Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead  (Read 114816 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »

There's always the Git commit history, though you'd need to compile the game yourself.
I had a feeling it might come to that in the end - I suppose if nothing turns up, one day when i'm feeling the desire for such (mis)adventurr I'll look into compiling an old version.

Despair not! There are some old versions up here: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/

Assuming you're looking for windows tiles, here are direct links for
0.B: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.B-2399.zip
0.C circa 2015: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.C-2834.zip
0.C from hallowe'en 2018: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.C-8083.zip

I would point out that you shouldn't necessarily skip out on the current version just because of something you read. The old versions don't let you build a car that can turn into a boat, powered by a salvaged helicopter engine; or build a small army of stupid but oddly useful NPCs and get them to make a castle for you and do your laundry; or let you press "O" and automatically disperse your loot into a dozen tidy piles in a few seconds; or blow a house up with a fireball spell; or climb onto a rooftop and snipe zombies several floors below; or, like a pied piper, lure zombies up to a balcony and climb down to watch them reach for you and plummet to their demise; or find a scroll of Cause Bear.

Of course, if you played the new version and are really not into it, that's another matter (if it's gun fouling that turns you off I'd even be on your side, although I think we've got a fix planned or already merged). I just would caution against picking something out of the changelog - or worse, something someone else saw in the changelog - and writing the whole game off because of it. Some of the changes I've seen get a lot of bad word of mouth didn't even wind up getting merged into the game.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:32:57 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2019, 02:24:12 pm »

There's always the Git commit history, though you'd need to compile the game yourself.
I had a feeling it might come to that in the end - I suppose if nothing turns up, one day when i'm feeling the desire for such (mis)adventurr I'll look into compiling an old version.

Despair not! There are some old versions up here: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/

Assuming you're looking for windows tiles, here are direct links for
0.B: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.B-2399.zip
0.C circa 2015: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.C-2834.zip
0.C from hallowe'en 2018: https://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-promoted/Windows/Tiles/cataclysmdda-0.C-8083.zip

I would point out that you shouldn't necessarily skip out on the current version just because of something you read. The old versions don't let you build a car that can turn into a boat, powered by a salvaged helicopter engine; or build a small army of stupid but oddly useful NPCs and get them to make a castle for you and do your laundry; or let you press "O" and automatically disperse your loot into a dozen tidy piles in a few seconds; or blow a house up with a fireball spell; or climb onto a rooftop and snipe zombies several floors below; or, like a pied piper, lure zombies up to a balcony and climb down to watch them reach for you and plummet to their demise; or find a scroll of Cause Bear.

Of course, if you played the new version and are really not into it, that's another matter (if it's gun fouling that turns you off I'd even be on your side, although I think we've got a fix planned or already merged). I just would caution against picking something out of the changelog - or worse, something someone else saw in the changelog - and writing the whole game off because of it. Some of the changes I've seen get a lot of bad word of mouth didn't even wind up getting merged into the game.
Thank you for the links, when I have time i'll see about getting back into one of the older versions.

A fair amount of what I have read, on the topic of the newer versions, has been reactions to ongoing changes. Of course, some of that as noted, may well have been reactions to changes that never got merged that I'm simply misremembering as being a point of contention. Being one of those that got into the game back when Whales was actively developing it and having initially fallen in love with the survival-lite game that was emerging there's also going to be rose tinted lenses involved in what I perceive of the game - I suppose I should mull over giving one of the new or nightly versions a shot instead though, as then the elements that I like or dislike'll be possible to quantify and convey any feedback over.

