Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: Space Cowboys for Hire [Month 7] (New Blood Welcome)  (Read 39187 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Space Cowboys for Hire (A PvE AR-like) [Turn 4]
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2020, 03:43:32 pm »

been a while since I’ve read u- on missions, how’s the prison regarding human rights? What missions were there since ( last came here? Are there summaries? Who are the Coalition Expeditionary?

....Maybe go back and read them?

The coalition is basically a large-scale PMC. I'd advise against going for it as we already have a combat contract (the Green Party likely wants us to raid the prison to free one of their higher-ups, who's been forced into sex slavery by Flossmore). I'd also advise against going for the IRC for the same reason.
We might still be in the shit with the Coalition; I’d want to wait til our first jump before contacting them. I’m definitely fine with multiple combat missions, though, albeit probably at a maximum of two.

They're basically rent-a-cops. We can probably take two combat missions without too much trouble. They might take comparatively more manpower than cloak and dagger style missions, but they shouldn't be too difficult if we know what to expect.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2020, 03:36:35 pm »

Contract Phase

United Green Party

"An upstart political party that seeks to promote and enact policies 'for the public good.'  In direct civil conflict with more mainstream libertarian-leaning Coalition politicians, they must pick their battles carefully lest they face repression from their God-king adversaries.  Make no mistake though, they have more support from some key Founders than they let on."

-Sam

Johann Schubert was once one of the charter members of the UGP.  In recent months, he has retreated from politics entirely.  We have recently obtained information that may explain this unexpected turn of events.

Four months ago, his daughter posted on social media that she was going on an extended digital detox retreat and hasn't been heard from since.  We've now confirmed that Lise Schubert is being held off-the-books by the notorious Flossmore Debtors Prison on Lossarnach.  A classically trained soprano of the finest upbringing, she was likely abducted and has been subject to repeated human rights abuses.  (Out of respect for the victim, we'd rather not disclose these abuses.)  While normally we'd prefer more civil means to resolve this, we have reason to believe that anything other than a swift resolution may place her life in jeopardy.

While the security at Flossmore proper is rather daunting, Miss Schubert has been reported frequenting a minimum security work-release site just to the north.  Do what you will with this information.  The UGP has nothing but the utmost respect for the criminal justice system.  However, we will duly pay a substantial reward upon the safe return of Miss Schubert, no questions asked.

Estimated Profit: 100k

Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast

"How have you not heard of these guys?  Going all the way back to the Old World, these guys hold a near monopoly in video media entertainment.  Furthermore, they've integrated and diversified into other industries including toys, general merchandizing, live entertainment, and telecommunications.  We don't normally do business with them, as they prefer to keep everything in-house with their own operators."

-Sam

Dear loyal SuperFans, we've recently come across some very troubling information.  Your treasured childhood icons have been defiled yet again by heinous Rule 34 Degenerates.  Where you ask?  At the so-called 'Mystical Kingdom' on Lossarnach.  A clear attack on your cherished cultural heritage, how could such a travesty be tolerated?  Only you, our loyal SuperFans, can right this wrong.

Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast will happily reward our SuperFans for the demolition of the 'castle' at the center of this so-called 'Mystical Kingdom.'  We've already heard some SuperFans have already leased a members-only spaceport to the west of the castle.  Surely they'd gladly allow other SuperFans to use this unlisted spaceport.

Estimated Profit: 150k

Anghabar Mining and Refining CI FP

"As you may recall, we did the whole Shamrock Tavern debacle for Agent Barclay two months ago.  He told us to back off after that, but it looks like he's again got business needs."

-Sam

Attention trusted contractors, while we had hoped to expand operations this month, we find ourselves on the defensive.  We have reason to believe a deep cover penetrating agent has been compromised.  This agent needs to be extracted from the field immediately.  However, his support network is likely either surveilled or otherwise compromised as well, effectively neutralizing them for this operation.

While the agent may be capable of exfiltration on his own, it would tremendously lower the physical risk of the operation if he had support in doing so.  However, involvement of uniformed AMR personnel or resources would only further compromise the agent and his operational accomplishments.

