Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Noita
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2019, 09:38:39 am »

So I loaded that run back up again, got a bunch of bullshit, picked up electricity and vampirism which let me fully abuse the sheep spell, killed a couple lich guardians, did a bunch of fun wand mixing with edit anywhere, and was basically unstoppable.

Then one of the teleporty magic fuckers appeared next to me and shot me with a bolt. Jumped a few times, managed to get out of any particularly sticky situations, and then got teleported directly adjacent to one of those little purple floaters that move around slowly and don't really do anything.

I learned what they do today. If you're next to them, they hit you with a freezing spell and immobilize you. Then if you're still frozen when they slowly wander over on top of you, you die.

I had almost 200 health left. All gone. *Poof*.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:38 am »

The tentacle beak dudes? Yeah, they'll freeze your ass and then do horrible things to you. They're actually one of the things that will kill me through infinite health, so I suspect they're just flat out no-save insta-kill. Iirc melee immunity stops 'em pretty hard, though.

... well, maybe you're talking something else since those guys aren't particularly little. Any case, they can do the same freeze/pop-you-like-flimsy-balloon thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2019, 10:49:45 am »

... well, maybe you're talking something else since those guys aren't particularly little. Any case, they can do the same freeze/pop-you-like-flimsy-balloon thing.
Compared to a lot of other enemies, pikkuturso are definitely not huge... They've got their big brothers that move faster and can actually fire a tentacle at you, but the small ones just float around slowly. I guess the big turso have the freeze-and-chomp as well? Makes sense, I just never got that close to them before.

I am a bit sad though, had some nice spells and combos... Not to mention Edit Anywhere, Vampirism and a max health of 295.

I mean, shit, that run had survived a terrifying split-second when a random jetpacker finding a 4-cast wand stacked with holy bombs. Luckily, they apparently hate flying sheep, and there were quite a few of those buzzing around in the level after I decided I needed a blood bank... Took himself out in the blast, and I was just far enough away to not get obliterated.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:05 am »

Yeah, the bigguns have that, too. I never noticed the little ones had, mostly because they die pretty easy, so... none got close. Big ones have much more health, plus those tentacles can do the get-over-here thing, so I've ended up close to them pretty often.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2019, 02:06:23 pm »

For once an interesting tidbit that didn't end in a horrible death: Lava doesn't set off gunpowder. ._.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2019, 02:17:42 pm »

For once an interesting tidbit that didn't end in a horrible death: Lava doesn't set off gunpowder. ._.
Well... It can, but it's a bit fiddly with how it works. You can see this a lot with the fireflies in the coal mines, seeing as they bleed lava and there are suspicious mountains of gunpowder friggin' everywhere.

Also, unless it's been fixed, the gunpowder trail projectile modifier doesn't make real gunpowder... It makes a substance that just kinda burns up, but doesn't pop or explode at all. The gunpowder arc modifier, on the other hand, makes the real obscenely volatile substance we all know and love!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2019, 03:43:30 pm »

Double-posting out of sheer vanity!

Got my first win today! Which is also, naturally, my first time even getting past the vault. Perks were mostly just trash, except for when I decided on a whim that I'd grab Homing Projectiles instead of Edit Anywhere, and promptly won the game.

And as luck would have it, when you win, you win with three wands that would've been able to take out the boss on their own. Or, well, I don't actually know about the one, didn't get the chance to try it out... Final boss died within less than a second.

Word to the wise: Tentacle with the freezing modifier will apparently one-shot any enemy in the game. Freeze mod freezes enemies solid, tentacle apparently deals melee damage (and many many ticks of melee damage at that), melee damage against frozen enemies will shatter them or just deal hundreds of times as much damage as normal. So, yeah.

There was a ghost worm thingy in the temple that bugged out in the terrain and then launched itself at light speed out of the rock to pass halfway through me before the next frame. Very rude, luckily I had around 450 health by that point. I slapped him with the tentacle, he poofed, and the little red numbers told me I'd just dealt a couple instances of 1,426 damage. Or thereabouts. Everything I tried it on died in one hit, so I can only assume it's instagib.

