Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 6! [Day 4]  (Read 41094 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 6! [Day 1]
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 07:26:35 am »

Hey IcyTea, what the fuck is this
That there is how to get you to explain yourself with minimal obstinacy. As they say, the best way to get the right answer is to give a wrong one.

Of course I didn't follow up. I might want to lynch Questor in the future. I've already got the part of the trap that makes them look suspicious intact and preserved.
Though I don't completely understand why you would want to keep an RVS case for later use instead of using it to determine alignment now, this does match with your playstyle in past games. In your experience, has an RVS case ever been a meaningful linchpin of a late game case leading to a lynch, and not just an easily-overturnable "oh, and also this" point?

You don't get to accuse me of artificially distorting the types of content that weaker players are producing and then complain that I'm not dictating the terms by which a newer player I have no meta information on should attempt to shift suspicion away from theirself, ICT.
That second part is your words, not mine.

your answer is both technically sound and sensible. 8/10, minus one point for presentation.
My answer was a bullshit non-answer. I don't like yes/no RVS questions so I put in some filler to make it even less useful than a single-word "No." and make it look like I'm in your head even though it was literally my first post this game. Still, it created a conversation so it wasn't a total loss on either side.

Assuming no serial killers or vigilantes in play
it is very likely the scumteam we're looking for is a two-man team.
Given that there are no trackers and watchers
It's a semi-open setup with several vanilla townies. We know that there are no serial killers, no vigilantes, and exactly two scum. The only part where guessing might matter is which of the three setups we have. Beyond that, outguessing the mod is useless for this game.
Depends on the circumstances, but given mechanical evidence such as night actions, I'd go for the logical. Social is good too, but you have to know what you're going for and to anticipate the reaction you'll get.
This implies that you don't know what to go for with social scumhunting methods. How are you planning to puzzle out scum logically in this game where the presence of vanilla townies lets practically everyone say they didn't do anything on a night?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 07:34:10 am »

Oh, I missed that this was directed at me:
I’m thinking Delores, according to other players, he might be power wolfing, which I looked up and learned that it means when scum try to turn the game in their favor, however he could also be an aggressive town member.
Why are you trusting other players to tell you who's dangerous? How can you be sure that they weren't pointing you to that conclusion by using the 'power wolf' buzzword? Why would you consider an aggressive townie to be a threat to you?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 07:38:50 am »

You misheard. If he is aggressive town, he is not a threat, if he is indeed power wolfing, then he is a threat

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 07:42:39 am »

How do you intend to determine which of those it is?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 08:24:02 am »

I don’t know yet, I’m thinking

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 09:03:54 am »

Superdorf: the votecount in the OP says the day will end on 2019-09-10. That day was last month. Do you mean the 9th or 10th of this month?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 12:12:45 pm »

Um guys, I'm a bit busy today and haven't had time to read the new thread. Ill probably post tommoro
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2019, 12:51:12 pm »

6. kingawsume: Will you be regularly participating this game?

Jès. It's been a while, and I no longer have the distractions of school to keep me away from trying to kill the bad people through democracy.
kingawsume: you're the mafia rolecop, how will you narrow down in the thread who to inspect during the night?
Whoever seems to be asking enough questions to look like a regular townie, but seems to know the answers before they ask them. Either that, or the suspected townkill/invest.
kingawsume: If we were scum together, what questions would publicly you ask of me on D1?
I'd ask "If you we're scum, who'd you want to be scummates with?"

I'd be RVS at that stage, and the information gathering phase at that. There wouldn't be any real inquiries as to why you and that specific question, as long as you gave a decent enough lie.

I've always been a more "passive observer" type of player, but I'll try to be a little more active.
IcyTea:
Quote from: Hector
IcyTea: At what point would you be bothered by me ignoring you completely?

When it would lose me the game. Right now, it wouldn't.
Anything you want to say about that?
Everyone: What's your RVS pick?
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2019, 01:03:12 pm »

*face palm* looks like I have some time. So...prepare for my useless and unskillled questions I guess.

So,IcyTea, how does it feel to be the GM the last game and a player in this game? (Hopefuly this is relevant)

Already having a bit of an argument are we?

dolores, how do you feel about the assumptions other people have made about you?

Naturegirl, you literally just posted the same thing as TricMagic about dolores's identity. Why?

Is that bandwagoning?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2019, 01:07:38 pm »

It isn't bandwagoning. I agree with Tricmagic

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2019, 01:09:44 pm »

dolores. Believe it or not, but trying to lead town around is a stratagy some players use. And this type of commentry kinda reminds of someone else that isn't on this forum.

5. Pooka: Strategy for Day 1?

IonMatrix, can you reference where I said that about dolores?