At the very least, we are contracting for a low-profile vehicle and driver to smuggle the agent out of a hostile urban area on Anghabar.  Further resources applied appropriately may be beneficial.  As this is a deep cover agent, friendly contact with other AMR security forces should not be relied upon.

Estimated Profit: 40k

Harad Marshals

"We last worked with these guys on the Miles Notkin bounty.  It was a nice clean paycheck that our Goodhaven ties wrapped up quickly."

-Sam

Good to hear from Ocean PMC again.  With all the refugees flooding Harad, we sure could delegate some work to a trusted hand.
We have a hot warrant that the sponsor is paying a bonus to expedite.
The sponsored warrant identifies "Roger Hamilton," a 42-year-old Caucasian male from Anghabar.  He was an AMR Regional Manager before he hitched a ride on an AMR interplanetary freighter to Rattlesnake Ridge and disappeared.  We don't have any leads on his whereabouts beyond the Rattlesnake Ridge spaceport, but a man with that kind of bankroll can afford to live anywhere on Harad.  AMR is sponsoring this warrant and has provided his employee record, including further biographic data and a full biometric enrollment (prints, DNA, irises, and mugshot.)  AMR has refused to disclose possible motives, claiming it as immaterial to execution of the warrant.  As for criminal justification, the charge is Grand Theft.
As usual, this is a death warrant situation.  With the AMR-provided DNA profile, we will accept a severed heart as proof of execution.  However, the sponsor stated they would provide an additional bonus for live capture.

Estimated Profit: 50k

Interstellar Red Cross

"We last assisted the Red Cross in shutting down their rural Anghabar clinics two months ago.  With Dr. Norman Bethune running amok, I don't know what kind of work they have left out there."

-Sam

Dear Ocean PMC,
In accordance with AMR censure, the IRC has now formally withdrawn from the entirity of Anghabar.  However, we do have former personnel who have insisted on staying behind on an informal basis.  While we respect the humanitarian spirit and self-sacrifice embodied in that decision, these actions endanger not only themselves, but other healthcare providers.  The IRC cannot freely claim to be a neutral apolitical NGO while prominent former personnel are openly backing an insurgency.

As much as the IRC would like to convey this to 'Dr. Bethune' and others, they are expressly wary of electronic communication.  They have provided us contact information for a courier however.  This courier is a completely unknown to us, and likely an active member of the insurgency.  We would like to hire a PMC to meet this courier on Anghabar and convey our message to him.

Sincerely,
Dr. Oliver Throckmorton, MD
IRC Head of Mission, Anghabar

Estimated Profit: 30k

"Wow, that's some serious windfall at Flossmore.  Of course the downside is that it's enough money that Greywater and other PMC's are probably chasing it too.  We haven't cultivated a relationship with either the Greens or Disney, so we'll have to sell ourselves hard to compete.  Neil pointed out that our experience from previous months have given us plenty of tactical intelligence for either contract.  However, Neil also pointed out that if Flossmore gets hit twice in the same month, their security posture is going to be severely elevated for the second operation.  Sadly, that also includes if some other PMC triggers Flossmore ahead of us.  Either we rush one Flossmore contract, or we lock down both."

Neil thinks we can pull-off a simultaneous op against Flossmore.  One team goes for the prisoner rescue, while the other performs the demolition on the castle.  They're nearby enough to support each other as needed.  Being able to use the unlisted spaceport for the prisoner evacuation avoids having to smuggle an escaped prisoner across town to a predictable destination.  Of course this course of action will take everything we have, but for that kind of money, it's worth a shot."

Sam's Pitch (Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast and United Green Party Simultaneous Op)
"Dear Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast,
We are outraged by this debasement and will glady commit our full resources to addressing it.  We already have an established intelligence asset providing ongoing tactical intelligence against Flossmore PCF.  Our demolition capable eight-man strike force will deploy enough Semtex to reduce that castle to rubble."

"Dear United Green Party,
Our heart goes out to the Schubert Family.  Luckily, we already have an insider with Flossmore PCF who will surely assist with the liberation of Miss Schubert.  Our elite eight-man hostage rescue team will act swiftly and surgically to bring Miss Schubert home.

