Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 113827 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 02:58:41 pm »

This threads off to a great start.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:07 pm »

I've already pointed this out to you once, and I will not hesitate to continue to do so if you don't get the point.

Come on, here. I'm just another person on the forum, not someone being paid to represent a game company or anything; I will, on occasion, express emotions. You'll find this is something that happens on all sides, and it would be nice if I wasn't held to a much higher standard than everyone else in the thread. I haven't been unkind or particularly rude, and it's rather uncharitable of you to focus entirely on one sentence of a five paragraph post because it happened to contain a bit of sarcasm.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2019, 03:38:37 pm »

If you had not handled your previous attempts to deal with dissenters in the same way in the previous thread, I wouldn't have said anything.  Instead, your responses to them have all carried the exact same tone and attitude, and that is what I am going to comment on.  Further, you're the OP, you set the tone for what is permissible in this thread, and if your behavior is inflammatory, then you'll definitely see the same from other users.

If you don't want this thread to end up exactly like the last one, then you should take a more neutral position.

They are upset because of things beyond their control, and you treating them in a patronizing manner will exacerbate that.  And frankly, I think they should try to move on as well, but that definitely won't happen if they keep getting the same treatment from you they got from Kevin.

edit: I also find your method of trying to justify your actions rather disingenuous. You are the one who presented yourself as a voice of the C:DDA dev team, so yes, I am absolutely going hold you to a higher standard, because YOU put yourself in the spotlight.

edit 2: Look, I'm not doing this because I want to perpetuate the drama around the game, I'm doing this because I want the drama to STOP.  I like to hear about the developments going on with Cataclysm, and I don't want this thread to turn out the same way because both sides keep at each other's throats.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:57:02 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2019, 04:14:58 pm »

I've found the recent performance to be really good. At first, I had trouble getting it running well on my Linux machine, compiling from source with -O3 (I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out the make flags so I wound up doing a search & replace), added march=native and all that classic ricing Gentoo stuff. Was still disappointed. Then I realized software rendering had somehow defaulted to on, which, at 1440p, was actually the cause of all my problems. Oops. Swapped to hardware rendering and it runs better than it ever has before.

Really looking forward to the continuing NPC/base developments; I read the plan was something vaguely Rimworldy, which sounds cool as hell.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2019, 04:19:28 pm »

Really looking forward to the continuing NPC/base developments; I read the plan was something vaguely Rimworldy, which sounds cool as hell.

Rimworld and DF are definitely inspirations, although ultimately I think having a player avatar in a planning game like that will change the feel a lot (which is the goal).

dpwb was talking about getting tractors to autodrive in fields today, first with robot modules and then hopefully as an NPC activity. This is another huge step in getting your pals to build your base for you. Apparently also the code infrastructure I need to make NPCs wander around the refugee center doing patrols and repair tasks is almost in place, and will probably be working before I have any time to actually implement those changes in content.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2019, 05:25:49 pm »

So, the last version I played was... (boots up old copy) 0.C-19721-g82f0627. And I probably spent most of my time playing versions of 0.B or early 0.C. I'm somewhat interested in giving the newer versions a whirl to see how it feels - should I stick with the latest stable 0.D? Or should I pick one of the more recent builds?

Additionally, do folks have some general tips or 'getting started' advice? Based on what I've read, at least, there's more of a maintenance requirement to surviving - if so, would be nice to get a sense of how differently I should be approaching things.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2019, 05:44:57 pm »

I haven't played in about a month, but in general I find using the latest build find. They're unstable, so occasionally something will be broken enough you have to go back a few, but most of the time the latest is best.

I'm not sure you have to do anything too terribly different just to survive. Running around looting houses and avoiding combat unless you have to is usually your best bet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2019, 05:55:12 pm »

I know you have all the answers for how we should be maintaining the repository we own, for a game that we like and play far too many hours of to be good for us, that you obviously no longer play in anything resembling its current form. However, I think we will continue to ignore your advice and play the game we're enjoying. As I've said, despite our insistence on adding and improving features and game balance we want to add and improve, the community at large only seems to add more people who want to play what we're making. And, to date, for all I hear (mainly from you and two or three other people in this forum) about how we're ruining everything, nobody seems to want to step up to maintain the much vaunted playstyles of yore. There are several doors and they're all wide open.

I've already pointed this out to you once, and I will not hesitate to continue to do so if you don't get the point.

TONE DOWN THE GODDAMN PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SHIT.

This shit is WHY there are people here who act so fucking disgruntled and you bringing it to this forum will make things WORSE.

There is no cause for it, you don't have to respond to FD or anyone else being negative, and doing so makes YOU into the target for their ire.

This is exactly it.

This is not how I was posting when  I started to notice things going odd. I was curious and asked questions. Kevin and his supporters were arrogant, passive-aggressive dickbags about everything.

