Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 114056 times)

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2020, 04:09:48 am »

Maybe this calls for a light flexible 'frame' that can connect two vehicles called a tow hitch? Would be neat to have a survival trailer pulled along behind my truck
I'm pretty sure they added tow cables a few weeks ago, but I haven't messed with those yet so I can't say for sure how they work. They probably attach like jumper cables though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2020, 10:08:42 am »

Hm, would it be possible to have the broadcasting lead to Cleansing Flame random generic recruitable NPCs appearing?

So like how the game rarely generates NPCs that can be recruited, this mission unlocks those folks to be more like Cleansing Flame survivors.

If not, giving magic-users as recruitable NPCs in any capacity, based upon the path the player had pursued (or maybe even complementary, to whatever degree possible lore-wise).

If you're looking to branch out, the Desert map could use some love.  Not sure many mods would actually work with that map, as even the base game has issues with wanting to spawn things in fields, but not having fields that are legal to do so, then bugging out.  Imagine Djinn, magic lamps, flying carpets, and enchanted knives and scimitars!

Despite the issues, it provides a whole new experience, as instead of worrying about freezing to death, the player has to avoid burning up!  Going nocturnal is the best best, but the player's sleep cycles are all wrong at first.

I could add arcanist NPC classes for dynamic NPC spawns, but there's no way to link their spawning to finishing missions at the rural church. A mission that spawns a static recruitable NPC somewhere when activated is doable, however. We'll have to see. :3

And yeah, regarding the desert map, as far as I know most stuff spawns and works right, only issue is I need to convert more of Arcana's mapgen to use regional terrain so it looks right when spawned in a desert world. If anything, the real compatibility issue is Dark Skies Above. It's not EXPECTED for any content mod to be compatible with it (the mod description warns you straightaway that other mods might break it), but I'd like to try and get Arcana compatible with it on a basic level, and have discussed my findings so far with the mod author.

Last time I tested it, for some reason the mere existence of Arcana's regional overlay file (which only adds arcanist houses with their own specific basements to the city house roster) breaks spawning in the mod's equivalents to the Evacuee and Safe Place scenarios, despite the fact that:
1. Arcana's regional overlay doesn't touch ANY of the mapgen stuff those scenarios would involve.
2. Even if they did, the mod defines entirely new om_terrain files for those scenarios to use, so it shouldn't interact with arcana at all.

My only guess right now is something fucky was happening in how CDDA itself handles regional overlays, and as this was in an older build I'd have to re-test things when I get the chance.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #527 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:47 am »

My only guess right now is something fucky was happening in how CDDA itself handles regional overlays, and as this was in an older build I'd have to re-test things when I get the chance.
Sounds like a manually merged mod to replace the combo is needed.
Or perhaps if there's a way to make a mod supersede another mod, you'd just need a compatibility mod that only has a merged mapfile, that would be loaded alongside the other two.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2020, 06:28:15 pm »

Sounds like a manually merged mod to replace the combo is needed.
Or perhaps if there's a way to make a mod supersede another mod, you'd just need a compatibility mod that only has a merged mapfile, that would be loaded alongside the other two.

As much as I prefer making mod-compat stuff integral to mods, I do indeed worry that a patchmod, with both mods as dependencies, will be required. I've been able to do a remarkable amount of work towards making Arcana mesh well with other mods (there's even a few interactions between Arcana and Magiclysm beyond merely being able to load), but eventually you reach a point where it's hard to do anything further without making a patchmod.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #529 on: May 01, 2020, 09:30:04 am »

Here's hoping that you can find/make a script/program that is adept at merging the requisite files so you can trigger it anytime either mod updates.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 02, 2020, 03:23:06 pm »

Who knows. In the meantime, however...

I've had a little arcana idea on the backburner for a while, crafting anomalous arrows using monsterparts. And with the way archery is so in flux, this seems a good time to do that update, especially as I recently merged my major plans for finishing the rural church NPC mission chains I'd left unfinished, so now I have a bit of free time for misc ideas.

General idea is they'll be very effective against basic zeds with basic bows, and maintain high utility against armored targets, but it'll be less efficient than super-strong bows using modern arrows given the expense of crafting them, not to mention the use of exotic damage types means there'll always be SOMETHING out there that laughs off these arrows entirely...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2020, 03:05:16 am »

I'm running a version that's about a week old now, but they added the ability to change your height and age in character creation at some point, so you aren't assumed to be a statistically average 25 year old man no matter what anymore. I think your metabolism and weight for any given height changes based on age too? Not entirely sure on that one.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2020, 07:43:01 am »

I'm running a version that's about a week old now, but they added the ability to change your height and age in character creation at some point, so you aren't assumed to be a statistically average 25 year old man no matter what anymore. I think your metabolism and weight for any given height changes based on age too? Not entirely sure on that one.

Well hello reason to update!

EDIT: Anybody know if its possible to complete the Food Delivery Driver's mission?  Do I just keep poking around the Mansion hoping somebody survived?  I didn't get a mission fail, so if its dependent on an NPC, then its an issue of finding the bugger in a 3-story, zombie infested maze.

TIP: Take explosives away from companions.  Pipe bombs are !!FUN!!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 14, 2020, 12:33:35 am »

Also, since tankmod was obsoleted, I decided to finally do the same thing I did with my old More Survival Tools and Medieval mods. I've now revived it as, well, Tankmod: Revived.

