Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29

Author Topic: Space Cowboys for Hire [Month 7] (New Blood Welcome)  (Read 39182 times)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Cowboys for Hire [Turn 6]
« Reply #360 on: November 20, 2020, 12:12:25 am »

Contract Phase

Palantir Technologies

"Mr. Thiel founded this company back in the Old World to provide data analytics for counter-terrorism.  These days, they've become his own intelligence agency.  You never fully see how and where a good intellgence agency operates, but they seem to focus almost entirely on his personal glitterworld of Rivendell."

-Sam

A star shines on the hour of our meeting.

Recent analysis of metadata associated with terrorist financing has identified several nodes here on Rivendell.  One node in particular presents a unique operational challenge.

Cranbrook Academy for Girls is one of the premier college preparatory boarding schools in all of the glitterworlds.  Modeled after the East Coast schools of yore, Cranbrook provides an all-encompassing environment where the luminaries of tomorrow forge lifelong friendships while receiving the best education in the New Worlds.  The traditional single-sex environment encourages young women to focus on their futures without the hormonal distractions one would find in a 'co-ed' 'institution.'  Some of the most prominent families in the glitterworlds can be found within the board of trustees and student body.

Despite this, metadata conclusively indicates a source of terrorist financing within Cranbrook Academy.  Our investigative efforts have largely ruled out the faculty, but due to political sensitivities, we have not pursued leads into the student body itself.  With Mr. Thiel now taking a personal interest in resolving the situation on Anghabar, this is a line we are prepared to cross.

We are outsourcing a clandestine undercover investigation of the student body at Cranbrook Academy.  This investigation should positively identify which students are providing aid to the terrorists on Anghabar and how.  A bonus will be paid for actionable intelligence on their terrorist contacts.

Palantir Technologies will leverage its assets within Cranbrook Academy to alter student/staff registration and housing to embed your agent(s) within campus.  However, given the extremely sensitive operating environment, this is a deniable operation and Palantir Technologies cannot risk providing additional operational or analytic support.

Of additional note, transportation is not recommended.  Students are not allowed personal vehicles on campus, and parking for faculty and staff is limited.  The campus itself is walkable, and car services provide ready access to the cross-planet rail-system. 

Estimated Profit: 40k
Contract Deadline: 1 month

Coalition Expeditionary Forces

"As much as the Founders resisted, eventually they had to go and create a standing army.  They've only been around a few years, and they're still figuring themselves out.  It's looking like Anghabar might be their first real action."

-Sam

PRIORITY MESSAGE

Troops in contact (TIC) reported in vicinity of (IVO) Mullaghmore, Anghabar.  Complex ambush on B/2-2 Rifle Company.  5 KIA confirmed, including CO LION-6 and NCOIC LION-7.  Enemy forces are withdrawing and TIC will close shortly.

Contractor is requested to assume command of B/2-2 until they can be reinforced by C/2-2 in 24-48 hours.  Primary contractor will be temporarily commissioned as an infantry CPT in the Coalition Expeditionary Forces.  NCO ranks are authorized for additional contractors.  Customer will provide VTOL transportation at beginning and end of mission.  VTOL will deliver additional linguist support and field resupply with contractor.

Estimated Profit: 40k

Interstellar Red Cross

"An NGO who's had a rough few months.  As you may recall, one of their doctors has gone native and gotten their entire organization banned in the process."

-Sam

Dear Ocean PMC,
'Dr. Bethune' has 'broken bad' as they say.  I have confirmed he has been formally designated a 'combatant' by AMR.  IRC let this happen and has fully renounced him.  Still, we owe him better, and I have resigned my office in protest.  Now, I am personally financing one final attempt for 'Dr. Bethune' to leave Anghabar alive.

While he and his people are wary of electronic communication, I have arranged a fixer to smuggle myself to an in person meeting with 'Dr. Bethune.'  At this meeting, I will explain to him the imminent peril of his situation.  I've known this young man since he was an intern, and he will listen to me.  The fixer will then bring us to an 'amenable' spaceport so 'Dr. Bethune' can leave all this behind him.

I'm admittedly not familiar with this kind of skullduggery, but this fixer comes highly recommended.  In addition, I've spent most of my retirement savings financing the appropriate 'arrangements' at every step of the process.  Any assistance you can provide, namely a bodyguard, could prove decisive.

