Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 113833 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #780 on: October 19, 2020, 01:11:53 pm »

Hey now, let us keep away from the personal attacks.

Days since this topic was locked > 0 , let's keep it that way.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 19, 2020, 01:21:33 pm »

Pretty sure Erk is an artist, not a coder. Seems a bit unfair to expect them to be both.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 19, 2020, 02:09:00 pm »

Pretty sure Erk is an artist, not a coder. Seems a bit unfair to expect them to be both.
Alright, to be fair, Erk probably would have been kicked out of the dev team for "slowing development" or whatever other excuse they would have come up with if they went looking for answers to the degree that I had initially hoped for when they took over as community manager here.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 19, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »

Afaik the initial presentation of proficiencies checks and updates craft time if you gain proficiency mid craft, but I haven't checked it myself. When I say I'm done, I mean I'm done the stuff I am capable of doing, which is adding proficiencies to recipes. Although I've actually taken some time to learn enough to add them to a few hard coded activities as well.
Ah, the Kevin style of cata development:

"I've implemented all the downsides to my weird changes that literally nobody wants. Good enough, everything is broken now, which is realism!"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 19, 2020, 02:16:23 pm »

"I've implemented all the downsides to my weird changes that literally nobody wants. Good enough, everything is broken now, which is realism!"

Pretty much. You code first implementation yourself, ignore the prerequisites, then demand other people finish it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 19, 2020, 02:18:31 pm »

Afaik the initial presentation of proficiencies checks and updates craft time if you gain proficiency mid craft, but I haven't checked it myself. When I say I'm done, I mean I'm done the stuff I am capable of doing, which is adding proficiencies to recipes. Although I've actually taken some time to learn enough to add them to a few hard coded activities as well.

have my +1. 

seriously though, it's like Kevin is Brian Griffon in that episode of Family Guy where he takes Stewie's ADD meds, and we're GRR Martin having to listen to him explain the whole thing, in detail, just to be like "it's crap."  None of this is fun, OR realistic.  It seems spiteful and just someone marking their territory and saying "this thing someone else made is all mine now!".  And no offense to Erk, I get you enjoy being a part of some small aspect of this "game's" development, but it's kind of sad you get to be the one jumping in front of the bullet for the guy

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 19, 2020, 04:21:27 pm »

The proficiencies seem to over complicate things, and looking at discussions on GitHub they seem to want to make the blacksmithing one something you can't learn in game and that doesn't make since to me.

Eh? No. I just finished making it easier to learn it in fact.

There was initially some talk about making some of the base proficiencies like metalworking require a teacher or book, but I found a better way to do it.

It doesn't really change that Erk's code diving skills seem a bit sparse for a dev. I mean, I haven't asked about anything in ages because I don't expect them to have the answer for anything that isn't just surface code.
They ought to be, I was recruited for and spend all my time doing JSON stuff, when I'm not drawing pixel art.

As to the personal attacks, it had been nice that this thread for the last dozen or so pages had been talking about the game and what's going on in it rather than your personal dislike for the devs or your opinion on whether or not I need to know c++ really well to work on the content and draw tilesets (seriously?) If you didn't like the way cdda was going five, three, or one year ago, yes: you will continue to not like the way it is going. We're just going to continue adding stuff that we enjoy playing, and our concepts of fun are clearly very different. You could try checking out Coolthulhu's fork. It's not at all what I'm into but that would be a selling point for some folks.

I generally try to avoid responding to random_dragon, but I feel I should point out:
You code first implementation yourself, ignore the prerequisites, then demand other people finish it.
I didn't code first implementation, anothersimulacrum did (and did a great job of it, the whole thing has gone in incredibly smoothly with very few bugs). There are plenty of feature we consider important and still have on the docket, like selecting starting proficiencies and having books provide proficiency boosts. Those are all clearly posted in the plans for things. I'm adding the actual proficiencies and applying them to recipes, and that's the thing that I feel is at a point now where I can arbitrarily call it finished for stable. This was a project that, from the very inception, was conceived as a group effort and has continued that way, with esotericist and curstwist joining in on some of the extra features because that kind of teamwork is why we all enjoy working on this. Your assertion completely misses the entire way the cdda project functions and remains afloat, and manages to be condescending and insulting while doing it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:53:33 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 19, 2020, 04:48:34 pm »

Is it too much to ask to just have some actual BENEFIT to proficiencies? Not just from a player's perspective, but a modder's one. I'm not really all that eager to actually make use of the ability to add custom proficiencies to magic stuff, for example, if all I can do is make the recipes more tedious for characters that lack them. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 19, 2020, 05:35:40 pm »

Is it too much to ask to just have some actual BENEFIT to proficiencies? Not just from a player's perspective, but a modder's one. I'm not really all that eager to actually make use of the ability to add custom proficiencies to magic stuff, for example, if all I can do is make the recipes more tedious for characters that lack them. :/
If you can't see any uses for a way to make recipe time and failure rates flexible based on character details, or to gate or streamline access to wide fields of craftable items based on stuff like completing quests, then I can't help you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:44:57 pm by Erk »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 19, 2020, 06:16:40 pm »

It doesn't really change that Erk's code diving skills seem a bit sparse for a dev. I mean, I haven't asked about anything in ages because I don't expect them to have the answer for anything that isn't just surface code.
They ought to be, I was recruited for and spend all my time doing JSON stuff, when I'm not drawing pixel art.

As to the personal attacks, it had been nice that this thread for the last dozen or so pages had been talking about the game and what's going on in it rather than your personal dislike for the devs or your opinion on whether or not I need to know c++ really well to work on the content and draw tilesets (seriously?) If you didn't like the way cdda was going five, three, or one year ago, yes: you will continue to not like the way it is going. We're just going to continue adding stuff that we enjoy playing, and our concepts of fun are clearly very different. You could try checking out Coolthulhu's fork. It's not at all what I'm into but that would be a selling point for some folks.
You signed on as community manager by starting this thread in continuation from the previous one. Being unable to answer fairly basic questions is kind of a big deal unless you stepped down from that role without telling anyone here.

Not sure you can really talk about five years ago either, seeing as you've only been with the team for two.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 19, 2020, 06:36:40 pm »

You signed on as community manager by starting this thread in continuation from the previous one. Being unable to answer fairly basic questions is kind of a big deal unless you stepped down from that role without telling anyone here.

Not sure you can really talk about five years ago either, seeing as you've only been with the team for two.
I'm not sure what questions you feel I haven't been able to answer. Generally I know what's going on with game development as well as anyone (less so since covid decimated my hobby time), and while I don't code major features in C++, I can't think of anything complex about the code itself I've even been asked here.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 19, 2020, 07:33:58 pm »

I'm not sure what questions you feel I haven't been able to answer. Generally I know what's going on with game development as well as anyone (less so since covid decimated my hobby time), and while I don't code major features in C++, I can't think of anything complex about the code itself I've even been asked here.
I took a screenshot of that "NPCs teleporting into another map tile on map update" thing last year, and I didn't get a response. Not even sure if that's fixed at this point, since you had initially replied to a previous post saying you were unable to replicate it and then you just disappeared for a few months.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 19, 2020, 07:43:22 pm »

As I recall, I shared your post with some of the other devs, who fixed that bug shortly afterwards. Sorry I didn't get back to you about it, but that seems like an odd thing to hold against me so much that you feel it's important to target me personally over a year later.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 19, 2020, 08:18:35 pm »

As I recall, I shared your post with some of the other devs, who fixed that bug shortly afterwards. Sorry I didn't get back to you about it, but that seems like an odd thing to hold against me so much that you feel it's important to target me personally over a year later.
I actually didn't remember that one until I saw it while searching through my old posts. Not sure why you feel like this is personal either. If someone else was the community manager, it'd be them getting my complaints.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 19, 2020, 08:44:25 pm »

"community manager" isn't really a thing, I'm just the only developer still willing to engage with this particular group of players despite stuff like ... Well, like this.

I'm not sure how to interpret stuff like "It doesn't really change that Erk's code diving skills seem a bit sparse for a dev" as anything other than a personal dig? You called me out and then over several posts elaborated on what you perceive as an inadequacy, and then clarified that it is apparently over something from over a year ago that you didn't actually remember. What's your game here? Is this something you consider a normal, neutral interaction with someone?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 57