Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29

Author Topic: Space Cowboys for Hire [Month 7] (New Blood Welcome)  (Read 39126 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Space Cowboys for Hire (A PvE AR-like) [Turn 4]
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2020, 06:02:33 pm »

We'll probably need to put any tactical ability we have into the assault and recovery missions we're planning.

Also, keep in mind that we need 500k to make the next ship, and we only have 221k so far. This may be month 4/9 here, but I bet we'll have at least one more month go bad down the line, so we want to be real careful about our money. 30-50k is a lot of money -- eating up 2-3 of the kinds of contracts we've been getting so far -- and on top of gear investments this turn, we'd be putting ourselves down to 150-70k, which would be pretty damn rough to make up.

What is the point of making rent if we don't have a velocoraptor?
Ressurecting extinct creatures is likely expensive, carnivores will be more difficult to feed than herbivores, birds are dinosaurs, if you want a dinosaur, let;s go with a small herbivorous bird

1. Why would plant eaters be more difficult to feed in space
2. What function could a small bird serve a space mercenary
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2020, 06:28:03 pm »

We'll probably need to put any tactical ability we have into the assault and recovery missions we're planning.

Also, keep in mind that we need 500k to make the next ship, and we only have 221k so far. This may be month 4/9 here, but I bet we'll have at least one more month go bad down the line, so we want to be real careful about our money. 30-50k is a lot of money -- eating up 2-3 of the kinds of contracts we've been getting so far -- and on top of gear investments this turn, we'd be putting ourselves down to 150-70k, which would be pretty damn rough to make up.

Ressurecting extinct creatures is likely expensive, carnivores will be more difficult to feed than herbivores, birds are dinosaurs, if you want a dinosaur, let;s go with a small herbivorous bird

Nah I feel like their is too much of a hard-on going for the turkey-sized raptor, if it was a Deinonychus-like creature than sure it would be worth more for it than the price tag, but something the size would only resort it to a creature that would essentially work at best a mascot for our team as something to hopefully improve our brand image, something that that has a undefined risk and reward but we certainly know the risk of the base cost just to hold which is too much in our cash reserves, we should really only doing necessities with our expenses until we reach enough for rent, and than you can responsibly choose these more meme choice.

As for getting a parakeet, while wholly unnecessary there is thing that getting a Velociraptor is ironic with the line of “What function could a small bird serve a space mercenary”, we’re hoping that this creature that is smaller than most MWDs is exactly receptive to training as one of them, the same responsiveness to commands and instructions, and have the same obedience and domestication level to not cause a lawsuit waiting to happen, especially for instance on the field, which nearly just happened with Redbrick. Too many plausible cons results in me this just being the “meme” choice, especially with how expensive it is house the damn thing.

Also
there's no way in hell greywater won't snap up all the military contracts
What exactly is this suppose to mean?, you expect the PMC to try and counter our Contacts List?, I don’t think that would happen...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2020, 07:00:00 pm »

I agree that an animal isn’t necessary, I was trying to say that plants are easier to care for, therefore an animal that eats plants would be easier to support than an animal that eats meat

Do not purchase animals yet, let’s save as much money as we can for rents while still getting something useful

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Cowboys for Hire (A PvE AR-like) [Turn 1]
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2020, 07:53:29 pm »