Sincerely,
Dr. Oliver Throckmorton, MD
Former IRC Head of Mission, Anghabar

Estimated Profit: 30k

Potter Properties

"I just told them how we really hit this one out of the park.  Looks like we should be able to walk this one in."

-Sam

Sounds like we made the right call hiring Ocean PMC so far.  Get the report in our hands overnight, and we'll make all the necessary corrections.  We will put you in contact with Miss Khadija Gilani, a technical writer who will perform the rewrite.

Keep up the good work.

Estimated Profit: 100k
Contract Deadline: 1 of 2 months remaining

AMR CI/FP

"It seems like forever ago when that Shamrock Tavern operation went so badly.  The last time we worked with Agent Barclay, the situation on Anghabar hadn't quite boiled over yet, either."

-Sam

With CoFor officially getting involved, senior officials are demanding actionable intelligence on Anghabar.  We may not be the only spooks out there, but we'll be damned if we get embarrassed by some other agency.

Our clandestine CI/FP agents posing as black market smugglers have established a relationship with the insurgency.  Having established their credibility, they will be bringing a truckload of off-world arms to a rural meeting site.  More importantly, said truckload will be accompanied by an off-world arms dealer who will be arranging their future illicit arms deals.  Implicit in negotiating the next deal(s), intelligence will be obtained detailing the insurgency's weapon systems, capabilities, logistics, and general strength.

However, our pool of clandestine agents is running shallow, and this arms dealer persona should be a one-time meet.  (Future contact with this persona will likely be done via courier or other cut-outs.)  We are therefore hiring an intelligence contractor to play the persona of a paramilitary-associated black market arms dealer.  Unless contractor provides additional resources, the arms dealer will travel in a small cargo truck with the clandestine agent handling the operation.  The handling agent has fully command of the operation on the ground.  The addition of a bodyguard or small entourage may sell the persona better, as well as provide additional tactical flexibilty.

While this is a clandestine operations, the area of operation is generally regarded as an insurgent safehaven and has been deconflicted with allied agencies as well.  While AMR Security Forces or CoFor should not be an issue, handling agent has full authorization for lethal force to ensure the success of this operation.

Estimated Profit: 50k

"Well Mrs. Ocean, it looks like we'll be dabbling in both high society and an active warzone.  Salt may be non-deployable for the immediate future, but we still have Hoxton until the end of the month.  Minus the two fatalities, that's a seven man roster.  Both Potter and Palantir are two man jobs.  For the CoFor emergency contract, there should be enough friendly forces to send in Simon Templar solo.  That leaves a pair to be smuggled into Indian Country, by either the IRC or AMR CI/FP."

Sam's Pitch (Potter, Palantir, CoFor, AMR CI/FP)
"Dear Potter Properties,
Always glad to hear from a satisfied customer.  Put us in touch with Miss Gilani, and we'll have this all wrapped up shortly."

"Dear Palantir Technologies,
A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting, indeed.  As I'm sure you're aware, Ocean PMC is renown for our discreet female intelligence agents.  With one embedded as a student, and another as a substitute teacher, we will have more than adequate access to the student body.  Our female intelligence agents will resolve this sensitive matter with the utmost of precaution."

"Attention Coalition Expeditionary Forces,
Acknowledged.  We are dispatching infantry leadership immediately.  Captain Simon Templar will assume command of B/2-2 until relieved."

"Dear AMR CI/FP,
Who better to play an off-world paramilitary persona than actual interstellar paramilitary operators?  We will dispatch one senior operator to play this persona, backed by a heavily armed right-hand man."

Quote from: Pitch Votebox
(1) Sam's Pitch (Potter, Palantir, CoFor, AMR CI/FP): Sam
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:30:25 am by ConscriptFive »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 20, 2020, 01:52:52 am »

Niel's estimates sound about right this time. We could probably switch to the Red Cross mission if we wanted to save that guy, but I'm pretty sure his dudes shot at us. There is a whole storyline there we just kinda skipped over, it might be fun to at least see the ending.

Lets just mess with some of the prompts:

Could be another NORAID. I hate to see naive young people's good intentions used for evil purposes. Whatever is going on, I've got some talented woman on my payroll who can get to the bottom of this without disturbing any of the other fine young woman at this prestigious school. I'm grateful for the opportunity to send them to Rivendell.

