Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be the most powerful weapon-grade elven material?

Just wood with some tweak (blessed, runed, poisoned, etc)
- 0 (0%)
A special bone-made metal-like material
- 0 (0%)
Fancy glass
- 0 (0%)
A special native elven metal
- 0 (0%)
Standard vanilla metal, obtained in some magical/alchemical/hippie way
- 0 (0%)
Rough gems
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 30, 2019, 02:06:51 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: [WIP] Elven Forest - !!RESTARTED!!  (Read 22147 times)

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Elven Forest - !!RESTARTED!!
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2020, 06:46:30 am »

By the way, can pointed-eared comrades pray to their forces like dwarves in dwarven temples? I know that in adventure mode, elves cannot communicate normally with their own forces of nature and can suffer from this. Will there be such a problem in the forest retreat mode?

After a short testing, religion seems to be working without any problems.

(Ignore the skills, I just selected Play Now)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Elven Forest - Please share ideas and opinions
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:52 pm »

Digging Zone - Collects soil from the floor. Uses any skill.
Is there a reason this doesn't use the Mining skill? Even if it isn't 100% appropriate, it's pretty close, and it gives the player a way of control which elves do this.

Salt Deposit - Extract salt from rock salt. Salt is used as glaze material.
How likely is it to encounter rock salt without the ability to mine?

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2020, 11:28:42 pm »

Digging Zone - Collects soil from the floor. Uses any skill.
Is there a reason this doesn't use the Mining skill? Even if it isn't 100% appropriate, it's pretty close, and it gives the player a way of control which elves do this.

If elves have the Mining labor enabled, then they'll be able to dig if you manage to obtain a foreing pick from raids or from dwarven/human/goblin visitors.
You can still control which elves do the soil collection using the manager.

Salt Deposit - Extract salt from rock salt. Salt is used as glaze material.
How likely is it to encounter rock salt without the ability to mine?

The Salt Deposit is... a bit cheaty. If your map has a rock salt layer, it'll produce infinite amounts of salt as long as you have empty bags.
It was the first idea I had to allow elves to collect salt. I know better methods to add salt production without breaking the game's logic, so the deposit will definitely be replaced with some other thing in the future. Maybe I could add salt-producing trees?
At the moment, I've another less-cheaty way to obtain this valuable material: Alchemy. You can transmutate metallic salts into regular salts at the Athanor.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2020, 01:02:51 am »

It's a hard problem, and I ran into it a lot when I was working on my own mod. It's hard to make things feel rare in the way that metals feel rare for dwarves in the base game. Because nearly everything else is an infinitely renewable resource, so the only thing other than rare you can do, is to make something tedious. Like clear glass, which is a pain in the ass to make because of all the steps, but actually unlimited.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2020, 04:29:04 pm »

Why Shaping Tree products' materials are dependent by season, but not by tree type? I suggest this, if possible, 'cause look more like vanilla elves. But if this impossible or too hard, I understand. What's about elves breeding with satyrs?

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2020, 07:52:39 pm »

Why Shaping Tree products' materials are dependent by season, but not by tree type?

Shaping Trees are just big oaks with another name in my mod.
I could make the Shaping Tree to randomly choose a material from the local tree populations (as intended when I started the mod), but I dunno; adding season-specific wood is a bit better for gameplay-related purposes (soft wood on Spring, hard wood in Autumn). I could add both things tho; the Shaping Tree can grow wooden items with their material chosen from the local tree populations, and you can transmute the wood into different types at the Alchemist's Workshop or the Druid's Garden.

What's about elves breeding with satyrs?

You're thinking about R A P E? It's sick... but can be done. Satyrs are cooler and better than your average, weak and hornless elf.
I always liked half-breeds from Dungeons & Dragons :)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2020, 03:36:55 am »

Why Shaping Tree products' materials are dependent by season, but not by tree type?