Also
What exactly is this suppose to mean?, you expect the PMC to try and counter our Contacts List?, I don’t think that would happen...
As this quote shows, that is exactly what would happen. Greywater has the same contact list as us and a hard-on for top-dollar type milsec jobs, and a much better track record when it comes to combat. That's why I chose jobs that were either more likely to rely on investigation or were too small-scale for greywater to bother with.
*ring* *ring*
"Mrs. Ocean?  Sam Goldman."
"Good to hear from you Sam, I have some questions."
"I figured you might.  Fire away."
"Now I know my husband could get morally flexible at times, but why even entertain criminal stuff when there's so many other choices?"
"Well something to keep in mind is that other PMC's are in the same sandbox.  It's not as bad as it was back in the day, but Greywater is always out there somewhere.  Luckily Nick Clay has a very predictable business model.  In terms of contract bids, he prefers big corporate money, and failing that, lower paying political and law enforcement work."
"So we're supposed to be playing in the gutter?"
"Yes and no.  It turns out that they only lost half their PMC on Paramour.  They undoubtedly have a full armory as well.  Hopefully they'll stick to Rivendell this month, as objectively they have more to offer to a client than us.  Furthermore, another lethal confrontation with them could be the end of us."
"So why don't we just coordinate with Greywater?"
"Well Mrs. Ocean, as your lawyer, I must advise you against that.  We would be sharing confidential client information, as well as confessing to upcoming crimes.  Neil has the guys mask up on the more dubious contracts, and unless we talk about it, nobody can prove a thing.  All subpoenas go straight to the circular file."
"So that's why Danny and me never go planet-side?"
"Yes, myself and Neil as well.  Even before Paramour we all were wanted for questioning in every system.  The perfect crime doesn't generate suspicion, but that doesn't always work out as planned."
"I never wanted to see those shitty planets anyways."
"That's the idea Mrs. Ocean."
"Also, criminals are surprisingly easy clients to work with.  Corporations have high expectations, love to dock pay over minor things, and tend to publicize everything.  Criminals will typically accept anything that works and are secretive by necessity."
"What about the other organizations?"
"They're mostly poor but usually desperate.  They also usually don't have the organic operators many of the other clients have, so the work they offer tends to be very different.  Some are more politically radical than others."
"I'll keep that in mind Sam.  Thanks."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2020, 07:55:41 pm »

I agree that an animal isn’t necessary, I was trying to say that plants are easier to care for, therefore an animal that eats plants would be easier to support than an animal that eats meat

Do not purchase animals yet, let’s save as much money as we can for rents while still getting something useful

That isn't true at all? Especially since we have planets with life on them. There isn't any reason kibble should be more expensive than pellets. Even if we are talking in an overall economic sense, the planets we are currently over are known for their ranchers.

That is like saying it would be easier to keep a cow than a dog, because cows eat grass while dogs eat meat. We can just get the little dude some dog food.

Nah I feel like their is too much of a hard-on going for the turkey-sized raptor, if it was a Deinonychus-like creature than sure it would be worth more for it than the price tag, but something the size would only resort it to a creature that would essentially work at best a mascot for our team as something to hopefully improve our brand image, something that that has a undefined risk and reward but we certainly know the risk of the base cost just to hold which is too much in our cash reserves, we should really only doing necessities with our expenses until we reach enough for rent, and than you can responsibly choose these more meme choice.

As for getting a parakeet, while wholly unnecessary there is thing that getting a Velociraptor is ironic with the line of “What function could a small bird serve a space mercenary”, we’re hoping that this creature that is smaller than most MWDs is exactly receptive to training as one of them, the same responsiveness to commands and instructions, and have the same obedience and domestication level to not cause a lawsuit waiting to happen, especially for instance on the field, which nearly just happened with Redbrick. Too many plausible cons results in me this just being the “meme” choice, especially with how expensive it is house the damn thing.

Also

There are plenty of jobs even an untrained velocoraptor can do that a dog can't. Just a few examples: Need a detraction? "Hey guys check out my dinosaur". Need to scare a prisoner or target into surrendering? "You have 30 seconds to comply. Then I'm releasing the velocoraptors. No point in talking further after that." Need to get into a location that doesn't allow weapons? "This is my emotional support velocoraptor here is his paperwork"

If you can't find a use for velocoraptors you arn't trying hard enough
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2020, 02:11:15 am »

Just ceding heavy combat missions over to Greywater entirely seems like a way to kneecap ourselves in the longterm -- we have absolutely no guarantee that we're going to be able to eke out a predictable and stable division of labor, and if we don't build experience with these sorts of missions, we're probably going to be in deep shit when the time comes that we HAVE to compete for them. They're also quite likely the higher-paying jobs, so avoiding them entirely is going to put a strain on our budget. Now, we can't afford to throw ourselves head-long into them every month, but I feel we should make a point of taking a few during each trip.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2020, 06:00:50 am »