Acknowledged.  We are dispatching infantry leadership immediately.  Project Manager Simon Templar will assume command of B/2-2 until relieved."

((There. He gets a Ranking that sounds cool but doesn't actually mean anything. That way we arn't lying or embellishing anything!))

"Dear AMR CI/FP,
My grandpa was a gun runner for a couple of decades. Job hasn't changed much since they where selling sharpened rocks, I should be able to pass along a couple of stories that will help my men pass perfectly in their assigned roll. With some extra firepower just in case.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 22, 2020, 05:44:22 am »

Not sure about doing a forth mission with 70% of manpower but the main truth lies in how we would dish out our operators
Anna for Palantir probably needs a second operator for her mission, which we say is Ethan because he is the most... nonchalant of our operators
Eric for Potters could technically do it himself, but having no one on him seems pretty scary
Simon most likely has the best bet with dealing with himself, I doubt needing a bodyguard is that needed though I don't know if these mercenaries or the insurgents that he would be facing would be sending in any so-called Assassin
AMR mission seems pretty scary if anything goes wrong, thankfully we would send James there :) as the bodyguard to Nikita, punishment for leaving us results in you getting the most likely to be wounded in a mission.

Anyways my guess with 4 Ops would be is (Palantir: Anna as Student and Ethan as Substitute, Potters: Eric and Vic?, CoFor: Simon and Vic?, AMR: Nikita as Gun Runner?, and James as Bodyguard)

As another realization, it would seem Eric would need a spotter since he's casing a building for some papers, so Nikita should be tasked in that mission while Vic would be the smuggler persona. But then it would lose any story conclusion with James and Nikita, but maybe deserved because's he leaving us?

Lastly, is the safety on not doing the last dangerous AMR contract and getting two additional manpower for us, being able for a third spotter for Eric could help and hopefully not help someone to assist in the knocking out of residents, Nikita+James would be helping out Eric. As well as Simon would have Vic as a bodyguard. But gaining 50k additional in our backpack is always desired.

My last inquiry I guess is what kind of specialization we need, Simon most likely need further training if being sent off by his lonesome. But Ethan is the "basic" op that has no training, maybe a Field Medic and could help substitute as a biology or health teacher at the school, though this may be more difficult to train with a prosthetic arm, but I was thinking of a role that would still help long-term and in combat applications

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 26, 2020, 09:06:12 am »

Quote from: Pitch
"Dear Potter Properties,
Always glad to hear from a satisfied customer.  Put us in touch with Miss Gilani, and we'll have this all wrapped up shortly."

"We'll drink to our continued success."

Could be another NORAID. I hate to see naive young people's good intentions used for evil purposes. Whatever is going on, I've got some talented woman on my payroll who can get to the bottom of this without disturbing any of the other fine young woman at this prestigious school. I'm grateful for the opportunity to send them to Rivendell."

"We are appreciative you grasp the gravity of the situation.  We'd hate to see this develop into a fifth column.  Furthermore, few PMC's have the kind of elite personnel who can successfully impersonate a sixteen-year-old girl.  Ocean PMC is the ideal choice."

Acknowledged.  We are dispatching infantry leadership immediately.  Project Manager Simon Templar will assume command of B/2-2 until relieved."

"Solid copy.  Report to VAMPIRE-22 at New Dublin Spaceport for immediate movement."

"Dear AMR CI/FP,
My grandpa was a gun runner for a couple of decades. Job hasn't changed much since they where selling sharpened rocks, I should be able to pass along a couple of stories that will help my men pass perfectly in their assigned role. With some extra firepower just in case."

"We'll forward you a briefing packet so your man can study up on his role.  Agent Lively has kept your description to a minimum, but your man should both have a solid 'legend' and look the part.  Even though the insurgents are wary to expose themselves electronically, we can provide some limited 'backstopping' to support your legend."7

Hardware Phase

"Ma'am, I still feel terrible about how the so-called 'Beast' turned out.  Our boys deserve better, and if it wasn't for that thing, the ULM probably would've paid in full.  Furthermore, our custom button cameras have been so lacking in features that they're still under-used despite all the intelligence work we've been getting into.  It would be another overtime crunch, but we have the war chest to fix both this month."

