Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 6! [Day 4]  (Read 40616 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 6! [Day 1]
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2019, 05:07:35 pm »

Depending on which of them is scum, I’m guessing dolores or ICT due to comparatively high levels of activity compared to everyone else. Unless they are both scum arguing with each other to get one of them to be thought of as town because why would scum be investigating each other. I think at least one of them possibly both might be town, if this is the case, one of them might be night killed.
So you believe that if neither of us gets killed, both of us must be scum?
Now that I read your post, I see that high activity townies can be useful to scum. I thought high activity townies would be targeted because of the amount of questions asked.
Quote from: IcyTea31
Unless this answer suspecting them being night killed would cause the scum to nightkilk someone else to make town think they both are scum when they might not be because
And that's what WIFOMing yourself feels like. Forget the ifs and focus on what you know.
why wouldn’t scum kill high activity townies unless those “townies” werent townies
High-activity townies tend to get protected, killing low-activity townies gives less information to the town, and high activity can make for a smokescreen if you play your cards just right. The wine flows.

Also, please answer the questions I asked you before:
Why do you imply that not lynching town is a more important goal than protecting the cop?
How do you plan to use the extend-time to find scum?
How many questions do you expect you will have to ask to get a read on each player?
I thought that having people change their votes to someone not known to be innocent was a good idea. Another post mentioned sneakily vindicating a player, which would be a better option, as it protects the cop. I will reread posts and ask questions accordingly. The amount of questions I will need to ask will depend on how much I find that I have questions about.
Quote from: IcyTea31
Also, what's with the wishy-washy voting? Voting for someone and then retracting that vote before they even respond to it looks like throwing it around to see if it sticks rather than actually thinking who is scum.
I voted, then realized that what I should have done was the FoS, so I unvoted and made his name blue to reflect what should have been done earlier

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
  • Deleting things since 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2019, 05:25:37 pm »

I didn't want to post another time today but whatever. I'm caving in.

Naturegirl
Right, I unvoted you and remove the suspicion from you. Now I realize the suspiciousness of Pooka's inactifity. In the last game I played with Pooka, they posted much more often as town then they are in this game.
To be fair, I wasn't quite active in last game's Day 1 either.

IcyTea
TricMagic: Neutral, cop claim at the beginning is interesting.
Nobody has claimed cop. Repeating someone else's misconception without checking it yourself is very weak play.
Ahem.

Cop claim in this game would be as soon as I have information.
TricMagic's words. Not mine. He said "as soon as I have information." I doubt someone else would claim cop if TricMagic had information; it doesn't make sense at all.

Voting someone for reasons other than believing their lynch leads you towards your wincon is highly unsportsmanlike.
Which is why I didn't act on my temptations.

"The scum are so skilled at acting townish, I won't even try to find them."
I'm pretty sure what I said means "activity doesn't factor in how I scumteam or townread a person" but OK.

Vote to lynch someone today, then the power roles do their work overnights. I'd rather the power roles go for anyone other than you and ICT; I won't specify who because I'd like them to spread over the players. Mass claims can happen as early as Day 2 and we should make the best use of it.
This is a very complacent plan for the most part except the first. How will you decide who to vote to lynch today? Your current vote is a pressure vote (assuming based on that it has little concrete backing).
How is it complacent? Vote by day, use power roles by night; make the most use out of day and night. Who to lynch is mostly decided on if dolores can convince me that either lynching them is a bad idea or lynching someone else is good; if the former is reached then the lynch would be one of the neutrals.

Considering the similarities of our play, why have you put me at the top and dolores at the bottom of your read list? Your primary argument seems to be emotional based on dolores' insulting and obstinate behaviour (even though they're pretty par for the course on obstinacy in my opinion).
For dolores: At the time of writing this list: power dodging, not answering my question, and this thing with the rolefishing. As for you, you resonate better with me and do ask and inquire on what I say.

Questorhank: Neutral, hasn't posted much, but has noted dolores' "are you a vanilla townie?" trick question.
Why is it important that they noted it?
Possible rolefishing. Rather than ask if Hank is town, they ask if Hank is vanilla town. I'm wary about that question because it seems an attempt to either narrow down the list of possible power roles or nail one.

It's fine to leave a half-baked posts hanging for a while while you tend to real life, as long as you actually finish them later. The point is to spend time playing and make the game part of your day; taking a prescribed number of prescribed-length breaks to play is just an exaggerated example of how you could do that.
You have a point. I should consider that.