OOC: (RULE/MECHANICS UPDATE!!!) So because you have two possible contracts/missions against the same adversary in roughly the same battlespace, now's the time to introduce the Simultaneous Ops Rule.  Each operation should be manned, equipped, and planned as usual.  However, they're allowed to communicate and support each other as appropriate to the situation.  If things go well/bad enough, teams may even directly cross-over to the other mission if appropriate.  In terms of rolls, this will be factored into the Plan Rating for either mission.  Still, each mission will get their own three rolls as opposed to sharing them.  For the sake of reading comprehension, both missions will be written up in the same report.

Quote from: Pitch Votebox
(1) Sam's Pitch (Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast and United Green Party Simultaneous Op): Sam

Quote from: Velociraptor Vote
(3) Pay 30-50k to keep and care for "Sid" the Velociraptor: Stirk, m1895, Kashyyk
(5) "Thanks, but no thanks Hox:" Ops Chief, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan, NG1999

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2020, 05:16:33 pm »

I'm set on just the two jobs personally. Suggested pitches:

United Green Party

Dear United Green Party,
Inhumane treatment of innocent civilians is completely unacceptable. We will grantee her safe return. Our nine man hostage rescue unit will assure to that, methods withheld at your request. Just know we have basic OPINT of the target location and are capable of acting as soon as you give the word.

Dear Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast,
I will not allow these degenerates to debase the magic from my childhood, nor the wholesome movie nights I had spent with my late spouse. In their memory I've dedicated a nine man demolitions team equipped with enough explosives to blow the kingdom to kingdom come. Just give the word and it'll be no more than pixie dust.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2020, 06:12:42 am »

I'm set on just the two jobs personally. Suggested pitches:

United Green Party

Dear United Green Party,
Inhumane treatment of innocent civilians is completely unacceptable. We will grantee her safe return. Our nine man hostage rescue unit will assure to that, methods withheld at your request. Just know we have basic OPINT of the target location and are capable of acting as soon as you give the word.

Dear Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast,
I will not allow these degenerates to debase the magic from my childhood, nor the wholesome movie nights I had spent with my late spouse. In their memory I've dedicated a nine man demolitions team equipped with enough explosives to blow the kingdom to kingdom come. Just give the word and it'll be no more than pixie dust.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2020, 06:59:29 am »

UGP have been intentionally ambiguous with their message, so I'd prefer it if we made an attempt at doing so ourselves:

Dear United Green Party,
Our hearts go out to Miss Schubert and her family, for it must be incredibly difficult for them at this time. If only there was something our elite nine-man hostage rescue team could do. However, we do have an honest lead at Flossmore penitentiary, so at the very least we can corroborate your information. Perhaps we will be lucky and she'll turn up?

EDIT: I'm voting for my UDP proposal + Stirk's DFUC
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:34:01 am by Kashyyk »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2020, 03:25:27 pm »

Sam grins wolfishly, "Going all in it is!"

United Green Party
"Dear United Green Party,
Inhumane treatment of innocent civilians is completely unacceptable. We will grantee her safe return. Our nine man hostage rescue unit will assure to that, methods withheld at your request. Just know we have basic OPINT of the target location and are capable of acting as soon as you give the word."

"We appreciate your tremendous commitment of manpower.  You have our thoughts and prayers on this journey."

Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast
"Dear Disney-Fox-Universal-Comcast,
I will not allow these degenerates to debase the magic from my childhood, nor the wholesome movie nights I had spent with my late spouse. In their memory I've dedicated a nine man demolitions team equipped with enough explosives to blow the kingdom to kingdom come. Just give the word and it'll be no more than pixie dust."

"Sending the coordinates and passcodes for the unlisted spaceport now.  Send that abomination of a 'castle' off to Neverland."