OOC: (Rule Refresher!)  Hardware Crunch Time Rule.  In exchange for double the cost (40k,) Neil will spend 20k as usual for the first system.  Then, he will spend 10k on a second system, and finally 10k in overtime for support techs to get both systems ready for fielding.  Thus, keep in mind that your second hardware choice has only half the budget as normal.  As 'can-do' as Neil is, he's just as bad at multi-tasking as most humans are.  In addition to the usual difficulty modifiers, both will get an additional -1 modifier to their rolls.  So in summary, you can get a second hardware system, but: it'll cost an extra 20k, your second design is calculated at half the usual budget, and BOTH will get an additional -1 modifier because everyone is rushing their usual work.

Hardware Proposal: The Beast Goes to the Shop
While we did manage to uparmor one of our Land Rovers, the end-vehicle was nearly undrivable.  The 110hp offroad vehicle just couldn't handle the amount of hardened steel we stuck on it.  While we may not be able to get the materials to rework the body, the internal components should not be in high military demand.

First off, the 1990's-era naturally aspirated 4 cylinder 111hp diesel engine will be replaced with a more modern engine with a supercharger.  This should provide enough muscle to get our armored SUV back to highway speeds.  To assist in cooling, we'll cut louvre's in the armored fenders to improve airflow engine compartment better, and upgrade the puller fan behind the main radiator block.

The massive change in curb weight and center of gravity also made handling a nightmare.  To fix this, the suspension will be reworked, with new springs, dampers, and anti-roll bars.  Upgraded brake calipers, rotors, and pads will improve its abysmal braking distance.

While not VIP standards, the interior cabin of the Beast was barely inhabitable for even your operators.  To compensate for the additional insulation, air conditioning will be installed.  Hinges will also be placed on the windows so they can at least swing open.

While keeping the North Korean DPM LMG as an additional infantry weapon, we'll again attempt to acquire a suitable machinegun for the turret weapon mount.

It the end, the Beast will still look pretty beastly, but at least it won't drive like one anymore.

Hardware Proposal: Custom Button Camera 2.0
The button camera project was not our techs' finest hour.  The lack of a wireless interface or other real-time interface neutralized them for many surveillance applications.  Furthermore, the lack of audio capture was a serious design short-coming that also limited deployment.  Simply put, version 2.0 introduces a small bluetooth antenna and pin microphone and the software to operate them.  With a nearby smartphone, our custom button cameras should now provide realtime audio/video.

Quote from: Hardware Phase Votebox
(1) *CRUNCH TIME* Beast Fix AND Custom Button Camera 2.0: OpsChief
(0) Beast Fix:
(0) Save 20k:

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 27, 2020, 03:54:23 am »

(2) *CRUNCH TIME* Beast Fix AND Custom Button Camera 2.0: OpsChief, King Zultan
(0) Beast Fix:
(0) Save 20k:
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2020, 05:38:43 am »

Quote from: WhiteFalcon! Covert Entry Kit
Like the BlackHawk!, this kit is designed to gain access to secured locations in a variety of ways. However, the crucial difference here is that they are all supposed to be covert in nature. Lock pick sets, snap guns, a set of skeleton/master/bump keys for mechanical locks, key card cloners and the like for electrical locks, some basic safe cracking gear (cinema says a stethoscope is useful), and if the budget allows additional tools for the more paranoid systems like biometrics.

Another critical difference is that we probably don't need more than two kits, so we should have some leeway for high value tools.

Quote from: MakeUp+ Disguise Kit
Hollywood has a lot to answer for when it comes to how much change you can really make to a person's appearance. However, this kit comes as close as is realistically possible. A suite of high end cosmetics, along with minor body prostheses such as shoulder pads and girdles to help modify a silhouette should give our agents the ability to change their appearance with some prep time.

I might have more ideas in a bit.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 02:23:43 pm by Kashyyk »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 29, 2020, 10:06:11 pm »

Hello Kitty(TM) Print Desert Eagle .50 AE

As we can not afford to fail our first mission on a glitterworld, we must be equipped to fight off any threat that these terrorist may pose without blowing our cover. If there is one thing I remember about being a 16 year old girl was that they love cute things and accessories. Therefore we will purchase multiple Desert Eagle .50 AE with custom Hello Kitty hand guards and decorated slides. All expenses will be paid to insure proper copy write on this property. If extra funds remain, Mickey Mouse (TM) handguns will be printed for the men in blue colors. If funds still remain, Tamagotchi (TM) virtual pet systems will be purchased and placed on the bottom of the magazine.

This should insure that we are capable of defeating moderately well armed terrorist threats with a weapon that we can successfully carry in a school bag without drawing undue suspicion on our operators. 

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 03, 2020, 03:24:08 am »

Quote from: Custom Button Camera 2.1
The button camera project was not our techs' finest hour.  The lack of a wireless interface or other real-time interface neutralized them for many surveillance applications.  Furthermore, the lack of audio capture was a serious design short-coming that also limited deployment.  Simply put, version 2.0 introduces a small bluetooth antenna and pin microphone and the software to operate them.  With a nearby smartphone, our custom button cameras should now provide realtime audio/video.

As well, to make sure it can serve better as a proper audio bug or hidden camera, improving its battery life when not in use so that it can last longer and improving its low-light performance by giving it some form of NV sensors and lenses, will help this equipment better serve at its role.

Fine we will go with the generic safe version instead.

(1) *CRUNCH TIME* Custom Button Camera 2.0 (20k) and WhiteFalcon Covert Entry Kit (10k): SC777
(0) Beast Fix:
(0) Save 20k:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:20:30 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2020, 11:11:12 am »

(2) *CRUNCH TIME* Custom Button Camera 2.0 (20k) and WhiteFalcon Covert Entry Kit (10k): SC777, Kashyyk
(0) Beast Fix:
(0) Save 20k:

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2020, 02:57:38 pm »

"Sounds good.  Our electronics guy has been asking about overtime shifts."

Hardware Proposal: Custom Button Camera 2.0

Difficulty Modifier: Easy (+1)
Crunch Time Penalty (-1)
Roll (2d4): 8
Result: 8 - Kinda Amazing (CRIT HIT)

Ops Chief Neil MacCauley's admires the device in his hand,  "Now this is what I'm talking about."

The electronics tech beams, "Wait til you see what I did with the Wave app."

"Wait, you updated the Wave app as well?"

"Consider it an apology for 1.0."

Despite its concealable size, the Custom Button Camera 2.0 now has an impressive amount of features.  In terms of collection, both a pin microphone as well as an IRNV sensor have been added.  While only so much can be done with such a small device, it now functions on par with some larger devices for low-light and audio collections.

The wireless interface works flawlessly.  The device can pair with a smartphone under five meters away.  (Too strong a signal would be both a drain on battery life and a security vulnerability.)  The encrypted datastream includes basic controls, diagnostics, as well as audio/video data.  Furthermore, our "Wave" app has been updated inhouse to relay this to/from other Wave users.  For example, a team leader could watch live-feed from an undercover asset whose phone is broadcasting from a concealed button cam.

In terms of data security, all transmitted audio/video data is compressed with custom codecs.  Raw data on the removeable NM card is protected by a basic password encryption system.

As before, the case of the camera has small loops so it can be sewn in/onto clothing.  Non-marking double-sided tape is included for attachment to hard surfaces.

Custom Button Camera 2.0 (Quantity: standard issue)
A custom inexpensive watch-face-sized HD video camera designed to be worn or otherwise concealed.  IRNV sensors have also been added.  Bluetooth pairing allows a real-time audio-video feed to a smartphone.  With the inhouse fork of the Wave commo app, can also stream encrypted video from one smartphone to another for remote viewing.  Includes removable 24hr battery, removable encrypted NM card, and included non-marking double-sided tape.

"Wave" Open Source Commo App, Ocean PMC Fork (Quantity: standard issue)
An open source app that can be installed on most smartphones to convert them for operational use.  As a security precaution, the app disguises itself on the device, and will uninstall if accessed improperly, such as during an invasive search or capture.  Forked inhouse to relay encrypted audio/video feed and control among networked devices.

WhiteFalcon! Covert Entry Kit
Like the BlackHawk!, this kit is designed to gain access to secured locations in a variety of ways. However, the crucial difference here is that they are all supposed to be covert in nature. Lock pick sets, snap guns, a set of skeleton/master/bump keys for mechanical locks, key card cloners and the like for electrical locks, some basic safe cracking gear (cinema says a stethoscope is useful), and if the budget allows additional tools for the more paranoid systems like biometrics.