Code: [Select]
> os.delete("real_life.py")

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2019, 12:38:52 am »

Nobody has claimed cop. Repeating someone else's misconception without checking it yourself is very weak play.
Ahem.
Cop claim in this game would be as soon as I have information.
TricMagic's words. Not mine. He said "as soon as I have information." I doubt someone else would claim cop if TricMagic had information; it doesn't make sense at all.
Oh gee, I wonder was the previous post before that one was? (the only other post in the game)
kingasume Questorhank IonMatrix
Tricmagic why'd you feel the need to make this a seperate post
Bottom of the page Superdorf.  For future reference.
instead of including it in an actual post like you'd expect someone to do. Were you not intending on posting straight away even though the game has started and you're here?
kingasume Questorhank IonMatrix  assuming you're the cop, are you the type of person to try and softclaim cop on D1? Assuming you're noncop town, are you the type of perso nto try to softclaim cop on D1?
Incidentally, Tric never actually answered the question that was directed towards him. But it's easy to see how he interpreted the king|Qh|IM question as directed at him and how his answer relates to that.
I really don't like your continuous, insistent harping on trying to misinterpret one thing the player who abjectly refuses to play the game the most said. There's a legit real case on TricMagic. This ain't it. It almost reads like you feel like you're obligated to lie about what's going on in the game.
I'm pretty sure what I said means "activity doesn't factor in how I scumteam or townread a person" but OK.
That's what ICT said as well, yeah. "Showing an interest in player's alignments doesn't factor in how I scumteam or townread a person", because measures like that are useless when scum can just pretend to do the same thing as town, right?
You don't just get to throw out a method of finding scum/town just because it doesn't conform to your preconceived attempt to get a stronger player lynched. It's pretty obvious you understand how important it is that you maintain activity given that the moment someone put pressure on you you tripled the amount of content you had in the game. Unfortunately, that activity doesn't reflect as much of an interest in players alignments as it should. You're certainly sitting prettier than you were a day or two ago.
How is it complacent? Vote by day, use power roles by night; make the most use out of day and night. Who to lynch is mostly decided on if dolores can convince me that either lynching them is a bad idea or lynching someone else is good; if the former is reached then the lynch would be one of the neutrals.
Complacency emphasised. Lynching a neutral player doesn't generally make it any easier to find scum. There's a real and high chance that there's no cop or the cop dies(roughly ~50% on a mislynch but imo cops are more likely to get lynched D1 because they have priviledged information they don't want to divulge and an interest in the nightgame, and therefore look like scum). What's your plan if you kill a neutral read and go into D2 with the only power role dead from lynch/nightkill? Just gonna throw up your hands and random lynch?
You don't even have a case against me, which is a shame because you could have had one if you'd read my posts. Of course, that would require you to actually read my posts and direct the town's attention to them, but I guess that would require you to care about (my|hector's|icytea's) alignment which you seem to find hard to do.
this thing with the rolefishing
Finally, a real attempt to look into the sordid parts of my posts.
Unfortunately, you tacked it on the end of an artificial lynch attempt, so no town points for you for finally bringing it up. There's a more if you read my longer posts (or my first post, lmao), if you legit real can't shift your gut feeling and want to root around for an actual case to push on me that would be the place to start.
Now, I know what I'm doing and will be able to defend my honor, but that would only benefit the both of us if you were town. Unfortunately, you're probably not.
Possible rolefishing.
Right, but why is it important that Questorhank noted the question? The read on the Qh is not the inverse of the read on dolores, my dude.
Rather than ask if Hank is town, they ask if Hank is vanilla town. I'm wary about that question because it seems an attempt to either narrow down the list of possible power roles or nail one.
It's funny, because I still haven't bothered going through the thread to try to intuit out the PRs and I fullclaimed in my first post and maintained that position, but nobody seems to care.
I asked if he was vanilla town because if you don't answer 'yes' or 'go fuck yourself, rolefishing scum' or something along those lines D1, you're either happy to straight up lie as town (100% acceptable and legit, but it tells me what sort of play to expect [from Qh, the player I have zero meta-information on]) or your priorities are misaligned. In that exchange, Qh both claims VT and then claims that they don't want to be nightkilled, despite the fact that every VT should want to be nightkilled to protect the power roles. That's a very suspicious position, it shows that you're thinking about your own survival and not what the town needs to win. Unless Qh can clear up his position, there's the beginnings of an extremely strong case right there.

Rereading the post, the thing Qh made a note of and never followed up on was my fullclaim, not that I was rolefishing.

