Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 114026 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #465 on: April 07, 2020, 05:41:59 pm »

as far as I know you cannot have 2 thresholds at once.

they're points of no return
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2020, 03:24:52 am »

When the thresholds first came out there wasn't anything stopping you from getting all of them if you tried hard enough.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2020, 09:02:05 am »

So I was playing as the hard Tweaker start, which unlike the other addiction-based starts DOESN'T start with the substance for which the player is addicted, hence the difficulty.  Then I lucked into two unexpected things: First, my starting NPC, armed with a crossbow, despite my not having any points in speaking or anything, decides to join me as a companion.  Second, as we're bashing zombies so that I can stock up on the beverages and food that I'll need to survive the crash that keeps me from even boiling water, one of the zombies drops some low-grade amphetamines, the very substance to which my character is addicted!  And I'm not even infected yet!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2020, 11:19:08 am »

I did a crackhead start pretty recently, and I didn't even smoke all my starting crack, since the effects of the crack were basically worse to play with than the withdrawal symptoms. Maybe meth is better for you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2020, 11:24:48 am »

I did a crackhead start pretty recently, and I didn't even smoke all my starting crack, since the effects of the crack were basically worse to play with than the withdrawal symptoms. Maybe meth is better for you.

Drugs overall are generally not worth using, and they weren't all that great even back when they actually had some useful stat effects.

Also oh, I did a thing a short while back, adding a mod that tweaks how many farms spawn because there are so bloody many varieties of farm now.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 08, 2020, 07:36:10 pm »

I've found that good ol' reliable low-grade methamphetamine still gives you a nice speed boost, but now it's super short and results in having to sleep for an entire day.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 08, 2020, 09:27:41 pm »

What about Ol' Dusty?  Cocaine still provided a modest speed boost when I played.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 09, 2020, 01:32:10 am »

Never dared to try it. My characters tend to have bad drug traits and a stronger drug sounds like a pain. Meth is/was my panic button.

Now, can anyone confirm that I can turn on wandering spawns to simulate zombie hordes mid-world? Because it says world directory needs to be reset but a google search has people saying it's ok.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:03 am »

It's more that the withdrawal is worse.  Being able to keep it from triggering or go away if zombies appear is kinda the difference between living and dying, as you can barely fight off one zombie while on withdrawal.  Plus, the withdrawal mechanics have been revamped: I've never seen a character live long enough to actually break their addiction.  It's certainly more than a day, and since you can't even boil water, the risk of dehydration is certainly there.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2020, 06:45:52 am »

It's more that the withdrawal is worse.  Being able to keep it from triggering or go away if zombies appear is kinda the difference between living and dying, as you can barely fight off one zombie while on withdrawal.  Plus, the withdrawal mechanics have been revamped: I've never seen a character live long enough to actually break their addiction.  It's certainly more than a day, and since you can't even boil water, the risk of dehydration is certainly there.
I don't know about that. At first I tried taking crack to keep the withdrawal symptoms away, but soon the depressant effect had stacked up so high that I was constantly falling down. About every thirty seconds, I think. Forget fighting, I literally couldn't walk. The withdrawal symptoms lasted several days, but less than a week. I guess the negative effects from the crack did time out before the withdrawal, so there was a time window where taking more crack would have been beneficial, but by that point I'd already been smashing the wait button for well over a day, and had chucked my crack off the balcony of the apartment building I was hiding in.
I might have had to drink dirty toilet water a few times, but that only gives you food poisoning. If you vomit, just drink more.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2020, 07:52:33 am »

A nice accounting of rehab in the zombie apocalypse.  :D

I would like to note that my character was using meth, not crack, so they might have different experiences.  My reading of the release notes on the addiction mechanics were that they were designed to reward a more gradual withdraw rather than going cold turkey, but since all doses are the same, I really have no idea what they meant by that.  I thought that food poisoning was worse, like leading to an inability to drink due to nausea.  I'm not really clear on the mechanic well enough to manage it properly.

Finally, I would advocate holding onto the drug, if you have it, to keep in case of zombie attack.  I don't think either character, the meth head or crackhead, are in any condition to fight off zombies while undergoing withdraw.  The withdraw symptoms might clear up with fresh drugs in time for the player to have a chance.  Although I'd probably try fire first, and save the drug for situations where either starting a fire is dangerous or multiple attackers make it unlikely that I can direct them all to fiery death.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2020, 10:31:45 am »

in this new version, turret have infinite ammo?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2020, 12:27:35 pm »

No, but apparently it's just a fucking huge amount.
Black lives matter.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2020, 07:11:27 pm »

They often had 100 rounds in the old versions.

A common strat for me was to wear uptenth layers of clothing and a good helmet and walking into their range.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:19 pm »

They often had 100 rounds in the old versions.

A common strat for me was to wear uptenth layers of clothing and a good helmet and walking into their range.

I think they made that strategy a bit easier, actually.  The riot turrets don't use as deadly ammunition, and the Ballistic Vest is great torso armor.  Finding sufficient head protection is still an issue, and might want to use a vehicle in case your legs get blown off.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 57