There are changes that make me avoid playing builds more recent than ~6mo ago, but the primary reason I'm not willing to try to live with the current state of the game is because I know that every time I question any decision it's going to be met with a wall of passive-aggressive bullshit. I don't put up with that from people who are paying me to do things for them, much less people who are allegedly trying to convince me to play the current version of the game.

I'm sorry, but that is so incredibly false as to be completely hilarious. You clearly have no idea what recent cdda gameplay is like.
This is some deeply ironic Johnny-come-lately bullshit coming from you, since your apparent total lack of knowledge of the history of Cataclysm's development is the principle thing that keeps steering you wrong here. Most of us aren't pissed off about the nightly build now, we're pissed off about stupid decisions that happened months or years before you got involved, which were handled badly then and only grew worse over the years. This is a PR problem and you're handling it in pretty much the worse way possible. Cataclysm used to be one of the top names among contemporary roguelikes, but the name is in the mud now.

There were people who liked the Mad Max-y car-building side of the game. ... Those playstyles and more besides were both possible and viable. All of them have been to some degree curtailed so that they no longer work or are much more tedious and/or unreliable.

So as one of the developers who has been making a lot of player visible changes in the vehicle code, can I ask you to specify what about Mad Max car-building that has become so much more unreliable?

Since I started playing about 4 years ago in early 0.C, the vehicle system has changed in a couple of significant ways:
1. electric motors have been adjusted a couple of times, but the net result is there a wider range of electric motors, from very small to fairly large, and all of them get decent efficiency
2. gasoline and diesel engine sizes have standardized and made to support multiple fuels
3. steam engines and freaking huge gas turbines have been added
4. infinite fuel engines like the vortex engine from blazemod have been simplified and standardized
5. lifting and jacking requirements have been added, but satisfying them is fairly trivial
6. vehicle parts have descriptions of what they do when you install them, making it easier to figure out how to configure your vehicle
7. electrical power generation got reduced, but so did the energy costs of most things - you're no longer burning 250 battery charges/turn just to keep the stereo going.
8. rams have been added to vanilla, and most vehicle parts have gotten decent amounts of armor
9. the way that vehicle speed is calculated has changed substantially, but it's still easy to put together a deathmobile that will travel 15+ tiles/turn and most people don't like driving that fast.  Vehicles don't have nominal top speeds of 3000 mph any more, but if you put a 6,000 HP gas turbine on your racing bike you will go crazy fast enough.
10. boats were mainlined, and vehicles can now be made amphibious and you have a variety of choices in your boat hulls
12. bike racks were added, so you can attach a little scout bike to your deathmobile, drive from town to town in your deathmobile, and have a little scout bike to  scout inside a town.  you can even put bike racks on your scout bike and attach small vehicles to it.  (and your scout bike can be amphibious, if that's your thing)
12. there's a limited autopilot to cut down on the tedium of driving from point to point
13. we've got working prototypes of towline towing and helicopters
14. there's a definite plan for adding vehicles that span multiple z-levels themselves, and allowing ground vehicles to drive up and down ramps
15. various other convenience features (single button powered curtains for your entire vehicle, vehicle heaters, off-road tires, the mechanics profession that starts with a welder and welding goggles) have been added

From my perspective, going Mad Max in CDDA is easier and better than ever, and if for some reason you don't like some of the changes, modding even higher performance vehicles is really easy.

The only things that I really acknowledge as nerfs are:
1. foot pedals no longer produce the equivalent of 15 horse power, so some power generation strategies got busted
2. you can't fix everything with duct tape

Tastes very, but I'll trade those two drawbacks for all that other stuff.

First, thanks for bothering to respond like a civil human being.

Full disclosure: I was never much for the vehicle side of things to begin with (again, I don't have a dog in every fight, but I'm pissed off about how people who did were treated).

How lifting/jacking was handled is one of the main things. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but when that change was originally implemented it was mandatory to build a separate vehicle to act as a crane base (when cranes were already rare to begin with) just to lift out storage batteries (which by their nature should be easy to swap). That was one of many blatant attempts to keep players interested by adding unnecessary tedium (as most vehicle-building characters would lack 15 STR). Bear in mind, the change was from 3 STR to 15 STR. Which was wildly overtuned. And the "solution" to that was to let you mount the crane on the vehicle it was lifting.

So, for example, a sensible middle ground would have been to allow someone with, say, 10 STR to use a rope or chain as an even cruder lifting mechanism when within a certain range of a tree or structure (assuming for the sake of gameplay flow that there are carry handles or eyeholes on the battery and a convenient branch/bar/whatever on the adjacent terrain) to hoist the battery out. But instead it was SEND THE CHANGE, CRANE OR GTFO, FUCK YOU CAR PEOPLE.

Also worth noting that that wouldn't have even been a big deal if it had been implemented sensibly in the first place and people who criticized it hadn't been lambasted for it.

