Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 113595 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #735 on: August 20, 2020, 10:13:06 am »

I've now got all of the stuff in ammo.json, armor.json, classes.json (i.e. scrolls and magic seals), comestibles.json, and melee.json sprited, at least stuff that doesn't have a convenient lookalike. I'm curious what Erk will think of it...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 20, 2020, 05:43:34 pm »

Meanwhile in Arcana...first steps toward mod_tileset work for Ultica:

The four essence types, of course.
The Four Elemental Pixels

Green Elephant, Red Elephant, Miner's Hat, and Leg of Ballerina?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 20, 2020, 05:47:47 pm »

Green crap, red crap, grey crap, smoke
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 20, 2020, 07:23:53 pm »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 21, 2020, 12:57:55 am »

Above: the Wizard in his study.

He really needs some more wizardy wear.
Love, scriver~

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 21, 2020, 09:57:56 am »

It's mostly just my setting up assorted items to display them. I had like twice as much stuff on tables, but I saved the game to tweak the offset for 20x20 item sprites (centered the way Erk prefers to have them, they always seem too far over the the left), but on loading the save reported an error and when I skipped it, half the fucking evac center was overriden, and the NPC had moved farther north inside the room.

I lost probably half an hour of editing in tables and spawning items to put on them. :/

Here's an earlier screenshot of my complete display, prior to fixing the wacky sprite placement for small items:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 21, 2020, 02:08:32 pm »

Looks beautiful, my awful prior attempt at humor notwithstanding.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 21, 2020, 03:49:49 pm »

Yey. I've now updated it, full summary is in commit here: https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/commit/458bd2b7f9bd1976b0825c86a79f58e88618b233

In a nutshell:
1. Mod tileset stuff for Ultica, and dropping the mod tilset stuff for UDP since SDG already has all my modded-in sprites in his set by now.
2. A small rebalance for Dragonblood mutants regarding their wings, and a feature I wanted to add but is currently hidden (see below).
3. Dummied out some things because relic_data code is broken yet again in two different ways, one that just makes it not work and one that breaks saves unless commented out.

Honestly, for all the complaints players had with nested containers, in its current state it's a lot more functional and less buggy, whereas from a modder's perspective it's almost always spells and relics causing problems.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 23, 2020, 01:11:23 am »

Things is looking good for tilesets in 0.F. finished all the mi-go today. Just this week thanks to some dedicated contributors live AcePleiades and int_ua, we've added something like 300-400 new sprites.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 23, 2020, 05:10:44 am »

So, I tried this thing!

First impressions from a new player:

1. The interface is horrible. And this is coming from a Dwarf Fortress player. Nested menu upon nested menu. An entirely separate system and keybinding for construction compared to item crafting. Not to mention one of the most commonly used keybindings for crafting is a highly inaccessible keypress (&). Hidden functions within the construction menu (*) which aren't intuitive, such as chopping trees or logs, when most other interactions use the interact key (e).

2. Horrible documentation. The wiki's a neglected wasteland. The separate site for item searches regularly throws 500 server errors.

3. Surprisingly good gameplay once the learning curve is mastered. Rogue-lite with survival game aspects tickles my interest.

4. I love the cooking system! So many ingredients, with options to farm them, scavenge from the ruins of civilization, hunt or gather your nutrition. Plus, item decay! Unlike so many other survival games which allow food to remain perfectly preserved, this actually forces you to use the stuff you find or face it turning to rotten garbage. By far the best cooking game simulator I've played recently.

5. The crafting system is unbalanced. Some clothes can be disassembled, others can't. Some return full resources, others only partial amounts. Some return completely different resources than the stuff you used to craft it. It's obviously been created by multiple different designers, each with different levels of commitment and design philosophies. Really needs some polish and standardization. Give all clothing items the disassemble option for half resources, for example. The hodge-podge currently on offer looks like an abandoned project where someone just said "Good enough!" and shipped it as is.

6. The recipes themselves need a good look over for consistency and logic. A chest wrap has 0.5 L volume, 0.14 lbs weight, and takes 1 minute and 9 rags to create. A single rag has 0.25 L volume and 0.18 lbs weight. Why would anyone ever use the bundle of rags item when they can store nine rags without losing string and somehow break the first law of thermodynamics in the process? Don't even get me started on a 0.18 lbs rag being crafted with 80x 0.11 lbs thread.

7. Combat's pretty deadly for a new character. I figured out early in my first few games to avoid confrontation and spend time grinding skills and gear instead. Hopefully I'll experience more interesting stuff later once I have a character that can survive anything more hostile than a stiff breeze.

8. The skill system is a grind, and also easily gamed. Ranks come quickly by repeat crafting items at your current level. For tailoring, I just picked a cheap recipe that I could disassemble for full returned resources and pumped them out. Presto, rank up! Only cost is time, meaning the game creates an incentive to hole up for the start of every game in a safe location and grind skill ranks instead of challenging the map.

9. I don't really care about tile sets, and play the game just fine in ASCII format. Shame that so much time and energy gets spent on features that add nothing to the game for me.

Closing remarks: I wouldn't recommend this game to any of my friends. I probably won't play it again once I've satisfied myself that I can build a successful character and have them survive in most situations. Still, the game has a lot of potential, and I hope the development team can fix some of the more glaring errors in the design over simply adding window dressing. Also, great cooking system. Top marks for that.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 23, 2020, 03:24:14 pm »

Like DF, this game is less rogue-lite and more rogue-heavier

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 23, 2020, 05:51:03 pm »

Thanks for the comments!

So, I tried this thing!

