Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At war with goblins  (Read 1087 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
At war with goblins
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:28 pm »

I just assumed that you were always in conflict with goblins but one of the dwarf nations in my new world is actually in a state of war with them.

That makes me wonder what the ramifications of being at war with the goblins is. They're eventually going to send raiding parties anyways. Is there any kind of extra effect of being at war? Are there options in game currently to stop being at war with the goblins? Is it possible ever to be at peace with the goblins so they're no longer hostile?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: At war with goblins
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 12:52:08 am »

Right now it doesn't make much difference as goblins will attack you regardless (doing so is a declaration of war, so then you're at war). Now, if you find yourself At War with humans or elves at the start, that's much more interesting.

Civs will also switch to At War if you're seen raiding them. And that will turn off your safety triggers too so they won't wait around for your population / wealth to increase (population 80 in vanilla settings).

Conversely starting At War due to Worldgen schenanigans (or even previous fortress mischief) won't effect your safety triggers. Something which it might be nice to see changed (given a warning on embark, of course).