Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Random Advice Thread  (Read 18193 times)

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Advice Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 04:32:03 pm »

See, I was going to suggest "a bandolier of airplane whiskey bottles." I guess your suggestion works, though.
Even better if they're still full!

For how long?
About as long as it takes for each guest to snatch their own bottle, and gulp it down! Say, first 5 mins or so, depending how fast I move from the front door to the back yard, while exchanging a few words with everyone on the way.

TammyS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 10:24:30 am »

Assume everything is a scam.

This is coming from experience, being a fairly gullible individual, I have learnt the hard way :/

I had a convincing phone call last year and ended up with a load of life admin having to cancel my bank cards and change all my passwords for everything, my bank did refund me but it took a lot of effort to get it all sorted. Now I know to always check the legitimacy of every call I receive. I use websites like https://scam-numbers.co.uk/ or https://who-called-gov.uk/ to check out any phone numbers of people calling me now, even when it sounds realistic. Better safe than sorry.

Chris_393

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2019, 07:12:36 pm »

Don't use the sniff-test technique on socks.   
I see.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 12:21:48 pm »

This is coming from experience, being a fairly gullible individual, I have learnt the hard way :/

I had a convincing phone call last year and ended up with a load of life admin having to cancel my bank cards and change all my passwords for everything, my bank did refund me but it took a lot of effort to get it all sorted. Now I know to always check the legitimacy of every call I receive. I use websites like https://scam-numbers.co.uk/ or https://who-called-gov.uk/ to check out any phone numbers of people calling me now, even when it sounds realistic. Better safe than sorry.
Seems like a scam to me

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 05:18:43 am »

100% can relate. I run a small business, and constantly get scam calls, emails, and reps from various entities trying to pull a fast one.

Assume everyone is out to profit at your expense. If you're wrong, enjoy the feeling of pleasant surprise. The ones you discover aren't out to get something from you are worth keeping as friends.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 04:09:52 am »

There's apps like Truecaller, which automatically do that work for you. It harvests your data and sells it, but it's already doing that when your friends use it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 10:18:08 am »

One saying has stuck with me whenever I consider using free apps, website registrations or services:

"If you're not the customer, you're the product."

If I'm not paying money to the company, I'm probably being sold to someone else. Or maybe both.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 12:04:03 pm »

Ooh, I'm going to use this for some form of feedback / suggestion to my current DF Bloodline project. 

What name (firsts and surname) would you give to a married dwarf couple where:
 he is a sword+3 dwarf/weaponsmith+5, and
 she appraiser+5/metal crafter+3? 

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2020, 01:51:41 pm »

Bloodaxe & Ironhammer.

Rather than being matri/patrilineal, I expect a child would be given whichever surname is from the richest/most influential clan.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 08:45:33 am »

One saying has stuck with me whenever I consider using free apps, website registrations or services:

"If you're not the customer, you're the product."

If I'm not paying money to the company, I'm probably being sold to someone else. Or maybe both.

The source of the quote gives more context. They were talking about advertising. For example if they give a "free" paper out at the metro station, the product being sold is how many people read the paper, and the customers are the advertisers. It's the same with TV, eyeballing the tube is free, but the more eyeballs the higher the bidding for the advertising slots.

For a small app developer they'll be almost all advertising driven and not data-selling. That's because you would really need to pay someone to oversee that, and unless there's quite a bit of data, it's not worth the value of paying someone a wage to handle that part of things. Also there's the cost of maintaining a server, database, database management etc, professional relationships with who you'd be selling the data to, etc. Basically I can't see this being a cost effective way to make money until it's scaled up quite a bit. What's someone's data worth? A few cents maybe? And you need to hire a pro to run this for you. Say you pay someone low wages of $30000 a year to handle this, and just pretending you don't have any infrastructure costs at all, and you get 10 cents worth of data a year per user, you'd need 300,000 users to break even on that. And that's vastly underestimating the actual costs. Data collection would actually be a little bit more involved than just pushing a button and data flow out and money flows in.

Feeding ads is much easier. You only need a lightweight back-end then, since the ads are served directly from your affiliate sites. Also they don't have to collect data about you to target ads. if you're playing an RPG about dragons for example, then the developers can charge more to advertisers in general that are relevant to that stuff. Just what the app is is relevant data for targeting ads, and being more specific than that may be diminishing returns. This would in fact be far easier: just make a ton of apps that are themselves niche, and feed each of them different ads targeted to the specific niche of that app.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:08:38 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 2 [3]