Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop. 1500 Megafort  (Read 2849 times)

Bobiloco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pop. 1500 Megafort
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:18:59 pm »

The Mighty Dwarf Fortress Lashmoistens!

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14559

<< There are some SPOILERS in this saved game file so be warned! >>

This fortress is into its 22nd year and has just hit the 1500 population milestone. This hasn't been so much a hardcore fort as much as a project in FPS management and automation. I've used dfhack quite a bit in this game and the whole thing would not have been possible without quicksave, cleanall, fillneeds and fastdwarf. And Therapist of course.

In terms of population I've recently cut off visitors to the fort as the babies are really starting to ramp up. With so many bodies running around I think that most of the lag comes from dwarf collisions but I've erased any pathing I've done as it hasn't shown me to make much of an impact.

I'm out of iron and candy, have hundreds of legendary warriors, retired, and new recruits with epic weapons and master-crafted suits of armor. Vast bustling libraries, famous inns and a temple for all of the gods that can be worshiped. The dwarves have conquered the depths, bested enemies by the thousands, sent armies to enslave far off territories and curated a museum of their greatest artifacts from the beautiful to the profane.

These days the armies of the elves continue to throw themselves against our gates. Through petitions, we ourselves have hundreds of them as citizens hanging around the fort plus a dozen goblins that pitch in here and there. I've got lots of named animals and a bunch of monsters in cages that are ready for pitting.

I do have a nemesis out in the world! A great tortoise demon that has killed many of my warriors through the years. I still hope he'll turn up in an invading army because I can't seem to take him out on his home turf. Of all the conflicts so far, probably the best thing I've seen in the log was:" The King has blocked the dragonfire! "

I've had my fair share disasters and have needed to reload a seasonal backup or two. The worst one was when half the fort became necromancers and suddenly decided to reanimate the corpse fields with everything turning on everything else at the same time. It might have taken months to calculate the ensuing melee.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Pop. 1500 Megafort
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 06:42:35 pm »

Oh, few extra notes here.(First posted reddit thread as reference for others)

I'm out of iron and candy

Well, almost out. You could obsidianize the remaining bits in magma sea to keep for moods, though at 2 FPS it would take a small eternity to access.

" The King has blocked the dragonfire! "
And that makes me think of legislative blocking.

I've had my fair share disasters and have needed to reload a seasonal backup or two. The worst one was when half the fort became necromancers and suddenly decided to reanimate the corpse fields with everything turning on everything else at the same time. It might have taken months to calculate the ensuing melee.
Oh wow, that started off bad and turned worse. Also, inside or outside months?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:01 pm »

frankly I didn't think 1500 was possible. That's amazing!!

You mention a fully-trained army, stocked libraries and numerous outside adventures, are these game mechanics still fairly rewarding at such a slow pace of play? Where was the most fun to be had in the building of this fortress (and I mean the dictionary definition of fun, not the !!FUN!! kind of fun)?

Bobiloco

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 05:29:49 pm »

I really pulled back on the outside quest stuff because it was the most unstable part of the game. Sending guys off that don't come back ( which cause the rest of the squad to stop accepting commands ) or else crashes whenenver certain people come back ( carrying things? I don't know .. ) just wasn't worth the effort if I had to wait a week IRL for them to come back and then go back to an old save.

Still, it was great to piss off the two elven civs and have them send their armies at me all the time. Good bang for the buck. The first armies actually had a great range of critters that would show up with the elves but now it is mostly horses and coati. Also finding the invulnerable demons in the main goblin cities that would take out dozens of my super decked-out lords was neat to see.

I'm kinda watching the library stuff ramp up now as that's about the only thing that is really changing over time. Visitors showed up with knowledge in certain areas and I'm seeing what happens when there are dozens of scholars and scribes and how fast they can teach everyone else through the books. I thought the first library I built was going to be big enough but it turned into a mosh pit so now I've got five or six chambers so that they spread out a bit.

Otherwise it is a long-term learning experience in FPS management. Some stuff matters, some doesn't. I've learned some new DFHack tricks along the way which has been rewarding for sure.

The biggest bummer was the tantrum spirals even when I've done everything I can think of ( except for communal showers ) to keep them happy. It kinda sucks to have to rely on Fillneeds -all to keep the ship righted but it's a cheaty fort so no big deal.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 08:24:43 pm »

This is the second or third time I've seen mentions of raid bugs. I'm saddened by this, but I know it will be fixed in the future. So for now I'll just run regular cities and put my world conquest plans on hold.

Maikcollos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 01:22:12 am »

you can fix squads that have been lost by unassigning every vacant place as if there were still dwarves on it and reassigning them

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 07:01:56 am »

Have you thought about turning them into vampries and walling them in 1x1 rooms? I once reached 500 pop with 100 fps that way.