Hardware Phase

OOC: We've gotten some fresh blood since last hardware phase, so here's a reiteration of the guidelines.
1.  No infrastructure.  In short, if it's not a weapon, vehicle, or some kind of field gear, it's probably infrastructure.  (If you don't understand this, ask an Arms Race player.)
2.  20k is roughly equivalent to 20k USD present-day.  Your roll will always affect how far your money goes, but keep that price in mind unless you want to get dangerous with the difficulty modifier for the roll.  Accordingly, you're mostly going to be buying "used" goods to minimize costs.  You guys are running a business: cost-effectiveness beats bleeding-edge performance.  (Didn't you wonder why most of the pre-game Armory was late 20th Century tech?)  That being said, you'd be surprised what you can Google-up present-day for that price.
3.  You can really stretch that money via upgrading existing hardware or trade-in.  (Arms Race players, notice there is no distinct "Revision Phase."  If you really want a "revision," this is the phase to do it.)
4.  If you're feeling uninspired, everything in the pre-game Armory had a unique niche.  Plus you know that they're on the market somewhere out there, and thus shouldn't be too difficult a roll to buy back.  Its under the "Inventory Retention Plan" quote on the first post.
5. In theory, you could vote to save the 20k, though it's probably a really bad idea to do so.

"Ma'am, Neil here.  Looks like we've got a big time op this month.  Now if Danny and the old crew were here, he'd probably have one of his signature schemes that would somehow involve rapelling through a skylight and zero bodycount.  While I certainly don't have Danny's flair for that kind of thing, we're still short on those kind of technical capabilities.  Also, despite having done two ops against Flossmore, our casing/intelligence prep is still incomplete thanks to a certain somebody.  With all that in mind, a raid is our most reliable course of action here."

"With that in mind, we're still short on tactical gear and vehicles as well.  If we're going all in on this, we only got six suppressed automatic carbines, two SUV's, and that's about it for fire and maneuver.  I'm not sure the ATVs with open cabins are viable for arctic warfare.  So, we have a lot of room for improvement."

"Now there's a old defense procurement joke, 'When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.'  We can crunch time this.  If we double our hardware budget this month, we can push for a second minor system this month.  It's going to be a serious crunch, and we're going to have to pay our shipside support techs overtime, but it should work."

OOC: (RULE/MECHANICS UPDATE!!!)  What Neil is suggesting is introducing the Hardware Crunch Time Rule.  In exchange for double the cost (40k,) Neil will spend 20k as usual for the first system.  Then, he will spend 10k on a second system, and finally 10k in overtime for support techs to get both systems ready for fielding.  Thus, keep in mind that your second hardware choice has only half the budget as normal.  As 'can-do' as Neil is, he's just as bad at multi-tasking as most humans are.  In addition to the usual difficulty modifiers, both will get an additional -1 modifier to their rolls.  So in summary, you can get a second hardware system, but: it'll cost an extra 20k, your second design is calculated at half the usual budget, and BOTH will get an additional -1 modifier because everyone is rushing their usual work.

"The only confirmed intel on the time/location of the hostage is that she meets johns in the castle circa 8 PM.  Unless we get solid intel on her daytime location, this is going to be a night op.  As great as our FLIR binos have served us during night ops, they're not something usable in CQB or driving.  It's time to pick up some wearable NOD's."

Hardware Proposal: AN/PVS-14 Light Amplifying Night Vision Monocle
The AN/PVS-14 is a 3rd Gen light amplifying monocle that was commonly used by the US military at the turn-of-the-century.  Lightweight and impressively energy efficient on a single AA battery, it can worn all-night by an infantryman on patrol without wearing out the soldier's neck or battery.  Lack of magnification is actually a feature, as this provide less eye-strain during hours of continual use.  The monocle can either be mounted on a provided "skullcrusher" head-harness, affixed to a "rhino" mount on a helmet, or attached to a weapon rail mount.  Includes a manual IR illuminator.

"It's all fun and games shooting locks until there's a bad ricochet.  Similiarly, I wouldn't trust Redbrick to unshackle somebody with Semtex.  Throwing together a few breaching backpack kits shouldn't be too hard."

