Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best ambusher/dodger/slasher race/build+Any reccomendations?  (Read 3082 times)

Omemega The seal

• Bay Watcher
  • If you are bleeding Seal will end your living
    • View Profile
Best ambusher/dodger/slasher race/build+Any reccomendations?
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:24:43 am »

Simply,I would like to know whatīs the best race/build,since i want to know if i am doing it right,i have been playing and having Lots of !fun! since quite some time,but i am new here,so i would like some recommendations to go throug the forum,also donīt know if this goes here,sorry for bad english btw.
Seals are just OP!,*Flops away*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Best ambusher/dodger/slasher race/build+Any reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 05:59:06 pm »

Not much difference between the main races, humans are average, the dwarves are small and strong, the elves are small and fast, and the goblins are small and cruel.

If you want to cheese a bit choose a big animal person.
Don't worry much about the main stats, just remember to use the correct weapon skill and either fighter/archer when building your character, since the relevant skills are all trained by use.

Except archer. You can just throw pebbles at a tree for a year and be god-like.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Omemega The seal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 06:49:48 am »

Or wrestle an Half dead Elk for 2 days straight

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 06:53:34 am »

That's the spirit!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Omemega The seal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 07:08:37 am »

And becoming a vampire,Also,is there any bad thing about becoming a vampire?

Omemega The seal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 07:12:19 am »

and,what is a total conversion mod?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 12:15:05 pm »

Simply,I would like to know whatīs the best race/build,since i want to know if i am doing it right,i have been playing and having Lots of !fun! since quite some time,but i am new here,so i would like some recommendations to go throug the forum,also donīt know if this goes here,sorry for bad english btw.

If you need the highest nighttime/underground/bad weather view range (max is 25 tiles), dwarf is the only choice (kobolds if playable are too weak and squishy).

This is apt if your character needs to see a giant cave spider underground before it sees you, or you want total freedom as an archer.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 12:18:39 pm »

Also in regard to ambushing, visual stealth matters most, and this is affected by size. So here human sizes and up are not helpful, nor are any large sized dwarf/elf/goblin.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 05:08:37 am »

Just go with your average Dwarf.
Make sure he is not dragging all kind of needs from starting screen.
I set up mine just with crafting need and something alike needs, so simple sharpening of a stone makes him happy for 2 days straight.
Use the guides and macros(how to use macros is in wiki) to fast skill him.
If target is small enough, legendary axedwarf can one-shot the head off the body.
I went through 1000 trolls with their heads sliced sliced off each time.
Don't run. Just jump and dodge.
If you can just skip time with ".", so you lose tiredness and you can fight fresh way way longer.
When facing tough large opponent, dodge away always first, unless target just moved up to you, then scratch.
Nothing fancy, just scratch.
Make their cloths and armor fall off.
Try hitting the head with axe, if it doesn't work start working their fingers/ears instead of hands/legs.
Once all fingers are gone, leg is disabled.
Dealing with slowpokes is way more easy then with agile opponents, as there dodging, jumping and "." will be majority of moves.

Even toughest cookie in Dark Tower should fall your prey in 30 mins of evasive "scratching kitty with an ax" dancing.
Just take notice, my approximation of 30 mins is for 4ghz cpus.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 06:11:36 am »

I'm not sure if dwarves still get in martial trances, but if they do, they're broken.

Intelligent wilderness creatures are great too, if you want to experience new mechanics like flying or using your horns to gore people. My favourite so far is Rhino Man, strong AF and speaks with no issues, just remember to take someone that can actually speak :)
Dabbling Overseer

AshTheTiefling

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Artist, Adequate Modder, Necromancer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 10:41:55 pm »

I second animal people as a choice, more specifically bird people, my favourite race to play as is a great horned owl person. (Unfortunately birds are a bit limited, I had to go into the raws and mod in night vision for the owls.) Flying is a great asset, and if you need to quickly escape, you can just go up two Z levels, only ranged enemies can attack you there. Bird people are also absolutely tiny, which helps in stealth.

And becoming a vampire,Also,is there any bad thing about becoming a vampire?

YES! Becoming a vampire doubles your stats, and you don't get exhausted or need to sleep. I love playing as a vampire, it's awesome! You can also stack it with necromancer and mist zombie, (in that order.) which is an extra reason to play as one!
You know what was happening? The terrifying master, nearly maxed all combat skills, was hitting me with some copper earring. Over and over. It took it few days, but he managed to beat me with copper earring.
Welcome to... Megabeast Park! *Raaawr!*