Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be the most powerful weapon-grade elven material?

Just wood with some tweak (blessed, runed, poisoned, etc)
- 0 (0%)
A special bone-made metal-like material
- 0 (0%)
Fancy glass
- 0 (0%)
A special native elven metal
- 0 (0%)
Standard vanilla metal, obtained in some magical/alchemical/hippie way
- 0 (0%)
Rough gems
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 30, 2019, 02:06:51 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [WIP] Elven Forest - !!RESTARTED!!  (Read 22118 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Elven Forest - Please share ideas and opinions
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 06:04:54 am »

I would like to suggest adding animal men to the elves civ or if not as proper civ members as something like the summonable treants that has been suggested before.

Personally I find it fitting that animal men would like to join a civ that doesn't hunt their animal counterparts for food and they* could also help bridge the power gap between the elves and the metalworking civs. It should also prevent any problems created by altering the animals to allow their use in labors.

*The stronger than average variants or those with special abilities like serpent men.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 06:54:22 am »

You think "opinion cant't be wrong", but I know - it can be bad.

I agree with the others that most of the time you are rude and not helpful. You are really discouraging to new modders and derail threads with what you believe to be "real DF lore". I honestly ignore most of your posts because they add nothing of value and I don't want to want to encourage negativity in this community. I don't think I have released, worked on or thought of a mod that you haven't insulted by saying "This is a bad mod and doesnt belong in DF."

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 07:16:31 am »

I would like to suggest adding animal men to the elves civ or if not as proper civ members as something like the summonable treants that has been suggested before.

Personally I find it fitting that animal men would like to join a civ that doesn't hunt their animal counterparts for food and they* could also help bridge the power gap between the elves and the metalworking civs. It should also prevent any problems created by altering the animals to allow their use in labors.

*The stronger than average variants or those with special abilities like serpent men.

Elf civs tend to gain animal men citizens in vanilla worldgen, as a civ valuing nature increases the likelihood of that happening, so this meshes really well. Meph has an "immigration office" workshop in one of his most recent mods, maybe some of the tricks he used there could be used to get animal men migrants for the elf civ.

DerMeister: I also think that your behavior is really bothersome. Lots of non-constructive criticism, now and then with a link to your own mods or mod ideas. If you don't like what's in a mod, then just don't download that mod. I wouldn't want to download your harpy mod idea with different reproduction systems/"Monogendered Humanoid Breeding", but I didn't go to your post about it and criticize it. Because even if I think it's not an interesting idea, I can tell that you would enjoy it, so you should be free to do that without being bashed for it. Do the same for the others, please.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 08:09:21 am »

Elf civs tend to gain animal men citizens in vanilla worldgen, as a civ valuing nature increases the likelihood of that happening, so this meshes really well. Meph has an "immigration office" workshop in one of his most recent mods, maybe some of the tricks he used there could be used to get animal men migrants for the elf civ.

DerMeister: I also think that your behavior is really bothersome. Lots of non-constructive criticism, now and then with a link to your own mods or mod ideas. If you don't like what's in a mod, then just don't download that mod. I wouldn't want to download your harpy mod idea with different reproduction systems/"Monogendered Humanoid Breeding", but I didn't go to your post about it and criticize it. Because even if I think it's not an interesting idea, I can tell that you would enjoy it, so you should be free to do that without being bashed for it. Do the same for the others, please.
All bad mod anounce make searching of good mods some harder.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2019, 10:03:00 am »

This mod is not bad.
There are many people here in this topic, and we want to play this mod, and help the creator of the mod. 
You are the only one who thinks it is bad, and you're not helping.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2019, 10:06:11 am »

This mod is not bad.
There are many people here in this topic, and we want to play this mod, and help the creator of the mod. 
You are the only one who thinks it is bad, and you're not helping.
You not read my posts.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2019, 10:22:38 am »

I read your posts. I disagree with them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2019, 01:05:26 pm »

Meph has an "immigration office" workshop in one of his most recent mods, maybe some of the tricks he used there could be used to get animal men migrants for the elf civ.

I already have a version online that allows "migration" of any animal men type. :) It's really just a dfhack trick to spawn them directly at the workshop and add them to your fort. Not true migration, but it works.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2019, 01:14:14 pm »

I already have a version online that allows "migration" of any animal men type. :) It's really just a dfhack trick to spawn them directly at the workshop and add them to your fort. Not true migration, but it works.