I'm going to go get hammerred and slip into a coma. You probably won't see me again D1. Vote's staying on hector because I can imagine pooka stepping up but I can't imagine someone replacing in and unwinding the case on hector. No opportunistic Tricmagic lynches so we don't have to deal with his shit D2, unfortunately.
Pooka this is why people aren't active on weekends

Questorhank please post before the end of D1

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2019, 08:25:07 am »

Incidentally, Tric never actually answered the question that was directed towards him. But it's easy to see how he interpreted the king|Qh|IM question as directed at him and how his answer relates to that.
I really don't like your continuous, insistent harping on trying to misinterpret one thing the player who abjectly refuses to play the game the most said. There's a legit real case on TricMagic. This ain't it. It almost reads like you feel like you're obligated to lie about what's going on in the game.
In a game where nearly everyone is quoting the player who asked the question they're answering, it's easy for what TricMagic said to look out of context. I did that mistake last game and got appropriately lectured for it. You win this one.

That's what ICT said as well, yeah. "Showing an interest in player's alignments doesn't factor in how I scumteam or townread a person", because measures like that are useless when scum can just pretend to do the same thing as town, right?
You don't just get to throw out a method of finding scum/town just because it doesn't conform to your preconceived attempt to get a stronger player lynched. It's pretty obvious you understand how important it is that you maintain activity given that the moment someone put pressure on you you tripled the amount of content you had in the game. Unfortunately, that activity doesn't reflect as much of an interest in players alignments as it should. You're certainly sitting prettier than you were a day or two ago.
I'm pretty sure my activity spiked because...I wanted to play the game I signed up for, not because pressure. Had I been in better health, I'd have actually posted more even, with or without pressure. But if your issue is in that I don't have an interest in alignments (which I clearly must have shown since I took the time to make that reads list), the color tag with the "red" property is there. Use it instead of the "blue" property.

Complacency emphasised. Lynching a neutral player doesn't generally make it any easier to find scum. There's a real and high chance that there's no cop or the cop dies(roughly ~50% on a mislynch but imo cops are more likely to get lynched D1 because they have priviledged information they don't want to divulge and an interest in the nightgame, and therefore look like scum). What's your plan if you kill a neutral read and go into D2 with the only power role dead from lynch/nightkill? Just gonna throw up your hands and random lynch?
I thought policy lynches were the norm when you don't have good cases? I thought you said the activity of the neutrals would get them lynched in normal games? Also I don't know, there's enough info to start D2 with? The D1 lynch wagon and its development is a good place to start. Finding who interacted with the nightkill the Day prior and asking them is another good idea. Geez.

You don't even have a case against me, which is a shame because you could have had one if you'd read my posts. Of course, that would require you to actually read my posts and direct the town's attention to them, but I guess that would require you to care about (my|hector's|icytea's) alignment which you seem to find hard to do.
I do have some points against you, but apparently you don't think I do, which is fine I guess.

Rereading first few posts for the heck of it...

Rather than ask if Hank is town, they ask if Hank is vanilla town. I'm wary about that question because it seems an attempt to either narrow down the list of possible power roles or nail one.
It's funny, because I still haven't bothered going through the thread to try to intuit out the PRs and I fullclaimed in my first post and maintained that position, but nobody seems to care.
I asked if he was vanilla town because if you don't answer 'yes' or 'go fuck yourself, rolefishing scum' or something along those lines D1, you're either happy to straight up lie as town (100% acceptable and legit, but it tells me what sort of play to expect [from Qh, the player I have zero meta-information on]) or your priorities are misaligned. In that exchange, Qh both claims VT and then claims that they don't want to be nightkilled, despite the fact that every VT should want to be nightkilled to protect the power roles. That's a very suspicious position, it shows that you're thinking about your own survival and not what the town needs to win. Unless Qh can clear up his position, there's the beginnings of an extremely strong case right there.
First, as you say yourself, Questorhank doesn't even know your meta to properly deduce what role you claimed as. Good luck for me to figure that out. You know what, fine. I'll suffer through your posts tonight while I wait for sleep to come over. I'm feeling better than the last few days, and I will put that to good use.

