Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves shouldn't panic from seeing a dangerous creature that can't reach them  (Read 3642 times)

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you have a monster stuck in a room with fortifications, dwarves freak out when they see the monster. They should be able to detect that there is no pathing possible for the monster to reach them.
Any monster with a ranged attack should be an exception, of course.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile

'WHY DO YOU MANIACS HAVE A DRAGON IN YOUR FORT?!!?!?!' Sounds like a reasonable reaction from the unsuspecting dwarf. ;)

I like the idea, but I think you should instead be able to tag monsters as safe in the military menu (obviously overridden by any actual attacks), this would require a bit of micromanaging, but would honestly be more realistic than all the dwarves just chilling because the colossus can't reach them but, still, good idea.
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

'WHY DO YOU MANIACS HAVE A DRAGON IN YOUR FORT?!!?!?!' Sounds like a reasonable reaction from the unsuspecting dwarf. ;)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the idea, but I think you should instead be able to tag monsters as safe in the military menu (obviously overridden by any actual attacks)

This does sound a lot better, to be honest.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or even better, make cowardly dwarves always scared of monsters, even if tagged as safe, and courageous ones never fear them.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile

Has possibility for a new social behavior, "Dare", wherein dwarven youths (and/or drunken adults) challenge each other to get close(r) to the angry beastie.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile

The dwarven equivalent would be to dare someone to get sober and, for once in their life, do something not completely stupid.

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile

The dwarven equivalent would be to dare someone to get sober and, for once in their life, do something not completely stupid.

I don't think that's scientifically possible...
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.