...and that's not even the wand I used for most of the game! Nope, I used the good ol' "bunch of homing mists with some form of +damage modifier"! Shock mod is awesome, freeze mod can also be good but it tends to trap itself under a pile of snow... And as it turns out, stuff like impact mod or heavy projectile actually do work. Heavy mod is what I ended up getting, so 4 homing mists that each deal 44 points of untyped damage per tick. Except they don't actually, because a couple of the mists were whiskey mists and I'd put a fiery projectile mod on it, so they were clouds of fire that also had the "guaranteed crits on burning enemies" modifier, so they were four mists dealing 132 points of untyped damage per tick. Plus the fire. And the toxic mist. The fourth mist, slime, was actually very helpful in trapping enemies and preventing them from getting away from the now much-less-maneuverable heavy mists. These things also just pass right through shields, so I ended up killing a lich guardian offscreen before I actually knew what was happening.

The third wand with explosion of thunder barely even got used, unless there was some terrain I wanted to smash my way through. Also, as an aside, never ever use the standard lightning spell with the wiggly projectile modifier... It'll just fire out of the wand directly at a 45 degree angle and smash into the ground you're standing on. Again, thank goodness for 400hp...

Oh yeah, speaking of which; final boss was actually orb-buffed, since I picked up an orb early on for the extra max health. Wouldn't have known it though, he never actually got an attack off.

And just so nobody manages to push all the way through to the temple and then hit an unpleasant surprise; this game does in fact have mimics. Because of course it does.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2019, 05:38:01 pm »

Mimics, trapped chests, really the moral of the story is to just shoot all the chests open and make peace with however many that ends up ruining. It's for the better.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2019, 06:38:38 pm »

Mimics, trapped chests, really the moral of the story is to just shoot all the chests open and make peace with however many that ends up ruining. It's for the better.
Couldn't agree more...

In other news; for anyone who was wondering, nukes can actually crack the temple brickwork! It's not the explosion itself that does it however, the nuke just has a special effect that causes the terrain above the point of detonation to suffer an earthquake effect and crumble into chunks that then fall down and squish stuff.

Also, they're slightly affected by gravity, and bounce off of shields! Good to know!

And apparently guardian liches can get stuck inside of terrain so that just their feet are left sticking out and you can run inside their shield and kill them with scores of spark bolts!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2019, 12:43:48 am »

This is starting to feel like battle of the RNG...

Got a great rapidfire wand-- .07sec, .10sec, high mana, tight aim, and 7 slots.
Perks: (Low Gravity, Stainless, Oil Blood), (Boomerang Spells, Revenge Explosion, Trick Greed), (Saving Grace, Worm Attractor, Teleportitis)

Compare and contrast to a prior run, where I got Perk Lottery, Permanent Shield, and Homing Shots... and the only wand worth mentioning was one that had 7 sets of Black Hole on it. Which was enough to make it my primary weapon and I carved my way down pretty far.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:27 am »

This is starting to feel like battle of the RNG...
Welcome to Noita,.enjoy your stay! And the next one. And the next one. And the ne- ooh, that looked painful.

In other news, I am again mildly irritated by the game's opacity. Apparently there are systems in place where if you make it through to the portal without directly killing any enemies, a chest will spawn in the holy mountain! Pretty sure that means any "non-accident" kills, so you can probably get away with rushing the tablet and then just squishing things on your first run through the mines, and get a bonus goodie.

Also, the seemingly-completely-useless-and-even-harmful slime/oil blood perks? They've apparently got hidden side effects! Oil blood gives you a 40% explosion resistance! Slime gives 50% projectile resistance! There's fuckall indication of this in-game unless you know how much damage everything does all the time and happen to notice that the red numbers are anomalous!

Learned all that from the wiki. Blah.

Anyways, on today's episode of YASD: Melee indeed is an instant kill on frozen enemies, which means you can freeze something and then kick it for a quick death.