Minor Hardware Proposal: Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit
Consisting of a Halligan bar, sledgehammer/maul, bolt cutters, and a customized backpack, the Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit is a literal toolbox of forced entry solutions.  Invented by a New York City firefighter, the Halligan bar is the key handtool for firefighters since the late 20th century.  With proper technique, a Halligan bar can breach most common doors and perform a variety of utility tasks.  The sledge provides for additional utility and brute force solutions.  The bolt cutters can cut chain link fencing, chains, and most common padlocks.  A custom backpack will secure the heavy metal gear ergonomically in manner than won't break light discipline (reflective metal finishes) or noise discipline (metal on metal rattling).

Quote from: Hardware Phase Votebox
(1) *CRUNCH TIME* AN/PVS-14's AND Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit: OpsChief
(0) AN/PVS-14 Night Vision Monocle(s):
(0) Save 20k:

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2020, 03:40:20 pm »

(1) AN/PVS-14 Night Vision Monocle(s): NG1999
(0) Save 20k:

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2020, 05:46:16 am »

(2) *CRUNCH TIME* AN/PVS-14's AND Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit: OpsChief, King Zultan
(0) Save 20k:
I say we do both as night vision is something we've been needing for a while and breaching tools are handy to have around.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2020, 07:11:48 am »

Quote from: Osprey Body Armour
Used by the British Military at the beginning of the 21st century, the Osprey is a plate carrier system offering soft and hard protection to the full torso, plus shoulder, neck and groin. It is fully modular and includes a MOLLE compatible webbing system.

I don't think we need Night Vision atm, because the target site will be in the middle of business hours when we're likely to attack, so all their lights will be on. Thus we''ll only need NV to maneuver in the wilderness before we move.

(2) *CRUNCH TIME* AN/PVS-14's AND Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit: OpsChief, King Zultan
(1) Osprey Body Armour AND Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit: Kashyyk
(0) Save 20k:

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2020, 01:44:11 am »

Scalable Plate Carrier and a Helmet
The Scalable Plate Carrier is a late 00's plate carrier designed to supplement the heavy, unergonomic MTV.
For plates, we've decided on an ESAPI front plate, S-ESAPI side plates, and a SAPI back plate. To strike a balance between protection and cost (though of course, Neil has a bit of leeway if he manages to stumble upon better plates for cheap, whether that be XSAPI or something more... exotic.) As for the helmet, it can be LWH or ECH or PSAGT for all I care. Just as long they have something.

(1) SPC Armor and FEBBK: m1895
(0) Save 20k:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:26:57 am by m1895 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2020, 04:25:33 am »

I'm gonna change my vote, because as nice as it would be to have night vision, having body armour and not dying when shot is nicer.

(2) SPC Armor and FEBBK: m1895, King Zultan
(0) Save 20k:

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2020, 07:34:36 am »

I'm not fussed which armour we get, so I'll switch too

(0) Osprey Body Armour AND Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit:
(3) SPC Armor and FEBBK: m1895, King Zultan, Kashyyk
(0) Save 20k:

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2020, 01:07:36 pm »

"USMC plate carriers?  Solid, battle-proven choice.  I was scared you might want an IBA, IOTV, or something ridiculous like Dragon Skin.  Should be easy to find them in a variety of sizes.  The ECH and plates might be tricky, but still doable."

Quote from: Hardware Proposal: Scalable Plate Carrier and a Helmet
The Scalable Plate Carrier is a late 00's plate carrier designed to supplement the heavy, unergonomic MTV.
For plates, we've decided on an ESAPI front plate, S-ESAPI side plates, and a SAPI back plate. To strike a balance between protection and cost (though of course, Neil has a bit of leeway if he manages to stumble upon better plates for cheap, whether that be XSAPI or something more... exotic.) As for the helmet, it can be LWH or ECH or PSAGT for all I care. Just as long they have something.

Difficulty Modifier: Average (+/-0)
CRUNCH PENALTY: -1
Roll (2d4): 7
Result: 6 - Good

Although niche examples can certainly be cited, modern military body armor was popularized by the British made WWII "flak jacket."  Steel plates sewed into nylon, it was intended as infantry body armor to defeat the OPFOR's sidearm, the 9mm Luger pistol.  Relatively ineffective against pistol rounds and still too cumbersome for ground forces use, it was relegated to the RAF to protect bomber crews from anti-aircraft artillery fragments.  Ironically, it still proved too bulky for use in RAF bombers, and threw them to the USAAF under "reverse lend-lease."  USAAF eagerly issued 10,000 flak jackets for use in their roomier B-17's and B-24's.