Another critical difference is that we probably don't need more than two kits, so we should have some leeway for high value tools.

Difficulty Modifier: Hard (-1)
Crunch Time Penalty (-1)
Roll (2d4): 7
Result: 5 - OK

Neil works his contacts going through the laundry list of items.  Most of the mechanical stuff can either be made in house or found on the hobbyist market.  However, locksmiths and other security specialists tend to be protective of their craft, and are reluctant to compromise their careers by aiding malicious extralegal actors.

Neil has the inhouse machinists put together a pocket-sized tool roll of a wide variety of picks and torsion wrenches.  Your operators get familiarized with 'raking' low security mechanical locks, but require specialization for slower but more versatile single pin picking.  Speaking of rapid lockpicking, your machinists also make some decent quality 'snap guns.'  A snap gun is a simple spring-loaded device that can 'bump' open many low security mechanical locks in a matter of seconds.  Pulling the trigger on the metal pistol-like device snaps a spring that feels and sounds much like a common staple gun.

Unfortunately, just about everything else in the kit requires out-sourcing or knowledge of trade secrets.  Although none of the hardware in the kit should be that expensive, Neil has to track down a few security specialists who need some 'apprenticing fees' (totally not a bribe).  Neil tries to get get infuriated at how a keyring of tryout keys ends up costing four figures.  Getting a stock of key blanks to make 999/bump keys is a whole 'nother set of apprenticing fees.  At the end though, the WhiteFalcon! Covert Entry Kit should be able to pick most everyday mechanical locks.

True safecracking is a whole 'nother can of worms.  Most practical safecracking is a high skill endeavor that involves destructive power tools for forced entry.  Yet many consumer grade safes still use embarassingly vulnerable keyways so your lockpicking hardware should have some versatility here.  In terms of basic capabilities, Neil throws in a stethoscope, cordless drill set, and some 'punch rods.'  (Punch rods are long thin metal rods that can be punched through drilled holes to manipulate internal mechanisms.)  Still, it's a very technical procedure that varies between safes, and your operators won't be remotely effective using them without specialized training.  The rods and drill set add a lot of weight and bulk to the overall kit, and Neil stages them as a standalone kit bag.

Defeating electronic (magstripe, smart card, RFID, etc.) and biometric (fingerprint, voice, iris scan, etc.) systems is more problematic.  These kind of locks are installed and serviced by smaller community of security specialists who are very well compensated for their secrecy.  But common magstripe and many RFID systems are unencrypted and can be cloned or emulated.  (The front desk clerk of any good hotel has the hardware, software, and training to do this on a moments notice.)  However the hardware to crack the encryption schemes and signal protocols for more advanced electronic systems remain outside your grasp.  Your kit includes a palmable magstripe skimmer, a larger but still pocket-sized magstripe reader/writer, and a couple handheld RFID reader/writer tools for some more common RFID protocols.  For the purposes of electronic key cloning, the kit includes a handful of blank magstripe cards, RFID proximity cards, and RFID proximity key fobs.  Note that your kit does not include the means to emboss, sticker, or otherwise graphically design these counterfeit physical keys, and they will likely appear visibily different than a genuine key.

WhiteFalcon! Covert Entry Kit (Quantity: 2)
A small tool bag of devices to pick mechanical locks and clone low security electronic keys.  Includes picks, torsion wrenches, snap guns, bump keys, and tryout keys.  Unspecialized operators should be able to bypass most everyday mechanical locks without leaving obvious evidence.  Palmable magstripe skimmer, pocket-sized magstripe reader/writer, and a couple of handheld RFID reader/writer tools allow cloning of many common electronic keys in the field.  More advanced or exotic locks, not to mention those integrated into a centralized security system, will likely require additional hardware and/or training.

WhiteFalcon! Basic Safecracking Kit (Quantity: 2)
A medium tool bag that holds a cordless drill set, punchrods, and a stethoscope.  Unfortunately, spending a half hour drilling through a hardened steel case is actually the easy part of safecracking.  Knowing exactly where to drill for a specific safe requires specialized training.

Specialist Phase

"Well Ma'am, now we finally have some serious espionage gear."

