Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is a kicker adventurer viable?  (Read 3670 times)

tequinhu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is a kicker adventurer viable?
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:41:32 pm »

Hi all, first post here.

I'm brazillian and I practice Capoeira, a brazillian martial art where you use mostly your feet to kick your opponents (kinda' like a dance). Another characteristic of this martial art is the use of the "Berimbau", a one-stringed instrument played while two people fight.
So here are my plans, I want to create a capoeirist adventurer, and here is what I thought for the rules:
1. The adventurer must play a stringed instrument (if it has only one string is better, but not necessary).
2. The adventurer must fight primarily with kicks.
3, No armor allowed, no weapons too (only if there could be a weapon like a razor).
4. The adventurer must fight from the ground (this one is optional).

So, onto my questions, does my adventurer have a chance of getting success? I'm well aware of Kisat Dur and its powers, but I really wanted to do a kicker adventurer (who can spread his histories through the music). Should I be a dwarf or a human (or maybe some kind of animal man)? I kind of don't want to edit the raws since I'm a newbie and don't know how to do so.
Thanks in advance.
PS: Sorry for any gramactical errors, as I said I'm brazillian and english isn't my main language

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is a kicker adventurer viable?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:46 pm »

Welcome to the forum!

Humans are larger than dwarves, and have the added benefit of being faster. Elves are faster still, and if they are available, goblins tire out more slowly than all three and don't need to eat or drink. You might also want to consider playing as an animal man. Some are much larger than a human and will make much better use of kicking. They often have trouble finding clothing and armor that fits, but if you don't intend to use armor that shouldn't be a problem. This list might be useful to you if you want to play as an animal man.

Depending on your definition of weapon, there may still be things you can wield. Shields and bucklers can be used to attack as well as defend, and their usefulness cannot be overstated. Also, it's worth remembering that your stringed instrument can serve as a percussion instrument when applied to an enemy's skull.

I don't recommend fighting from the ground, though. When you are on the ground, you move and attack far more slowly than you would otherwise. You would find that enemies attack more often and you would exhaust yourself much faster avoiding their attacks. Even if you were wearing armor, your adventurer's journey would be quite short if you fought like that exclusively.

The idea of a martial arts musician is pretty solid. You may have some trouble with armored enemies and larger creatures, but if you can dodge reliably and avoid exhausting yourself, your chances are about as good as anyone else's. If you decide not to take a shield, you'll want to avoid dragons, because you'll have no way to avoid their breath attack.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:49:21 pm »

I mean, I assume you could hypothetically face a dragon without a shield, but you'd first want to soak up a lot lot lot of dodging XP.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

SpaceMetal

• Bay Watcher
  • Short scrawny creature fond of drink and laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 12:15:09 am »

Cool idea! If you'd like to spread your kicker adventurer's fame, though, you should tell stories about your deeds as well as play a stringed instrument. Your character won't be listed as a potential historical figure to tell stories about, but you can tell stories about yourself if you find the place where the event happened on the Site or Region sections of the storytelling menu. It's a lot easier than finding events in the regular dialogue menu!

Also, welcome to the forums. We don't bite, though our adventurers often do.
SpaceMetal likes silver, sapphire, alpaca wool yarn, maple trees for their autumn coloration, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume cow cheese, goat cheese, cherries, and wine. She absolutely detests bats.

tequinhu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:38:34 am »

Tank you! I think I will try it when I get back home, probably being a big animal man until I get better at the combat.
Then it shall retire and create an academy where new adventurers can train and learn, being the master of this new art form. (Dunno how I will do this,  maybe a themed fortress)
Anyway, I can predict lots of *fun* before anyone can actually kick his enemies to death (since kicks are so slow).

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:52:52 am »

I've had kick-only adventurers before, it's definitely doable. I had to eventually abandon kicking only for misc weapons to deal with giants and titans, though, because I couldn't kick through their skulls. I think now, if you have a lot of endurance, you can probably overexert them and then curb stomp them to death.

Should be a pretty interesting run for you.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 11:50:13 pm »

The problem with kicks is mostly speed. A good basic strategy is running away like a coward and dropping your speed as the enemy starts to tire so you're only ever going a little bit faster than them. By doing this they'll be on the verge of collapse when you decide to give them the fight they're after. At that point the battle's half over, they're tired, you're not, now you kick the shit out of them. 

The key is going to be multiattacking. By using quick kicks and dodging away as part of the same action you get around some slowness that makes kicks unattractive and make it very hard for the enemy to land a hit on you.  if you do that long enough to build your skills and you can survive long enough to get a lucky headshot you will eventually knock out any enemy who is capable of being rendered unconscious after which it's just a matter of stomping them into pain sauce. If you don't consider it cheating to use a shield I see no reason why you couldn't go dragon slaying with your feet.

If you want to fight on the ground I strongly recommend you exhaust them first. Slowing down is one of the easiest ways to begin a hurt spiral.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 04:19:50 pm »

Yeah, you can run a kicker. As Broseph Stalin mentioned, you'd definitely use Multiattack.

Thematically/simulation-wise Quick Attack + Dodge-away is footwork counter-strike outside fighter oriented and you could imagine it as a dance.

If you want your character to fight off his/her back, as if you were a bjj guard player, you can mimic guard retention just by regripping (if uarmed you have 10 grips O_o). But to consistently and successfully negotiate strikes while pinned to the tile you are on, you'll either need a high enough Dodger skill to kill the opponent's Roll-to-Hit, or a Shield were they to make the Roll-to-Hit, requiring you to make a Roll-to-Block.

Because you are engaged in wrestling/gripped up, you are fixed to the tile you are on, removing your character's defensive Roll-to-Dodge option.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 10:35:22 am »

Kickers are not only viable, but for most average sized creatures I would say some levels in kicking skill is even desirable. With decent enough strength you break necks like matchsticks. Most fun I usually have in adv mode is making wrestler/striker mains and strategically planning combat - manual dodges are kinda broken for this. As long as your speed is decent and you can analyse your opponent there's a lot of potential to never take damage.
Dabbling Overseer

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 04:27:48 pm »

Damage can be cumulative, as in keep punching/kicking the same bodypart until it collapses resulting in a kill which works for all organics and every non-metal inorganic.

Or you could play the suffocation game for organics. Damage to upper spine, or bruising both lungs will begin a suffocation countdown. Sideness is a sorta 3D feature of DF. You can right kick hoping for left lung damage, and then left kick for right lung. It's not super exact by any means, but it does work.