Back to the main point, you don't have to go through the thread to figure out the PRs if you're already asking the questions. In this case, you got Questorhank to reveal he's a VT. As scum, you're happy about this development, reducing the list of kill targets down to 6 instead of 7. I don't agree with him readily handing you out the answer, but how do you suggest he become the nightkill as vanilla town, while ALSO not being the lynch of the Day? How does he achieve this balance? If a jailkeeper exists, does he claim cop and have the jailkeeper protect him without giving us any returns the following Day? After all, if he fools the scum to believe he is the cop, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume he can fool the jailkeeper.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2019, 05:04:24 pm »

Quote from: Final votecount
Not voting: Naturegir1999, Pooka, Questorhank

dolores: TricMagic (1)
hector13: dolores, IonMatrix, IcyTea31 (3)
Naturegirl1999: hector13 (1)
TricMagic: kingawsume (1)

Votes to extend: ---

Day One ends on 2019-10-12 18:00 EST.
The day has ended.

hector13 has been lynched!
hector13 was a Possessed Thin Man.

Quote from: Possessed Thin Man ('Role Cop' Mafia)
You are the perfected form of the "thin man", a reptilian species undergoing heavy genetic modification to infiltrate and sabotage the human populace.  Unlike many of your brethren, you blend in seamlessly with humans, a feature which made you perfect for the most important job of all: bringing down XCOM.

When the base was evacuated, XCOM made a crucial mistake.  The device you used to contact the Elders was mixed in with other equipment and brought to the new site, and with everything in disarray now is the perfect time to strike.  Unfortunately, you have both been caught up in a sweep to find the traitors within XCOM, sequestered away in a locked section of the base until your guilt can be determined.  If enough of them were to die, though, perhaps you might find an opening to sneak away.

To aid in your task, an Elder, one of the psionic overlords of the Ethereal Collective, put you through an excruciating regimen of psionic augmentation.  Against all odds you survived, and came out the other side with minor psionic powers not possessed by any other of your kind.  The direct link forged between you and your patron allows you to, with a great deal of time and concentration, detect psionics in others, a trait that may very well come in handy in the coming days.

You are Mafia. You have access to the shared night kill of your faction. Each night you can inspect another player to learn their role. You may talk privately with your ally [In a secret topic held on Quicktopic.com which will be visible to only you and your ally.]

Win Condition: You win when the TOWN faction has equal or less players than your faction!

Night One has begun. It will end on 2019-10-16 18:00 EST. Please send your actions.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2019, 05:17:03 pm »

kingawsume has been killed!
kingawsume was an XCOM Operative.

Quote from: XCOM Operative ('Vanilla' Town)
You are an XCOM soldier, recently recruited into the clandestine organization.  Like the other recruits, you represent the best of the entire world, all gathered into an elite strike force dedicated to combating alien black ops.  When the assault came, you fought to hold the line, barely making it out with your life.

Unfortunately, your recent recruitment has cast doubt on your loyalty to the cause.  Orders came down from the top, isolating you and eight other recruits in a sealed off wing of the new base.  There's food, water, and rooms to sleep in, but if there really are traitors among you, then none of you have any time to waste...

You are Town.

Win Condition: You win when all members of the Mafia faction have been eliminated.

Day Two has begun.

Quote from: Votecount
Not voting: dolores, IcyTea31, IonMatrix, Naturegir1999, Pooka, Questorhank, TricMagic

Votes to extend: ---

Day One ends on 2019-10-19 18:00 EST.
Extension is available, requiring 3 votes.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2019, 05:25:00 pm »

I am dead. Not big soup rice.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2019, 06:54:49 am »

dolores: have you managed to do anything during the night?
ICT: given hector is scum, who do you think is his scumbuddy?
Naturegirl: assume you're the remaining scum, what are your motives for offing kingawsume?
IonMatrix: what is your plan for Day 2?
QuestorHank: do you think it is now time to claim while we're only dealing with 1 scum?
TricMagic: if ICT were scum, would he play the way he did this game?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2019, 07:17:23 am »

Naturegirl: assume you're the remaining scum, what are your motives for offing kingawsume?
If I were scum, killing kingawsume might be because he posted not enough to be a smokescreen, but still answering questions and might give information if left alive

Pooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2019, 07:45:58 am »

If I were scum, killing kingawsume might be because he posted not enough to be a smokescreen, but still answering questions and might give information if left alive
Suppose he was left alive. What kind of information would he give that you would feel the need to kill him? Or let me rephrase the original question.
Why did the scum go for kingawsume and not TricMagic or IonMatrix?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:30 am »

Maybe since Tricmage and Ionmatrix didn't post as often or didn't answer as many questions? Maybe since TricMage and Ionmatrix were seen as suspicious? Maybe Tricmage and Ionmatrix are the scum?

