Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 113980 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2019, 06:16:00 am »

Bandages are better at stopping bleeding than gauze, but otherwise they're the same.

I don't know much about the new system other than using some kind of bandage and disinfectant at the same time is better at healing than using them separately.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2019, 07:37:26 am »

Bandages don't heal damage directly any more, they just raise the passive regeneration rate. Bandage your wounds and go to sleep. Disinfectant also helps make it faster, if you can spare it.
The upside is that you can craft makeshift bandages, which work fine once you have some first aid skill, which trains faster now since you'll be constantly bandaging yourself. It's playable. There's also a mod to revert back to the old system, where bandages are low-level healing potions, if you want to.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2019, 11:54:55 am »

So were you making it with vanilla stuff?

The thing I was working on had unique items for every furniture including toilets, sinks, stoves, and a bunch of other stuff.

Yeah, it was an experiment to see how closely you could mock it up in vanilla, and whether the closest available workarounds looked good enough to use, at least in a mod.

I think it's been almost a year since I played, so does anyone know how healing works in the current version? Seems pretty slow and bandages don't seem to do much at the moment. Is there a difference between medical gauze and bandages? I'm just curious how the whole thing works.

Healing has been massively slowed down, but you can get useful healing if you:
1. Stack up a level or three of first aid.
2. Apply bandages AND disinfectant, best quality you can find.
3. Sleep with them applied.

For better results, the EZ Medical mod speeds up how fast bandages and such heal. It's enough to make bandages worth using for healing over time while awake (though it seems to not scale down very well, as it makes the makeshift rag bandages very relaible at healing, if still a touch slow).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2019, 06:42:06 pm »

I think it's been almost a year since I played, so does anyone know how healing works in the current version? Seems pretty slow and bandages don't seem to do much at the moment. Is there a difference between medical gauze and bandages? I'm just curious how the whole thing works.

I don't know if you can see this, but from my experience sleep is the number one healing method, but if you take serious injuries you need to apply the appropriate medical bits and bobs such as bandages, cauterization, splints etc. To prevent those sort of things killing you in your sleep. Medical application does help your hp on its own over time but usually that means sleeping through it to pass enough time.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2019, 07:50:33 am »

Alright, slowly but surely healing.

On another note I have been disassembling a wreckage in the hopes it would help train mechanics but it no longer seems to? Did this change or am I recalling things wrong?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:26 pm »

Posting to keep watch and keep track of this thread. I hope things go well here!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2019, 03:40:11 pm »

Sorry for not posting changelogs for a bit, been busy and not on social media too much.

I thought I'd share a bit of a PSA, the early game of the evacuation shelter has got significantly easier in the last couple updates. For people who find the default start a bit obnoxiously hard, it's worth checking out again. Once the next PR is in any time now, evac shelters can potentially spawn either untouched and fairly well-stocked with some basic survival food and water; or, they might spawn with a bit of a mess and graffiti from evacuees that already came and went, leaving still some stuff for you to pick through, almost certainly enough to make the game significantly easier in the first few days; or, you might find yourself starting in a shelter that was vandalized before the cataclysm, broken and covered in graffiti. Even these shelters have more stuff in them than the extremely spartan shelters of old.

Of note, bathrooms and toilets, water bottles and emergency rations, and a few basic tools that FEMA considers mandatory for things like evacuation shelters are all on the spawn list. Most of these items are the sort of thing to keep you alive, but won't help too much with actually accomplishing things. They just buy time.

As part of all this, I've added a bunch of pamphlets and graffiti information that expands the lore of the game in the first few hours of play by quite a bit. I'm pretty proud of the change.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

park66665

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Xenomedes of Gimhae
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2019, 09:31:45 am »

It's always nice to see some discussion about CDDA. I mostly got distracted by my life and other games(e.g. A Hat in Time, which literally made me regain my humanity) after making a small PR (it was successfully merged) to the game, but CDDA still is one of the most influential game in my life.

Have a nice holiday(or Christmas or whatever), everyone. :) The day's almost over here, but I guess it's still festive in elsewhere in the world, e.g. the Americas.
This is Xenomedes of Gimhae.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2019, 07:38:00 pm »

someone in the forums is making a "Secronom mod" which adds a new monster family/faction, something about living flesh and the like. with its own spreading biome. i've seen some screenshots of it in the DeadPeople Tileset thread. it looks just as i would expect of Cataclysm's equivalent to The Crimson.

as for cataclysm youtubers/streamers, Rycon is making a new Dusk Tale series, kind of a continuation/remake of its Dusk character. he's also going to start a Magiclysm series in 2020, hopefull both of these will live as long as or surpass his Bran's Tale series.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2019, 01:53:48 pm »

I recently did a smol arcana update myself, which turned into an increasingly larger project until I finally had to stop and say "okay, I need to finish up the foundation up to the point where I can set aside the other half of this without anything breaking"

The fact that I wanted to actually relax and not muck around with mods for christmas might've been part of that, though. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2020, 05:44:31 am »

any way to start the game with less zombie population?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2020, 05:54:13 am »

In the options when you create a world in the tab called world options there is a item called spawn rate scaling factor if you lower that it lowers the amount of monsters.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2020, 06:12:11 am »

ok, thk

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2020, 05:05:43 pm »

I would be interested by the reason of wanting to remove some of those mods.
For the buggy ones without anyone working on them or the ones that features are getting added directly into the main game i can understand.
But when i see mods like the ones that disable all the vitamin requirement or the one that disable the filthy clothes thing it sounds more like a case of "i don't like that mod and if the player like it he's wrong", unless of course those are added as actual game options instead of external mod.

Anyways, there's a lot of potential of "popcorn grabbing" on this pull request :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:07:33 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57