. Infinite shotgun rock minion ftw.

Also, anyone know when gold started healing you? Has that always been a thing? This run I've been getting a point heal per nugget picked up, which is doing some serious sustain in conjunction with disabled gold despawn, and I don't know if that's always been a thing and I just didn't notice, or it's new, or if one of my mods is doing something odd.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2019, 11:27:39 am »

Wait, what? I haven't heard anything about that, and I'd be deeply surprised if the devs actually put that into the main game, but I do know that there are mods that do stuff like that...

Not at my machine right now so can't check right now, but I'll have to have a look and see if the mad bastards actually implemented that officially.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2019, 12:58:09 pm »

Gold sure isn't healing me (unmodded game).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2019, 01:01:13 pm »

I think there's a gold-heals perk, if you grabbed that or accidentally modded that into your loadout.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2019, 01:31:01 pm »

Has to be a mod, then. Don't have a gold heal perk that I can see. Not gonna' complain :P
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20