First impressions from a new player:

1. The interface is horrible. And this is coming from a Dwarf Fortress player. Nested menu upon nested menu. An entirely separate system and keybinding for construction compared to item crafting. Not to mention one of the most commonly used keybindings for crafting is a highly inaccessible keypress (&). Hidden functions within the construction menu (*) which aren't intuitive, such as chopping trees or logs, when most other interactions use the interact key (e).
Agreed, it's miserable. There's been a gradual push to improve, but it's slow. By the time people know enough to fix the ux, we've grown accustomed to it and have to work against our own self-interest and sacrifice motor memory for the greater good.

2. Horrible documentation. The wiki's a neglected wasteland. The separate site for item searches regularly throws 500 server errors.
Not sure what's up with the wiki. It always surprises me that nobody makes any effort to update it.

4. I love the cooking system! So many ingredients, with options to farm them, scavenge from the ruins of civilization, hunt or gather your nutrition. Plus, item decay! Unlike so many other survival games which allow food to remain perfectly preserved, this actually forces you to use the stuff you find or face it turning to rotten garbage. By far the best cooking game simulator I've played recently.
We've got more in hopes for all that stuff too, like more granular decay based on storage. Some day we'd even like some sort of flavour profile system.

5. The crafting system is unbalanced. Some clothes can be disassembled, others can't. Some return full resources, others only partial amounts. Some return completely different resources than the stuff you used to craft it. It's obviously been created by multiple different designers, each with different levels of commitment and design philosophies. Really needs some polish and standardization. Give all clothing items the disassemble option for half resources, for example. The hodge-podge currently on offer looks like an abandoned project where someone just said "Good enough!" and shipped it as is.

6. The recipes themselves need a good look over for consistency and logic. A chest wrap has 0.5 L volume, 0.14 lbs weight, and takes 1 minute and 9 rags to create. A single rag has 0.25 L volume and 0.18 lbs weight. Why would anyone ever use the bundle of rags item when they can store nine rags without losing string and somehow break the first law of thermodynamics in the process? Don't even get me started on a 0.18 lbs rag being crafted with 80x 0.11 lbs thread.
"balance" isn't expressly something we're going for as such but the things you're describing are all parts of constant auditing efforts. If you'd like to help fix some of the ones you've noticed, it's a pretty enormous ongoing project with a very low entry barrier :)

7. Combat's pretty deadly for a new character. I figured out early in my first few games to avoid confrontation and spend time grinding skills and gear instead. Hopefully I'll experience more interesting stuff later once I have a character that can survive anything more hostile than a stiff breeze.
This is by design, but I'd like NPC interactions to help to teach more about what to do to keep safe.

8. The skill system is a grind, and also easily gamed. Ranks come quickly by repeat crafting items at your current level. For tailoring, I just picked a cheap recipe that I could disassemble for full returned resources and pumped them out. Presto, rank up! Only cost is time, meaning the game creates an incentive to hole up for the start of every game in a safe location and grind skill ranks instead of challenging the map.
We're hoping to have the new system in place for 0.F stable, or at least the bones of it. The overall plan is too big to summarize, but basically we want to make the "skill" levels much slower to gain, and add lateral, often easier to gain, "proficiencies" that represent more specific individual knowledge bases (eg. 'carpentry' or 'blacksmithing'). As well, we're adding 'practice' actions which automate the process of crafting/uncrafting the same recipe, so that rather than paying in keypresses and patience you're primarily paying just with in-game time. This plays into the overall design goal of, yes, incentivizing holing up and grinding - which you might in fact do during an apocalypse - but dramatically accelerating that downtime, watching a week of supplies run out ideally over minutes as you do various semi-background functions. I don't know if you're aware that the world progresses in your absence as well, with zombies becoming more dangerous the more you sit and let them evolve.

9. I don't really care about tile sets, and play the game just fine in ASCII format. Shame that so much time and energy gets spent on features that add nothing to the game for me.
To each their own, the tiles version is downloaded something like 10 times as much.

Closing remarks: I wouldn't recommend this game to any of my friends. I probably won't play it again once I've satisfied myself that I can build a successful character and have them survive in most situations. Still, the game has a lot of potential, and I hope the development team can fix some of the more glaring errors in the design over simply adding window dressing. Also, great cooking system. Top marks for that.
I suspect there's a fair bit of depth you've yet to explore: I remember telling my wife after a week or so that cdda was an interesting game but I was about done with it. As for "window dressing", the core contributors alone are around 30-40 people, so fortunately a couple of us can work on display and art while others adjust design or optimize code. However, it's never likely to not be a hodge-podge of work from hundreds of people, I suppose that's what makes it so fun to develop.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:58:58 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 23, 2020, 06:07:00 pm »

I probably won't play it again once I've satisfied myself that I can build a successful character and have them survive in most situations.
No! You shouldn't be satisfied until your hospital-abandoned 4-strength weakling crafts himself an armoured deathmobile camper in which to scour the land far and wide, searching for parts, recipes, and cooking ingredients in order to become an Alpha-mutated superhuman cyborg (that dies from one lucky shot anyway).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 23, 2020, 09:49:12 pm »

I probably won't play it again once I've satisfied myself that I can build a successful character and have them survive in most situations.
No! You shouldn't be satisfied until your hospital-abandoned 4-strength weakling crafts himself an armoured deathmobile camper in which to scour the land far and wide, searching for parts, recipes, and cooking ingredients in order to become an Alpha-mutated superhuman cyborg (that dies from one lucky shot anyway).
...should have gone Medical.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 24, 2020, 10:10:03 am »

Just saying in case you don't know - some tilesets, like UltiCa and DeadPeople, have icons that indicate stuff like unpulped corpses, indicators for if you're bleeding or poisoned, and a brief overview of your character so you can see what you're wearing and holding - which can save a little bit of time.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 57