With improvements in material science, steel plates were replaced with fiberglass composites.  While steel plate-based flak jackets weighed around 30 lbs, fiberglass "Doron plate" brought the weight of flak jackets under 10 lbs.  At that weight, Doron plate flak jackets were issued to ground forces from the Battle of Okinawa up through the Vietnam War.  Of course these jackets were still ineffective against small arms rounds, notably the OPFOR's service rifle, the 7.62mm AK-47.  This ineffectiveness, combined with with it's encumberance in jungle warfare, led troops in the Vietnam War to typically refuse to wear "The Heat Stroke Coat" in the field.

Then in the 1970's, kevlar changed everything.  The first of various aramid fibers, law enforcement drove kevlar soft armor that would be worn comfortably.  Meanwhile, the US DoD developed the kevlar-based Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops (PASGT), creating a non-metallic kit that could actually stop small arms rounds now, (although still not a direct AK-47 shot).

In the late 1990's, the PASGT was replaced by the Interceptor Body Armor (IBA).  A kevlar vest, it finally added ceramic strike/trauma plate pockets.  Derided as "chicken plate" and generally rejected by air crews in Vietnam, ceramic plates had since become popular with SWAT, and the material science had finally progressed to something light enough for everyday wear.  Ceramic Small Arms Protective Inserts (SAPI) weighed now only 4 lb a piece, and could finally stop a direct AK-47 shot.  Furthermore, the IBA introduced PALS/MOLLE webbing, allowed highly customizable chest rig set-ups right on the body armor. 

Widely fielded and extensively battle-tests in post-9/11 warfare, the IBA proved more than adequate.  However, it did have plenty of opportunities to show room for improvment.  Harkening back to Vietnam, infantry again found themselves wearing full-coverage "flak jacket" in a hot weather environment that generally lacked artillery produced flak.  Furthermore, the bulk of the body armor hampered various fundamental soldiering tasks, including entirely changing how a soldier shoulders a rifle or carries a backpack.

While conventional forces tragically decided to literally double the weight of the IBA into the 30+ lb IOTV and make it even bulkier, Special Operation Forces (SOF) trended towards minimalist plate carriers.  SOF, highly agile light infantry troops operating in highly difficult terrain, accordingly rejected heavy armor.  The IOTV was great for mounted-troops and turret gunners, but it could not be used for airborne, mountaineering, air assault, or amphibious ops.  Accordingly, other elite light infantry, such as the USMC and 82nd Airborne, soon moved away from flak jackets for general use.

More like chest rigs (or racks) with pockets for SAPI plates, plate carriers strip away all the unused bulky anti-fragmentation coverage.  Shoulders in particular are more exposed, to allow unhampered use of rifles.  Furthermore, additional armor attachments, such as side plates and groin protectors, could be attached to turn the plate carrier back into a flak jacket if needed.

One of the most popular of these plate carriers was the aptly named "Scalable Plate Carrier..."

USMC Scalable Plate Carrier w/ ESAPI plates and ECH (Quantity: Standard Issue)
An externally-worn coyote tan ballistic vest, the USMC SPC provides ballistic protection of the vital chest cavity.  The issued pair of ESAPI ceramic plates can stop most rifle rounds, while clocking under a total weight of 20 lbs.  For additional protection, side plates and a groin protector are issued (although most true operators wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of it).  The SPC is covered in PALS/MOLLE webbing, doubling as a chest rig, thus allowing a highly customizable layout of ammo/gear pouches.  The purchase also includes a matching Enhanced Combat Helmet (ECH), an early 21st century US military helmet also able to stop most rifle rounds.  The helmet includes a NOD mount and a headband.  The SPC, plates, and helmets have been stocked in a variety of sizes to fit the full range of our personnel.

"Glad you took my advice about the breaching kit.  I can't imagine doing a forced entry op this month without it."