Ninja Naturegirl. Again.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 01:23:29 pm »

I'd ask "If you we're scum, who'd you want to be scummates with?"

I'd be RVS at that stage, and the information gathering phase at that. There wouldn't be any real inquiries as to why you and that specific question, as long as you gave a decent enough lie.
Would that be the only question?

IcyTea:
Quote from: Hector

Anything you want to say about that?
I think it speaks for itself. Right now, for various reasons, Hector ignoring me wouldn't lose the game for town.

Haven't considered, since I intend to minimize time in the RVS. I'm already out of it for some players.

So,IcyTea, how does it feel to be the GM the last game and a player in this game? (Hopefuly this is relevant)
Being the GM gave me unique insights into some of the newer players. Rest assured, I will be using the lessons I learned.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2019, 02:24:19 pm »

IcyTea

How come IcyTea and I get the same question? Do you expect our answers to differ that much?
I'm not surprised. We're practically married at this point.

I mean, my waifu would probably have something to say about that.

Except dolores was oddly quiet about it. I am chagrined.

I don't get why naturegirl is playing the way they are. They're not making mistakes, they're not even at the same table. I need way more content of this sort to try and guess at alignment since it's got such thin correlation.
If your purpose is to see what sort of content they make and what sort of questions they ask, why are you controlling what content they make by priming and suggesting them to be deceptive?
But you're never going to -- answer questions like that honestly, so you pretend that's not the question you're asking and instead ask something that means the same thing but which they don't realise does (i.e. something you can compare to your interpretation of their metagame etc.).
If you're scum (figuratively or literally) you can ask questions you don't care about the answer to for the sake of convincing observing townies to lynch the player when they give a poor or contradictory response.
--
You're obviously here a lot. This means you've got the opportunity to do some work, like asking questions which are easy to answer
Emphasis mine. Try not to contaminate your data this early in the game.

While dolores can and has spoken for themselves in regards to this, I don't see what you see here.

Regardless, the effect of highlighting parts of a text is drawing the reader's eye to the highlighted parts, in so doing removing context if they don't read the intervening parts.

This is made even more egregious by the fact you edited out parts of the context yourself.

I'm not sure what your plan was here. It looks like you're laying groundwork to take out a stronger player. The earlier you start on that, the easier it will be.

hector13: How would you respond if I said I've got a scum gut read on you?

I wouldn't say anything, since in the hypothetical situations we have set each other I'm ignoring you.

However, before deciding on that answer I did run through a few, ranging from the comical to the confrontational. I decided to settle on cryptic.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2019, 03:26:53 pm »

While dolores can and has spoken for themselves in regards to this, I don't see what you see here.
Indeed, that part of the post was a mini-gambit intended to get an emotional (and thus more likely to be honest) reaction out of dolores. Dolores doesn't strike me as the psychologist type, so I doubt there was any truth to my accusation. Hell, priming doesn't even work well as a Mafia strategy since the game itself primes its players so strongly, and suggestion is far less subtle than what I underlined in dolores' post.

I'm not sure what your plan was here. It looks like you're laying groundwork to take out a stronger player. The earlier you start on that, the easier it will be.
The earlier I have a feel for the alignments of the most experienced players in the game, the better I know where to take my strategy later. I don't see how my total bullshit would work as a scum strategy, when the whole point is to be called out for making an argument that makes no real sense. How would one go about basing a lynch on something like it?

I wouldn't say anything, since in the hypothetical situations we have set each other I'm ignoring you.
Ignoring me having a gut read on you sure went well last time.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2019, 04:16:09 pm »

Indeed, that part of the post was a mini-gambit intended to get an emotional (and thus more likely to be honest) reaction out of dolores. Dolores doesn't strike me as the psychologist type, so I doubt there was any truth to my accusation. Hell, priming doesn't even work well as a Mafia strategy since the game itself primes its players so strongly, and suggestion is far less subtle than what I underlined in dolores' post.

The earlier I have a feel for the alignments of the most experienced players in the game, the better I know where to take my strategy later. I don't see how my total bullshit would work as a scum strategy, when the whole point is to be called out for making an argument that makes no real sense. How would one go about basing a lynch on something like it?

Ah, the old this-is-so-anti-town-it-must-be-town routine. Having it pointed out means you can't rely on it anymore, so you might as well fall back on cliched defenses, I guess.

However, I'm capable of taking you at your word. If the entire point of what you were doing was to be called out on it, I imagine you were expecting a different response depending on dolores' alignment.

How were you expecting dolores to respond as town?

How were you expecting dolores to respond as scum?

Ignoring me having a gut read on you sure went well last time.

*shrug* pobody's nerfect.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15