Oh, I might be stepping on the toes of OP here, but would it be possible for this to be tweaked to use a live animal as a "reagent"? Lead a fox in (like when you slaughter livestock with dwarves), and a fox-person comes out?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2019, 01:29:58 pm »

Yes and no.

Not with the current setup, it would have to be a different mod using dfhack to run make-own, true-transform and different modtools lines to target a nearby animal instead of the worker. The animal would have to be pastured near the workshop and couldn't be used as reagent (like in the butcher, that's sadly hardcoded)

I wanted to write something like that years ago, to allow the mutation of insects into giant insect warbeasts etc, proved a bit tricky with vermin.

The rest works though and already exists, partly in Masterwork DF, partly in Boltguns Succubus mod.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2019, 06:45:14 pm »

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator.  A lot of fiction sounds computer generated anyway.
You not understand DF lore.
That "lore" you hold in such high regard is just a placeholder until it can be procedurally generated. If you think DF is always going to be a low magic, no spells fantasy universe with cannibal elves and demonic goblins then you don't understand what the point of the project even is.

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2019, 08:53:35 pm »

Wow, so many replies! That's something nice to see.

Before answering, I would like to show the following stuff I've (almost) implemented:
Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nobles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Elven Pets (click to show/hide)

Now let's start with the answers :)

I think adding pixies and fairies somehow would be cool. Not sure how to incorporate it though. Also shapeshifting into animals and using nature spells (like grasping vines, briarthorn wall, etc.) would be fun if you can get it to work well.

Pixies and Fairies for fairy dust, maybe. Nature Spells are a good idea, but I would like to add a fort-level druidism system before any other form of magic.

Have you seen http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143563.0 or http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160610.0 ?

The ideas at the time were a mix of DF elves; irish/british folklore with elven courts; LotR/Warhammer high elves; and ent/plant loving sylvan/wood elves.

Wow, those posts have good ideas indeed. I like a lot the workshops you made, and (if you let me) I would like to add some of them to the mod.

A seasonal workshop like the Seelie Court could be possible using a script like outside-only but adapted to change the subtype of the building when it's certain season instead of destroying it... I guess.

I don't know if this is possible in Dwarf Fortress as it stands now, but plant-based traps.

Instead of building mechanical traps, Elves would plant them. Require a seed, and an amount of time before the trap becomes mature. Some of these could be based off of carnivorous plants (sticky traps like Drosera, snap traps like Dionaea muscipula, or pit-fall traps like Nepenthes, Sarracenia, etc.)

Also, what about poisons? A wooden spear might not be the greatest weapon, but if it could be poisoned for use against biologicals?

Plant-based traps? I think it could be done using special plants and a reaction to trigger the attack (something like a song of the spellsinger to start a fire in any Sunfire Bush on the map).
Though I don't actually know how an AoE attack would work, but I hope that it isn't something impossible to do.

Using venoms is a good idea, but I don't want to add that in the kobold way (extracting the poison from venomous critters). I would like to add some poisonous plants for the elves, to produce both regular poisons and special ones like Gnomeblight but for other specific races.

Calling animal people from the wilds (selecting an actual animal person that's traveling through your map) or summoning it is very easy. I can make it appear in the border of the map, showing an announcement and simulating being an actual migrant.

I would like to subordinate all that to the Druidic Score, maybe using a persistent table with DFHack. The animal people should don't like to live in a place populated by guys that are enemies of the local fauna... maybe.

Quick Question 3: Should elves have new castes related with nature (like Taiga Elves, Jungle Elves, Mountain Elves, etc)?

Oh, I might be stepping on the toes of OP here, but would it be possible for this to be tweaked to use a live animal as a "reagent"? Lead a fox in (like when you slaughter livestock with dwarves), and a fox-person comes out?
Yes and no.

Not with the current setup, it would have to be a different mod using dfhack to run make-own, true-transform and different modtools lines to target a nearby animal instead of the worker. The animal would have to be pastured near the workshop and couldn't be used as reagent (like in the butcher, that's sadly hardcoded)

I wanted to write something like that years ago, to allow the mutation of insects into giant insect warbeasts etc, proved a bit tricky with vermin.

The rest works though and already exists, partly in Masterwork DF, partly in Boltguns Succubus mod.

As Meph says, animal reagents doesn't work (even when the game recognises PET and VERMIN as valid item tokens). I could use DFHack to target nearby animals, in a similar way like how Boltgun allows the player to corrupt nearby units in the Succubus Mod, but transforming animals into animal people isn't something I would like to see in the mod.
I would prefer to boost the actual animals with some tweaks like giving them new interactions or upgrading their stats.