"That being said, the gun walking job looks pretty high risk.  Not only are we going deep downrange but our guy has to play a role that could benefit from some weapons intelligence training.  Say the IRA starts talking about needing Dskha's and Spg-9's, or the difference between an RPK and a PKM, or the wide variety of RPG-7 rounds out there, a supposed arms dealer would at least know what the hell they're talking about.  We already heave two operators who I've done some weapons intelligence training on.  But, Templar is already out on mission, and Chapman could be used elsewhere"

Specialist: Weapons Intelligence Specialist
Wow, mankind sure loves inventing means of killing each other, eh?  There's just so many weapons system out there.  Yet most operators are only trained on a handful of systems.  Why should an operator know about a system they're never going to use?

Well in SOF situations, such a kind of professional gun geek is actually quite useful.  Fighting irregular forces in the middle of nowhere, it's sure nice to have a guy on hand who can identify what kind of gear the enemy is packing, and how it works.  Furthermore, when it comes time to train a local militia with whatever-the-hell-gear-they-just-showed-up-with, he might have some pointers about using 'foreign' systems he can pass on to the militia.  From small arms, to crew served weapons, and even some common munitions, no weapon gets forgotten by the Weapons Intelligence Specialist.

Ethan Hunt will be trained as our Weapons Intelligence Specialist

(OOC Rule Reminder!  You've now read plenty about your individual operators and should have a decent understanding of their individual strengths and weaknesses.  Operator personality will be factored into the difficulty of the Specialist Design.

Quote from: Specialist Phase Votebox
(1) Ethan "Zero Cool" Hunt, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: Ops Chief

You fidget with your hair as you scroll through the morphology selections.  You've designed a "new you" several times now, but you've never had the ability to alter ten other bodies at your fingertips before.  You smirk to yourself, "With all the work I'm putting into this, those ingrates better like it."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2020, 06:59:52 pm »

(1) Nikita "Ravenclaw" Taylor, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: SC777

Why I have a few ideas lying around on what we still need, the last operation we signed off seems too risky to not at least invest our specialist in it, so the other ideas can wait. Nikita should probably be trained in because her role as a scout, and the part about "Lacks the knowledge base to fully identify and analyze what she observes", would mean that giving her understanding of giving her knowledge of all types of weapon platforms and identifying them would help the role of being a designed recon unit, and would leave Ethan for a different role for the future such as a Field Medic?, some sort of Programmer/Software Specialist not being called an OSINT Expert ;), but I don't know the rules on how competing forms of trainings on a operator would do, hopefully you want something that is related or connected to their previous one, something that has "synergy".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 14, 2020, 06:10:14 am »

(2) Nikita "Ravenclaw" Taylor, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: SC777, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 25, 2020, 09:47:03 pm »

(2) Ethan "Zero Cool" Hunt, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: Ops Chief, Stirk
(2) Nikita "Ravenclaw" Taylor, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: SC777, King Zultan

We really need to spread out our specialties more, Ethan is missing a hand making him look like a grizzled veteran arms-dealer while Nikita was implied to be a young woman around Hoxton's age. If we bring a teenage girl and tell everyone she is their arms contact everyone is going to think we're telling a joke.

Besides its Christmas. His specialty.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2020, 03:25:59 am »

(3) Ethan "Zero Cool" Hunt, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: Ops Chief, Stirk, King Zultan
(1) Nikita "Ravenclaw" Taylor, the Weapons Intelligence Specialist: SC777
That makes since now that you mention it.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2020, 04:10:25 pm »

Specialist: Weapons Intelligence Specialist
Wow, mankind sure loves inventing means of killing each other, eh?  There's just so many weapons system out there.  Yet most operators are only trained on a handful of systems.  Why should an operator know about a system they're never going to use?

Well in SOF situations, such a kind of professional gun geek is actually quite useful.  Fighting against irregular forces in the middle of nowhere, it's sure nice to have a guy on hand who can identify what kind of gear the enemy is packing, and how it works.  Furthermore, when it comes time to train a local militia with whatever-the-hell-gear-they-just-showed-up-with, he might have some pointers about using 'foreign' systems he can pass on to the militia.  From small arms, to crew served weapons, and even some common munitions, no weapon gets forgotten by the Weapons Intelligence Specialist.

Ethan Hunt will be trained as our Weapons Intelligence Specialist.

