Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 114359 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #750 on: August 24, 2020, 03:30:01 pm »

Yes, in general the tileset display is a lot more information-dense than the ASCII one.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 24, 2020, 07:11:44 pm »

Isn't there a phrase for that? An image is worth a whole kilobyte's worth of text, or something like that... :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 29, 2020, 09:49:57 pm »

While I I'm at it, might as well post some Arcana mod_tileset work I've done recently. 3 of 5 five boss creatures:

The last one took the most time and effort to make, not to mention a lot of feedback from people on the modder server, the fan server, and Erk's tileset server. For reference, this thing from Ultica formed the bulk of the base sprite:

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 31, 2020, 07:22:49 pm »

Pretty scary.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 04, 2020, 12:15:13 am »

So I've finally started a character on 0.E-2, and initial impressions aside (more questionable design choices but the motion tracker and expanded chem stuff are cool), I've got a question: was something done to gun store spawns? I'm on day 79 with city size 12/distance 4, I've fully explored one of those large cities formed by a couple towns mashing together and parts of two others as well as a scattering of small towns... and I've found one gun store. Literally only one. It was the variant with no loot, broken vending machines, and a half-destroyed barricade at the back to boot. I know (and am glad) that building spawns were tweaked ages ago to make a semi-sane ratio of houses to stores, but none of the other stores or special buildings are having trouble spawning. Hell, I've found more dojos this run than gun stores.

So basically the only guns I have are the random pistols and Remington 870s from zombie spawns, MP5A2s from robbing police stations, and a small mountain of M4A1s (plus one or two each of the rarer soldier zombie drops). It's not really a big deal right now because I tend to go pure melee while ramping up and only swap over to guns in lategame anyway (in particular after I have decent stocks of ammo and have found a Taekwondo book), but at this rate I'm just going to stick to Ninjutsu cheese forever.

I guess it fits that I'm just using a knife and a Luger since this character was supposed to be a Mio Honda Steppin' Through the Apocalypse meme anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 07, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »

Afaik gun store spawns haven't changed, it's meant to be the US after all.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 08, 2020, 06:06:16 am »

I finally found a chemistry textbook and unlocked the chemistry system.

Yikes.

What's the go with black gunpowder? Why can it be crafted from oxidizer powder (which I'm assuming is ammonium perchlorate from the crafting ingredients), lye powder (which I have to assume is the more historic classification for potassium hydroxide and not the more proper nomenclature for nitrogen hydroxide), and charcoal (carbon)? Where the heck is the sulfur in this formula? Isn't this a formula for sulfur-free gunpowder, a.k.a. smokeless powder?

I'd assume this reaction is 6 KNO3 + C7H4O → 3 K2CO3 + 4 CO2 + 2 H2O + 3 N2 for the ignition. So you're making potassium nitrate from the potassium hydroxide and ammonium percholate ingredients, producing perchloric acid and oxygen gas as a byproduct? That's... well, it's not actually smokeless powder, but it's still not black powder. Although yes, the carbon content would make it black, but stop being pedantic about my pedantry, dammit! It's not my fault the nomenclature fails to account for the proper nuance. Plus, good luck producing prismenal from charcoal without significant industrial purification methods.

Also, from my play, I note a significant lack of methods of obtaining sulfur. Honestly, the game needs a few methods of extracting sulfur from every day ingredients.

Did you know that until recently, most laundry detergents used sodium sulfate to bulk their product? It's because it's the garbage left over from more useful reactions involving sulfuric acid, such as the Mannheim or Hargreaves process. Just dump it in laundry powder and the plebs will pay you for your garbage. It's usually between 40-60% of the detergent's content by mass, too.

You can mix sodium sulfate in water and precipitate the sodium out of the liquid by leading a mixture of chlorine gas and sulfur dioxide gas through the liquid. Once you do this, you have hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid in the solution, which can be boiled off and collected separately, leaving behind whatever other crud was in the stuff.

If you're interested, here's the original patent from 1946 for this process.