Though with that said I may go for a version utilising your tileset when it's complete as breaking away from the ascii i'm familiar with at the same time would make the entire experience feel that little bit more fresh and new. Shaking things up like that'd ensure i'm not looking at it as a case of the same old game, but worse before i've even given it chance to show its direction and development for itself.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2019, 02:32:18 pm »

So as one of the developers who has been making a lot of player visible changes in the vehicle code, can I ask you to specify what about Mad Max car-building that has become so much more unreliable?
If you want suggestions, I think it's really annoying how you can no longer move large storage batteries without a crane. It used to be a convenient way to transfer electric charge between vehicles, for example to power a small floodlight that doesn't have its own generator. You might also want to pry out the batteries to disassemble them for electronics crafting, even if you're not otherwise looking to work with vehicles.
It's irritating, because there's no obvious reason for it to be difficult. If my character has the requisite tools to disassemble the whole rest of the car, why can't he disassemble the battery without lifting it? Why would you design a vehicle in such a way that the batteries, which are supposedly meant to be swappable, cannot be moved without a crane? It's just an arbitrary gameplay limitation, mostly stemming from the fact that no one bothered to consider it when the lift requirements were added. There's been an open bug report since March 2018 about the game not having enough tools for lifting things.
I think the elegant solution would be to make vehicles use a large number of medium storage batteries instead of two large ones. Or a large battery container that holds multiple medium batteries on a single tile. The battery pack on a modern Tesla is more or less the entire bottom of the vehicle, and the issue with removing that is less lifting it and more stripping the rest of the car away, but there's no reason you couldn't make it modular if you wanted it to be user-serviceable.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:51:53 pm by Soadreqm »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2019, 02:45:20 pm »

ptw

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2019, 09:40:56 pm »

I'd like to weigh in on cata, not to cause drama but just to have a say.

It feels confused as to whether it wants to be a simulation or, well, a game. Let me explain. The basic gameplay loop is collecting junk and turning that junk into useful objects, which allow you to access new areas with new junk. You also collect 'treasure' in the form of immediately useful tools, gear, weapons.

This loop demands that you learn a series of hyper-realistic interactions between objects. These interactions are sometimes straightforward, like boiling water with the interaction menu, yet in many cases they are downright obtuse. Even undiscoverable unless you read forums and tutorials, or use the recipe browser. This can be both rewarding, when you find out a useful new recipe you didn't think existed, or frustrating, when you notice a glaring hole in the 'realism' of the game. It's frustrating to experience such depth in certain areas, and yet a completely shallow interpretation of our physical world in other areas. Some things are too damn difficult, like when an interaction is locked behind the acquisition of ONE PARTICULAR ITEM I CAN NEVER FIND, while other things are too easy, like surviving in the woods which is fairly unrewarding. I wish I had more examples but I don't have access to the game for a while.

All this realistic interaction between objects involves quite a bit of digging through menu options and keybind lists. I find the interface of CDDA to be much less elegant than DF. Painful, even. The game is bogged down by too many unique menu styles. This design choice is explained as necessary due to the complexity of the aformentioned interactions, and also the fact that this game is collaboratively developed. However, navigating through three layers of menu in order to perform a particular action is unrewarding, and sometimes you need to perform that same action multiple times. I believe macros exist but macros are only a patchwork solution to rough interfaces. Menu interaction and inventory management should not take up the majority of gameplay, especially in a game that promises so much action.

I suppose that's my main issue with the game, this mixture of hyper-realistic world interaction with poorly designed interfaces, and a lack of in-game reward for many of these mechanics. When I play CDDA my time is wasted on unfun interactions with some rather tedious survival mechanics, hoping and wishing for a particular object which will grant me the privilege of no longer needing to perform those tedious survival mechanics. That's like throwing the player in a deep hole of suffering where the only reward for progress is less suffering. And when I mean suffering, I don't mean the fun kind, the roguelike kind of 'losing is fun' or the DF !!FUN!!, I just mean tedium.

I can't roleplay in CDDA because the survival systems discourage certain styles of play, and I can't play the game 'straight' because there is almost no fun to be had in simply surviving. Is CDDA a place to explore interesting character concepts, or is it a place to test your knowledge of survival mechanics? There is no clarity here, and the game gets in the way of either playstyle.

