Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Body Spam Dwarf Fortress 44.12  (Read 2731 times)

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
Dead Body Spam Dwarf Fortress 44.12
« on: September 26, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »

Is it me, or are the thoughts about dead bodies excessive ? There seems to be no timer inbetween thoughts, and dorks seem to get multiple thoughts about the same dead body in a very short amount of time.

Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Body Spam Dwarf Fortress 44.12
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 04:21:37 pm »

FYI: Dork = Idiot. Dorf = Dwarf... (The latter does not exclude the former, though).

If it's the same body it's a bug. However, if a dorf passes by the refuse stockpile there can easily be parts of hundreds of dead animals in it, in particular if quantum stockpiling is used. It can also be noted that the "feel nothing" part means seeing the body didn't have any mental effect on the dorf, and so the report could have been filtered (unless they have a particular distaste for a kind of vermin, you don't get spammed by reports of seeing vermin, even though they're certainly viewed a lot, in particular if you've got animals that root around), but DF doesn't do that, for some reason.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:59:09 pm »

This spam is from wondering around in the underdark - a lot of the dead bodies are the dork's own kills .

My corpse stock piles are not viewable to anyone except the cleaning crews who bring in more bodies.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:28:09 pm »

I wish there was a way to mod out the negative thoughts from corpses completely. Now that I think about it, it makes me want to test having dwarfs have max discipline baseline. That way they can go crazy from all the other terrible things that will happen instead of my corpse pile.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:27:45 am »

I once did some science on this and according to it dorks will get repeated bad thoughts about once per week from seeing the same dead corpses. These thoughts come from each dead individual, so multiple parts from the same corpse will not give multiple bad thoughts.
This was in .40.something, though, so it might have changed.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

MarvinKitFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 02:39:55 am »

this just happened to me:
One happy fort. All dwarfs at zero or positive happyness. Some as happy as +90k (I have a lot of double-masterwork statues, engraved floors, masterwork meals in a legendary dining room, etc. etc.)

One kobold thief enters the map.
Militia commander (legendary axedwarf+5 !!) kill the thief, then returns to training his squad who are nowhere near the corpse.
10 minutes realtime later, squad is still training, and the commander freaks out.
Mood -26k. Cause: Horrified at seeing corpse (x167)
Commander goes berserk, goes to traders alley, kills my carpenter. Kills my mason. hacks my weaponsmith's arm off. **bites** my furnace operator's **back teeth** off. (triggering a flashback to Florida MAn on BAth Salts in me)

Why would a seasoned military commanded, +5 legendary axedwarf, with 41 kills under his belt, suddenly get utterly freaked out by seeing the dead body of the kobold he just killed? And not just get freaked out, but doing so 167 times in the time it takes him to walk out of sight of the corpse to go train his squad?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 04:35:22 am »

Yeah, I've had similar from the (lone) dead body of a werebeast that wandered onto the map and got taken out by my pet collection before the dorfs got there to deal with it. They get multiple hundred reactions to the corpse they find when they go to pet their pet baby turkey, and then collapse in the booze storage area whilst haggard with misery. Anything else that goes wrong (running out of food, getting covered in vomit, seeing a Forgotten Beast, running out of booze....) doesn't give 100+ reactions you can get from a dorf walking past a single corpse once. Seems like a bug to me.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 11:19:38 am »

We've not seen this particular Problem much, but We also destroy all Corpses within Reach as promptly as feasible.  Is it possible that destroying Corpses promotes dwarfen Mental Health?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 07:32:36 pm »

We've not seen this particular Problem much, but We also destroy all Corpses within Reach as promptly as feasible.  Is it possible that destroying Corpses promotes dwarfen Mental Health?
Yes, it is, but when one sighting can ruin their lives, and some dorf needs to see the corpse at least once, in order to move it to an appropriate place, it can be an issue. I find corpse hauling can take months to happen, sometimes, and by that time half the fort has walked past...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 07:36:09 pm »

What DF version did this happen on? Was this the first corpse of a sentient the axedwarf saw or killed? What else did the dwarf's thoughts page say?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 07:38:29 pm »

Yeah, this was a known bug in 44.12 - the rest (such as having your legendary axe dwarf turn 3 dwarves into 7 pieces), is just the downside of a stressed dwarf's breakdown. It doesn't seem to be present in 47.xx onwards, so, it may be time to update. My dwarves have been disturbingly immune to dead bodies since then.

Unless, MarvinKitFox, you got this in 47.xx - in which case it should be reported if it hasn't been already.

MarvinKitFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 04:20:31 am »

Yeah, this was a known bug in 44.12 - the rest (such as having your legendary axe dwarf turn 3 dwarves into 7 pieces), is just the downside of a stressed dwarf's breakdown. It doesn't seem to be present in 47.xx onwards, so, it may be time to update. My dwarves have been disturbingly immune to dead bodies since then.

Unless, MarvinKitFox, you got this in 47.xx - in which case it should be reported if it hasn't been already.

This is in 44.12
Unfortunately, that is the last version that is willing to run on 32-bit windows, so i'm stuck with it.

P.S.
I've now topped it.
Has a small goblin invasion,. Just 43 of them, dispatched easily. Just one injury, a crossbow bolt to the thigh of a Planter that wandered into the battlefield.
Then the cleanup.
I have one corpse-removal guy that's lost 73 thousand mood, due to carrying corpses to the corpse pile.
Apparently *every* body part, including blood splatters, triggers the "Dead body" moodlet.
*every* time he walks past them less than a certain distance (3 tiles?)
He's up to ore than 750 of that "seen dead body" debuffs. I might need to send him to polish the underside of the drawbridge soon.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 05:16:25 am by MarvinKitFox »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 06:08:03 am »

That was subsequently fixed 47.ish , averse reaction to bodyparts are impacted by how large and numerous they are in a area. 1 tooth doesnt impart the maximum amount of terror, with non-severe mood words like 'uneasy' being applied instead which is desirable because it still trains discipline and eventually gets phased out, which makes it ideal for putting in a public place so everyone sees & remembers it (once finished rotting), levels disipline, then surpasses it.

Though there is some still being clarified evidence that emotional attachment value to people being 0 removes thoughts regarding witnessing death (retroactively?), and assumedly the benchmarks going upward would effect the size of the corpse-part.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 06:24:37 am »

There is a 32-bit version of DF for Windows. It's right here.