Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Game Finished! Mutual Flagellatio Victorious!  (Read 39415 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Replacement Found for Murder Mountain
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2020, 10:39:36 am »

Damn, really? And after I gave them my gems and remaining magic items, too  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2020, 10:46:55 am »

Phaeacia managed to kill my army conquering the throne of death, so props to Endymion. For a while I thought my fire storm would win the day. Maybe if the starving knights did not rout as quickly.
That expedition was part of a redundancy plan, though - I only needed to survive MCreeper's assault and keep one of the two new thrones. Again, Endymion was the only one who tried to do anything at the other one (despite Ashdod having an army next to it). That 170-hp statue killing itself with one earthquake was the only real use I got of the blood vengeance bless, btw.

Luck on mass-produced low-HP sacreds is OP, imo. Pretty much negates 3/4 of all attacks, natural or magical, including spells. This staying power synergises well with something like heat aura, since the longer it takes to kill such sacreds, the harder it is to hit them.
For example, Ti'en Ch'i's red guards, despite stats and numbers comparable to my knights, were completely outmatched.

This bless also resulted in me having a few 100+ exp flagellants with a good few melee kills behind their belts. At least one of them had no afflictions to boot, which is a total travesty in my eyes.

Thanks for playing everybody.
It was a strangely passive game, for the most part, to be sure. But at least we all (except poor Caelum) had some fun with uninterrupted empire-building.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:36 am »

GGs ya'll.

I'm happy I was able to block one of the thrones at the end, although the communion self destructed a bit more than I had planned on it doing, and the newly GoRed Ladon didn't get enough action to make me happy. 

As for my attempt to block the other throne... I have no regrets about the learning opportunity. Protip for all of you who didn't see it: casting earthquake in a province with ~150 blood vengeance units is one hell of a way to suicide a pretender statue. 18 MR doesn't beat the BV's 12 enough for that. Heck, it probably wouldn't have even worked with the 22 MR I could have given it with an antimagic amulet. It had been a choice between giving the amulet to the pretender statue or Ladon, and giving the copper arm and sword to the other one. As much comedy as I thought it would be to strap an arm to the side of one of a three-headed dragon's necks would be, it was more in my mind that Ladon would need MR and reinvig, so alas I had to go with the far less comedic statue with an arm bolted to it.

MCreeper, it was a pleasure to trade blows with you. I very much was down to my death throes by the end there: I was able to keep an army or two together to defend, but at a cost of the nation as a whole was falling apart, gem reserves were fully tapped, research was grinding to a halt, etc. By the way, was the disease spreading in a couple of my provinces due to you? I know I found one group of independent demons spreading disease on one of my forts (which they proceeded to siege for several turns). The other diseasing province I did patrol with an army and didn't find anything.

Happerry, a pleasure as well with the back and forth. The thug harassment you started near the end was the right call. Also your in-army thugs with the shadow brands were scary enough to keep my big guys worried, but not my armies, so perhaps they should have been roaming random provinces trying to catch my raids. As for your armies: starvation is -4 morale and it played a big role in our big battles. Managing those supply items is important for armies like that.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2020, 10:55:04 am »

18 MR doesn't beat the BV's 12 enough for that.
You only had 15 from the hostile dominion, though.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2020, 12:12:21 pm »

By the way, was the disease spreading in a couple of my provinces due to you? I know I found one group of independent demons spreading disease on one of my forts (which they proceeded to siege for several turns). The other diseasing province I did patrol with an army and didn't find anything.
Didn't even thought about it.

When\in which era we do next round, if in foreseable future?
Phaeacia managed to kill my army conquering the throne of death, so props to Endymion. For a while I thought my fire storm would win the day. Maybe if the starving knights did not rout as quickly.
I wonder how he did.  :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2020, 06:28:27 pm »

Yeah, I apologize for that. I'm a cautious bastard at the best of times and I haven't been as good as I was feeling when I started the game. Long story short I spent the last half of the game over preparing and over analyzing everything when I probably should have be wading in bashing heads open. Sorry for being such a poor host and passive player but at the very least I like to think that I've learned something. At the very least it'll be a long time before I try another multiplayer game.

Thanks for playing everyone. Even if it wasn't the most active game it was still good to run another Bay12 one.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2020, 04:29:14 am »

Happerry, a pleasure as well with the back and forth. The thug harassment you started near the end was the right call. Also your in-army thugs with the shadow brands were scary enough to keep my big guys worried, but not my armies, so perhaps they should have been roaming random provinces trying to catch my raids. As for your armies: starvation is -4 morale and it played a big role in our big battles. Managing those supply items is important for armies like that.
Thanks for the advice. ^_^

I'm not really sure why I didn't do the supply item thing now that you mention it... beyond it just never coming to mind for some strange reason. A learning experience I guess? Well, enough learning experiences and someday I'll actually be good at this game.

By the way, was the disease spreading in a couple of my provinces due to you?
One of the provinces was me, I dropped a Harvester of Sorrows in on one of yours and left it there for a good few turns, never really followed it up admittedly. Plague is nasty but it's hard for me to judge how well it's working...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:33:48 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 Round 04 - Game Finished! Mutual Flagellatio Victorious!
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2020, 07:38:21 am »

Still shit at this game (at least in dom4 you could cheese with who goes first in combat) but if anyone pms me when the next one starts, I am in.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]