Seems like a decent option for a crafting recipe to produce sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, and salt, plus whatever you wanna call the leftover detergent scum, be it soapy water, soap flakes or whatnot. You'd need a method of capturing and storing chlorine and sulfur dioxide gas though, which shouldn't be too hard. The recipe for lye from salt water in the game is already supposed to produce chlorine gas (it's using the chloralkali process) and you can produce sulfur dioxide by heating metallic sulfides. Hint: most common disposable batteries use lithium-iron sulfide as their ingredients.

Anyway, the chemistry system could stand some fine tuning.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 08, 2020, 08:55:08 am »

American towns have a proper gun store and potentially one or two sporting goods type stores that also sell guns. Even a town of a couple thousand could potentially have more than one gun store and maybe even one more between one town and the next. This is true in a lot of places including the New England states where Cata is set.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 08, 2020, 09:57:33 am »

American towns have a proper gun store and potentially one or two sporting goods type stores that also sell guns. Even a town of a couple thousand could potentially have more than one gun store and maybe even one more between one town and the next. This is true in a lot of places including the New England states where Cata is set.
A few new buildings were added earlier this year and some other city/town building spawns might have been tweaked. If average city size hasn't been increased and gun store spawns weren't changed, then the new buildings are probably pushing out gun stores by decreasing their relative spawn chance.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 08, 2020, 11:02:43 pm »

@jimmy: most of the requirements are in place for a huge chemistry rework, and we've had a few people poke at the fringes, but it will either be a very slow process or awaits someone to come really dive into it. If you want to come audit some of the really dumb recipes we have currently, it would be welcome.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 09, 2020, 12:01:13 pm »

So I've finally started a character on 0.E-2, and initial impressions aside (more questionable design choices but the motion tracker and expanded chem stuff are cool), I've got a question: was something done to gun store spawns? I'm on day 79 with city size 12/distance 4, I've fully explored one of those large cities formed by a couple towns mashing together and parts of two others as well as a scattering of small towns... and I've found one gun store. Literally only one. It was the variant with no loot, broken vending machines, and a half-destroyed barricade at the back to boot. I know (and am glad) that building spawns were tweaked ages ago to make a semi-sane ratio of houses to stores, but none of the other stores or special buildings are having trouble spawning. Hell, I've found more dojos this run than gun stores.

So basically the only guns I have are the random pistols and Remington 870s from zombie spawns, MP5A2s from robbing police stations, and a small mountain of M4A1s (plus one or two each of the rarer soldier zombie drops). It's not really a big deal right now because I tend to go pure melee while ramping up and only swap over to guns in lategame anyway (in particular after I have decent stocks of ammo and have found a Taekwondo book), but at this rate I'm just going to stick to Ninjutsu cheese forever.

I guess it fits that I'm just using a knife and a Luger since this character was supposed to be a Mio Honda Steppin' Through the Apocalypse meme anyways.

It could be that the mashup of towns overwrote the gunshop spawns with something else.  Say each town is supposed to generate with a gun shop, and three spawned overlapping, and the gunshop portions of 2 out of 3 got overwritten.  I've generally seen one per large town.  Small ones generally don't generate gun shops...which means it's New England, not other rural parts of the US where every other small town has at least a small gunshop.  Plus Walmart sells guns, and they're all over the place.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 10, 2020, 05:35:47 pm »

It could be that the mashup of towns overwrote the gunshop spawns with something else.  Say each town is supposed to generate with a gun shop, and three spawned overlapping, and the gunshop portions of 2 out of 3 got overwritten.  I've generally seen one per large town.  Small ones generally don't generate gun shops...which means it's New England, not other rural parts of the US where every other small town has at least a small gunshop.  Plus Walmart sells guns, and they're all over the place.

That's what I'm inclined to think happened; I went farther afield and towns started having the 2-3 per that I remember.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 10, 2020, 04:28:22 am »

So, how exactly is 0.F? It sounds really close, and a feature freeze for bug fixing was much needed.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 10, 2020, 04:41:46 am »

You can check the progress on 0.F here :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/projects/37

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 10, 2020, 07:53:33 am »

Say what you will about the situation in that dreaded Outside area, COVID has been great for the indy game scene!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57