That's kinda the story of DDA in a nutshell: a couple bad decisions (like nerfing all gun accuracy into the dirt and leaving it that way for fucking ages instead of doing a proper rebalance or leaving the pre-DDA accuracy system in place until it was possible to do so) combined with a FUCK YOU MY GAME GO AWAY approach to PR and dissenting opinions that leaves people pissed off. Most of what's been done has been good, a few really dumb tedious things (dirty clothes) have been made optional, but bad blood the ongoing assholery of certain parts of the development team and fanboy crowd, and certain continued stupid hasty changes (like food freezing, jesus wept that was a mess) make people like me bounce off any time we try to reenter.

Frankly, I'd be happy to test the nightly build and suggest improvements if there weren't people like Kevin and Erk that I know are going to treat me like shit any time I question anything or suggest doing something differently. Anyone who remembers the small shield blocking pull debacle knows why I don't trust them any farther than I can throw them, and I don't even have development time invested in the project.

Ninjutsu got pretty fucked in the recent rebalance though. That alone was enough that I have no interest in current builds, since it was my favorite MA. Don't even know why it got hit, since it was solidly second-tier and only viable if you were good enough to get going without a good starter MA anyways.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:04:13 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2019, 06:25:34 pm »

This is just like most American TV.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2019, 06:29:20 pm »

FD, I'm going to politely ask you to tone it down also.  This is a new thread, and we can try to be civil here.

I really do understand why you and the others are so angry, but we aren't going to get that civility without BOTH sides toning back on their phrasing.

edit: Damnit guys can we please just not?  Please.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:31:09 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2019, 06:31:19 pm »

This is just like most American TV.
this is better than most American tv (Source: Am American)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2019, 07:02:40 pm »

So, the last version I played was... (boots up old copy) 0.C-19721-g82f0627. And I probably spent most of my time playing versions of 0.B or early 0.C. I'm somewhat interested in giving the newer versions a whirl to see how it feels - should I stick with the latest stable 0.D? Or should I pick one of the more recent builds?

Additionally, do folks have some general tips or 'getting started' advice? Based on what I've read, at least, there's more of a maintenance requirement to surviving - if so, would be nice to get a sense of how differently I should be approaching things.

Hmm. I haven't played the current experimental for a couple weeks, been too busy doing artwork. There's a new gun fouling mechanic that we're generally unhappy with and are figuring out a better implementation for; that one is a bit of a nuisance. Otherwise I think experimental has a lot of great stuff over stable, particularly in the field of npcs doing your work for you and being less idiotic about it. Also we moved the start date up so that freezing doesn't bother people until later on, and we've generally (tried to) tweak monster evolution a bit (although it remains buggy af) so that new characters don't get eaten by a grue quite as early on.

In terms of actual gameplay, about the only big difference I'd note going from 0.B to now is that stamina makes it much harder to solo multiple zombies in melee, especially in the early game. You're going to want more of a zombie movie "face one or run" kind of strategy. Otherwise, to me at least, it generally feels like the same game. I'd say the biggest difference is that you're probably going to want to recruit an NPC fairly early and get them to help you build a base, not because it's all that necessary for survival but because it's really fun and cool.

Edit: speaking of face one or run, be careful. Zombies can shove past each other in doorways and bottlenecks and spill past you to surround you now. A single door tile is not enough to corral the horde.

Also, make sure to try out the zone sorting/zone action tools. I believe the default key to set up zones is 'Y'. That single feature probably reduces more tedium than anything we've added before or since.

The other thing I'd suggest though is that if you do go with experimental and try out the new npc stuff, you
- don't update game mid save if you're attached to your game. NPCs seem to take that as an excuse to lose their shit
- strongly consider adding magiclysm if you want to try out a bunch of crazy new stuff. Although it's not mainline cdda, it's probably got the biggest concentration of wild new features.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:05:59 pm by Erk »

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2019, 07:18:33 pm »

In other news, this tileset is just about ready for beta release. I want to cram in a few more common/important pieces of furniture. Items and vehicles won't be very complete in the initial presentation but it should give a fun idea of at least roughly what it's going to be like, and hopefully drum up a few more pixel artists to join the effort. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get repetitive motion strain.

I've had to leave a lot of tiles that should have connection data, like many walls, sofas, things like that, as individual filler tiles. That makes it a bit tougher to read but at least it gives a good preview.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 07:24:41 pm »

FD, I'm going to politely ask you to tone it down also.  This is a new thread, and we can try to be civil here.

I really do understand why you and the others are so angry, but we aren't going to get that civility without BOTH sides toning back on their phrasing.

edit: Damnit guys can we please just not?  Please.
They must, it is entertaining

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 08:25:15 pm »

Is some one working on adding armor to blazemod parts yet? Last time I checked, those parts still tank damage by having huge HP values rather than the newish armored parts system.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 57