A nerd at his core, Ethan sinks into his technical studies.  With Neil's guidance on appropriate study materials, he quickly establishes an encyclopedic base of knowledge on small arms in particular.  At a glance, he can identify a weapon system, its calibre, and effective range & capabilities.  He should be able to load/unload, safety/unsafety, and fire/clear almost any firearm.  (Note, precision marksmanship and maintenance are a whole different specializations.)

This knowledge base also covers common explosive devices such as grenades and land mines.  He can identify many common grenades as frag, anti-tank, smoke, illumination, gas, stun, or incendiary.  Also, whether a given grenade has a timed or impact fuze.  Ethan is also familiarized with various mines, their capabilities, and triggers.

Heavier systems are trickier.  While he's great at identifying them, they're called 'crew served weapons' for a reason.  While manportable systems direct-fire systems like machine guns and rocket propelled grenades can be fired solo, juggling artillery rounds while also setting fuzes, propellant charges, and managing fire direction need a crew to be used safely and effectively.  While Ethan is familiar with the theory of how artillery systems work, he isn't practiced enough to lead an artillery crew.  (Besdies, you don't want to 'just wing it' with 30 pound 120mm HE mortar rounds or the 200 pound warheads of a MLRS 'Grid Square Removal System.')

All in all, Ethan has turned into quite the know-it-all, and can talk your ear off about how the M-14 service rifle was the worst crime the US Army perpetrated during the Cold War.

Ethan the Gun Geek
A walking encyclopedia on weapon systems both big and small.  Can identify and safely operate most firearms without familiarization.  Can identify types of common munitions and their textbook usages.  Can identify heavier weapon systems but may not be able to operate them safely.

Spoiler: Roll (click to show/hide)

Operations Phase

"Well Ma'am, looks like he took to that like a fish takes to water.  So about mission plans-"

You interrupt him, "Sorry to stop you there, but I'd like to take a shot at it this month."

Neil raises an eyebrow, "Oh."

"I mean, we've been doing this for how long now?  I think I understand enough."

Neil pauses in thought, "Well... it's your business Ma'am.  I'll still relay you some intelligence and recommendations though."

CoFor OIC for a Day

"Okay Ma'am.  The action itself should be over by the time our man gets on scene.  Link up with the troops, and keep shit together until relieved in 24-48.  This is Simon Templar's gig and shouldn't need any specialized hardware."

Martinez & Sons Break-in for Potter Properties

"We've got this in the bag.  Customer will handle the forgery, we just need to break into Martinez & Sons twice.  Our Blackbagger, Erik Heller, already has the safe figured out, but our new hardware is a great failsafe.  A lookout/driver could also help."

Palantir's Investigation of Cranbrook Academy for Girls

"A low risk op, but tough on our morphology.  The most fruitful results will be as a student in on-campus housing.  With Salt on the bench, we only have two females deployable.  Chapman's got the skills, but is alittle too... er... 'mature'... to pass as a teenybopper.  We've never used her like this before, but I think it's Nikita's time to shine.  Nikita could probably do this solo, but Palantir can insert another operator as staff/faculty as well.  The staff/faculty operator can either support the student operator or pursue their own investigation.  I've also confirmed that this is a weapon free campus, but that shouldn't prove too relevant for our work.  In terms of hardware, the new cams could prove useful. "

IRA Gun Walking for AMR CI/FP

"This is the one I'm most worried about, Ma'am.  We're bringing a truckload of illicit arms downrange, then lying & spying on the IRA.  What could go wrong?  Ethan Hunt should have the technical knowledge base to pass as an arms dealer, just need to make sure he can get and keep his backstory straight.  But real VIP's rarely roll solo, especially not in situation like this.  Vega looking diesel AF with the Tachanka LMG could sell the bodyguard part well, not to mention provide very real muscle if we got to shoot our way out of there.  The more bodies and hardware we can fill out our VIP's entourage with, the better.  Our AMR CI/FP contact is bringing a truck, but we may want out own if we bring enough bodies."

Quote from: Plan Vote
(1) "I got ahead of myself, Chief.  I think you should still handle this.": OpsChief

You pore over the morphology selection one last time.  You think you've polished it enough to sell to your operators, but you're not sure how well they'll take it.  You've changed skins several times before, but they're all 'virgins' so to speak.  You have a vision, but they still can refuse.  It's what Danny wanted, and you wouldn't have it any other way.  "I'll be gentle," you say to yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29