Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 113937 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:09:29 am »

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is a turn-based survival game set in a post-apocalyptic world. Struggle to survive in a harsh, persistent, procedurally generated world. Scavenge the remnants of a dead civilization for food, equipment, or, if you are lucky, a vehicle with a full tank of gas to get you the hell out of Dodge. Fight to defeat or escape from a wide variety of powerful monstrosities, from zombies to giant insects to killer robots and things far stranger and deadlier, and against the others like yourself, that want what you have…

Hey everybody! The last thread made it 452 pages, with many a rollercoaster of emotions. As the thread maintainer had left, and I'm a developer on Cataclysm and still hang out around here, it seemed logical for me to start up a new thread. I and some of the other CDDA devs will try to post our current projects in here, and it's also just a general place to discuss CDDA.

You can download the current release of CDDA on the website. If you're new to the game, we recommend starting with the Stable version (0.D at the time of this writing, probably advancing to 0.E sometime in early 2020).

I'll see if I can find a way to post Curstwist's excellent weekly changelogs in here now and again, or at least the highlights.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:17:58 am »

As some folks know, the biggest drama in our game right now is that a number of our tilesets had come under copyright concern and were removed to avoid any potential problems. The community has really banded together to make a few new sets; my own is the Ultica tileset, which is a few scripts and a bit of legwork from being ready for an in-game beta.

The alpha version looks like this if you catch it on a good map, or like this on a bad one. Of course, a really bad map still would just be filler tiles; I haven't gotten far in labs or underground yet.

I did just spend a chunk of my evening channeling the seventies and eighties to paint walls and make gross looking carpet though.

When I'm actively developing instead of drawing, I'm one of the developers most involved in lore writing, npc dialogue, and mapping. Until the tileset fiasco I was on a bit of a hiatus for work though, so most of the newest maps and dialogue are not me. The refugee center is probably where most of my work shows up.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 01:18:24 am »

The carpet reminds me of old office carpet.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:28:27 am »

Welp,  time for the obligatory post to watch, and I guess mod updates. I've added a handful of misc QoL ideas to MST Extra, and a few arcana updates here and there. Korg has done some interesting work, more features to tinker with than I've had time or energy...

And as noted, your tileset work looks interesting so far, Erk!
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 04:32:29 am »

0.Doge is out, right?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:11:00 am »

Good morning, new thread. What wonders shall we discover together?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:53:45 am »

0.Doge is out, right?

Yep it's been out since spring. 0.E is more done than not, we could move to feature freeze + bug fix any time. I think we're waiting for a few things, like having a tileset and stuff

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 10:16:10 am »

Posting to watch!
Love, scriver~

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 11:25:52 am »

Also Posting to Watch.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:57 pm »

Hoping for more drama tbh, not going to start any, it's just fun to read

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:24:55 pm »

Hoping for more drama tbh, not going to start any, it's just fun to read

It's pretty inevitable, there are two definite camps of people playing this game. Although I still hold that the best solution would be for someone with an interest to take over managing a cyberpunk content mod.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 01:52:16 pm »

PTW.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 02:21:05 pm »

That's great (ptw).

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 02:56:41 pm »

Although I still hold that the best solution would be for someone with an interest to take over managing a cyberpunk content mod.
The problem is that most people with enough interest to maintain a project like this already got their own projects. Who's going to want to work on a large content mod for Cataclysm, when they could be working on their own dream roguelike?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 03:25:30 pm »

Very true. I mean, that's basically our answer when people want the devs to maintain cdda as a cyberpunk transhumanism game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57