This is why I don't think you will never be able to call CDDA 'well-designed'. The incremental, multi-authored nature of development combined with a rather inconsistently applied philosophy of hyper-realistic world interaction will always produce areas of unsatisfying tedium. I don't particularly care to perform the complex inventory shuffling required to build a house if it isn't properly rewarded within the games mechanics. You can just as easily live in someone's shed, and that doesn't take a literal hour of navigating menus.

The game 'felt' better in the past, and while it is true I am free to find and play those older versions, I am also free to comment on the lack of satisfying design in recent game updates. Just because it makes things more 'real' doesn't mean it should be added to the game. Especially when the definition of 'real' is arbitrarily decided by one or two people.

And again, I'm just writing all this to express myself, not to neg on anyone or to stir up drama. If you wish to discuss what I have written just be polite! And try to engage with my ideas and avoid nitpicking these words literally - I don't have the time to edit these kinds of posts and I'm sure I've left things out or contradicted myself. But the ideas, those are real. .

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2019, 11:08:42 am »

Good fucking god, I just found what might be the most useless artifact I've ever encountered. Evil passive, -3 STR, -2 all attributes, stealth passive. Wow, that's genuinely awful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2019, 12:07:22 pm »

The artifact code is ancient and goofy. We've got a cool rework almost done thanks to magiclysm needing functional magic items.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2019, 12:58:59 pm »

The artifact code is ancient and goofy. We've got a cool rework almost done thanks to magiclysm needing functional magic items.

I've definitely been interested in seeing where it goes, yeah.

I'd like to weigh in on cata, not to cause drama but just to have a say.

I think you've summarized the issues that divide the community's opinion of the game in a fairly reasonable manner. It's hard to add more depth to the game in general without adding more tedium, and there is the occasional perceived trend that a lot of the people involved in the heavy lifting don't pay as much attention to mitigating that as the manner might deserve. Contributions of all kinds come in, many contributions (especially by Mark and Erk) have done just as much to mitigate this, but the sheer volume of contributions means that the big-picture result is the overall trend you've noticed.

As for innawoods though, I do find a bit of morbid humor in your observations on that, because for a long time innawoods was the playstyle that suffered from this the most. It's had ups and downs over the years, but various developers and contributors (including my own brief time as a contributor) have done a lot to improve that. The trend unfortunately has still been that the underlying gameplay fundamentals trend towards more tedium regardless of playstyle, and some playstyles remain disproportionately affected as a result, is the way I would put it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »

Here's as much of the weekly changelog as my phone will let me post. I'll add the missing portions about bugfixes etc soon perhaps.

Previous Changelog

Changes for: October 14-October 20, 2019

Covers experimental builds: 9759

Jenkins build changelog

Minor changes and fixes not listed.

Note: Stable 0.D is now recommended for newer players or any person who doesn’t want to risk game breaking bugs.  Experimental versions will be riskier, back up your saves.

0.D Official Release Build (#8574)

Content:

* add 4 more nested house foundations #34692 by curstwist in Build 9760.
* add-superalloy-dog-suit-to-nanofabricator #34717 by snipercup in Build 9760.
* add roof, landscaping, cosmetic changes to house\_w\_1 #34728 by curstwist in Build 9763.
* add some domestic furniture and terrain #34734 by curstwist in Build 9763.
* add roof, landscaping to house\_w\_2 #34788 by curstwist in Build 9772.
* add roof, landscaping and cosmetic upgrades to house\_w\_3 #34810 by curstwist in Build 9777.
* Add monsters to railroad station #34783 by snipercup in Build 9778.
* Adds new styles to Close Quarters Battle CBM #34812 by Hymore246 in Build 9778.
* Adjust blanket deconstruct recipe time #34819 by snipercup in Build 9778.  Fixes #34757.
* Add wretched pukers #34396 by Axema in Build 9778.  Make an exclusive monster for dumpsites.
* Mainline/jsonify megastore #34625 by chaisawlajatang in Build 9778.  Mainline jsonified megastore from the Mapgen Demo mod.
* Basements update #34657 by chaisawlajatang in Build 9778.
* Update tele\_sight description #34802 by kevingranade in Build 9778.  Describe telescopic sight as post apocalyptic.
* \[Magiclysm\] add adult black dragon spawn to lair. #34809 by curstwist in Build 9777.
* Lifestraw #34390 by Maleclypse in Build 9784.
* More realistic contents of bots and turrets #34817 by Night-Pryanik in Build 9787. Added targeting modules to craft and uncraft recipes for turrets that were lacking them. Added robotic controls to craft and uncraft recipes for all turrets and bots. Also tweaked recipe for turret control unit. Now it additionally requires identification module, and can use camera or camera pro or security camera or sensor module.
* Made the Sledge Hammer a two-handed weapon. #34853 by cmazzullo in Build 9787.
* Add roof, landscape to house\_w\_5 #34863 by curstwist in Build 9787.
* Add roof, landscape to house w 4 #34848 by curstwist in Build 9787.

