Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Foreign names, epithets, and apprentices  (Read 3386 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Foreign names, epithets, and apprentices
« on: October 25, 2019, 08:10:58 pm »

1. I just got a couple of dwarven migrants with goblin names. I know there's the thing where you get retired spies that retain their cover identities due to a bug, but those can be spotted due to inconsistencies. When I check the bio of Amxu's wife Nil, she still refers to him by his goblin name. Does this mean that he used to live with goblins (or others that speak the same language: I modded kobolds and ogres to do so), or what's the explanation here?

2. Used to be that getting 5 frags of a named mob was guaranteed to give someone an epithet, but not any more. Does the victim have to be a historical figure, or what's the difference now?

3. Is having an apprentice a clear indication of being a necromancer? I have a migrant now who's not even skilled in academics but still supposedly has an apprentice, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign names, epithets, and apprentices
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 11:07:26 pm »

1. It means they were raised in a goblin civ, but are now part of a dwarf civ. That's all. You'd have to check Legends for more details, but you'll find each civ has a good mix of races due to wars and immigration and the children of dwarves who just decided to study poetry in the Dark Pits. It's not anything sinister.

3. Poets, scientists and artists all have apprentices, so no.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:52:28 am »

AD. 1. Nothing sinister about traveling to a civ that habitually sends kidnappers abroad, no sir. ;) I got a startlingly high number of goblin-named dwarves now so I was wondering what was up. In my previous couple of games it was maybe 1 in a 100, now it's closer to 1 in 5 and also a lot of mentions in bios.

AD. 3. That guy is a poet in addition to a woodcutter so I guess that makes sense.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:17:16 am »

2. Yeah, I guess a historical figure is required. Looking at Breadbowl (42.06) save, a dwarf with 1 notable and six other goblin killed doesn't have a name, a dwarf with 13 notable kills does. It's more obvious who is notable for invaders who don't have species tag(s) that force them to be named (not sure which of can_learn or can_speak it was).

3. Necromancers don't automatically have hidden professions. I'm not sure what happens if you become a necromancer and then make up a false identity, however.