Quote from: Minor Hardware Proposal: Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit
Consisting of a Halligan bar, sledgehammer/maul, bolt cutters, and a customized backpack, the Forced Entry Breaching Backpack Kit is a literal toolbox of forced entry solutions.  Invented by a New York City firefighter, the Halligan bar is the key handtool for firefighters since the late 20th century.  With proper technique, a Halligan bar can breach most common doors and perform a variety of utility tasks.  The sledge provides for additional utility and brute force solutions.  The bolt cutters can cut chain link fencing, chains, and most common padlocks.  A custom backpack will secure the heavy metal gear ergonomically in manner than won't break light discipline (reflective metal finishes) or noise discipline (metal on metal rattling).

Difficulty Modifier: Easy (+1)
CRUNCH PENALTY: -1
Roll (2d4): 6
Result: 6 - Good

10k is a lot to spend on hand tools, and Neil enjoys this surplus as he shops around for tactical gear.  While he mostly finds firefighter gear, such as "The Irons," he keeps shopping until he finds more tactical versions of the hardware.

With a smile, he finds what he was looking for...

Blackhawk! Dynamic Entry Backpack Kit (Quantity: Standard Issue)
A black backpack of 40 lbs of black anodized steel tools for forced entry.  Kit includes a Halligan bar, Thundermaul axe/sledge combo, BoltMaster camming bolt cutters, and a Break-N-Rake window raking polearm.  Too heavy and conspicuous for general wear, these kits will likely be stowed in the back of vehicles prior to immediate deployment.  Combined, these tools provided a variety of brute force solutions for bypassing locked doors, windows, restraints, padlocks, and fences.

Specialist Phase

"Now Ma'am, I think that crunch went really well.  Now let's talk about training for this upcoming op."

"So the way I see it, Redbrick has the demo down pat, but also we need one spy to confirm the time/location of the hostage.  Anna can do that pretty easily, though so could Nikita.  Hopefully we can locate her on the move, with an easy snatch and grab that won't involve any time-consuming breaching.  The problem then is the getaway.  If this ends up being a night op, offroading through snow in the darkness isn't going to be easy."

"I know I already mentioned this a few months ago, but a wheelman seems prudent now.  While Erik Heller did a great job crossing rivers with the Red Cross, but his acting skills make him more valuable as a face.  Ethan Hunt is partially crippled for the next few months however, and putting him in a vehicle might be a good way to keep him out of trouble."

Quote from: Specialist: Ethan the Wheelman
Manual or automatic, off-road or on, if it's got wheels the Wheelman can drive it.  Whether you need a getaway driver or a high speed interception with a PIT manuever, the Wheelman is your guy.  Familiar with a wide variety of vehicles, get him in the driver seat with the keys, and all is good.
Ethan Hunt will be trained as a wheelman.

Quote from: Specialist Votebox
(1) Ethan the Wheelman: OpsChief

"Also, have you decided what we're doing with the dino yet?"

Quote from: Velociraptor Vote
(3) Pay 30-50k to keep and care for "Sid" the Velociraptor: Stirk, m1895, Kashyyk
(5) "Thanks, but no thanks Hox:" Ops Chief, Powder Miner, Pokeboss44, King Zultan, NG1999

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 05, 2020, 09:31:50 am »

I don't thing a wheel man will be very useful on many missions, I think  a guy capable of dealing with security systems and things of that nature might be more useful in the long run.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2020, 03:50:13 pm »

Quote from: Victor the Breacher
Breacher: A breacher is an individual dedicated to the sole purpose of breach and clear maneuvers on entry positions from doors, windows, etc and being able to command a small fire team to efficiently take down hostile targets in a safeguarded position and utilizing all of their people at their command to cover adjacent entryways and using other vital military and police tactics to be able to protect our team from returning fire, managing pointman, and other such-known tactics. This training will also include an raiding or rather assault doctrine based on the clearing of fortified positions or buildings, being able to manage their team to clear room to room in an effective manner.

Victor Vega will be trained for this role, as he’s been in a firefight before and has shown camaraderie when he is the designated leader of missions.

Quote from: Specialist Votebox
(1) Ethan the Wheelman: OpsChief
(1) Victor the Breacher: SC777

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29