Quote from: Contacts Vote (pick 5)
(0) Lossarnach Country Club:
(1) Potter Properties: Sam
(1) Anghabar Mining and Refining: Stirk
(0) Tyrell Dynamics:  **UNAVAILABLE**
(6) Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, Stirk, m1895, King Zultan
(5) Anghabar Mining and Refining CI FP: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan
(0) Los Tornadoes:
(0) Swearengen's Gentlemen's Club:
(0) Slavic Vor:
(1) Casa Nuova: Sam
(4) Goodhaven Sheriff: Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan
(3) Harad Marshals: Stirk, m1895, King Zultan
(0) Flossmore Warden:  **UNAVAILABLE DUE TO CONFLICT**
(1) Coalition Expeditionary Forces: Stirk
(3) Interstellar Red Cross: Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan
(0) Amnesty Interstellar:  **UNAVAILABLE**
(0) United Labor Movement:
(5) United Green Party: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, Stirk, m1895
(0) Interstellar Geographic Society:
Quote from: Velociraptor Vote
(2) Pay 30-50k to keep and care for "Sid" the Velociraptor: Stirk, m1895
(4) "Thanks, but no thanks Hox:" Ops Chief, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan
I'm voting against the Velociraptor, because that seems like a lot of money to invest in something that might get shot to death at some point.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2020, 06:56:02 am »

(1) Anghabar Mining and Refining: Stirk
(6) Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, Stirk, m1895, King Zultan
(5) Anghabar Mining and Refining CI FP: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan
(0) Los Tornadoes:
(0) Slavic Vor:
(3) Harad Marshals: Stirk, m1895, King Zultan
(1) Coalition Expeditionary Forces: Stirk
(6) United Green Party: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, Stirk, m1895, NG1999
(1) Interstellar Geographic Society:NG1999
(2) Pay 30-50k to keep and care for "Sid" the Velociraptor: Stirk, m1895
(5) "Thanks, but no thanks Hox:" Ops Chief, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan, NG1999
Agreed, no velociraptor, am curious what types of jobs the geography society has

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2020, 08:18:16 am »

I'm sad I didn't start looking at this earlier. Loving the writing.

(2) Anghabar Mining and Refining: Stirk, Kashyyk
(6) Anghabar Mining and Refining CI FP: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk
(0) Los Tornadoes:
(0) Slavic Vor:
(4) Harad Marshals: Stirk, m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk
(2) Coalition Expeditionary Forces: Stirk, Kashyyk
(7) United Green Party: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, Stirk, m1895, NG1999, Kashyyk
(3) Pay 30-50k to keep and care for "Sid" the Velociraptor: Stirk, m1895, Kashyyk
(5) "Thanks, but no thanks Hox:" Ops Chief, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan, NG1999

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2020, 01:12:52 pm »

OOC: Looks like the top three are pretty set: Greens, Disney, and AMR CI FP.  Votes on the bottom two are closer, with Harad Marshals and Goodhaven just edging out the IRC.  Also, it looks like NatureGirl only used 2 of 5 votes?  She could tip the scale on those bottom picks if she wanted.  I'm going to let this run for probably another night in case she wants to do so, or anybody else wants to join/re-vote.
In other issues, the Velociraptor Vote is the event this turn, and won't be resolved until the planning phase.  Feel free to continue arguing debating about it until then.

(6) Anghabar Mining and Refining CI FP: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk
(0) Los Tornadoes:
(0) Slavic Vor:
(4) Harad Marshals: Stirk, m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk
(7) United Green Party: Sam, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, Stirk, m1895, NG1999, Kashyyk

(3) Pay 30-50k to keep and care for "Sid" the Velociraptor: Stirk, m1895, Kashyyk

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2020, 01:46:03 pm »

Harad probably does have better jobs available.
(0) Los Tornadoes:
(0) Slavic Vor:
(3) Goodhaven Sheriff: Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan
(5) Harad Marshals: Stirk, m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk, Powder Miner

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2020, 02:05:17 pm »

been a while since I’ve read u- on missions, how’s the prison regarding human rights? What missions were there since ( last came here? Are there summaries? Who are the Coalition Expeditionary?
(0) Los Tornadoes:
(0) Slavic Vor:
(4) Goodhaven Sheriff: Pokeboss44, m1895, King Zultan, NG1999
(5) Harad Marshals: Stirk, m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk, Powder Miner
(4) Interstellar Red Cross: Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan, NG1999

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:07:39 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2020, 02:16:56 pm »

The coalition is basically a large-scale PMC. I'd advise against going for it as we already have a combat contract (the Green Party likely wants us to raid the prison to free one of their higher-ups, who's been forced into sex slavery by Flossmore). I'd also advise against going for the IRC for the same reason.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:20:53 pm by m1895 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2020, 02:30:15 pm »

We might still be in the shit with the Coalition; I’d want to wait til our first jump before contacting them. I’m definitely fine with multiple combat missions, though, albeit probably at a maximum of two.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2020, 03:21:15 pm »

Who are the Harad Marshall’s?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29