Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A perspective on adventure mode(share your discoveries)  (Read 1443 times)

Lioneez

• Bay Watcher
  • Challenged.
    • View Profile
A perspective on adventure mode(share your discoveries)
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:34:02 am »

Well needless to say that the core of adventure mode is combat, lately im starting to rethink that approach as I think I noticed something most people dont realize about adventure mode.
For example, here we have Sigun Ustuthnil, A wolf man living in "The Dragon planes", pretty neat place tough I wanted him to be a lynx man simply because I like their look more.
He is a demigod, but hold right there before you are thinking I took the easy mode.
Sure he is a demigod but he does not have any combat skills above novice [Swordsman,Dodger,Armor-User,Shield-User,Ambusher] nor does he have super strength or any other physical attribute like that, most of what he has maxed is Memory and Intuition, I spended only 1 point in physical traits which are strength and agility since I could not max more than 2 and decided to dump the rest of the points into focus.

So, with that being said, how exactly did I rediscover the greatness of dwarf fortress adventure mode? well its easy, rather than kill stuff aimlessly I decided to amass wealth, make a name for the character without blood shed(But I still plan to have be good at combat by hunting wild life as I took it upon myself to not steal things with $ tag on them).
but thats not the point, as I started killing wild life for meat I already almost maxed my ambusher and tracker since I had them on 24/7, I carved the boned and wanted a new dagger, so im going to one village and I try to trade someone my 4 crappy bone figurines.
But life is never so simple, the guy told me that my shitty goods are not worth a measly dagger, but right than I noticed the A/O currency option, I pressed A and asked for 15 coins instead, he didnt have them but with that being said he was in debt to me, got a nice interaction out of it too.
So now with me knowing the value of money even if I dont know if Fort mode still has it, I decide to roam the land as a merchant and a scholar, documenting my discoveries and after spawning enough interesting wolf man I bet I will try and establish a wolf man village.
and maybe eventually spawn a new civilization in adventure mode, the sky is the limit.
So bless Armok and stop the needless bloodshed, the world is full of wonders and secrets and there is more way than one to have fun as I recently found.

If anyone has any other interesting options, please share, I think a lot of people are unaware of the options in Adventure mode and how to influence the world.