(Maybe I must ask this in another post, but if someone knows how, can vanilla reactions like the ones of the butcher's shop or the glass furnace be added to a custom workshop?)

Quick Question 4: Should elves use Peat as fuel, or they must use some alchemy-related version of vegetable oil?

I'm sorry if someone finds any error in my writing. I'm not a native english speaker, and I'll be glad to fix any error you notice in my texts.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :D
I was very busy this last week (well, I'm busy very often sadly) but I think that this mod will be ready to be played before October ends.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2019, 11:59:46 pm »

Wow, those posts have good ideas indeed. I like a lot the workshops you made, and (if you let me) I would like to add some of them to the mod.
In theory sure, but those are just concepts. Not like I finished writing the workshop/reactions for all of those. They are quite old too.

(Maybe I must ask this in another post, but if someone knows how, can vanilla reactions like the ones of the butcher's shop or the glass furnace be added to a custom workshop?)
Nope.

I know I've taken a short break from my Warlock mod, but after that I wanted to make equal human, goblin, elf, kobold mods. I feel a bit silly about it though, seeing this pop up, as well as brolols humans. It seems a bit superflous to make copies of mods that kinda already exist. Though I probably go overboard once more and add a lot. ^^

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2019, 06:20:44 am »

I know I've taken a short break from my Warlock mod, but after that I wanted to make equal human, goblin, elf, kobold mods. I feel a bit silly about it though, seeing this pop up, as well as brolols humans. It seems a bit superflous to make copies of mods that kinda already exist. Though I probably go overboard once more and add a lot. ^^

There is nothing wrong with making your own versions of the vanilla races even if they have already been done. If you make a human or goblin mod, feel free to use any of my raws. :)

stroppycarpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2019, 09:47:39 am »

I could not disagree with DerMeister's opinions more. Mods are supposed to lean on the original game and add their own depth and flavor and sub-mechanics, feedback loops or items that are not found in the vanilla game. The reason for this is because the vanilla elves are not designed from the standpoint of being able to be played. They are entities to be traded with or fought.

I really like the idea of amber and it reminds me of styx:master of shadows. You can look up concept art or a letsplay from that game for inspiration. In that game it's a magical potion that takes a large industrialized/alchemical effort to be produced and both humans and elves want to produce it by exploiting the land with no regard for the natural world around them. It fuels your magical abilities and is addictive (I'm going off memory here it's been a while since I played).

Thinking of amber as a potion, and of the druid aesthetic in general also gives me vibes of asterix and obelix and their characteristic potions.

In terms of amber making amberglass weapons, it sounds really fun. Though it would be nice to have alternate uses for this material other than making things. For example, amber could be used in the making of a beverage that when drunk gives a temporary syndrome of a slight +10% speed. I wouldn't make it give you amazing combat properties for a short while though (like asterix and obelix) because it would encourage hoarding the amber for a future siege that might never come and thus you end up never using it. Or perhaps the elves need amber-infused drinks to get through the working day (basically just relabelling alcohol to amber)

One pitfall that I'd reccomend not falling into is making the amber industry a major source of easy high value traded goods. If you end up adding cool interesting things to do with amber, but instead I could also just turn it into cut gems and trade it, I'll just forego all the other options to turn it into cut gems. Elves should instead trade caged animals (like in vanilla). This also feeds into the theme of dis-incentivizing slaughtering of animals. Lastly, make sure the main reason for slaughtering animals is lessened. In my case, I slaughter them for leather armor before I set up my metalworks, so being able to create 'amber hardened plant fiber' or something that can be turned into any item that leather can be used for, will be a boon.

I'm concerned about wooden objects only being able to be made during the spring. Certain plants do grow during the winter, you know? Maybe this can be alleviated by adding in different types of wood? One of the fun things of DF is that you can make any object out of any metal, but certain metals (silver) are better for certain objects (hammers). So maybe in the fall you could plant a different type of wooden finished good seed that becomes a material with different properties? Like a different density? Different grow speed and base value?

Lastly, is it possible to change the average personality traits for races? Like make them more likely to value Nature? This would make them receive unhappy thoughts when butchering which seems to be one of the goals.
see: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Personality_trait#Beliefs

What about increasing the chance that they like (multiple) random animal over a random metal?
see: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Preferences
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8