Notable changes from the last in-repo version of Tankmod:
1. The main battle tank, self-propelled howitzer, and infantry fighting vehicle have been overhauled, more closely modeled after their real-world counterparts (which they've now been named after). Gone are the odd, spacious Merkava-like layouts, in favor of designs that better mimic the M1 Abrams, M109 howitzer, and M2 Bradley.
2. The light tank, mobile gun system, and atomic mini-tank have been removed for now. One was based off a design that hasn't been in active service for ages and would have a wildly different armament, the second will need some serious overhauling and a different ammotype, while the third was intentionally fictional but will need reworking due to minireactors being less utilized in vanilla. I have plans to re-add them, however!
3. Weapons and ammunition have been rebalanced heavily. Damage and explosive force more closely matches available information concerning the tank, artillery, and autocannon ammunition they're based off of. Handloads in particular are more resource-intensive but have the sort of raw impact that makes them worth it, and undesired ammunition can be taken apart for the relevant resources.
4. 30mm autocannon and ammunition have been swapped out for 25mm, as the IFV's real-world influence uses a different model of autocannon. 30mm might return separately for a different vehicle and/or helicopter use, but more likely future updates will see increased use of 25mm.
5. Since tank drones are not only obsolete in vanilla, shifted to Aftershock, but also lack 120mm cannons, this mod no longer touches tankbots. But, I have tankbot-related plans of my own for the future.
6. Rebalanced and updated vehicle groups. Tanks and such should generally only spawn in vehicle groups where other military vehicles can be found, and generally are more sensible weights.

Planned future features:
1. Reimplementing the light tank, most likely to be based off the M551 Sheridan and thus will likely use 152mm TOW instead of a tank cannon. These will likely be confined to specific locational spawns, being an obsolete Gulf War era tank that might plausibly be brought out of reserve for emergency use.
2. Possibly the introduction of 105mm as a step down from 120mm. If I do, this will lead to adding 105mm howitzers, the M60 Patton tank (use sparingly for the same reason as above, being an obsolete tank in reserve storage, but WAY more common than Sheridans), and potentially a revival of the mobile gun system as the 105mm Stryker variant.
3. A 155mm towed howitzer might show up as well, likely in dedicated spawn locations implying hastily set up positions, the same use case that 105mm howitzers will see.
4. Naval and aircraft use of 25mm. Patrol boats might become a rare spawn at docks, some crashed aircraft might have the 25mm autocannon, etc.
5. A rework of the fictional atomic mini-tank into a more viable solar-electric design.
6. A revival of tank drones as a legit automated tankette, likely to be a rare encounter specific to certain areas.
7. Other encounters of armored vehicles in expected places.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 14, 2020, 11:13:09 am »

When are the VFWs going to get mostly-intact tanks for their front lawns?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 14, 2020, 11:22:52 am »

And/or helicopters/artillery pieces
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45:40 am »

You guys might be joking, but thats exactly what happens in the small towns around me in NE

Beaches and town halls often have old cannons
VFWs have tanks or choppers or even artillery
Some city parks have artillery too

A cannon can be represented pretty well in-game with a chasis (maybe some wheels if you feel generous) and a mounted gun that takes shot.  Shot isnt impossible to make at a forge, especially since we can do swords.  And if youre feeling spunky, you could let us make improvised shot, or grapeshot, or just fire some rusty nails plugged into the chamber.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:47:47 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 14, 2020, 11:49:57 am »

You guys might be joking, but thats exactly what happens in the small towns around me in NE

Beaches and town halls often have old cannons
VFWs have tanks or choppers or even artillery
Some city parks have artillery too

A cannon can be represented pretty well in-game with a chasis (maybe some wheels if you feel generous) and a mounted gun that takes shot.  Shot isnt impossible to make at a forge, especially since we can do swords.  And if youre feeling spunky, you could let us make improvised shot, or grapeshot, or just fire some rusty nails plugged into the chamber.

Actually, I was referring to what you mentioned, as that is how things are around me.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2020, 12:41:02 pm »

Yep. Local VFW has a helicopter, theres one within like 40 miles that has a M60 and a howitzer... No arty in the local park, tho a few towns over one has a mortar and a naval gun for some reason, despite being like 200 miles from ocean...

Only a few actual cannon about tho, I only know of three. Think most got recycled for a war.

Oh, wow, someones been busy messing with the inventory system. Duplicating items, things eating charges when trying to reload (i.e., reload a sewing kit/needle, thread drops properly but charges on the tool doesn't increase), the joy of trying to work out how the hell to empty out yer pockets before changing pants...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:37:32 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 15, 2020, 11:29:25 am »

Well, this discussion blew up a bit while I wasn't looking. VFW halls would be an amusing place to add obsolete vehicles and such, yeah. Since I'm tempted to find a niche for the M60 Patton and M551 Sheridan (the former being way, WAY more common than the latter, like over 15000 for all variants vs under 2000 total), those might be a good spawn. In that case there will likely be two variants for those obsolete tanks. One variant will lack any secondary armament, no military item spawns inside their cargo, but still have an (unloaded) main gun and might still be in working order (albeit, likely only spawning with fuel if they're in a garage or other maintenance location). The other kind would spawn with the secondary armaments, ammo, signs of use etc, and would be a much rarer sign of old tanks being brought out of reserve for emergency use.

Oh, wow, someones been busy messing with the inventory system. Duplicating items, things eating charges when trying to reload (i.e., reload a sewing kit/needle, thread drops properly but charges on the tool doesn't increase), the joy of trying to work out how the hell to empty out yer pockets before changing pants...

Nested containers was merged, and it's still being worked on heavily. There were a lot of bugs to sift through, this is on par with the turn-length change with regards to how much of the game the change interacts with.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 57