Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stranger's Dwarven Science Thread  (Read 2279 times)

some_stranger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stranger's Dwarven Science Thread
« on: September 28, 2019, 06:20:42 am »

Hello everyone!  This is my first post here but I'm no stranger to the game.  I'm going to use this thread as a repository for Dwarven Science, aka "!!SCIENCE!!".

If you have suggestions for things to experiment with, let me know.  I'd like to keep it all in a single post and edit it, for easy reference.  Cheers.

==STRESS==

Taverns:

So I've been experimenting with stress and noticed that Taverns seem to be a great source of mood boost to idle dwarves.  I created a bunch of Dwarves with stress propensity of 50 and set them in a basic dingy tavern.  Within minutes they began performing, giving them "Urist was interested watching a performance".  That didn't seem like a great mood boost so I made a performer and set him to legendary everything.  Immediately I started getting a lot of "Delighted, Enjoyment, Blissful while watching/performing".  I noticed that Dwarves who dance with a legendary performer tend to get blissful moods more often then not as well, so just having a performer can 'bleed' positive thoughts to other dwarves as well!  How cool.

Additional Notes

• Performer Dwarves (job specific, set in the meeting hall menu) don't seem to use instruments, however this may be because my Dwarf is a legendary dancer.
     • The quality of the instrument seems to influence the quality of the performance as well, as noted by some performances that happened while I was making the other instrument being "Blissful".
     • A blissful dance with a legendary performer set one of my Dwarves moods from baseline (0) to -641.  Pretty impressive.  To contrast, a woodcutter went from 0 to -3 after an interesting performance.

Addendum: Unsurprisingly, having good instruments, and good performers make your taverns a better place to be.  Surprisingly, it can make a HUGE difference from interested to blissful.

Furniture:

Having nice doors, tables, traps, chairs, statues, all sorts of things are good for happy thoughts.  Some Urists are interested near a fine door, while others may be AMAZED at a MILD MELTINGLY IMPRESSIVE BEYOND REPROACH chair.  My theory is that value is the only factor when it comes to objects, and that Dwarves may ascertain higher value modifiers on objects made with a material they deem interesting via their personality.

So to test:  A simple oak door, vs a golden door adorned with diamonds and ivory.  A table at around 900 value compared to another table at around the same value, but this time made of something a dwarf likes.
"He personally has a deep dislike of the natural world after being caught in the rain in 125."

Bydth

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent RAW editor, adept farming manager.
    • View Profile
Re: Stranger's Dwarven Science Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 07:16:42 am »

Looks good. Here’s something you could maybe test: the way I set up my tavern and temples is to designate them all on top of one other, (and to have a temple for each god) so that everyone is drinking and praying on the same little square patch. Maybe you could see if this has any cumulative effects, like friendship development or simultaneous mood boosts from multiple sources?

Also: just a little thing, but “within minutes” isn’t very exact, depending on your FPS. That could have been 3 DF days zooming along at 100 FPS or 1/2 day oozing along at 13. (my normal play speed)

Take a look at:
 Accursed Farms, For old/weird/old&weird games and half-life machinima.
Broville v11: For being the most detailed Minecraft city ever.
Zero punctuation: For the roasting of one video game a week, with vulgarity, profanity, and hilarity.
Dwarf fortress: For- oh, oh, nevermind.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:42:44 am »

Regarding furniture, iirc it's been proven in old room value threads that preferred furniture doubles the value of the item (as does being covered by statue garden and owning it.)

@Bydth: In my experience, dwarves will always use the "lowest"/oldest applicable location zone at their tile (instead of seeking a new one), so unless some of these zones are checkermarked (or the logic changed since I tested in 43.03), you should be getting situations like only irreligious dwarves socializing when general temple is placed first.

(However, when testing a 25-30% area checkermarked temple/tavern otherwise, all needs have been consistently met when doing a multi-year "watching trees grow" test fortress.)

The cumulative relationship-building effects are going to be thus highly dependent on exact design, as idle dwarves will build one-way relationships with other dwarves busy adjacently.

Bydth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:52:20 am »

@Fleeting Frames

Interesting and slightly worrying. Until I get back to my computer, I can’t confirm anything, but I’m sure I designated the general temple first, then one for each indivual deity, each one over the entire area. I’ve seen multiple dwarves worshipping multiple gods, but I can’t remember if there’s a plain meeting area in there as well.  What I could do is set up some god-specific branch temples over in some disused out-of-the-way areas and see if anyone uses them instead of the closer stacked zones. Any more information would be appreciated, and I’ll update as soon as I can.
Take a look at:
Zero punctuation: For the roasting of one video game a week, with vulgarity, profanity, and hilarity.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 12:19:02 pm »

Well, I wouldn't expect more than some visitors interested in the individual temples out of that. Though I'm putting low odds on there being some bug I don't know about that might increase the "going to pray" rate in the arrangement, which would need testing (and formulation of reliable test proceedure).

(The other way around, with the general temple last, would of course be bad for anybody worshipping two or more deities.)

Bydth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 08:45:56 pm »

Okay, I checked my meeting area, and confirmed that the tavern had been put down last. I saw my own citizens telling stories (about my military re-re-re-forms), my mason was praying to Reg Healedvaults, and a couple of visitors were also praying to multiple gods. As far as I can tell, overlapping zones are valid.
Take a look at:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 07:52:29 am »

Were the ones telling stories more than casual/dubious worshippers of god(s)? Those in my experience always ignore temple zones.

Bydth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 06:09:54 pm »

I can’t remember, but I had a lot of irreligious dorfs in my fort.
Take a look at:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 10:46:18 pm »

Yeah, that's why I mentioned "lowest applicable zone". For hospital-temple not-meeting zones (to prevent dwarves from walking away in after completing a treatment step and to give quick prayer for the injured), I'm contemplating exluding irreligious dwarves from medical labours (and possibly lever puller ones too, if using those in same fashion).

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 06:39:29 am »

Bathing pools that double as temples are fun for de-stressing.  Especially if there's a waterfall involved pumping water in as it drains through a grate out.  If the amount of water starts at 4/7 then dwarves getting in and out of it will eventually decrease that down to 2/7 or 1/7, whereupon the temple  is temporarily forbidden for re-filling.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii