Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 114048 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #570 on: July 02, 2020, 03:08:20 pm »

I've been able to climb up drainpipes, but it doesn't appear possible to climb back down them again. Any clue?
Does it complain about there being a ledge or is it saying "you wont be able to climb back up" when you examine the tile?
Dunno, will have to get back and test when I next see a drain. I was able to climb up using the > button, but  trying to climb down with < did nothing.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 02, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »

I've been able to climb up drainpipes, but it doesn't appear possible to climb back down them again. Any clue?
Does it complain about there being a ledge or is it saying "you wont be able to climb back up" when you examine the tile?
Dunno, will have to get back and test when I next see a drain. I was able to climb up using the > button, but  trying to climb down with < did nothing.
Just walk off the edge. It'll give you a prompt to either jump down or try climbing.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 02, 2020, 03:45:37 pm »

I did that at the time and there was no prompt. Will try again the next time I'm up a roof.

---

Currently just escaped from prison, got a steak knife from a house in the woods, and now returned to cut up blankets. Now to remember how to make some thread...

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 02, 2020, 06:39:37 pm »

I did that at the time and there was no prompt. Will try again the next time I'm up a roof.

---

Currently just escaped from prison, got a steak knife from a house in the woods, and now returned to cut up blankets. Now to remember how to make some thread...
I must be misremembering then. Maybe it was 'e'? Try interacting with the space above the drain pipe like you would a console or a pile of items.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 02, 2020, 07:04:17 pm »

---

Cut it up some more, or disassemble the rags.  I think both work.  Don't forget the sewing needle!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 03, 2020, 08:18:18 am »

Thanks! I've been playing for the first time with freeform character creation and it's honestly been a lot more enjoyable. My normal experience is being unable to fend off any kind of zombie attack in the first day, being quickly overwhelmed and dying horribly. So I made a martial arts master and have been kicking zombie butt from the get go.

I added the dinosaurs and a few other mods, so lots of surprising content. I made enemies 80% slower too, as zombies should be slow. It's still challenging: razorclaw crabs destroyed my truck's engine when I went to explore a shipwreck and I barely made it out alive.

Since been rolling round in a prison bus, raiding and sleeping in nice cabins along the way. The bus just ran out of diesel and I've found another truck which is working, but it's leaking gasoline on the road which I take is a Bad Sign. Might be able to get far enough in it to find some diesel and get back.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 03, 2020, 11:29:07 am »

If its a slow leak, you should still get a day or so out of the truck.

My experience is that 9 cut resistance is the threshold at which zombies are generally unable to penetrate.  Sure, critical hits will still get through, but its the safety threshold.  Fire kills everything.  These two principles in conjunction lead to much zombie killing for unskilled characters.

I'm now tempted to try and build a cabin in the woods or something.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 09, 2020, 08:05:48 pm »

Is it just me or did 0.E remove like, a whole lot of starting scenarios?

EDIT: Also in the default scenario the starting shelter has some broken doors and windows, and also all the windows are missing curtains. It's just a minor annoyance, but apparently it should only happen occasionally, but for me it happens every time. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:13:29 am by IonMatrix »
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2020, 02:41:29 am »

If you're using the same world every time, you probably got unlucky and it generated a ton of broken shelters.
Black lives matter.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 10, 2020, 05:31:13 am »

After not playing for years, still on my longest ever game yet from the prison start, now on day 5 or 6 and starting to get to where I feel the game is meant to be played. Driving around in my truck (it had two gas tanks so I siphoned everything into the one that didn't have a leak), looking the fuel for my blow torch so I can attach new parts and fix up holes in my wandering vehicle. Finding road maps is a really fun feature, as it allows you to plan ahead what cities you want to hit up.

Also started doing quests for a lab, which is a fun thing they didn't have the last time I played. Stuck on one where you have to mind wipe a corpse. I did it to a dessicated corpse I thought was the one they wanted but the quest wouldn't complete when I returned so I guess it was the wrong dead body??

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 10, 2020, 05:38:13 am »

Didn't know there were quests for a lab.  When did they put those in?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2020, 05:41:37 am »

If you're using the same world every time, you probably got unlucky and it generated a ton of broken shelters.
Well, technically I'm using the same world every time, but I reload it every time, so it's basically using a new world.

So, uh, does that mean I'm just unlucky?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2020, 05:52:11 am »

Well, technically I'm using the same world every time, but I reload it every time, so it's basically using a new world.

So, uh, does that mean I'm just unlucky?

Reloading means that you're generally starting in the same set of shelters every time, since its the same world with different people.  You're just not seeing the stuff that your prior characters have done to the world.

As for the shelters, I think most of them are as you describe.  I think its only occasional that you spawn in a shelter that hasn't been vandalized.

As for the starting scenarios, its more that they've been shuffled.  Some are gone, but they've been replaced with other ones.  The new ones are actually quite interesting.  Playing the Military Base scenario spawns you in a fully-stocked military warehouse.  No guns (except on the zombies), but enough MREs and water bottles to last several years.  Actually makes me think: "Why should I leave?"  The 1st Zombie Infantry Battalion wandering the base reinforces that idea.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 10, 2020, 06:03:25 am »

Getting food, clean water and a comfortable bed is pretty easy in the game, so you could live indefinitely holed up in a room. But it's be a pretty boring way to play.

Didn't know there were quests for a lab.  When did they put those in?
Hub01 is a faction added in about a year ago.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 10, 2020, 09:40:40 am »

Can someone give their on opinions on martial arts in general? Like if you should even bother, how might it affect your playstyle etc.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57