Managed to find a wand with circle of whatsit (the freezing one) and caught a couple dudes in it, including fire spirit/imp. After some fancy footwork (the kick hitbox is NOT easy to work with) I managed to shatter him with a swift boot to his shiny red arse. Gleefully, I hopped over to the other enemy and gave him a good kicking too!

It was one of those big green bags, the ones that don't have any attacks but bleed acid and explode into a bunch of little slimebags when killed. Apparently that still happens when they're frozen! Boom, poof!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2019, 08:55:20 am »

Dear diary,

Today I learned that kicking an angry bag full of acid what can explode into acid and smaller angry bags of acid was a bad idea.

Yours in death,
Kagus

Good to know minecart massacring your way through the first level can net you a free chest, though. I wonder if the holy mountain one can be a mimic...
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2019, 02:12:07 pm »

Got a... Fairly interesting run going on right now. Things were kinda humdrum to begin with, but then I got a lightning spell and the lightning modifier along with electric immunity, and I thought "okay, yeah, this can get me places".

And then things got crazy. The juncture before the Hiisi base had sea of acid for sale, which meant that with a bit of juggling I managed to crack the bottom open (and piss off the skeleton, who died to electric fury) and thereby bypass the "no editing anymore" trigger, so I had a base I could return to for the stripping and reconfiguring of wands.

And boy, what wands I found... Managed to find an always-homing wand that I slapped a lightning-modded death cross on for a poor man's game-ender, some more acid spells, and the black hole projectile... Along with a speed mod, which is enough to make a single black hole charge punch through the brickwork between the top of the holy mountain shop and the previous level. With that, I successfully connected the Hiisi base with the snowy caverns, thereby technically opening up a route all the way back up to the surface.

Now I've got a couple mist spells, the acid trail mod, and an overloaded wand that's configured to fire a blast of 8 double-range extra-blasty lightning bolts, and right before I saved the game (it's getting a bit late), I found a wand with a couple freeze mods on it... Which will go very nicely with the tentacle spell I found.

Other perks include personal shield and melee immunity (plus saving grace, which I guess is alright since I found a few healing spells), so I'm actually doing fairly well for myself. Still haven't got a proper be-all end-all wand (the ultra-lightning BFW is awesome alpha strike damage, but it has to be used EXTREMELY FUCKING CAREFULLY and it's got some serious recharge/recoil on it), but I'm pulling together all sorts of parts now so it shouldn't be long.

Got all sorts of utility wands though... Digging wand, mist+acid trail for reusable acid rain, healing, passage-making black hole (I'm curious to see how much ground I can cover by doubling up speed mod with the slithering mod, might be enough for a single charge to clear through an entire holy mountain).

Oh yeah, and I've passed by a couple lava-to-blood mods on the way down here. Maybe I'll make it down to Hell and see what that's like!

EDIT: So the game just crashed (luckily only losing a few hours of work, and not the whole run), and I have learned many things.

First off, for the love of all that is holy do NOT go into the desert chasm without a teleport or at least some form of digging/supersonic propulsion. Good grief that was a nightmare going down, and even worse coming back up again!

Second, Tentafreeze (freeze mod on tentacle) will indeed gib everything in the game except for certain bosses. It does appear to one-shot the dragon wyrm, but the secret spider boss took like 5-6 hits before going down. I then put together a teleport wand with both +speed and slithering, and the projectile does move slightly faster with both mods... Unfortunately, this appears to be just fast enough that if you hit the right angle, the projectile will travel too far offscreen and just despawn without teleporting you.

Third, with my new super-teleport in hand, I visited the sky. Tentafreeze kills the sky enemies in one hit, too. That includes the sky worms and the beef cubes with their ridiculous resilience.

Fourth, fuck clouds.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:14 pm »

Next time, add acid. Because everything is better with acid that melts everything and can evaporate into combustible gas. (Why no, I didn't kill myself that way yet, why do you ask? -_-)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20