Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the monarchy hereditary?  (Read 4640 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Is the monarchy hereditary?
« on: October 06, 2019, 02:43:34 pm »

If it is can it be inherited by children? Or only adults? And does it go to the oldest child of the ruler?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the monarchy hereditary?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 07:17:08 pm »

From my experience I don't think it can be inherited by children.  There was a civ I had once with a single dwarf in it who was a child.  The civ was without a king until the child turned 12 and then they became king.  Also, *sometimes* it is inherited and sometimes it is not.  I've don't really understand why it's not always inherited.  You can spin up a couple of worlds and look in Legends view (or just export the data -- there is a text file with population descriptions that has all the info).  The monarchy will jump families when there are still elligible offspring available... Although... maybe it's the fact that they are too young... I hadn't considered that...

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:19:08 am »

Primogeniture is not the way the throne is inherited, I think. I had a royal family where the youngest daughter ingerited the throne over two siblings.

Also, there are no regents, are they? I never had one.

Some time ago I thought DF would have some kind of Crusader Kings mechanics but no, it's way simpler. Maybe the plots and villiains change this to some extent but I doubt it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »

Primogeniture is not the way the throne is inherited, I think. I had a royal family where the youngest daughter ingerited the throne over two siblings.

Also, there are no regents, are they? I never had one.

Some time ago I thought DF would have some kind of Crusader Kings mechanics but no, it's way simpler. Maybe the plots and villiains change this to some extent but I doubt it.
Politics and Society arc is the next major development arc after myth & magic, so quite a way off yet.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 11:03:10 pm »

I'm hoping for different forms of succession to be represented. It could be particularly interesting if civil wars and fighting civilizations of you're own race is implemented. Imagine a Dwarven kingdom being split between the children of the monarch and then war breaking out between them as they seek to conquer the inheritances of the others. With your fortress being caught in the middle, perhaps with multiple monarchs "offering" the fortress a place in their kingdom...

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 04:41:40 pm »

I'm hoping for different forms of succession to be represented. It could be particularly interesting if civil wars and fighting civilizations of you're own race is implemented. Imagine a Dwarven kingdom being split between the children of the monarch and then war breaking out between them as they seek to conquer the inheritances of the others. With your fortress being caught in the middle, perhaps with multiple monarchs "offering" the fortress a place in their kingdom...

Please, no.  Pretty soon the world would be nothing but goblin and elven civilizations and necromancer towers because human and dwarven kings would die triggering civil wars while they remained intact and blobbed. 

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 05:00:38 pm »

Please, no.  Pretty soon the world would be nothing but goblin and elven civilizations and necromancer towers because human and dwarven kings would die triggering civil wars while they remained intact and blobbed.
There's hundreds of reasons goblin civs might split and fight each other. Trivial issue to solve.

And elves have nobles too so wouldn't be exempt. I imagine elf societies would have rampant assassination going on, with the frustration caused by immortal druids.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:07:18 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 04:42:46 pm »

There's hundreds of reasons goblin civs might split and fight each other. Trivial issue to solve.

And elves have nobles too so wouldn't be exempt. I imagine elf societies would have rampant assassination going on, with the frustration caused by immortal druids.

That might be the case, since the druids choose who becomes queen by virtue of selecting who becomes the princess, who then goes on to become queen. The elven system of succession is very much tied into religion, given the druid is the highest ranking noble, and is responsible for both choosing their own successors and those of the leadership while the druid's own responsibilities are the religious side of things. Nothing hereditary about that at all, but not exempt from competition due to the aforementioned immortality I imagine.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 05:23:41 pm »

Goblins would definitely be exempt.  They're ruled by immortal demons.  They can't have succession crises or civil wars unless a very lucky adventurer kills the demon.  No goblin can usurp a demon. 

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 06:51:18 pm »

Goblins would definitely be exempt.  They're ruled by immortal demons.  They can't have succession crises or civil wars unless a very lucky adventurer kills the demon.  No goblin can usurp a demon.

Goblins are also power hungry, highly value independence, and are not afraid to kill for their own ends. Nothing stopping a goblin settlement from breaking away due to particularly ambitious individuals/groups of goblins aside from the inevitable retaliatory reconquering of said settlement by the demon overlord. If they're still around. Alternatively, if the demon leader dies (because they're made of a weak material or just unlucky) the goblin civ would probably collapse in on itself due to the above goblin personality traits.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 07:20:49 pm »

I take it you don't read Legends much? Goblins very often murder their demon lord. And demon lords very often get killed by elephants during their Elf purging wars.