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2019, 09:51:09 am »

dolores: have you managed to do anything during the night?
Nah, I didn't lie about my claim
tbh I'd just been rocking along with the assumption that this game was dead. 4-5 players + hector weren't playing, host disappeared for two days, 3 players literally didn't vote on D1
I didn't read through NG's previous game (were they were scum) to get a meta comparison or anything responsible like that
I actually read through TBYOR4 because this game was giving me ptsd flashbacks to that, but I was actually thinking of the wrong game because (up until the hiatus) all the problems with this game were 0% superdorf's fault
This is more like BM61 (which I linked earlier) where despite finding both scum half way through D1, I went out because 3/7 of the players in the game (incidentally, 3/5 of the town) weren't playing and there was nothing left to do since you can't convince someone who literally isn't on the forum to vote for scum
Unfortunately, it's not nessecarily the case here that the players who are active are the scum players
TricMagic: if ICT were scum, would he play the way he did this game?
scum!ICT would have a high chance of being fucked if we rolled a cop and he lynched hector D1, plus (and this is way more important) I just don't think he's scum

Look, here's the problem:
With 3/7 players totally inactive and the game relegated to the shadowrealm by hostile mod activity, I don't have any real interest here. I'm not exactly known for sticking around in dead games and I certainly don't have any intention of improving my reputation
Here are basically my reads:
dolores itsa me, dollario
IcyTea31 not only is he very likely town, there's a double bind in effect wherein I can't justify going after him for poor play after this because he's probably as disinterested as I am and I wouldn't be surprised if they never post again. Guilty inspect or bust if you want to talk me into lynching icytea. I've covered this earlier and it hasn't really changed
Pooka sustained activity, decent engagement, most disagreements have arisen from their having an different culture/viewpoint and not reading my posts. I really don't like that you haven't read the posts about myself/ICT because that's how you should be divining our alignment, and I really, really don't like that you thought a case on me would be appropriate without having read all of all my posts, but I can imagine that someone would do that and it almost makes it seem more likely that you believed in the case if you didn't think that you needed to look through my posts for material. Unfortunately, the case was based on nothing, but that is what it is.
QuestorHank either the cop or scum, but cripplingly anti-town either way. Simply hasn't posted and isn't active, so there's no way to tell. Looked concerned about not dying as opposed to finding scum during RVS, though.
Naturegirl playing way too conservatively, super questionable thought process. I'll follow up on this below. Relatively active and engaged with the game though.
Ionmatrix basically totally inactive, besides voting for a player because they went out (!). That that player happened to actually be scum is the only saving grace here, given that they have next to no other content. Actually feels like they're following the game and should 'know better' though.
Tricmagic really just the worst, posting everywhere but in the thread, calls dolls skells like some sort of plebian scum, zero questions or interest in the game but willing to try to throw around ultimatums about the lynch like they're not the player the most in need to being made not alive

Naturegirl
I don't really like how, uh, conservative your play is. I feel like you don't show a strong interest in other player's alignments which is the definitive scumtell, but you're present enough to suggest that you could. You're also playing very similarly to in vanilla tea mafia, wherein you were scum.
What do you think about Pooka? Particularly, how do you feel about their case on me, or the fact that it fell through. How do you feel about their 'case' on tricmagic?  Does it concern you that they seem to be going after players without any good quoted reasons?
I'd also like a general reads list from you, since I don't think you've done anything to really generate content from other players or put out very much at all about how you're thinking.
IcyTea
How do you feel about naturegirl?

TricMagic
Ionmatrix
Questorhank
Any of you actually planning on playing the game? Anything you want to claim?
Any reason we shouldn't just lynch down this list with our two mislynches + lylo since none of you have given us anything to work with to determine your alignment?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 6! [Day 2]
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2019, 10:10:44 am »

I don't like how Pooka tried cases without many reasons for those cases. You and ICT are very engaged, so I'm thinking both of you are town. Not sure about the rest, though

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: Not-So-Beginner Mafia 6! [Day 2]
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2019, 11:58:01 am »

I don't like how Pooka tried cases without many reasons for those cases. You and ICT are very engaged, so I'm thinking both of you are town. Not sure about the rest, though
"Not sure about the rest though" isn't really good enough. Articulate why. Explain to me why you don't know the alignment of other players. Surely, if you were town, it would be your first priority to find out.
Is pooka scum? What alignment is TricMagic? What are the rest of your reads?
Why don't you ask any questions? Why do your posts always look like they're tweets? Where is your reads list?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15