Features:

* Running/crouching while swimming will result in faster/slower swim speed #34770 by Night-Pryanik in Build 9768.
* Allow auto targeting mode for turrets only with installed turret control unit #34202 by Night-Pryanik in Build 9772.
* Vehicle autopilot part for patrolling / auto-farming etc #34616 by davidpwbrown in Build 9778.
* vehicles: allow multiple vehicles on a bike rack #34740 by mlangsdorf in Build 9780.

Balance:

* Add strong antibiotic: destragon. #34679 by Malkeus in Build 9762.  Add a rare and unhealthy prescription drug to make use of the STRONG\_ANTIBIOTIC flag.
* Martial Arts Rebalance for Taekwondo #34711 by Hymore246 in Build 9767.
* Changed celery volume to better reflect the mass-to-volume ratio in real life #34750 by y2s82 in Build 9768.
* Prevent counterattacks if tired or dead #34793 by Hymore246 in Build 9770.  Fixes #25629.
* Removes capacity from cable and battery CBM #34756 by Fris0uman in Build 9773.
* Martial Arts Rebalance for Tai Chi #34790 by Hymore246 in Build 9780.
* MAINT: Change light/powerdraw values of various handheld lights #34859 by Oddant1 in Build 9787.  closes #34799.
* Standardized chemical powders for 1 unit = 1/100 mol (part 1) #34833 by RDru in Build 9787.
* Standardize electric motors #34500 by ArcanErasmus in Build 9787.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2019, 04:50:53 am »

or let you press "O" and automatically disperse your loot into a dozen tidy piles in a few seconds;
In regards to this - can you define zones on a vehicle now? I'd LOVE to autodispatch perishable freezable food to a freezer, unperishable to a plain old cargo space, batteries to a place with a charger, etc.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2019, 06:13:48 am »

DESTRAGON! The Destruction Dragon!
Love, scriver~

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:00 am »

or let you press "O" and automatically disperse your loot into a dozen tidy piles in a few seconds;
In regards to this - can you define zones on a vehicle now? I'd LOVE to autodispatch perishable freezable food to a freezer, unperishable to a plain old cargo space, batteries to a place with a charger, etc.

Yes, you certainly can!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2019, 08:15:58 pm »

So, I've been belatedly tackling an idea that Hymore's rather interesting martial arts overhauls have made possible (though a handful of features depend on a PR that's still open): a martial art for Arcana.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2019, 10:32:02 pm »

Toad style kung fu got reworked, now you get some neat stuff in line with the way of playing this particular stance like getting a boost when geting hit or blocking and some more offensive moves so it doesnt feel like a purely tanking position. in fact i would dare to say it may be potentially broken as long as you know you have to keep the number of enemies in check and so on.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:51:41 pm by xaritscin »

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2019, 12:20:51 am »

It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out. Keeping the number of enemies in check is fairly tricky nowadays though.

Edit: I've been busy with work lately but still doing a bit of drawing, and several others have been contributing. I'm really happy with these seasonal cattails I did today.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:33:29 am by Erk »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57