Shaping Trees are just big oaks with another name in my mod.
I could make the Shaping Tree to randomly choose a material from the local tree populations (as intended when I started the mod), but I dunno; adding season-specific wood is a bit better for gameplay-related purposes (soft wood on Spring, hard wood in Autumn). I could add both things tho; the Shaping Tree can grow wooden items with their material chosen from the local tree populations, and you can transmute the wood into different types at the Alchemist's Workshop or the Druid's Garden.

What's about elves breeding with satyrs?

You're thinking about R A P E? It's sick... but can be done. Satyrs are cooler and better than your average, weak and hornless elf.
I always liked half-breeds from Dungeons & Dragons :)
Randomly choose from local trees population - sounds better. So, I fully agree with you 'both' variant, because player may need wood with specific properties.

No, not rape, only if you really want it to mod or can't code this in different way. What do you know about Veela from Harry Potter books? I suggest make satyrs like them, but male (in real myths satyrs breed by nymphs). Or good version of vanilla night trolls - satyrs do not kidnap and transform your elves, but elven females may get pregnant and give birth of satyrs. And this satyrs will grow into good horned citizens. (if talk about rape, foul blendecs more suited for this, but they are from evil surroundings, when elves live in good and neutral, but if even dwarves could embark everywhere...)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2020, 06:53:02 pm »

The Salt Deposit is... a bit cheaty. If your map has a rock salt layer, it'll produce infinite amounts of salt as long as you have empty bags.
It was the first idea I had to allow elves to collect salt. I know better methods to add salt production without breaking the game's logic, so the deposit will definitely be replaced with some other thing in the future. Maybe I could add salt-producing trees?
At the moment, I've another less-cheaty way to obtain this valuable material: Alchemy. You can transmutate metallic salts into regular salts at the Athanor.

Hehe. I would have suggested they collect the salt from tears, after having a bit of a wail about the destruction of nature as a workshop job.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2020, 02:21:29 am »

Hehe. I would have suggested they collect the salt from tears, after having a bit of a wail about the destruction of nature as a workshop job.
Why not? I like adding more creature tweaking. Also I suggest workshop for hatching eggs (from animal people or just bought from caravans).

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »

So, where is new downloadable version of this mod?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2020, 08:27:55 am »

By the way, can pointed-eared comrades pray to their forces like dwarves in dwarven temples? I know that in adventure mode, elves cannot communicate normally with their own forces of nature and can suffer from this. Will there be such a problem in the forest retreat mode?

After a short testing, religion seems to be working without any problems.

(Ignore the skills, I just selected Play Now)
Why you don;t upload your test about shaping trees?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2020, 09:55:05 am »

(Updated to 7/6/2020):

No need to pressure them over it @Iä! RIAKTOR! , im sure they're still chugging away at it. And as it stands the list is substantially impressive just as is. I look forward to seeing what is eventually made even if it takes a couple of DF game versions to get there.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2020, 11:44:22 am »

If it helps, there's also this script i recently unearthed that should going by the description on the tin allow grown objects to be produced by elven workshops which are valid for trading, compared to 'native' workshops which do things in a non-ecological way. I've also posted this to rekov's mod.

On the DF discord through here:
< https://discord.com/channels/102738113478021120/173908541088858113/793081972762476584 >
with a pernament invite link to the DF discord here if needed; doing it this way because its much more convenient than uploading it arbitarily to the DFFD if its not exactly new (i found it inside a larger scale modification)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2020, 11:51:54 am »

If it helps, there's also this script i recently unearthed that should going by the description on the tin allow grown objects to be produced by elven workshops which are valid for trading, compared to 'native' workshops which do things in a non-ecological way. I've also posted this to rekov's mod.

On the DF discord through here:
< https://discord.com/channels/102738113478021120/173908541088858113/793081972762476584 >
with a pernament invite link to the DF discord here if needed; doing it this way because its much more convenient than uploading it arbitarily to the DFFD if its not exactly new (i found it inside a larger scale modification)
Post scripts on forum, I have no discord.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2020, 12:09:58 pm »

If you would insist, though discord is a better place for discussing things more indepth.

Not that i personally know how to apply dfhack scripts in this way.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8