Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Free game sites?  (Read 1529 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Free game sites?
« on: September 28, 2020, 04:43:07 pm »

Recently, I remembered a bunch of sites I used to visit ages ago, including Acidplay and Hippogames. Quality was wildly inconsistent, but it was very interesting to see the results of the experiments of hobbyists mixed in with babby's first Gamemaker clicker. You could find some very creative things, whether they were terrible or actually fun.

I was wondering if any sites like this are still up. For reference, I don't mean flash games and webgames, and I don't mean piracy or F2P games with extra fees. I'm thinking more like Newgrounds, but for downloaded games.

I know of itch.io, but it has a much more commercial focus than what I'm looking for.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free game sites?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:47:50 pm »

I think a lot of those were flash games. I haven't seen anything similar for janky Unity games. Even RPG maker games sell for $1-2 anymore.

Itch.io's free section is probably your best bet. 2000:1 was a great free game I played off there recently.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 07:42:53 pm »

Gamemaker and Unity forums and related sites might have a few amateur games to download and play. Itch.io probably still has the most amateur games in their free section and in-dev sections.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:44:11 pm »

I mean, those sites still exist, but it's a different culture of game dev now. People passionate enough to make interesting, free games aren't attracted to the 'mass free flash game' style website.

Armorgames is still online, though who knows what kind of strange things you might find on there. Probably a lot of rehashed concepts. There's a lot of free games on mobile now, too, and I'm guessing it has a much larger share of game dev than desktop these days, at least for the category of 'simple but entertaining' style games. I figure anyone with a desktop has their choice of unique and investment-worthy AAA titles, or high-production quality indie.

Honestly, good riddance. The space has opened up greatly for people to create interesting things, and I cringe thinking of all the time I wasted on random tower defense games that were all kind of the same at the end of the day.

If you want, check out Alpha Beta Gamer, kind of a game-announcement blog. I would start with the oldest archived post and work your way forward. They post more than just free games, sometimes paid-for ad articles, but honestly after Rock Paper Shotgun went the way of PCGamer and became veeeery uninteresting, it's the last place I know that posts about all sorts of weird unity-demo, student project type games. You know, the games that never get finished but are so entertaining as a proof of concept you still have a folder full of them years later. Alpha Beta also has a youtube channel now where they do pretty extensive playthroughs so you can get a good idea if you want to give the game a try.

What a weird time that was, eh? The era of flash. Still think about Newgrounds occasionally. It's a trip to go through the top-rated playlist now, and see what things were THE BEST back then. The animations, the games. .  it's enough to take one back to their younger days.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 10:05:25 am »

For a time , several years, there was Freegamer that was dedicaced to open source games with very good articles.
https://freegamer.blogspot.com/
But it seems the author interest have been dwindling as new posts are becoming more and more rare.

There's also a forum Freegamedev that can be interesting as while less alive than it used to be, is still seeing people posting there :
https://forum.freegamedev.net/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:07:03 am by Robsoie »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 10:27:43 pm »

A bit of a tangent but you might for something(s) of interest in the backlog of Ludum Dare games?  Just don't expect anything too polished or complex.  :)

https://ldjam.com/games

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 01:53:22 pm »

You can try my game at www.playprosperity.ca
I was the co-developer. It is a city builder.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:04:21 am »

While I'm over two weeks late, I have to say thanks. All of these sites are really cool. As it turns out, some of the sites I used to visit are still up too. Like Caiman and Acid-play
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister